Why does the 86 GT get so much hate?

AE86 is released
>Rev happy economical car that isn't too quick but offers superb performance and great fun sliding around corners, is loved by Veeky Forums and generally everyone.

86 GT is released
>It's slow, it doesn't go fast in a straight line
it's hated by everyone on Veeky Forums when it's just a new AE86.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zdpjSFz79sY
usinflationcalculator.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

and its ugly as fuck

But it isn't, it's a breathe of fresh air compared to all the pigfat cars releasing today.

>boxer engine made out of glass

If it had a traditional 4 cylinder and didn't have fuck high compression it would be a great car.

Because the reason the GT86 is constantly said it's slow is because it's just a dumb meme made by people whomhave never driven it so instantly implying it's bad everywhere else

i was talking about the new gt

AE86
>Higher performance version of a shitbox that isn't kidding itself about what it is

GT86
>Dedicated sports car that's slow "on purpose" because the Japs are cucked now

Someone post that one Nurburgring lap times image please

So you don't like it because it's attractive?

Pretty much.

It's the same problem that plagued pic related. It looks the part, but it has none of the performance of its predecessors backing up those looks. So it's shit. Hell, I'm surprised Toyota even bothered to make the GT86 RWD when it probably still would have sold as a FWD.

>why would they make a car in the spirit of the ae86 rwd

>Why does the GT86 get so much hate

It's probably because no one on Veeky Forums spends time on roads where handling supercedes power.

Also, they don't realize that anything under 650hp is just child's play.

Because it doesn't cost lass than $3000 making it too expensive for most of Veeky Forums.
>>boxer engine made out of glass
[citation needed]

It has been in the top 10 production engines 3 out of the last 4 years.

Still it's faster than the top of the line track ready Miata despite Prius tires.

For the same reason they'd make a sleek, aesthetic looking sporty coupe in the "spirit" of the AE86.

For the same reason Mitsubishi would make a non-turbo FWD-only Eclipse in the "spirit" of a car whose highest trim variant was always known for its Turbo AWD.

Both gt86 & ae86 are fun as hell in the rain where they feel like they have a thousand horsepower!

No one cares if it is competitive with a Miata. I'd like it to be competitive with the Ecoboost Mustang before considering it.

>competitive

oh for your 10-70 rollzz brahh?

sheeitt dudeee, gt86 ain't got no power on the straights, fuuuucckkkk

mustang doh, mustang got dat power for your boring fucking commute to work and back

go drive on some real roads, loser.

Because Veeky Forums can't afford one, so they pick it to pieces to make themselves feel better.

>Veeky Forums wants a small, RWD car that's moderately powerful to hoon on the touge
>toyota/subaruy make a small, RWD car that's moderately powerful for hooning
>Veeky Forums cracks the shits because they can't afford $30k for

It wasn't shackled to a corolla this time. Why not make it pretty?

and because they don't actually live near the tooj

i do live near the tooj, and i'd love a GT86.

I like the nu-86 for what it is,but still wish it had more power.

Why buy it when I could buy one of many cars from the '90s (two decades ago) that both handle better and are faster around corners as well as in a straight line, and pay $10,000 less for one of those 90s shitboxes as you may for even a used nu-86?

I'll take more fun for less money every time, I need a reason to buy the nu-86 if you want me to buy it. If I can just buy an FD or something and 200k+ miles worth of engine rebuild with the savings from not having bought an 86, why should I not do that?

Hourly Reminder: Used FR-S Can be had for C H E A P

The V6 and Ecoboost Mustang can also be had slightly newer for similar prices, if you want the extra 100+ ponies and a bigger car

No one cares about the ecofail mustang, I want it to be competitive with a One:1

If a badge is worth more $ though...

>Straight line performance
Stop this meme it isn't funny anymore

Because cars from the 90's are old, if somebody was buying a new RX-7 back in the 1990's, they would be saying the same thing about more powerful cars from the 80's.

More powerful cars of the 80s probably wouldn't have been in the same market, let alone significantly cheaper than a new-RX-7 at the time as the FD is cheaper than an 86 now. One does not simply acquire a testarossa for less than $20,000 and expect it to run.

>what are old muscle cars

old muscle cars were over-rated from the factory

>[citation needed]

Will window the block with over 300whp on stock internals, a fucking honda b18 will take more than that.

[Citation needed]

Pretty fucking much.

>I can't afford it therefore it must be shit

Sour grapes indeed.

