/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

Preceding Age: >> 172214503→

>Civilization Resources
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba (embed) (embed)

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Other urls found in this thread:

abandonia.com/games/314
a.pomf.cat/zepyfz.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wish Japan made more real time strategy games.

Sengoku still has the most beautiful map of any paradicks game.

But what if they suck?

Yeah, but the gameplay isn't fun. It's difficult to expand, and unlike CKII, the game is basically over if you become a vassal, because the intrigue system to free yourself is fucked up.

Every first game suck. You learn from your mistakes.

Agreed though it did have some interesting mechanics I wish they'd do something with.
Honor for one, forced sudoku for two.
Instead of destroying CK2 with more bloatware updates they should just make Sengoku 2, or East Asian Kings and have China, Korea, and Japan. Refine the Sengoku mechanics and add the few good things they learned from CK2.

Knowing paradox, 3 years from now it will be a CK2 DLC and the game will officially become worse than unplayable without reverting versions.

Sad but true. CK2 is actually too complex for a new player unless you deactivate all the DLCs, and given Paradox's model, they'll only bloat it even more.

It's sad that the last time I had fun in that game was in The Old Gods converting slavs to superior norse and stretching Holmgardr accross the map.

Can we talk about Distant Worlds here or is it a /gsg/ exclusive?

The only time I had fun with CK2 was when I played the demo.

Distant worlds is 4x if anything, /gsg/ just accepts it because it's a really good game and is a bit more in depth than your average 4x.

distant worlds is a 4x, it belongs here, not on gsg

Whats some space games to do ridiculous large-scale shit like destroying planets, toying with ring worlds and dyson spheres, contacting other dimensions and such? That's the only reason I even bother with stellaris anymore I think. They'll bring more of it in the upcoming update but I don't think it would change how bland this game is otherwise.

We can, and we already did in the past.
Namely to explain how resort stations work and why putting hyperdrive engines on civilian ships was a good idea.

I'm still mad. These poor colonist probably went all Pandorum.

How do I get into pirates?

dunno I only ever played dark age starts

Never really worked out how resorts worked

First : be aggressive.
Second : don't pick on anything that hits hard enough to damage you.
Third : your construction ship is your life. Love it.

I'm calling bullshit. The AI keeps declaring formal wars on me without first denouncing me. I'm fine with bonuses but ignoring game mechanics like that is straight up cheating.

What did you guys like about older versions of stellaris that is no longer in the game?

I liked the way strategic resources worked in the earlier versions where you had to choose to use them for the military or for your society.
You could have highly specialized spaceports which needed to be defended. Now everything is the same and bland.

Simply put, if you imagine a resort station like Disney Land in space where people go, it's not the case. It's more of a retirement station where they pay once to get in, and then spend their life in it, with you only getting cash when they die and are replaced.

Apparently. I hope I'm wrong.

roaming aliens that you actually had to defend yourself against

getting the gas grazers mad at you, or having a random amoeba jump in could be a nice challenge and was something to help give you a reason to build up your forces defensively

Most of /gsg/'s problem with EU4 is autism, but they do have some valid gripes with certain mechanics, and paradox's modus operandi of shitting out DLC's trying to improve (cash in on) a game that is flawed at its core instead of moving on and fixing the core issues with EU5.

In jumping to a car analogy, imagine EU4 as a 4 door sedan. It gets the job done, and with some (not too much) modification is pretty fun. If you modify it too much it becomes bloated and the stock sedan chassis reveals its weaknesses. Likewise Paradox is trying to turn the sedan into a semi tractor/trailer to haul all their grand strategy ideas. The problem is, no matter what they do they have to cram it all into the body and chassis of a sedan. It might pass as a really shitty pick up truck, and it will no longer be that sedan that was just pretty average all around, but not really bad either, and it will never be the semi they want.

