This is for a serious discussion about drive type

This is for a serious discussion about drive type.
RWD, FWD, or AWD ?

What's best for a DD that's also fun to drive?
I mentioned to my dad and brother that I'm thinking of getting rear wheel drive car and they pretty much just said that was really stupid and I should get a FWD or AWD. They said RWD is ridiculous bad in the snow but Veeky Forumstists have told me its fine if you have good tires and aren't stupid

what's Veeky Forumss opinion?
as far as RWD, I can't find many in my price range that are also manual(there's a lot that are auto though) it's pretty much just BMWs I can't afford maintenance for and 1 non-v8 Lincoln landbarge
FWD has many options, my favorite being a Ford Focus SVT. I like the car a lot, but I'm worried the something RWD would be more fun
there' one good AWD, a 05 impreza wagon. It's a nice car but I don't want the Subaru reputation and they just seem way to common. what's the best?

Other urls found in this thread:

vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/6136518882.html
vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/6142880768.html
vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/cto/6131191914.html
youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo
vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/6123629995.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anything with snow tires >>>> anything without snow tires. Drive layout does not matter.

FWD cars are actually pretty good now desu. For a DD I would recommend FWD. If you don't get snow then get an older RWD, if you get a lot, get a Subaru.
Also don't get turbo, 91 octane is too fucking expensive.

vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/6136518882.html FWD option

RWD option vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/6142880768.html

AWD option
vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/cto/6131191914.html
I got to college in an area with a lot of snow and ice, plus lots of hills. this points to the AWD subaru being better. however, I also like to have fun driving, and the ford seems more fun

desu fwd cars are better in the city. you're not gonna be putting all your power down that often, and they tend to be lighter and have better fuel economy.
you do have to work harder or improvise to have fun with them. when I was younger we'd put metal cooking trays under the rear wheels and drive around at night sliding around corners and shit.

>city
I don't really live in the city and my college is kinda in a town in the middle of nowhere. I plan to go drive around for fun a lot outside of the city

I mean
If you have money to burn in the long term
Legacy GT...
But 91 octane is a whore
Maybe a WRX if you can find one that hasn't been force injected with autism

the linked cars are in my budget, I can't spend much more than that. a WRX is going to be way more

I haven't yet driven anything RWD, but where I live has tons of hilly, twisty roads and we get a real winter. Absolutely the conditions for AWD. Depending on the car you may be able to drop out the driveshaft in the summer to pick up better fuel economy that's likely not realistic for most people, but I know some guys who do it

>They said RWD is ridiculous bad in the snow
What? It's FWD that's shit in the snow. RWD is good.

youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo
Good snow tires are really important when the temperature drops bellow 7c.

I never knew that winters made that much difference.

I meanI knew they were leagues better but i didn't know by that much

What is your max price for a car

vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/6123629995.html

What is best for a DD? FWD
What is best for fun? RWD
What is best in the snow, snow tyres. AWD will let you pull away more easily but won't help with steering or stopping.

If you can't afford the maintenance on a BMW you won't on a Ford, everyone I know with one spends more time with it in the garage than on the road.

I've never driven anything RWD that wasn't a pickup or a SUV :(

>vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/cto/6131191914.html
forget the fucking drivetrain layout.
the focus svt will be way better to drive because the suspension, chassis and engine were developed for spirited driving, which is something Veeky Forums doesnt understand because it isnt easily understood on paper like
>muh rwd
that lincoln, while cool on paper, will drive like a heavy gas guzzling corolla and the subie will drive literally like a corolla except going uphill in the winter.

OP please understand this. The difference in tires impacts snow driving literally 10 times as much or more than the drivetrain layout does.

5th gear or some other car show from england showed it with a certain grossover. Fwd and awd on summer, both on all season, both on winter. Fwd on winter beats the shit out of awd on summer or all season.

Fwd can be easier in winter than rwd because quite some weight (engine) is above the driven wheels. This CAN reduce the chance of the front wheels losing grip. Once grip is lost, it comes down to driver skill and experience. Rwd and thus oversteer is, in my personal opinion, easier to correct than fwd and understeer. To regain grip in fwd one would have to reduce gas and steer the wheels back to their neutral position, and THEN steer back. This is so counterintuitive to normies that most crash regardless of layout.

Depending on where you live though, try to do a training about this. Here in Netherlandistan it is quite a hype to give these so-called "slippage courses" as a birthday present. They're 200 eurobucks or something. A teacher teaches you how to react when wheel slip occurs

>That Subaru
I'm actually looking for slightly new one and may buy that one since it's only a few hours away.
My experience with AWD:
>Major snowstorm
>Took my $700 Subaru with all seasons out in the snow for a Timmies run
>No snow plows out yet
>mfw I drive just fine there and back

the general consensus amongst engineers and mechanics is that you are incorrect and that understeer is far easier to correct than oversteer. that's why they now recommend prioritising rear tires before front ones, regardless of drive train.

>Fwd can be easier in winter than rwd because quite some weight (engine) is above the driven wheel
That's why you toss a few hundred lbs of sandbags over the rear wheels during the winter man.

99.99%+ of the time it makes literally no difference

as someone who dailies an MR in north europe which gets snow RWD is not a big deal.
Half the cars are bimmers and they drive in winter fine. just get good tyres and don't be a retard and you're fine.
You don't need 800lb f lifted crew cab bro truck with snow chains and steel testies hanging from back.
You can do fine with a kei car in snow. Even if entire road is covered with mirror smooth ice you'll be fine with any car.
t. take my MR on ice tracks with mirror smooth ice during winter and do fine

snow is overblown by dumb americans who drive summers and stomp on gas and blow into semis and then try to sue the weather.

Oh no. Someone please tell me the Miata is a bad dd. Someone. Please

>everyone 91 octane is expensive
>always buy 94 octane because it's ethanol-free
>make up the difference in increased fuel economy

maybe one with 290k miles

FPBP

Thread should've ended here

It generally doesn't matter if you're following the rules of the road. If you want to drive like a retard, then you may get more out of RWD. You'll also probably end up with a suspended license.

Haha uh no, just do it on back roads or at night. I've never been caught snow drifting and I've been doing it for 3 yrs in my Miata

Red with open differential is bad. But as long as you get a performance car with LSD it's fine.

Have fun getting impaled on a guard rail, child.

>lot of snow and ice
>Vancouver
Only during a La NiƱa winter, which we just had.. Won't have another one for 8-10 years, last one was '08-'09

rwd with a couple sandbags in the boot is fine for snow

At most I'll slide into a ditch, chill. I know the spots that are safe

>Red

That's 290k kilometers. About 180k miles

>Vancouver
I'm actually from Washington. Car prices in Canada are generally a lot cheaper and the exchange rate makes 75 of my cents equal to $1 up there. When you're talking in the thousands, i save like $800.