/domg/ - Dominions General

Forced stale balance edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin (NEEDS UPDATING NERDS)
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/nTtgHER9
dropbox.com/s/l4w7k9zjw3lfuuc/nationgen_incomprehensible_circle.rar?dl=0
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MasterTheCircle
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ElfingAround
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

g-guys how do i contact the llamabeast? i can't find any contact info anywhere.

i want to flap my bats.

what does summod change ?

summod changes Rain Of Stones(E3A1 spell) gem requirement from 1 to 2, making it impossible for a E1A1 mage with earth boots to cast it on the first turn, since a mage can only consume gems equal to its elemental level for a spell. Can still do it with Summon earth power, but second turn RoS is not as good as first turn.

Thanks, user

Wow shiet I never realized that before. I wonder if that can be called "balance" though? RoS is a powerful spell, but does it need to be nerfed if you already have a mage that's e1a1, boots, and research for that spell? 6th level spells are no joke and they should be treated as no jokes. Some even game changers. Without the change evo6 has a rightful place of a powerful 6th level spell that competes with other 6th level spells from other schools. I think if a nation can research evo6 it should be granted that they are also capable of casting RoS, without summod's changes.

RoS was bullshit.

- Ranged:
** Tsihsithese Human Bowman (Dynastic human), 7g, 4r, Short Bow, Bronze Hatchet, Linen Cuirass.
--- Ranged unit, Blind and Mountain survival
** Tsihsithese Human Bowman (Dynastic human), 7g, 5r, Composite Bow, Bronze Hatchet, Linen Cuirass.
--- Ranged unit, Blind and Mountain survival

kek.

bullshit maybe, but so is wild hunt, BoT, elementals, and all those other shits you can cast at 6th level.

you can't cast those with 1level paths

none of those clear the battlefield before the other side can act

Rain of stones was more bullshit than being able to summon 4 elementals. It was on a level with fog warriors, an a5 , 3 gem spell. This makes RoS closer in requirements (and still more common).

7g composite bows? Sounds solid.

nope.
RoS turn 1 is way harder to deal with than any of that shit, way more enraging and completely neuters all the recruitable and national summons of many nations.

elementals can be dealt with if you have a big army. 4 air elementals won't kill 170 troops and 24 mages, and most importantly you need to invest some non joke mage to cast it.
level 1 mages should not be allowed to do such wonderful things alone.

did you miss the part where they were blind?

its at the bottom of every email you get from the server. its [email protected]

those cant be cast nearly as easily as rain of stones could be

theyre blind user

>[email protected]

thanks. i looked everywhere else but in my email folder!

So they are unaffected by darkness?

What /domg/ games are on llamaserver now? is MAdman a /domg/ game?

true.
they also will never receive a prec malus

*unstarted /domg/ games I mean.

So what? Do you rely on your archers sharpshooting stuff? No you mass them and let arrow volleys fly. Its a very good archer plus you can use darkness to equalize the fighting field.

just check the steam group for games. i know theres an autistic rp game starting soonish, but it might be full. i know the stupid elf game is /domg/ but idk about madman

the issue with really low precision archers is that they tend to hit your own blockers just as often as they hit the enemy, and if theyre fighting a smaller force of blessed units or a thug or something theyll never be able to hurt the enemy at all. theyre basically monkey archers

>is MAdman a /domg/ game?

yes.

well but unless the oppoenent literally makes a blob of 300 units ( which is ill advised) then your archers will scatter so many shots that the 7 gold cost will be completely defeated.
using them with darkness is good but your first war should come before you get alteration 6.

the whole thing is kind of moot since their mages are also blind

What if by blind, user meant blindfighter?

I'm finishing compiling the mod now, so we'll see then, won't we?

What is their precision anyway? 0? Surely not because if they are blind like the affliction then their att/def would also be 0.

somehow their precision is 10
so then yes, they're very good, but they're slaves with morale 7 and their best commander has taskmaster +1 ldrship 120

WOW slaves too? What is their upkeep 2g? Amazingly good.

pastebin.com/nTtgHER9

look her over, I'm off to lunch, when I get back I'll make a game

It's also worth noting that any blood nation can easily make their A1E1s into A1E3s thanks to bloodstones. The change makes blood even stronger, while nerfing already weak nations (like MA Man, for instance).