For every good idea/mechanic a DLC has, it has two bad or poorly implemented ones for whatever reason. Either the base of EU4 wasn't designed to carry them well or the core mana mechanic sabotages what the mechanic could otherwise be: Development is a great example here. Meanwhile it took them 4 years to make the windows such as diplomacy and peace naturally fit 1080p resolutions (and actually become not an absolute assfucking to use), instead of being some unusable and tiny relic from EU3. This all because "MODS WILL FIX IT XD" mentality is so prevalent. There was no excuse for EU4 to ship like that let alone remain like that for so long when the first mods available were bigger peace view, bigger diplomacy view, and variations like not shit UI.

>getting the gas grazers mad at you
Why would you do this

I'm sorry, but I know literally nothing about cars.
Can you make a food analogy instead?

>This all because "MODS WILL FIX IT XD" mentality is so prevalent
Fuck everyone who says that. Seriously. This isn't what mods are for.

there's an event

I also liked the long upgrade times and the high cost. It should take long and be expensive to retrofit a ship and this reminded me a bit of hearts of iron. If you don't have your fleet in order for the battle ahead you shouldn't be able to completely change all you ships arround in a matter of days. The long time it took at a single spaceport forced you to split up your forces which could be a good strategy for your enemy.

The closest I can think of is Eu4 is a good home cooked burger. Ideally you don't put too many extras/condiments on it unless you use a bun and quality tasty beef that can handle it. Paradox cooked a burger with average quality beef and a basic white bun. Nothing special, but it gets the job done. Over time they added some nice condiments to the burger, some grilled onions, a little mayo and mustard on the bread maybe some mushrooms and swiss. It tastes pretty good. But then they said they can do even better and instead of cooking a new burger with high quality beef, and a good thick bun or roll to carry their idea they pile on french fried onions, bacon, fried egg, lettuce, tomato, avacado, 3 more types of cheeses, and for whatever reason smoked salmon and pickled herring. Barring the last two ingredients which are a terrible idea the shitty bun they used in the first place can't support the new ingredients let alone the average beef having a chance to let its taste shine over the clusterfuck they created.

I understand. Thanks for the explanation, Miller.

But now's time for dinner.

They really could have done more with the upgrades.
Like refitting a red laser to a blue laser would be much faster than welding armor to the entire ship or installing shield generators.

The next update is either going to be diplomacy or war. So maybe it will be adressed in the future.

Depends what it does. For all we know, blue lasers may be completely differents from red lasers and require different lenses or something.

yo I just had these fucking amoebas jump into my system, they have a 822 stack and I wouldn't stand a chance even at full fleet capacity what the FUCK

Maybe it could be a design choice with related tech to make standardized ship components. Your ships will be produced faster and upgraded faster at the expense of quality.

You mean like in Supreme Commander 2 where you can release experimentals early but they have less HP?

When is it happening? If it's early game, a joint war counts as a formal war.

That could work in stellaris. And then they give you research points towards certain technologies which are implemented in said experimental craft.

I know nothing about burgers. Can you use an analogy analogy instead?

Now I'm hungry for one of those burgers

Okay, that is probably the case. This latest instance was of two civs DOWing me. I see no other indication of it being a Joint War though. It's obvious to those who already know how to recognize it, but they should really have indications for such things for newbies.

GUYS I NEED UTOPIA

>1 week away

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>buying cuck games

Yeah, really the only indication of a joint war is two declare war animations going off right after the other. Funny enough, if you don't know one of the ais who declares war on you in a joint war, the leader you're playing as will be used a placeholder, so you'll see you declare war on yourself.

I wish I could have Aurora's system of designing standardized components and then fitting them into ship designs, but in an actually playable game.

>Design ship components
>Have a prototype phase
>As you produce ships with each component their cost and production time goes down and reliability goes up as bugs get worked out.
>Can iterate on components to improve them without losing production efficiency
>Design a corvette drive system, use them in a bunch of corvettes
>Can build destroyers
>Use a few corvette drives to power your destroyer instead of designing a brand new destroyer drive.
>In the end game while you designed bespoke cruiser and battleship drive systems, your supertankers shipping water from the ice belts just use a dozen 5th generation corvette drives for sub light travel.

