$200 Subaru Tranny Swap guy

So last week I posted about our Subaru tranny going... I swapped in a mystery tranny I got for $200, and all is well aside from minor output shaft seal leak which is a $10 seal I already replaced.

Took apart the old tranny and going to replace a few things in it, and keep it as a spare.

Picture included is the rear main shaft bearing, which is the only damaged part I can find in the whole tranny. Turns out to be a $50~ bearing.

Subaru still a good cheap car in my books.

The only reason people shit on Subaru is because of vapelords, great car, keep us posted faggot.

>mystery tranny

LOL @ $600 Canadian Peso's to Re-Re a tranny on these cars...

I'm $210 into this tranny swap, and my neighbour gave me some GL-5 oil for free from when he owned a Subaru. The savings keep on coming.

These trannys are awesomely simple inside.

Has 212 written on it and some other numbers/letters from an auto recycler... dude who owned it before me put 80k KM on it.

Otherwise it works perfect.

>boxer engines
not even once

280k KM, original head gaskets.

>Unnecessarily Xbox hueg 4 cylinder engine

no thanks I'll stick with Hondas

Remind me which sedan Honda makes with AWD?

Also, why does engine size even matter?

Sit a online 4 next to a boxer 4 and they are about the same. The online seems awkwardly huge when not in a car.

God damn spell check. Inline 4*

>Subaru
>Good
>Cheap
Pick two

>dat high center of gravity
no thanks I'll stick with subies

whats the best way to test for bad headgaskets or "early start". I hear you can get a combustion test kit of some sort to test the coolant, would a pressure test show all same?

Block tester with test fluid would find HC's or Hydrocarbon in your coolant. Also can literally see the head gasket leaking coolant on the sides of the block.

thanks, i'll buy one of those kits

>centre of gravity
You should look a little further into that. You'd probably end up quite disappointed with the boxer.

Make sure the final drive in the new tranny is the same as the old one. Won't be a very happy car if it has a different final drive in the front vs the rear.

Do subarus have glass trans or do people who buy them not know how to drive?

This, unless they did dry sump and didn't have to put headers on.

The problem I have with boxer engines is the pattern the vibration creates. I4s cancel each piston movement out fairly well, leading only to vertical vibration. The way boxers work, they vibrate in a circular motion, making them way harder to stabilize properly.

This is why you can rev I4s to the moon with fairly simple, if expensive mounts, yet boxers rarely go past 8k (for four cylinder versions, obvious F6s can go higher)

It's just not a good design for 4 cylinders, it's inherently imbalanced.

I always heard the boxer was smooth, but its a rattlebox especially at idle.

>powerful 4wd car
>vape bros launch them off traffic lights all day erry day

Well somethings got to give.

I don't know about the more current models, but the 5 speed in the the 1st gen Impreza GT and 2nd gen WRX isn't too happy if you go above 250-270hp
It's fine on stock power or an NA model though

Porsche gets it to work both because they use F6s, and kraut space magic. Other than that, boxers are shit. Porsche gets to make RR cars with boxer engines because they're fucking lunatics, everyone else should stick to the real world of FR and I4 V6-12

The Boxers I witnessed so far were very smooth

My Impreza was a bit noisy under acceleration, but once you're at constant speed and not under load anymore it was much smoother than an I4. You basically couldn't hear/feel the engine anymore while going down the autobahn at 140-150 kph. And that was in a shitbox from the 90s

Yes and no.

The trans used in the early '00 non-STi turbo cars was a poor choice, basically the same as the non-turbo cars trans, and kinda pushed to its limits at stock power. When people started adding more power and treating them poorly they end up shitting the bed pretty quick.

Who us grill? Hook up with tiddies

My Subaru has an F6 and it goes like a raped ape

I'm that user that asked about how hard rebuilding a tranny would be on a scale of oil change to engine rebuild.
Sure enough, like clockwork, my tranny killed itself a few days ago. Not sure if it's completely dead, or if it's just multiple gears engaged at once somehow. All I know is, it won't fucking move an inch without pushing in the clutch.

Don't rebuild it, but another one.

Once you break gears in a Subaru tranny your cost goes up significantly... especially if you broke the 3/4 spool gear... which I hear is about $350 CAD.

280k KM on a "weak" tranny seems pretty good to me.

We drive like grandma's in the car.. because it usually has children in the back.

Also... it's an EJ25... no turbo.. 160hp...

Well duh... both are 3.90 gears.

The diff that guy sold me with the tranny is pretty rusty... might clean it up and sell it.

the older 5 speeds are made of glass yes, they were absolutely fine in the NA version but the wrx's rip through them like nothing.

They are good. My dad had a 1997 legacy with 370 000km on it and still the original automashit transmission