/ORG/ - Off Road General (sometimes Overland)

>100 remains pigfat overpriced IFS Edition

gay copypasta:
zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619
discord.gg/SenfAyU
watracing.com/?product=off-road-general

ITT:
>Toyota fanboys
>Suburban fanboys
>s/org/cal
>???
>Underage kids posting pictures of Toyota and Lexus SUVs they [sometimes] own
>knowing IFS is best
>always
>knowing automatic is best
>always
>CC81PT leaves
>overlanding general
>literal shitposting

>t-t-t-toyota a shit
>I don't want one really

t. amerifat

>posts a .gif
>i wait there for 10 seconds for it to move
>doesn't move
y u do dis

>literal shitposting
KEK, that really is the best way to describe it. It's okay though, I know I'm cancer.

Thanks, I like to think I'm good at blending in. From outward appearances, I'm about as much of a normie as one can be. Full-time college student with two part-time jobs, still living at home because $$$.

The rear end of that thing gets less flex than the IFS of a 100 series.
independent>live axle XJ

Any socalfags going to June Hoon?

i fell for it also user.

>tfw suburban for sale near me
>112k miles
>1998
>K2500
>7.4 Vortec
Is it worth going back to shitty mpg? Been driving a 350 for years now and im ok with what i get. Are the 454s really that fucked?

enjoy your 8 mpg dicking

112k miles probably means the trans isn't two steps from taking a shit

Can this be a niceposting thread?

The transmission will be fine, since it's a big block 2500 suburban it has the 4L80e which is one of the strongest and best 4 speed automatics made. All the hardcore 4wd builds use them behind their LS based engines

Niggers.

Is a brand new trd pro 4runner worth it or are they doing a redesign for 2018.

The current design is really fucking good. But i wouldnt pay the price they are asking for them.

Bomp

>Is a brand new trd pro 4runner worth it
Fuck no

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You guys are just ruining the org threads.

Can a Subaru be a viable off-roader or do I need something else? Has to seat 4 with room in the back and okay fuel economy.

>viable offroad
sure. why not. they'll wear much quicker and will have much larger issues if you start to get "Frisky". But sure.
>do i need something else
>need
You never need anything unless you're doing shit for business / hunting to survive. But if you want to shuttle around four people, you might as well get a 4runner, exploder, D21, or something on those lines.

Hey guys. With all the night driving I do, I'm always scared of deer. Is it worth running my winch cable from the front of my bumper and connecting it somewhere in the bed of my trucc and tightening it up in order to possibly deflect a deer that may come through my windshield? Or is that just too autistic and wouldn't work?

I've been thinking of welding two metal bars in front of my windshield so that my wipers can still work but would protect against deer just in case. But that would also seem heavily autistic.

>troubles with aesthetic vs utility

The people who want nothing but to argue endlessly are ruining these threads

>Veeky Forums
>not wanting to argue endlessly
r u fucking summer, fag?

This place was so comfy and then people started arguing over several threads about the same shit

BENIS

XJ, solid front axle yota> everything else
If you have an IFS yota I don't fuck with you sorry

>filename

I already own a Subaru Outback, I'm just debating lifting it and adding skid plates, or picking up an already lifted Cherokee for the same amount and just keeping the Outback as a DD.

am I /offroader/ now?

You're not gonna do much offroad with tires only.

sedan and wagon drivetrains were not meant to flex as hard as they should. definitely buy the pre lifted xj and using the subrau as a DD. or sell it for a high value and just drive the XJ around.

shit. I don't know how I missed that. I better go buy a truck

Happy to see my baby on top.
(Pic is from Echo Canyon, Death Valley)

why?

So 40 year old rotted in half SFA Toyota is better than a tube buggy, just because it's a Toyota?

>tfw can't go wheeling this weekend because I'm still fixing rust and constant rain keeps delaying it. I guess I could just power wash it again but after I found a drive in power washer that broke and got stuck on allowing me to completely clean the underside for half an hour for free I really don't want to fuck it all up.

Used to prefer square headlight 60's but I'm starting to like round headlights more

>not getting a clapped out rusted FJ62 for free from your parents and spending three years fixing most of the interior, repainting it, re arching the leafs and putting in new old man emu bushing and shocks, and a shitload other small details only for your gf to slowly destroy it all. After she influenced the destruction of the Impala in the pic lmao.

Kinda feel bad for my friend, but the damn thing just won't break under the amount of abuse it gets. She fuckin jumps the thing running down trails and she's barely even driven before lol.

holy shit the mojave is green this year

Working tonight...
Finishing up a couple of tasks on the project car, then rest of the weekend innawoods. Should be fun!