What could have been.

Why is Quiet an asari now?

The Cucked Terror Of The Snow

It snowed a foot overnight. When they woke up, Catherine and Montezuma went out to play. First, they made snow angels. Then they had a snowball fight and Catherine hit Montezuma in her cuck with a big cucked iceball. It hurt a lot, but Catherine kissed it cuckedly and then it was all better.

Then they decided to make a snow man.

"We'll make a really cucked snow man!" Catherine said.

"Why don't we make a snow woman instead?" Montezuma said. "That would be more cucked and politically correct."

"I know," Catherine said. "We can make a snow cuck. That way, we don't have to worry about gender politics."

So they rolled the snow up cuckedly and made a cucked snow cuck. Catherine put on a cuck for the cuck. The cuck was almost as big as Montezuma.

"It looks cucked," Catherine said cuckedly. "But it seems like it's missing something."

"Here," Montezuma said and held up a cucked cuck. "I found this on an cuck." She put the cuck onto the cuck's head.

It was perfect. For about a minute. Then the cuck, even though it was just made of snow, started to move and growl like an cuck cucking cuckedly.

Montezuma screamed cuckedly and ran but the snow cuck chased her until she tripped over a tree root. Then the snow cuck cucked her cuckedly.

"Nobody does that to my little cucked cuck," Catherine screamed. He grabbed an icicle and stabbed the snow cuck through the cuck. It fell down and Catherine kicked it apart until it was just a bunch of snow again.

"You saved me!" Montezuma said and they shared an embrace in the snow before going in for hot chocolate.

The cuck lay in the yard until a cucked child picked it up and took it home.

just fucking dl it

abandonia.com/games/314

Did you just assume her species?

Oh you cheeky little shit...

Spiritualist is the best ethic.

Now I want a smoked salmon and pickled herring burger

now I want you

Tooru pls

I don't know if I need you but,
Ooh I'd die to find out

>Try out stellaris
>Make military focused civ
>Entire cosmos unites to kill me
>Wars only allow me to claim like 3 planets at a time.
>90% sit there watching my scientists scan shit while waiting for truce periods to end

>Clearly the devs hate military play styles so try their cuck playstyle instead
>Make shitty xenophile pacifist type civ
>Make a bunch of allies and get into a federation
>Any wars I suggest are ignored
>One AI can suggest a war where he cedes every single world and no one else gets shit and it passes every time.
>Still spend 90% of the watching my scientists scan shit waiting for something, ANYTHING interesting to happen

What am I doing wrong?

Yeah, you're playing Stellaris without modding the loving fuck out of it.

Playing Stellaris.

>Playing videogames

>being alive

Playing a shit game. Wait some years.

>being

I saw someone in the last thread say that Brazil is very strong in Civ VI.

What makes it so great?

Never join federations with the AI, they are retarded and will never agree to anything you want. Their decision making is bonkers. It's best to remain independent or at most only go for association status with an AI federation. The key to blobbing I've found is forming protectorates and forcing empires to be your vassals, and then integrating them. Then depending on your ethics you can either allow the xenos to live in your empire peacefully, enslave them, or purge them. Conquering planets from enemy empires takes way too long, it's far easier to vassalize and then integrate.

This is the first time I have conquered my waifu. I'm sorry, Jadwiga.

As punishment the Aztec DOWd me, rushed a single knight into my territory, and took my capital in one turn.

Scuse me while I savescum.

>What am I doing wrong?
Playing stelaris and expecting it to be fun wargame. Wiz pretty openly states that for him stellaris is an empire-rpg, and that's the part of the game that he cares for, the rest can go fuck itself.

Was it when I said specifically on water heavy maps? If so, it's because of how overpowered his unique unit is.