Blind here means the ability, not the affliction. The Blind ability means "this unit sees without using it's eyes". It doesn't actually mean the unit is any worse at seeing, and it protects against penalties from darkness / mist etc.

So these guys are actually insane anti-archers for an A nation, get a bunch of 7g composite bows and cast Mist/Solar Eclipse, watch enemy archers and mages whiff while you rain death on the enemy.

>got banned for 3 days
>thread is deader than ded
For shame.

Save us Rejakor!

I said for 3 days, not 4lyfe.

anyone see anything insanely broken I missed?

Nief, please don't stale.
Elves, do whatever you like.

elf removal commences

Thanks for posting. I'm trying to prevent stales with small extensions. Hopefully elves and giants can get their stuff in on time, but I'd really like to avoid this game turning into the usual domg clusterfuck of stalers and AIs. You and new Marverni have both been very resilient, which is awesome

Oh, they actually have 5 hours left. That's probably plenty; I'll hold off on extending for them.

Don't do micromanagements. Do not be a badmin. I'm not even in the game, but micro catering of stallers will never be a good thing. If a nation stales that means they could not make the turn or choose not to. We all have human lives and it's understandable to miss a turn. But if you intentionally stale, especially twice it calls for being set to AI. The player has given up and microcaterring to their needs breeds more bad players. The golden rule still stands. 2 stales = AI. No extensions unless asked. If nobody asks then never extend. You're a manager not a babysitter.

i agree with this post

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MasterTheCircle
games up fgts,will change settings based on interest

Sorry about that province, Bogarus, the scout went insane and attacked it.

I can already see one nation with 9/atk square sacreds, which are recruitable anywhere. To be fair, the nation has tons of other weaknesses (cold blooded, meh pathing, no nationals) but still, ouch.

one of those is a lance, so it's 6 after that, but you're missing the equally important part which is that they are ETHEREAL. They also have very high def, so you could run w9x9 and roll some people over

I was talking about the enigma of the bog. Bite+Flail. The cap onlies have berserk 5 too.

I managed to miss a FAE 85g flier too.
I may just ban them as opposed to fucking around with the mod

yeah, nvm. Different sacred. The ethereal guys aren't rec everywhere either

I mean, the 9 atk/sacred dudes would be spookier if they weren't cold blooded.

They're legit not even something you need to care much about just by running cold 3. Nation doesn't really have the pathing for breath of the desert either.

the entire nation hates hats and they have 0 ranged troops too

Did I say they were without flaws? I just commented that they had excellent blenders.

The nation would really shine if it had the air path for arrow fend/storm/mass flight, all of which make archers useless in their own ways.

C'tis can you elaborate on your message?

seconded

sent in my stupid ass pretender. looking forward to my invulnerable sacred stealthy hobbit flyers

GIANTS PLZ

If you send in your turn again, does it change your turn or fuck up?

I realized I could make a much better move in one game.

I'm trying to dig around for a copy of the map 'Chalice of Ilmatar'(older map that is similar to Valanis) but the dropbox link from the mod creator is dead. Anyone know where I can find a copy of this map?

You can resend both turns and pretenders

oh my god it's beautiful

Hegude are you around?

What the fuck am I reading.

Also one of my biggest pet peeves is people writing "morale" as "morale" so this really isn't fun.

I have some n00b questions.

1. I'm never happy with my midgame--too much micro and spell confusion--can anyone recommend a simple(r) nation to keep learning the game with?

2. If I build 5 temples, does that actually increase my max dominion scale? Aka if I had a 9 dominion scale on my pretender, then built 5 temples, I'd have 10?

3. Does anyone have a basic pretender mod template?

>Conjugation, alternation
>moral

It's like pottery

2.) correct you only need to build 4(the one in your capitol counts) new temples to increase dominion scale. After that then you get more dominion for each 5 temples you build. However, this works differently in a disciple game where its number of nations on a team x 5 for the amount of temples needed for a dominion increase.(so on a team of two, you'd need 10 total temples to increase dominion.)