Generally the kind of off road driving that requires 4x4 and larger tires is going to be harsh on the drivetrain and suspension. Sedans and wagons just are not built to withstand that kind of abuse. Trucks and SUVs on the other hand, often are built in a way that holds up well to that kind of abuse.

I would not recommend using a Subaru for such things to begin with. But if you insist, I would highly recommend you only do so if you have a second vehicle to drive because you WILL break things. So if you're going to buy another vehicle anyway, you're best off using that one for fun and keeping the Subaru for a DD.

Fun to see your photos and recognize EXACTLY where you are.
Try Lovell Canyon and take Rocky Gap over into Red Rocks.

i bet you know the exact route i take
i'm going to check out carpenter tomorrow and then try to find the mine in stewart valley on sunday
the last time i did that trail i had my lj
i'm curious how the ifs will handle it

Heck of

Oh me, oh my, Cummy won't say nice things about my truck, what a shocking turn

Imagine the bitchin rig you can build for $42k

>Underage kids posting pictures of Toyota and Lexus SUVs they [sometimes] own

How'd ya know user?

rate my ranger that I got for $2900

Installed:

new clutch
TOB
slave cylinder
master cylinder
front wheel bearings
front rotors
manual hub lockers
changed all the fluids

It also came with one of a kind visor that I can't find online as far as i have searched, a bed cap and 30s I think.

>d Le
Why are you poor souls posting this DRY ASS TERRAIN?!?!?!?!

>desertfags don't got no water
>BASEDSWAMPATEER knows best
>*BanjoNOIsesIntesify*

You can probably sell the bed cap for like $500. Good deal, though. What engine and how many km?
How's the 4x4 system and other "features" for a 3rd gen?

Because wet climate spoops me now, hehe.

Looks mint, just need to slap some new aggressive tires on that bitch! 31x10.50s should fit...

the mojave is god tier
>not having to clean four inches of mud cake

unfortunately the 3.0 but I did the ignition coil, wires, plugs, cleaned the MAF and added new air intake filter.

It has the dana 35 upfront, and its a ttb.

Went wheeling and to my friends surprise it was extremely capable. Went down a couple of atv, dirt bike trails by accident and it did great + some climbs.

I need to get a 8.8 rear with the LSD though

Also it has no A/C like it didn't come with it as a feature but I have seen threads about making the A/C compressor into a on board air compressor so I am probably gonna do that in the future.

I also have a visor pic related that came with it. It was broken in 3 places where it joins the roof but I fixed it and painted it. It's pretty nice imo and like I said I can't find the exact one anywhere online but if someone could that would be cool. I am gonna mount it and put a 52 curved LED bar underneath it. I think that would fit it the best.

I detailed it before the picture lol, it's awesome and its a 5 speedI bought a "roll bar" that goes in the bed for 50 and painted it. It's came out nice but I am deciding what I want to do meaning: do I mount the bars or the cap ?

It would look good either way but for wheeling/outdoor/fishing/cargo transport purposes I think the cap would be more beneficial as I can keep more stuff and keep it dry.

alternatively:
>having to clean four inches of mud cake
just run a sprinkler, senpai

Dana 35 is nice capable and has pretty good flex. I take Taynger (2010, 4.0, torsions +3 inchs) racing dirt bikes occasionally. She even fits through little ATV tree tunnels quite well and at good speeds. Manual hubs is nice, too.

You do not need the 8.8 with LSD. Coming from a guy with 8.8 opens.

You can rig up an A/C system through your back window for cheaper and wire that into your battery.

idk the 8.8 with the LSD is an easy swap and it has the 4.10 gears which I want for this so I can put on 33s/34s but then I have to put them in the front too so at that point I should just put in 4.56s instead of the 4.10s

>he doesn't put mud tyres on his scooter and hit the BMX track

That's your call to make. If you get the 4.56s, you'll go up tyre size and down gear size so could be worth that.

I also say that you don't need 8.8 LSDs if yours is capable enough. Save your money for a front swap instead (which will be much harder, of course) and a few other accessory items. Front can fit 33s but you'll get a shitload of rubbing. Lift on TTBs may not be worth it if you can just use the money for the solid swap.

I routinely switch between the cap for sleeping / playing, gullwing toolbox for work, and open bed for deliveries. You could benefit from the bar but as long as you're not driving high speeds and flexing, the cap would be much more useful.

IF you do, make sure to get a rubber or plastic seal around the bed's walls in order to actually "keep things dry".

