Are adjustable wrenches (spanners if you're a bong) really the 'tool of the charlatan'?

Are adjustable wrenches (spanners if you're a bong) really the 'tool of the charlatan'?

Adjustable spanners are fucking utterly useless.

I own two Crescent brand, and I have never needed to ever use them for anything.

They're like 100 wrenches in one. Mechanics get really butthurt when they see that one adjustable wrench outperforms their $1k snap-on kit. Just don't get a cheap, wobbly one.

monkey wrenches are shit

plier wrenches are GOAT

This. In most automotive cases

>wanting damaged jagged bolts
do not want

Occasionally, I meet a nut that doesn't want to be metric or English and a crescent is just the tool to use. A crescent wrench is good in a pinch, but I wouldn't use one all the time.

They're good enough for a bike or basic household chores, but I'd worry about stripping bolts on a car with one.

what is a good wrench set?

Sometimes I put it on the bolt/nut to see what the size is, then head back to my toolbox to find the proper one.
this too.

If you live in Canada whatever's on sale in Canadian Tire

For swapping out gas regulators and fittings on gas bottles, this is the only time I ever see crescent wrenches used commonly

t. welder

they are 0 wrenches in one because they are fucking useless. literally only technically inept retards use them.

Did your gf dump you for a spanner, user? You seem really buttblasted by them.

they're cool if you have no space for tools and need 1 thing for emergencies but a good set of wrenches > mexican fits-all

lel

I keep a small crescent wrench in my bicycle saddlebag instead of a handful of open ends. As said they are good for simple shit but to work on a vehicle they fuck things up too much

They're fucking garbage and a sure fire way to fuck up your bolts. Get some channel lock or plier wrenches if you want some adjustable tools. Those shitty silver corkscrew type wrenches just have too much give on harder jobs and anything less can easily be done by hand or god forbid, a better tool.

I use a crescent every day at work. However I wouldn't use one on a vehicle unless none of my real wrenches fit.

The only thing I've ever used an adjustable wrench for, car-related, is pulling back my belt tensioner. The nut is big enough there's not really a risk of it slipping. Every time I've tried one for a high-torque or smaller diameter application, it just made things worse.
Instead, I've got something similar to this, I don't even remember where or when I got it but it's the bee's motherfucking knees and it's always in my pocket. It works for so many things and locks in place far more securely than that thumbscrew shit.

As a fellow canuck I agree, but only is its Mastercrap. Can't beat that lifetime warranty.

Stanley tools there also go on sale all the time and have a life time warranty, only thing is you can't just bring them back without a receipt and get a new one for free

whoa

Love me some channel-locks

>outperforms

autism

adjustable wrench is better than a worthless 35mm socket or box wrench for BMW X5 oil canister
this too, can fix anything with channel locks and grip strength

They are fine if it isn't a bolt or nut that is torqued down hard. On cars, the application is more limited since everything is torqued to a pretty good degree for the most part. There are lots of other miscellaneous uses out there where it will work fine (not to say that it is better, other then not having to bring multiple wrenches around). Also, if you c-clamp a pair of them together, you can fix your camshafts in place while you do a timing belt change.

>Also, if you c-clamp a pair of them together, you can fix your camshafts in place while you do a timing belt change.
This nigger right here knows what's up. Absolute lifesaver.

Can you enlighten me on this?

this.
crescent wrenches take skill to use, a trait in which all mechanics are void of, as people with skill generally avoid this bottom feeding entry level shit-tier occupation.

On a cam shaft, there is typically a hex forged into it for you to grab with a wrench (its there for you to fix the shaft in place for removing the nut for the timing belt pulleys). Anyway though, you just grab on to them both with crescent wrenches in a way so the handles cross each other, and then c-clamp the handles where they cross. That way, the two wrenches lock each other from turning and therefore prevents either shaft from turning. Then you can safely remove the belt etc without having to worry about finding the correct position again or worry about it moving while wrestling the new one on.

pretty much this

Thanks h/o/mbre, I'll remember that when belt time comes.

This is some wizardry tier shit.

Is there anything clamps can't do?

There gud if you need a little extra leverage on something

They're called multigrips you dong

This is about all I use them for, as misc. leverage tools. I have a large one with a completely twisted handle from when I was trying to unbend some metal. Crescent wrench on crescent wrench with pickle fork ball joint remover with a 5 foot cheater bar on the end of it.

T. Bolt Strippington

if you can on your engine, what I do is take a razor around it and make the belt really thin, then slide the new one on.
then cut the rest of the old belt and slide the new one into its proper place.

>Bolt Strippington

Can't wait to try this, never heard of either of these tricks before.

I'm picturing a car where every single bolt is totally fucked and rounded off, but it's not a problem because every single stud is so stripped you don't even need tools to take anything apart.

In this case a crescent wrench is the ideal tool.

Yes. They are garbage. They are good for almost nothing, except maybe oil field work or plumbing.

*blocks your path*

They're nice for really big bolts, but not really in automotive.

May is just a memer fuck.

W...T...F
is that a wheel hub

Shit, that's a pretty damn good idea. It'll be awhile till my next belt but I'll keep that one in mind.

They are great for oil pans and sometimes as a breaking bar.

Used to use a 15" adjustable, in combination with a large pair of channel locks, to remove the 1w18 explosive separator when I used to be a Flight Equipment Tech on CH53E's.

Pic related and also pic is a fail.

The cannon plug on the front of the CAD is connected wrong. There are two butterfly tabs that hold the cannon plug of the Single Point Pendant to the bracket on the 1w18. Those are supposted to be safety wired to the back shell of the cannon plug for the wiring harness. It is a fucking QA step. Like a fucking CDQAR or a QAR is supposed to witness the safety wiring and make an in-process inspection note on the MAF.

