Is there a flex fuel engine that fits in an 80s Monte Carlo? I want to fix one up someday when I have the money...

Is there a flex fuel engine that fits in an 80s Monte Carlo? I want to fix one up someday when I have the money, but I want to be able to run it on homemade booze for when gas is $25 a gallon.

Other urls found in this thread:

montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=950208
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

Old diesel engine; they'll run on vegetable oil. Used to run a van on leftover vegetable oil from pubs that I played in.

Running your car on booze is silly given the fascination of sin taxing by western governments.

I mean I would distill it myself and add acetone. And I've thought of a diesel, would you want a special transmission if you put one in a car?

You don't need a flex fuel engine. You just convert the sbc to run on alcohol.

>I mean I would distill it myself
that's illegal, dumbass.

>T. Yurop
Moonshine is American culture

Take the engine and fuel system from a late model Tahoe or Suburban. Some had over 400-hp.

You can get a federal fuel alcohol permit and then it's perfectly legal

this. e85 carb + lines that aren't 30 year old shit.
>paying taxes and fees on your homebrew
kek. bet you fuckers would do the same for wvo too.

Would that require fabrication to mount it in a Monte Carlo?

Everything else in the engine would be stock, then?

Of course it would require fabrication.
This is one of those things that "if you have to ask, you won't be able to do it" rings true for.

just modify the powerplant to accept e85 you fucking noob

OP is such a retard he couldnt even google search "1980 monte carlo e85"

montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=950208

this was the first result

>Everything else in the engine would be stock, then?
yes but e85/alky cleans the fuck out of the bore so if the rings are worn it's possible to create blowbye / oil consumption issues on a worn motor. SBC are like $500 and it's unlikely you'll be driving it enough to kill it so it's no big deal desu.

LS swap
Tune the PCM for e85 and replace the fuel system and you're good to go

That sounds easier. If I get a MC with the factory 4 speed manual, would the LS bolt right on, or is there a kit to join them?

>17271596
>swapping engines is easier than putting on a new carb a fuel lines
wew lad. both sound above your skill level desu.

Hey OP, GM makes an "E-Rod" engine that is flex fuel ready and also has VVT if I recall. The newer ones might also have cylinder deactivation too. It's 50 state legal and can run on high octane fuel or the e85. And also a tune would open more doors for different fuel like alcohol.

I'm not saying I'd do this tomorrow, and I'm capable of learning.

I've rebuilt an air cooled VW engine and found it easy enough to understand. All I need is a comprehensive guide to learn advanced things, I'll try to find a used textbook this summer.

Typical fucking bootlickers

>If I get a MC with the factory 4 speed manual
There were no manual Monte's made in the 80's outside very uncommon Mexican-market cars.
I'd find out how difficult it would be to mate a T56 to it. I wouldn't trust a TH200 to handle that much power. If it has a TH350 you might be OK, assuming the stock trans is able to mate to the engine.

>assuming the stock trans is able to mate to the engine.
The LS V8s, excluding the LS4 oddball, have the same transmission bolt pattern as the old SBC
OP, I'd look at GM's E-Rod crate engines or their Connect And Cruise packages.

Use a TH400, good 3 speed and almost bulletproof.

Noted, thanks.

Also OP the 4.8 is a good donor LS motor to use. Same block as a 5.3 but it is much more happy to rev. Quick revving, high strung, and love boost. Just my 2 cents though. Oh, and at salvage yards they can be picked up for sub 300 prices.

Cool. Same block but smaller bore, or is the stroke shorter? Idk honestly if stroke is factored in, I ought to do some reading.

4.8 and 5.3 are the same 3.78" bore