When do you know its time to let your car go?

When do you know its time to let your car go?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3Fw0OvKFKhw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

When it stops working.

When the value you'll put into it to keep it running is greater than what its worth.

it works... most of the time.
but you can't put a price on the emotional attachment you have to it. It feels like putting an old dog up for adoption.

When you're tired of putting money into it. Then you try to find someone who will take care of it as well as you did or better. What car?

>but you can't put a price on the emotional attachment you have to it. It feels like putting an old dog up for adoption.

Uh yes you can, they're not living beings, and you're not taking out back and shooting it in the head. If you're unable to realize that, then you need to re-evaluate your life and view point.

2000 Firebird. Cosmetically the thing is cherry. Bought it at 88k and its at 129k miles but only now has it given me issues. This year alone it needed a full set of ignition coils, new fuel pump, and I know that it will need a full set of fuel injectors soon and the service engine soon light came on tonight. I think its time.

>know that it will need a full set of fuel injectors soon and the service engine soon light came on tonight.

Injectors can be cleaned. run the engine codes before making final judgment.

when you can get a civic for 3k

i waited until my suspension gave in and my tire flew out into the abyss driving by over a canyon

yeah I did clean them, which has made it roadworthy since but hasn't completely alleviated the issue

if the body is perfectly fine and its the engine that's the problem then get it rebuilt or take it out and hunt down a new engine if you care about the car so much. ls swap time.

when you cant get your motor mounts replaced because the mechanic wants to fix the frame damage for $7k first

When you need something that can haul shit.
When its out lived its purpose
When you dont have fucking space to work on it

Tfw you gotta sell your touge car for something more practice...

you obviously don't drive an ae86 touge machine, thing has space for days in the hatch. best daily i've ever owned.

>cant haul 50L kegs around
I own a AE92 gts thou, fuck ton of space, but i need more, and she need to go, i sadly dont got the time or money to make it what i want it to be

Sad! Stay with Toyota though brother. Maybe 4runner?

Bingo.

I just gotta get working again and save up enough for one.

99 4runner limited v6

>short answer
When something major like the engine or transmission goes out
>long answer
Depends on the car, the circumstances, your budget and your equipment. If you love the car, do what you will with it. If it needs to be fixed, get the issue diagnosed, research what the part costs and how easy it is to replace, what you need to do the job, and then fix it. Do t be lazy or too scared to do it yourself if it's something relatively doable

>bad pump
>bad injectors
Quit running the car below a quarter tank and these things won't happen. And please, a pump and injectors are time consuming and dirty but not hard. I did that on my project car in a weekend

i dont think the car has dipped below 1/4 tank in the 5 years I've owned it.

Yeah I understand that the injectors arent bad to do, but I live at a house with street parking only, cant exactly do maintenance there or my landlord would evict me.

Do you have the V6 or V8? Have you confirmed that the injectors are bad and it isn't something else?

v6. I took it to my mechanic who does projects that I dont have the time or tools to do and he told me it was injectors. Hooked it up to a computer and showed that they were misfiring but the computer was self-correcting. Getting error codes again so I have to scan again tomorrow to see what it pulls.

>Can't put a price on emotional attachment
>Boomers put a price purely on emotional attachment of old rotting """classics"""
>Marketing teams put a price solely on how they want you to think the car will make you feel

If cars had honest prices that reflected how they actually make you feel, 90% of them would cost less than $100 because 90% of cars actually make you feel like shit.

>If you're unable to realize that, then you need to re-evaluate your life and view point.

So, only your life and view point are the right ones? Yeah, no.

>Uh yes you can, they're not living beings

t. bus rider who never experience emotional attachment to a car

depends on the car
for a DD shitbox, whenever it becomes more costly to keep it running than the car is worth
for a project car, once the chassis is fucked since pretty much anything else can be rebuilt

When the trans starts slipping.

That is nothing

My terc blew all of its ball joints, thermostat, radiator, something in the head
Spun bearing, valve stem leaks, main seal, oil pump seal, fuel pump, clutch, tranny, 2 rims, 1 speaker, piston rings, gaskets, head gasket, water pump gasket ect
If its a car that makes u really happy you fix things and put it on hold till its done

Rn im dealing with a druggy whos got my car but its worth it in the end

When it rots away to the point of no return.

If you have to ask, you aren't ready yet. When you're finally tired of fixing that old piece of shit, you'll know it.

youtube.com/watch?v=3Fw0OvKFKhw

When it's no longer possible to fix it.

this
>ITT: buying cars to get rid of them
enjoy your appliances, I'll be out having fun and making great memories

>wrong wheel drive

But I love my appliances too.
>Use an old makita I've rebuilt as my backup drill
>Wear a watch from 1983
>Carry a PDA from 1997
>Still use all my old computers
>Radios from the 90s
If I get something, I get it to last.

literally never, i dont buy shit cars in the first place

Even those headlights look sad.
>"Y-you're not leaving me here, are you, user-kun?"

>my e23 has been rotting away at my dads for a year and a half
>needs engine rebuild at 30+ years old and 287k miles
emotional atrachment is everything op, a mid 2000s gm shitbox id disposable but a 80s classic should be made to run as long as possible