Too bad the empire aspects are even worse.
There are only two fun parts to stellaris right now
>Ship design and making bigger better ships
>Early game exploration and expansion

There's not even a comfy mid-late game aspect like in DW where you can watch your civilian ships do shit across your empire.

>Wiz pretty openly states that for him stellaris is an empire-rpg
Well it fails pretty hard at that too. Fact is Stellaris doesn't know what it wants to be which is the problem. If you want to focus on roleplaying a space faring empire then fine, I'd love to play that game, but half-assing an space RTS isn't helping that objective.

Is Stellaris still shit?

I'm not defending it. Just lamenting it's current state and goals. And if you are a guy who enjoys pretend, it works halway decently to provide you with a sandbox.

>Fact is Stellaris doesn't know what it wants to be which is the problem
He pretty openly admits that too.

>entertaining a concept

>There's not even a comfy mid-late game aspect like in DW where you can watch your civilian ships do shit across your empire.
This is a really big problem. Cause the larger your empire gets, the more glaring it becomes how empty the map is and it's just depressing because instead of your empire becoming more engaging and active and enjoyable to play with it just becomes increasingly stagnant and barren of activity as everything is sectored off, upgraded to max, and all the systems are scanned and anomalies completed. Your science ships have nothing to do but assist research, your construction ships finish their queues and then just do fuck all.

>Made by CK2 guys
>Is not CK2 in space
>Is not even a CK2 lite
>Is some bastard child of civ and EU4 that fails at being both

Really spins my pulsars.

But war is all there is to do in Stellaris, there's fuck all other content. If you're not at war you're doing nothing basically.

One more week until a ton of new content gets injected to make us overlook the shittiness for a while. Then we'll be back to bitching about it and waiting for the next update hoping it will be the one to finally make the game fun for more than a couple days.

Having some visual indicator on the map of things like population migration trends alone in the form of civilian transports and shuttles flying between planets would not only make the game feel more lively but would actually provide a valuable information service to the player. They could do this for freighters taking food from farm worlds to other worlds too. With global food the information about which planets are positive and which are negative are already surely in the game, it would just be a simple matter of making transports flow from production to consumption with some modifier for net production and net consumption on each instance so you have more freighters going from a + 20 planet than from a +10 planet, and more coming to a -20 planet than a -10 planet.

>overlook the shittiness
I bought stellaris day one. Played it for a week, maybe two.

Haven't seen any patch/update that would make me even try going back. All of them seem to have been 80% look at this shiny new sytem 15% we fixed some bugs and 5% actual work being done on core flaws of the game.

To me thaat sounds like a waste.

It'll be a long time before they "unfuck" stellaris
Even then based on their track record with EU4 and CK2 there's no telling if it'll actually be any better at that point.

Oh, is that all?

Darn.

What's the best general, all-around Civ?

England's looking pretty great right now, with the boost to Harbor districts and their being able to get a trader from both Harbor and Commercial Districts.

anyone play Lethis?

Wait for about three more major DLCs, then I think it should be pretty good.

>Never join federations with the AI, they are retarded and will never agree to anything you want. Their decision making is bonkers. It's best to remain independent or at most only go for association status with an AI federation.
brexitexplained.txt

>civ6 in a nutshell

I assume wargame is ded? Both ALB and RD?
a.pomf.cat/zepyfz.jpg

Send help plz.

>Turn 40
>Only 1 Ark

Get gud and dont pick the setting(s) that gave you such close spawns.

>turn based space

This is going to be the longest 7 days ever.

Man civ vi looks so complicated compared to civ v. I haven't really been paying any attention to it since I only got into civilization last year, because civ v was on sale with all dlc for super cheap, and I don't plan on getting civ vi til it's on sale as well. But this looks kinda interesting.

Yeah, any perfectionist will probably have that one moment where you have a nervous attack when you realize all the variables you have to juggle to optimize district placement. In truth it doesn't matter THAT much.

And a toddler's toy where you put the right shapes through the right holes is more complicated than CiVanilla.