Subaru BRZ STI Prototype Caught Testing

Believe it. A Subaru BRZ STI prototype was spotted on public roads in Michigan.

It's finally here Veeky Forums
IT IS FINALLY HERE!

motor1.com/news/146407/subaru-brz-sti-spy-shots/

Other urls found in this thread:

autoblog.com/2017/05/23/subaru-brz-sti-spy-shots/
topgear.com/car-news/new-york-motor-show/subaru’s-450bhp-brz-sti
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's so special about it?

autoblog.com/2017/05/23/subaru-brz-sti-spy-shots/

Here's some more stuff from autoblog

They put a wing on it but didn't give it extra horsepower

>not turbo
it's going to be shit.

Not sure, these are just images some guy took.

Atleast gives one hope that they'll make it better than the current standard trim
I'm hoping its not going to be like that japanese version they did, which only included better suspension tuning and brakes

I'm sure they realize that if they don't add power to this car or fix the torque dip, the car is done.

doesn't need a turbo really
as long as they're able to fix the torque dip and add atleast 50 or more horsepower, the car would be much better
might even be able to outrun a chrysler pacifica

>a slight bump to 230hp

That's it? So a regular wrx is still faster?

>more aerodynamics

Oh man woopty do. It doesn't need a fucking fancy body kit or better aerodynamics it was already plenty lean and smooth. These are just a bunch of flashy shit mods that any random could do

wouldn't that big ass wing signify that they've increased power?
I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if they added that wing and didn't bump the power to atleast 280-300 hp

not like aero on street cars does anything for anyone, it's all just for marketing

>wouldn't that big ass wing signify that they've increased power?
Not really because that's really just a cosmetic item unless you're fast enough to use it. It's not the first time a company has put on a huge fat wing and it does nothing

brz don't need no aerodynamics cuz it aint got enough power to be dynamic in the fuz place

>implying they don't just add the wing for the look

>that wing

I really hope that's not on the final product. What's the point, anyway? Unless they're beefing it up somehow, fucking thing doesn't particularly need a wing to hold it down.

i did say that i'd be very surprised if they just added it for hte looks and didn't increase the power.
Specifically because the whole world knows if that car needs anything it's more power

see

likely a stand in for the molded wing they'll make. just slap an adjustable wing on and match the angle and bam, prototype wing.

[Update from Dominick Infante, PR manager for Subaru of America: “We did announce a year ago that we would be bringing a tuned by STI BRZ to the US. But that’s all I can say for the moment.”]

Tuned by STI would mean more power, surely.

It could also mean just improved throttle response and stiffened suspension. Tuned is a very broad term

agreed
but i was googling and this piece came up
topgear.com/car-news/new-york-motor-show/subaru’s-450bhp-brz-sti

In is he mentions that the car will have lower, stiffer STI-spec suspension, new 18-inch alloy wheels, custom Brembo discs and pads, a monster rear wing, a new aero package (new front and rear bumpers, carbon fibre mirrors and side skirts), chassis fasteners - to better control body roll - a flexible tower strut bar designed by STI, and a whopping great engine.

Out goes the road-going BRZ’s 2.0-litre boxer engine, and in comes the EJ20 2.0-litre single-scroll turbo boxer from Subaru’s monster GT300 car that races in Japan. Yep, it’s a fully fledged racing engine.

Subaru officially quotes power at 345bhp and 332lb ft of torque, but Subaru’s Dominick Infante told TG.com the concept car actually produces closer to 450bhp. “They quote it lower on the stand, but that’s just an agreement between the Japanese manufacturers,” he smiles. “In the race series they downgrade their power, but in reality - in this concept car - that engine makes 450.”

If all of that is true then the car will most likely be making around 350 hp and i'll be sold immediately

idk why a lot of people asking for over 300hp on the 86/brz. If they need horsepower that much why not getting a mustang or nissan?

I think it isn't the horsepower as much as wanting to get rid of the torque dip
personally, i'd be very happy with a modest amount of hp increase, to say 250-280 hp
that'd be plenty HP for the type of car this is but 205hp right now is a joke

That's a one off concept. The amount of money it would cost them to put that into mass production would be insane

the toyobaru is very balanced with good handling as they are right now. Have no idea about its engineering so I don't know how thing will change with more hp. Maybe the engineer is working on that, or subara just jewed on the engine to keep the price low.

it's gonna be a handling package and a 2 hp bump

As someone who just picked up a '17 STI:

If this thing is faster than my car I'm going to sue Subaru.