Damn I've been out for a year and stupid shit like this is still setting off my inner CDQAR/QASO (Collateral Duty Quality Assurance Rep and Quality Assurance Safety Observer).

Then Again that pic is old as fuck. Those troop seats aren't used any more.

Someone decided more people would survive crashes if crash attenuating seats were used that drop 13" in a crash and break your femurs.

oh and then a TD came out for the seat belts because they tended to drown people due to a defect where they didn't open underwater...and they weren't big enough for large Marine wearing full combat loads.

"Adjustable spanner"

Nope, what we have here is a skookum Swedish nut fucker, with thumb detector.

>explosive separator
Neat, similar to explosive bolts? Always wanted to get my hands on some of those.

Keep yer dick in a vise.

no they're fucking useless

>they round off bolts
>they cannot handle any real torque without bending the jaws open and stripping the bolt
>the head is needlessly large so you can't fit them in small spaces
>they don't stay sized between jobs or even during them
>no auto technician worth shit will use one
>every auto tech professor will tell you never to use one on anything on your car

yes they are the tool of a charlatan.

>spinners

Underage b&

Your a cock beater if you even touch those nut rounders.

Yes. They're handy in a pickle, but they're banned from many work sites.

>not being able to tell the size of a bolt without measuring it

lol

But does it chooch?

I don't really have a problem with a shifter but theres not many things as good as a nice shiny set of spanners.

You can always get the right torque by rounding the head right off the nut.

It's called a Shifter you Eurotrash poofs.

master race

No thier not handy at all you fucking duck thier litrally uneless in every sinareo

>sinareo

thats a stupid way to wear a watch

Polygrips, you call them polygrips you Northerner

May was probably speaking in more general terms, but a crescent wrench is a particularly bad tool for working with bicycle pedals.

The flattened space on the spindle between the pedal body and crank arm is typically quite narrow, often too narrow to clear a regular wrench- which is why purpose-designed pedal wrenches exist.

The jaws of a crescent wrench usually won't even fit over a pedal spindle to loosen it. When one is used to attach the pedal, it's likely that it will get jammed against the crank arm as the spindle threads down into it- which appears to be what happened in OP pic. Though, sometimes the user's fingers get jammed before the wrench...

Along with the added width creating clearance issues, the sides of the jaws of adjustable wrenches are often tapered. Unfortunately, this makes it that much easier to cross-thread something like a pedal, which is already heavy/awkward and requires a little bit of care to screw in straight.

Im not sure the exact name but I have a massive craftsman mechanic set, never needed anything else

I have been wrenching on engines for like ten years now and I have never thought of this.

Do you cut the tensioner too?

I like adjustable wrench
but just like any other tool, if you don't known how and when to use it, you are going to fuck shit up

Holy shit I am saving this

Glorious Nazi Made Knipex. Use them all day every day.

sounds like you bought a shit spanner

Absolutely

he was that isn't the first time I heard that phrase. he said that on James May's The Reassembler

I use my snap on adjustable crescent all the time for alignments. They don't flex at all and have a nice grip, solid construction, and don't strip any bolts. It saves me a trip to the tool box and does the job fine. Also has a handy indicator showing the size of your bolt too.

//Unpopular opinion//
I have no problem with using a decent quality cresent wrench for easy to access, low torque situations. I do it all the time at work, It's sometimes a hell of a lot easier than digging my wrench set out of the tunnel box on my tow truck on the side of a rainy, unlit highway at 3 am.

not sure

Technically it is an implosive device shrapmetal doesn't kill the crew. Still sends out slivers of metal though.

It is so if something goes wrong during a lift the load can be safely detached from the aircraft. If you simply opened the hook the pendant sling would act as an elastic band and send the hook flying through the floor of the aircraft. Thus you just have to lose the whole assembly in an emergency.

I hope your spelling is bait

These things and kleins are basically the bread and butter of my job

t. lineman

>alignment
>adjustable wrench
>Not PWZ3

Calling bullshit

>fuck the next guy, I'll never see that car again

pretty much craigslist 101

>needlessly large so you can't fit them in small spaces
THANK YOU BASED NIPPON

Veeky Forums 101

they have a good chance of rounding bolts if you don't keep pressure on the worm dive
and are also too thick for many spaces

95% of the auto repair and aftermarket industry 101

>flat rate

If the inner is stuck and/or hard enough to turn that those pliers do any kind of significant damage, do you think the flats (if they're not rusted away already) are going to do you any good?

Way better to sublet our alignments out to a local alignment shop now anyway, our cost per is $50, we still charge $100 and can move on to better paying work instead. Alignment shop makes out because probably 90% of the work is just toe 'n go and they have a nonstop revenue stream, we get to offload alignments and move on to better paying work while still making a profit on alignments.

basically what the guy did to me when I bought my current shitbox

a bolt on my rear driver's side shock was sheared off leaving fucking nothing there. I only found out after I had upgraded my suspension a few months later.

>flat rate
>the inner is stuck
Upsell a rack
>customer declines
Now you don't have to do an alignment

That's how you make big money on flat rate, not banging your head into stuff with pliers and crescent wrenches.

That kind of shit can be found on most shitboxes and "enthusiast" cars that someone worked on themselves. When I see someone posting an old E36, 370z, whatever with a bunch of aftermarket parts that "only needs a few things" I always laugh on the inside knowing the kind of horrors that lie beneath.

Why don't people just do things the correct way instead of rigging everything?

thats a fuckin tum wrench b'y cuz you tighten loosen em with yer tum

BTFO
T
F
O

James May is a treasure.

>That's how you make big money on flat rate

I ain't gonna argue with you; I do it for a living, but if that's how you think it works you must be staving.