350 Chevy

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of swapping a 350 Chevy small block into my third gen trans am. It is an early 90's crate motor 5.7 with a Holley 600cfm carb, Hedman headers, Edelbrock RPM intake, and full exhaust. It is all swapped and running but still needs minor tweaks and I want to get it painted before I take it out on the road. My question is would most of you consider a 350 to be fast? This motor stock was around 250hp and 310lb ft tq I believe. I have a set of Vortec heads that I plan on installing eventually as well as a cam. Thanks!

OP here, I should mention this is my first V8. I've had a stock NA Miata, SOHC Dodge Stealth, d16 turbo Civic with around 200hp, mostly just little 4 cyl

I mean you said it yourself, it's a small block Chevy. In a turd gen you'll be spinning tires at stoplights with as little as 350hp if you wanted to. If it feels fast enough, sweet. If not, buy more bolt ons. It'll feel fast long before it needs any internals.

Also if you want some ballsy fun, procharge it.

I got it originally with a 305 not running, I played around with the 305 for a bit and got it to fire up and took it around the block and that seemed like it was pretty quick so I can't wait to feel it with a 350. Am I trailer trash?

Turd gen Camaros are automatically crackhead tier. It's up to you to make it a mean crackhead at least.

I've been playing with 4 cylinders for a while (turbo, nitrous etc) and wanted to build a v8. Did this on a major budget, if I was going to spend money on a procharger etc I would have bought a cleaner shell.

Paid $450 for the car, sold the 305 for $100 and hopefully can get $100 from the z28 wheels on it. Bought a set of WS6 wheels with adapters and new Z rated tires for $200, a junkyard 350 for $280. Car was in shit shape (missing front clip, wing, dirty and fucked) I can post a pic if anyone is interested in what it looked like when I picked it up. But the body was rust free, came with a cowl induction hood, a nice carb, intake, and lot of bling bling (chrome wp, tstat housing, alt, valve covers)

I picked up a set of Vortec heads from a pickup truck for $50, matched with a mild cam I'm hoping to get a big performance bump but that's in the future.

10lbs/hp is quick
8lbs/hp is fast
5lbs/hp is very fast
3lbs/hp is certain death.

Had a turbo 350 trans with a B&M ratchet shifter as well, hoping to get the project all done for under $1500. Already have single stage paint from Eastwood. Electric yellow.

I had a 1992 305TBI and that piece of shit would turn tires. All about the torque baby!

Join thirdgen.org and enjoy your trash breathren. Believe me, being trash is way more fun than some snooty Porsche faggot.

Plus the best part of a turd gen is you can dent and patina the shit out of it and it looks like any other hand-me-down white trash family car while you secretly have a swapped and built engine under the hood. Keep it merica and procharge with a blower. Fuck japper crapper turbos.

Boost is boost, although a centrifugal supercharger is easier. For babby's first pony car though, better heads and a cam will be plenty fast.

Yup. Cheap heads, cam, intake etc and throw some headers on it. If you really want to get trashy, pull out the rear seats and all the carpet behind the driver seats for weight reduction.

Be aware the Vortec heads use a different intake bolt pattern so that would have to be changed.

While boost is definitely boost, prochargers/superchargers allow for much more torque for those smokey burnouts. Also the lag and lack of reliability on a first time turbo V8 make it not very worth. I'd do an s/c or p/c and then switch to twincharge down the line.

That's one of the things holding me back. Have a recommendation of a cheap vortec intake that still performs? Also haven't picked out a cam yet but haven't pulled it apart to see whether or not it's a roller.

I ended up going with IK200 heads on mine and a single-plane EFI, 4-barrel throttle body. Used a LT4 cam.

Why wouldn't you have done heads and cam before dropping the motor in??

Gen 1 sbc's are generally stout but don't make big power until you really start throwing money at them. With the vortec heads and depending on what cam should be low 300's to the wheels

I don't care what they're rated at, 305's are pretty fun.

Motor came straight from the junkyard, no compression test, not much inspection. Just bolted in and prayed. Compression numbers look good but didn't know the shape of the engine and still don't know the shape of the heads so I figured I'd wait.

Madman, i like your style

>Just bolted in and prayed

Inspection is for pussies, ask any third gen owner. Forget shelling out big bucks for a motor the bolt and pray method is solid 3/5 times.