All of that sounds plausible, until you get to the engine bay.

There's no fucking way in hell that will ever happen, and Top Gear is retarded for even bothering to report it.

user when will you crash your car, record it and upload the video?

As soon as the break in is over, I don't want to prematurely wear out my wipers

kek

Don't think they'll ever make it faster than that, precisely for the reason you mentioned
That'd be like porsche making the boxster or cayman faster than the 911
Aint ever gonna happen realistically

but then again this is subaru and japanese we'ere dealing with, anything is certainly possible

why not? they're racing with that same engine
sure it might take a little bit of fiddling but can certainly be done

It doesn't even need to be the same exact engine, anything else with slightly more power and no retarded power dip at 4000 rpm

It's the tS most likely.

Yep it's the tS. According to actual journalists the chassis is even better, much stiffer and more responsive. This will be the one to buy and de-rice in the future.

fuck you're right
tS stands for 'tuned by STI'
And the wing and the front looks exactly like the tS too

Thanks for killing the brz, subaru

Unless it's turbo, why care? Far cheaper to find a miata in decent condition and put an FMII kit on, and far faster. Better suspension setup as well and several hundred pounds lighter.

it clearly has an STi badge on it

yeap
The wing and the rims look exactly the same as on the tS

Itd be a damn shame if they don't give this car an increase in hp and just make it more responsive etc.

>release uptrim model
>killing
It's like the MX5 cup car minus the race series invite. Just an upgraded version of the existing car. What'll be cool is that we'll be able to replicwte the chassis mods they did with diy and aftermarket stuff to get the same handling for cheaper.

doesn't mean anything, the tS has a STI badge in the front
Compare the rims and the wing in the image with the one in OP

user is right, it's the same exact car and isn't that a shame.

The tS is actually quite different. Think DC2 type R versus regular Integra with fast motor.

This car doesn't need anymore handling with the meagre amount of horsepower it has
if anything it needs more power and not crazy more power, just another 50-80 hp

More handling is never bad either.
>just a little more
>25-40% more

>25-50% more

that's the whole point, it currently produces such a low amount of hp for what it is even a slight increase looks massive.

i do agree more handling is never bad, in most cases, cars need more handling and not power but that's definitely not the case with the brz

It's more power than the miata already and it has a roof, why do people never complain about the miata?

Could they have put any more STI logo's on the thing?

No idea, but hopefully a better engine of sort. By better engine, I mean at least 350hp.

Miata's lighter, more fuel efficient, and has a healthy torque curve unlike the toyobaru

As I remember, the selling point of the brz/86 is for twisty mountain road driving, right? If it's the point why do you need much power for that kind of task. And I don't think there's that much different between 200 and 250hp on small twist road anyway.

it's a lot more heavier than a miata too
And people do talk about that all the time, all the reviews I've seen between a miata and a brz/86, all the reviewers have mentioned those two things that set the brz apart

But if you're driving normally you 2ont notice it and if you're on it you won't notice. Why are you shifting before red line when going fast?

So many idiots ITT, this is all bullshit rumors and speculation

>tfw all you want is a non-convertible miata for even lighter weight

>OP posts article with multiple images showing a subaru brz tS with manufacturer plates and taped up sti badging
>user posts subaru's head of PR statement confirming the car in the images
>it's all rumors
here's your (You)

Post yfw it makes less than 300 horses

No, BRZ handles very differently than a miata and I wouldnt want it to handle like a miata
Just a little bit more power so it's atleast competitive with a miata if not the chrysler pacifica

How differently? I've been curious and never had a chance to drive one.

You really think that means anything? Could be employees car or just some off the radar fuck around project

>little bit more power so it's atleast competitive with a miata if not the chrysler pacifica
an automatic Miata would be slower than a Minivan too

>mfw it won't even make more than 220

nuke japan again

>Why are you shifting before red line when going fast?
turning, usually.

Manufacturer number plates and why would an employee drive around with tape all over his car?

Sometimes things need to be taken at face value user, there isn't always a conspiracy to take your freedums, relax.

>And I don't think there's that much different between 200 and 250hp on small twist road anyway.