I don't like mud, i try to avoid it. Sand out here ends up like clay when you go through it, and it takes a couple days with a pressure washer to get it all off.

Besides, jumping over sand is more fun than slogging through shitty mud

That's because you don't get paid for it :^)

M8, I'd run butt naked into a cactus if I got paid enough, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it

i don't have a sprinkler or hose or any outside water source that allows cleaning mud of my heap
>innacity blues

I don't really care for A/C

And I have the open 7.5 rear end. I got stuck in a clay/sandish corn field for like 15 minutes. I need an LSD famalamalam.

I want to lift the ttb, it's pretty gud imo

>I need an LSD famalamalam.
why, famalamadingdongbodiggityshiggitybopboodop?

If you're going to do a swap, why not put something with rear E lockers in them already? Also, I've found that LSD is more difficult to deal with slipping hill climbs. Better for on the road but open has been better for off road (at least for me) manual hill climbs. Free spinning on an LSD may have made that clay worse. Get bigger, thicker, and better tyres and you should be able to fix it.

Also I see those KO2s on that Rangy. Have them on my Land Cruiser. I'd recommend Duratrac simply because of comfy. And plus it can match your Duratec engine, heh.

Remember the different levels of recovery:
>2wd until you can't
>4wd-l
>activate lockers
>traction aid or shovel and 2nd gear
>airing down to 10psi
>winch
>sleeping the night and waiting for the ground to solidify

I got my big boy tires on today

post front and rear bumpers

Anyone else got some trips planned for this weekend?

>LSD famalamalam
My LSD proved useful last winter, would recommend.
>tfw no ttb
Not a good feel.

No

Stop putting your dashcams in the middle of the windscreen like a fucktard.

>famalamalam
You know, instead of trying to evade word filters, you could try to avoid talking like a nigger.

>t. superior nigger

>im black
No one cares bro.

>Stop putting your dashcams in the middle of the windscreen like a fucktard.
hmmmmmmm........

km2's? looks nice man

I'm waiting for my second one to arrive to make them permanent. Right now, they have to be easily removed and switched between two vehicles

I kind of want a dashcam for when I go off-road. Anyone have any recommendations? Also how would I mount it so it doesn't vibrate like crazy on a trail?

Just mount it like normal and air down a little, the sidewall flex will soak up the vibrations.

ram mounts are the best option they are solid as a rock
bit on the expensive side though for a mount

what the fuck is that spoiler shit in front?
whats wrong with americans when it comes to pickup front ends?

its worth it, its more expensive than their opponents but it wont depreciate or fall appart in 15 years like the rest

nah, we have that figured out

are bug deflectors not a thing in other countries?

"Downforce doesn't exist"
-Crownon

>>>only pickup front ends
>>>only americans
all modern cars

That's called an air dam, it reduces drag on the underside of the vehicle by reducing the amount of air that goes under, increasing top speed and fuel economy. Also gives a very very slight amount of downforce.

i love the mojave

agreed

looks comfy as fuck, dude

the vast openness is always impressive
beautiful region

>wide open spaces

aw. it looks like a cute little Wall-E that is saying "I'm just happy to be here"

Land Cruiser looks perpetually upset.

What is the best off-road 4WD and why is it the Defender?

Best for what? Mudding? Sand Running? Hill climbing / descending? Rock climbing? Overlanding?

Best off-road 4WD during what period, location, and time frame?

>Mudding? Sand Running? Hill climbing / descending? Rock climbing? Overlanding?

All of them
Maybe not Sand

They're pretty good driving over a curb on the way to the shop, other than that I wouldn't recommend one

>This person owns a Jeep

The stock defender is 4500lbs. Mudding is meh.

Rock climbing, overlanding, and hill climbs / descending is a yes. Especially overlanding since this thing pulls off the "cube" design for maximum space efficiency without being autistic like the Scion or Nissan.

Sure, the old Defenders are great. But gas mileage (and therefore range) and highway and daily efficacy is pretty difficult to back up. So they never made them for the US/Canada market for that raisin.

I do? News to me (though I'm always on the lookout for an M715 for the right price)

>But gas mileage (and therefore range) and highway and daily efficacy is pretty difficult to back up. So they never made them for the US/Canada market for that raisin.

An imported Land Rover will find it harder getting parts and mechanics compared to a Jeep/Chevy etc.

A stock Land Rover Defender (a new one, anyway) will have the same people buying them as the MB G-Wagons. Have a dedicated mechanic and they will never even pop the hood of their vehicle once.

Funny, that doesn't look like a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 with a Vision 600 fiberglass camper shell and TrailGear front tube bumper