DIY tint

Has anybody here done their own tint job? Was it difficult?

My tint is scratched and starting to bubble in a number of places. I'm no stranger to getting the tint off, but I'm worried that if I do the application myself I would fuck it up.

Tips or stories would be great

It's not hard, but can be tricky.

I put 8 mil thick security film on my windows and it was a bitch because it was so stiff. Regular tint is much easier I would imagine.

Tips: mix up your own slip liquid and use lots of it everywhere and don't bother trying to tint shit outside. And watch some guides on youtube. they're pretty good.

I've watched a few guides. Not too concerned about the top 99% of the side windows, but I am concerned about getting that last mil under the weather stripping (that rubber blade that fills the void at the bottom of the window)

I'll probably be using 3M CR40 or similar so it'll definately be way thinner.

Luckily I've just started renting a place with a double garage so I'll have somewhere to do it at least.

To get under the weatherstrip you just blast everything with the soapy water and slip the tint under it after it's semi stuck down. And using a reasonably thin tint film makes this easier to do.

Another tip is to be very careful to not crease the tinting. Thats about the only way to fully fuck it up and have to start over.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm assuming you've done it before - how much length do you leave to run underneath the weather strip?

I'm not an expert but I don't think that guy knows what he's doing.

I've seen that tip elsewhere, but it was never specific as to how much extra material you needed.

Tint is for degenerates

5% and other stupid VLT levels yes, but not the legal stuff (35%+) Makes a big difference in the cabin.

I have a Mazdaspeed6 and my Mrs. has a regular 6. Mine has tint, her's doesn't. Makes a big difference to comfy level when sitting in it

>Has anybody here done their own tint job?

No, but I've always watched the tint shop apply the tint. It's pretty easy since they have those template guides and they do a good job cleaning the window that is normally hidden behind the door trim.

The shop filters its air not only with HEPA for the main central air unit, but they also use a separate electrostatic filter unit in the room they apply the tint. They don't do it outdoors and they let the air stabilize after they drive the car indoors.

After you get done, remember to put a strip of tape across your window control buttons. You don't want to accidentally move the windows around while the tint cures on.

>Tint is for degenerates
In one sense you are right. A major reason I get tint is to deal with degenerates and homeless walking by the car peering in to see what there is to steal. With tint, they have a hard time seeing inside and anything that makes them take a lot longer to do their thing is a good for security.

That, and it blocks sun to the inside. Pain in the ass at night if too dark

Nigger tint is for degenerates. Just enough tint to not bake yourself to death in the sun is preferable.

t. Texan

>Pain in the ass at night if too dark
Yeah, 35 does seem to be about the darkest one can go without too much blocking of my night vision.

Dark tint makes it harder to see out at night if your dashboard has a lot of lights. Some cars have the option to turn off the touchscreen display until it senses someone touch it. Other cars have interior overhead LED lights that are gently on to shine downwards and light up certain parts of the car such as controls or the console where storage or cellphone holders are located. Those can be turned off to improve visibility at night.

can't stand tint, especially if they darken the rear windows more than the front. I know that's for regs, but it looks so unfinished.
Why would I want to sit in a cave. I like to see out of my car.

>Why would I want to sit in a cave. I like to see out of my car.
Excluding those that like the cave feeling, I will answer your question. I would have gotten a nearly tintless car too along 70 or 80 mostly to cut the ultraviolet and reduce some of the radiated heat bouncing in.

But the car prowling situation is bad in the public parking lots. People walk through the lots all the time and as they walk by, they take a quick look. If your car is tinted darker, they cannot see much or see nothing from their quick look so they are forced to move on. They cannot slow down to look at each car as they walk because that makes them suspicious and the police will start watching them after people call in some complaints. If no one is watching, they can do their quick break of the window, snatch, and run off.

I guess that makes sense. I don't keep shit in my car, but for people that do, I understand.

Thanks

You can prove it to yourself in your own yard to your own car and a parking lot with tinted cars. The next time you go to the store, pretend and look into each car with the idea of seeing something tradeable, sellable, or usable.

You'll prove to yourself fairly quick that even 35% tinted windows are dark enough to stop casual seeing of stuff a lot of times. It depends on the car window design of course, but my car is nearly dark inside especially if I put a front window blind up to keep the sun/UV out.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it myself. Most companies only charge like $100 for it and it comes with a lifetime warranty too.

Mine did, at least.

>keeping anything in your car that isn't in a trunk or hidden compartment
I bet you've got trash in the passenger footwell too.

this I took mine in paid $100 cash and it took an hour. also lifetime warranty

The only tint I don't like is when the front side windows have a different amount of tint than the rear side windows. The imbalance annoys my desire for uniformity.

>Has anybody here done their own tint job?
The cost of having a shop do it is cheap enough I don't worry about the cost. Besides, I cannot get the 3M ceramic tint as a consumer since those rolls are sold to authorized shops and dealers. And even if I could buy it on the market, I'd have to buy a roll of it. I'd have a bunch of expensive left over unused tint afterwards.

The shop also has a lifetime installation warranty. The only times I've seen bubbling tint or peeling tint from side windows was when it looked to be DIY tint. As for professionally installed tints peeling, yes, they can peel off but the lifetime installation warranty covers that for my rear windshield.

Why would a professionally installed tint peel off? It's because the rear windshield in some cars uses those dark dots printed onto the glass in a pattern. It provides a sunscreen at the top of the window. Window tint has a problem sticking to it and the glass at the same time because those dots have thickness and thus push the tint away from the window.

>Tint sucks
That's what basketball americans say when they try to peek inside your car in the parking garage or parking lot and the tint gets in their way.