There is. an FD and a BRZ/GT86 are in around the same weight-class, the BRZ being around 100-150lbs heavier. It makes around 50hp less. There's a significant and noticeable difference in acceleration and cornering speeds between the two cars.

Spoiler: the BR86 doesn't even come close.

Because of the sheer amount of money that it would cost Subaru to do so. It's about the money, Lebowski.

wtf I hate toyobaru now
>slowly become Veeky Forums shitposter

I don't want anymore 86's, last thing we need is them to become as populated as civics. Let me be special snowflake ffs

Fuji heavy industries makes tens of millions every year

Justice demands it user

Literally all they had to do was not make it so fucking heavy and it'd be a really good car.

I actually really like the way it handles, after having tooled around in my friend's. It's just too fat for its powerplant and gets outrun both in a straight line and in corners by a car from a quarter century ago.

and a minivan
a fucking minivan

who gives a shit this car has been modded to hell and back over the last 5 years, nothing the factory versions do will come close to the aftermarket.

That too, kek. Probably faster than the Pacifica around a corner, though. You can pull some shit off in the 86, admittedly, just don't try to drift it because you'll get cucked by its gear ratios and lack of torque. It can do it, it's just really fucking annoying.

there's just something cool and fulfilling about owning a factory special.

Although I think they makes it 2+2 chairs setup so insurance cost can be cheaper, a shorter 2 seats toyobaru would be nice tho. Also one of the problem people likely complain about is how they look much faster than they are.

>put an "aero" kit straight off an O Reilly special Civic on an otherwise stock STI
>poorly cover STI badge "oh no hope nobody sees this secret test car hehe"
>better put a manufacturer plate on it too, hopefully nobody takes a picture of it, wouldn't want it getting hyped up in the media!

>It's like the MX5 cup car
No, it's not, in any way shape or form

There is ZERO chance it makes more than 200hp at the wheels.

Why do people keep getting fooled over fake hyped "concept cars"?

>The RX9 is really coming guys!!!
>Nissan iDX is going to be great
>Toyota SFR, wow only $13k!

The Japanese are NEVER going to make a real enthusiast car again. Boy racers buying riced up econoboxes is a huge market. Actual enthusiast cars are not. It's never going to happen, they will keep churning out shitboxes over and over with little concept car teases making mouthbreathers think they give a single fuck about performance cars.

do you belive anyone will read this?

>nothing the factory versions do will come close to the aftermarket
Adding aftermarket shit usually drops the value.

tldr

This is what I am thinking.
>Let's slap STI badges on it and poorly cover them with tape, in such a way the tape is stretched out and you can make out the outline!

That's the same factory exhaust, you would think it'd have "STI exhaust"

Maybe they were just testing if the wing stays on or not in a straight line drag race.
We all know how much power the car has.

so? thats a good thing you can get a 86 with a bolt on turbo kit and other goodies cheap

The BRZ is 5 years old now and will be phased out soon. I think that there might me a chance that we will see a limited STI version in 2018 or 19.

these bolt ons are expensive and shit though

Have you even read anything about the tS?

Am I the only one that wants to race this?

>implying that's not just some random ricer

>In is he mentions that the car will have lower, stiffer STI-spec suspension, new 18-inch alloy wheels, custom Brembo discs and pads, a monster rear wing, a new aero package (new front and rear bumpers, carbon fibre mirrors and side skirts), chassis fasteners - to better control body roll - a flexible tower strut bar designed by STI, and a whopping great engine.
40k car calling it right now

But then you have a Miata

>The engine will most likely get a slight bump in horsepower – as much as 230 horsepower (171 kilowatts)– but most of the modifications will be seen in the suspension, brakes, and aerodynamics.

ALL THIS FUZZ ABOUT A HAND FULL MORE HP

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

HAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA AHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHHA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

go sue mustang and camaro

It might be faster than a minivan now

>pigfat amerilard garbage

Literally who cares lmao

yeah, and that's probably the best thing about it, you won't be driving a car that's mocked all the time for being slower than a minivan

>some retard in Detroit slaps a sticker and wing on his shitbox
>people say it's a new model

Nope.

>STI package will cost around 35k
>230hp
>everything is going into handling
wtf Subaru, not even doing shit besides adding some decals and a fucking wing. Oh and the rides a bit stiffer. This confirms that I'll never buy this hunk of shit unless price comes way down.