>80s "muscle" cars

I can't think of a smarmy enough reply here, so just have the greentext while I give it a good ponderin'.

Gross get that shit out of here

No, 60s muscle cars.

You guys are making me want a '13 FR-S again

Because you should never listen to Veeky Forums for car advice.
You're looking at the same board that worships an average as fuck city car they've never driven because the front looks like an happy face.

The twingo being cute doesn't affect people's opinions on other things, but the blatant hate for the 86 is stupid regardless.

I was making a point, note the
>they've never driven

No that's accurate. That's just about the consensus from everyone that's boosted an 86. Youll throw a rod out the bottom with more than 8-10psi. The engine won't output more than 550. Get a built block and you can put 400 to the wheels without much worry.

What's the point of boosting an 86 to anything more than 300 horsepower, you might as well not have bought the car.

Plenty of otherwise stock 86's are running 500whp thanks to nothing but boost. Go back to Redit.

You're a dumbass lol.
Crawfords made 480 and all he did was valve springs.

>muh b18
God I hate honda fanboys

Generally they're

>contratian Veeky Forumstist faggots who hate everything because muh NEET lifestyle or whatever
>animal raping furries who can't take slow corners without almost dying
>"muh USDM" rednecks who think anything without a 440ci V8 and all-steel construction is a passing fad
>people who bought the automatic version and fell for the chysler pacifica memes
>the MX-5 jihadist from carthrottle
>diesel drivers who don't understand how gearing works and learned the word "torque" a week after they signed the lease from Top Gear.
>a tiny percentage of people who genuinly just don't like it

It could do with a bit more power but it's an almost universally well recieved car. Fuck even the fucking Telegraph liked it.

>inb4 Toyobaru defence league/86 shill/buyers remorse

i don't have one but considering it for my next car.

I would take a gt86 over a civic, camry, or altima any day of the week

I was under the impression that an enthusiasts car would entail
>RWD
>simple body design for cheap replacement parts
>ergonomic engine bay for easy wrenching and swaps
>roomy inside with simplistic dash
>money saved on normie gimmicks put into the engine

The only people who don't like the GT86 are benchracing Miata owners.

>AE86 is the same as gt86 meme
>nu86 runs on premium fuel (which a lot of gas stations don't even have 93 American Octane) for its underwhelming 200hp otherwise it knocks
>horizontal engine that knocks is very unreliable compared to AE86 4AGE
>locked into certain suspension types due to engine dimensions
>harder to wrench on than any comparable sports car for the price (have to jack it up just to change spark plugs)
>Direct Injection is cool but it makes the fuel pump creak like crickets
I'll take a v6 mustang or Camaro for the same price that runs just fine on regular fuel over the gt86 any day.

>cares whether it takes regular or premium fuel

Bro this is such a small cost it should't even matter. If this is a worry, maybe you should sort your shit out before even looking at sports cars in general.

>is basically a sporty corolla hyped to be a sportscar
>and the engine is flaming dogshit
what the fuck was toyota thinking with that gimped boxer piece of crap?

>go to gas station with fuel light on
>they only have 91 octane
>engine knocks
Also
>Boost an already high compression engine
>requires literally race car tier octane rating only found at Select Sunoco Gas Stations
See
I'll just settle for a normal engine that you can actually get more than an extra 40 hp out of without bringing it to its knees.

He specifically mentions availability, not price, as the issue.

Where I live, gas stations stop at 91 octane for premium, only very few have 93 super premium. Its usually 87 89 91.

>nu86 runs on premium fuel (which a lot of gas stations don't even have 93 American Octane) for its underwhelming 200hp otherwise it knocks

Don't blame the car for america's lack of premium fuel. RON98/AKI93 is available pretty much everywhere. Even fucking mexico has higher octane rated premium than you.

3 5 0 Z
5 F L
0 A D
Z I Y
R

That's why you fuel up at legit gas stations idiot

So buy a 350Z/G35 for $8-10k and get suspension mods after you can't set any better times at autoX/track days

It's also a high compression engine that can't be safely boosted without a build that costs as much as the car, but unlike the 86, it's powerful out of the box.

Brotip: You can go to an airport and get 100 octane with that delicious knock preventing tetraethyl lead. Even the middle of nowhere should have an airport with fuel fairly close by.

That's a fair question, OP.

It seems as if people here on Veeky Forums don't know how to appreciate nice low powered cars.