Right so I can, by spamming temples, eventually give my pretender Awe?

1. So you want a nation with low mage support and less scripting. Try MA Ulm, throw melee in front, crossbows in back, set mages to "Cast Spells" and it should not be that bad since the AI loves to throw buffs around.

2.Yes, every 5 temples increases your domain scale by 1, up to cap of 10.

3. Answer is: It Depends
You can copy some pretenders from a nations guide to start

I don't mind scripting, it's mostly map micromanagement that bogs me down. So maybe a nation with teleports, easy site finding, etc?

Awe is determined in pretender creation. Going from dom 8 to dom 9 does not give your pretender Awe.

Yeah, that's the answer I was looking for. I thought scales were locked at creation but the manual made it sound like building temples increased it+altered pretender.

So it just increases it, not altering the pretender.

domg games waiting for pretenders ?

EA Abysia, ignore the blood magic, blob everything into a single doomstack to march towards someones capital, sitesearch fire by setting your mages to autocasting Augury

?
Does autocasting choose locations that haven't been already searched?

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ElfingAround

did not mean to quote you, I'm tired, sorry user
I'm bad with elves. Against and with. Would be a disaster.

I don't play MA Ermor (or MA in general). What's going on with this guide? Is anything this guy saying untrue?

it chooses not searched over partially searched with lower level iirc

Ah, nice. Thanks

Best place for new maps? Most links are deadsura.

Just buy the DLC.

Trading water/air gems for astral and nature gems.

Just tired between work, university and sutying.
But today was my last day at work so I should be taking my turns earlier.

I'm not going to AI against bats. Fuck those guys. I'm going to hold out as long as it takes for the other players to get their shit together and finally remove them.

Uh okay.
Together with that omnious message you send me, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it.

Thread's ded, Zed
Thread's ded

Don't forget that global message from the lizards either.

Yo /v/anheim, I got kicked out of my house this weekend. Gonna be hard to Clash.
t. Moat

Are those good enough to run tribless awake on? I want to know if I should test out some N9W9E9 memes on them.

I wouldn't do E9, honestly. They wear armor, so you don't get the full effect of the E bless, and they're mounted so their encumbrance isn't that bad. N9W9B9 or F9 for extra killing power would probably be better.

But yes, absolutely, they can crush people with a tribless

you can come live under my bed, if you take hormones.
I'm sorry bro hope shit works out

E9 is very important for the awake, and makes them fatigue neutral. In addition to that, testing showed they get +4 prot from it, which isn't bad.

N9W9B9 is also an option, yes, but it makes the expander much weaker without the +9 prot from earth. N9W9B9E4 is too expensive sadly, but you could in theory go N9W9B9E6 without an awake and they'd be fatigue neutral even with W9.

Would be more interesting on a non-shit map.

I can't pick a nation, I have anxiety that I'm going to pick the wrong one.

give me a non shit map

Literally any with wrap around would be better. Corners are an awful thing to have.

You best pick a nation that can survive being rushed by tri-bless awake nation with ethereal 8 atk/square on a charge sacreds.

That 8 atk/square is before the bless btw.

I took the blind slave archers. What are some good strats for blind slave archers considering I mostly have astral and earth magic?

2017-03-30 23:54:51 +0200
Drowning will now trigger immortality and similar effects
Autohealer will now result in high pretender cost
Execute mods before browsing pretenders
New mod commands: #nowish, #addupkeep, #springshape (x4)
New mod commands: #almostundead, #almostliving
Linux/OSX: Flush gl queue before forking
Protection of Geryon immune to forge rebates
Stat fixes
2 friendly currents will now cancel each other out
Cheat check for non researched rituals & forging
Show icon for negative mastersmith ability too
nohomlandnames resulted in too much population in Ermor
More mobile friendly status page for network games

2017-03-29 09:55:16 +0200

2017-03-29 09:54:58 +0200
Natives are complaining, event fix