They keep talking shit about the Toyobaru/Miata despite them having great chassis and proper pedigree.

Whether this is because we're dealing with teenager bench-racers, trolls, stuck up arseholes or genuinelly contrarian people I don't know.

Kek, I remember a thread about the Honda s660 a while back where some were saying that 'I don't care that it's a targa, mid engined, rwd car, it's not a sports car with less than x bhp'.

So yeah, it pays to know who you're dealing with.

Because you are paying over 20k for a car that is slower than every sports coupe in its class. And just a little faster than an average sedan like an accord or altima.

Inb4

>muh turning
>muh prius tires

Can you imagine if the MR2 SW20 released in 2017, Veeky Forums would be like
>muh 3sgte camry engine
>muh slow snap oversteer killer
>muh hard to work on rear engine

Don't listen to Veeky Forums on anything, they'll just like anything that has pop up lights and is a meme.

>$20k
what

>paying $5.60/gal to destroy your cat convertor
no thanks

the price 86 GT is way overpriced

Its concept was way better in aesthetics

they are both shitty cars then and now anyone who drives them is born to be a loser

>popup lights give me a popup

The ae86 is nothing like the gt86. The only place where toyota is trying to meme your stupid ass is with the name. Nothing else nothing more. The car is literally 90% Subaru parts. The engine the chassis the differential and transmission is all Subaru

I gotcha senpai

>5.60/gal
Jesus christ
It's 4.90 here

Let's not forget that with a Miata the roof comes off. For some people, that's a pretty damn major advantage.

>but offers superb performance and great fun sliding around corners
real life is not an anime my friend. I know this is a bitter pill for Veeky Forums.

The AE86 is literally known for drifting.... Initial D just capitalised on it.

initial d made everyone think the ae86 is an unbeatable car

It's 0-60 is slower than a 2014 chevy silverado crew cab

>20-30 cent difference per gallon between 89 and 93 (atleast by me)
>Such a small cost

Are you dumb or are you dumb?

Do you have a fucking job? IF you make more than $40k a year, the difference between reg/premium is trivial.

If you're a poorfag though, yeah you're fucked but you're also not driving an 86 then so

That's not a 6.2 0-60

>ugly as fuck
>slow
>woman car

I know a fat whore who just finance one and she works a minimum wage job. This car new is over 20k. Wonder what that slut's payment is lol. What a fucking idiot if I was gonna buy a piece of shit I'd buy it used

and not only that the brz is way better and stupid cucks like that girl drive 86's. Shit car for shit drivers

can confirm, I make 10$ an hour and I buy premium highest octane

t. 86 owner
It's a nice DD tho.
No, I don't drift and do stupid shit on my new car user.
>inb4 getting called cuck

Say, user, those vents on the quarter panel are functional at all?

Hey you bought the automatic right?

big piece of plastic user. One thing I really hate about it is its over aggressive style.

Yea i'm that handicap retarded user, user

1. It isn't
2. Cool, try throwing that truck around like you can with an 86.
What a fucking dumbass.

So it's not an opening for the engine bay/wheel arches?

Well, that's disappointing. Nice car nonetheless mate, don't listen to the bus riders on this board.

This. Meme boxer engine for no reason that's difficult to work on and overpriced. Give it a regular i4 and bring down the price and it would be a great car

>400lbs heavier
>same torque

Kek, I didn't know the brz was this sad

GT86 is already cheap as fuck you retarded busrider.

fucking toyota

26k is not cheap as fuck

It'd be different if it has 250hp and 150ftlbs torque, not 173 hp to the wheels and 115ftlbs

Shut up faggot, you don't know what it costs to produce a new 2700 pound rwd meme machine

It cost them less than 10k

To everyone hating on the Subarota please stay mad :-)
At least for another 10 years until you can afford one

Compare that to what 240SX cost, adjusted for inflation you mongoloid underage buscuck.

>It cost them less than 10k
That's the dumbest shit I've heard, stop posting

20-30 cents difference per gallon? Fucking Americans man. In Canada it's 30 cents difference per liter. That means it costs us 4 times as much.

>1989 240SX
Advertised at 19k in 1989 ~ 37,000$ in 2017
N/A models in america had ~140 hp/150tq
curb weight ~2700 lbs

>2017 BRZ/FRS
fully loaded with leather/brembo's ~ 30k
~205hp/150tq
curb weight ~2700lbs

youtube.com/watch?v=zdpjSFz79sY
usinflationcalculator.com/