/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we discuss Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including cartoons and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more

/sthg/ #719 - Helmetless edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/Developments

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7d9-RxHRtR0&index=67
youtu.be/aPtTwwMzHhk
imfdb.org/wiki/Shadow_the_Hedgehog
imfdb.org/wiki/Sonic_X
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>"Why am I connected to the BEE JESUS!?!!!"

AND UNLIKE NO OTHER FUTURE

This

youtube.com/watch?v=7d9-RxHRtR0&index=67

FAST

"But I might know of our future"
"But then you still control the past"

Shit, that's it?

It's really hard to hear on all versions of that song

Some people think the lyrics are "furball" instead of "faux pas"

That was the best thank you

So the generations version of Sonic are supposed to be the past and future versions?
Where does Sonic 3 fit in?

I always thought it was fubar, as in fucked up beyond all repair, because that's what Silver's future was in the beginning of game

Could the Shadowanon do this?

>"Just because I say 'Chaos Control' or 'Chaos Spear' doesn't mean I believe in some water monster coming out of that giant rock Knuckles claims to give a shit about. It's like people screaming 'Oh my God' when Eggman destroys a city with some robot Jack in the Box. You think all those people believe in god?"

>"Pfft. Omega would understand what I'm talking about."

I want SEGA to be more savage on April Fools.
Go above and beyond like Arika and announce Sonic Adventure 3 complete with a trailer. The salt would be legendary.

Aaron, go away. And take your Big memes with you.

I need more reaction images

Have this one hot off the press

Hey, user. Get in.

But Sonic, there's no room. I guess I'll just have to sit on your face

It's a one seater, asshole

NOT for sexual!

What kind of tea does silver drink?

It might haven taken place for Classic Sonic, but Sega/Sonic Team didn't include Classic Knuckles or Amy because they weren't as influential back then as Classic Tails.

I sincerely wish Sonic Team and Sega stopped all this multi era crap... *Sigh* No one with even the slightest of brain like Generation's story.

>Classic Knuckles.
>Not as influential as Classic Tails.
Surely you jest?

I really like this guy's drawings now. He's been improving since he first came here.

We have blueberry, raspberry, ginseng, sleepy time, green tea, green tea with lemon, green tea with lemon and honey, liver disaster, ginger with honey, ginger without honey, vanilla almond, white truffel, blueberry chamomile, vanilla walnut, constant comment and...earl grey.

Silver would actually be a decent character if he did something like this.

You're not wrong. He's improved pretty well.

Mephilis pls

To be fair, whereas most people idolize Classic Tails for bringing a buddy/multiplayer function to Sonic; Classic Knuckles and especially Classic Amy didn't do a whole lot. Most people tend to think of Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes when it comes to Knuckles and Amy.

I did it, I finally fucking did it.

I beat Sonic Spinball. I beat the fucking Showdown and I beat that cheating faggot Robotnik. It feels so fucking good, you have no idea.

Alright gentlemen, listen up.

Should Sonic go open-world?

Sonic Utopia?

Aw shucks, That legitimately warms my heart

Now, no.

But I think Sonic can easily work in an open-world format. The problem is I doubt Sega/Sonic Team's desire or ability to pull it off.

Open levels would be fine, open world? It'd kinda kill the point system. It could work, but you'd have to sacrifice a lot for it to work. Hubs can be open though?

Also if anyone wants to refer to me as "C_D" or just CD that's fine

I wish Generations Modern levels had been made up of level design like the section in City Escape in between the snowboarding section and the 2D section.

He's already a cool character, user!

>He's already a cool character
>This meme again.

As do I. They're really pushing their look with the overly linear, forced direction corridors. People have already began to complain about it on You Tube. Hopefully there's a pending back-lash with their current approach to level design.

Would Shadow the Hedgehog's combat system work as an online shooter, in the vein of SRB2?

Ain't a meme if it's true!

There really wasn't all that much wrong with Shadow The Hedgehog's game-play other than the fact that: "It wasn't a Sonic game." Well, yeah... No shit... It was never marketed as one.

I get enough story and great character tropes in the RPG/Spin off Mario games that I can allow for the main games being somewhat one dimensional. That's why I can enjoy Mario a ton.

Skip to 0:54
youtu.be/aPtTwwMzHhk
Eh, I'm leaning more to Modern Sky Sancuary.

Okay, so Forces is Modern and Classic right?

What if the new character is FUTURE?

I mean what if they use this chance to introduce a new sonic design and that is the design going forward with a new gameplay style that they will use from now on and what if it's GOOD?

What if Sega are using Mania as a smokescreen to actually drop a good fucking title and not only that, but as a surprise? What would you expect/want/not want?

No, that's too far an extreme. Levels should be wider.

I love all of these

Agreed. As a fan of the Ratchet and Clank series, I definitely would have played the hell out of it as a kid if it didn't have such serious undertones to it.

I think open world would be a fantastic way of developing a truly modern 3D gameplay system that doesn't just holdover sacred cows just because they're in the classic games, especially if Mania continues beyond a single game (which it should).

Sonic, get out.

You look so stupid and nerdy in a car you idiot.

Honestly? I just wish Sonic Team went back to normal and stopped trying to be like Pixar or attempting to merge multiple eras for absolutely no reason other than to pander.

Thanks!

They're nice and all, but they get posted every single thread.

Did someone say Future Sonic?

Gameplay was fine, game design was nothing short of a trainwreck

The controls and movement of the character was horrendous. It's even slippier than Heroes.

When it comes to the missions, yeah I'd 100% agree. Interesting idea, but the execution was all wrong.

Modern Sky Sanctuary was great too, as were parts of Seaside Hill and Rooftop Run.
I mostly just wish that I wasn't forced to play in 2D with Modern, when that's the entire reason Classic is in the game.

I had no problem with it. Nor did I have any problems with Heroes.

This.

It's pretty much Sonic Heroes without the "teamwork" and with gunplay and vehicles duct-taped to it. Kind of lazy really. Which is weird, because Sega's mid-2000s gun choices (outside of the pump-action MP5) are oddly specific.
imfdb.org/wiki/Shadow_the_Hedgehog
imfdb.org/wiki/Sonic_X

Yeah, ain't going to argue there. It was even made on the same exact engine as Heroes as well as from the same exact assets for the most part.

My friends hated me for wanting a less slippery, more controlled and reinvented, Sonic Heroes 2 at the July 22nd Sonic party. Was I wrong to want it?

Absolutely not. Sonic Heroes was probably one of the best and more polished 3-D games. Bosses were kinda shit though :P Except for of course him ;)

Well here's a look at "Not-Mama Robotnik" from tomorrow's episode.

Also Dat Sticks in a Sweater. I need more of that

Also I may have missed it last thread but what was the general reaction toward's "Eggman's Brother"?

Wanting to take a game with flaws and fix all of those flaws isn't wrong.

Your friend just seems to have sperged out.

How about this:

>open hub worlds
>every level has its own "section" of the hub map like BotW
>plays like Utopia or GHP with similar design
>to unlock level sections you must beat that stage in a Modern Seaside Hill-tier linear level except without boost
>once unlocked you explore the hub of the same theme, special stage rings/red rings/extra acts/missions and all that shit
>can still attack enemies and gather rings in the hub, maybe even superbosses
>can buy upgrades
>100% optional automatic run button to control Sonic like a car

Basically I want Sonic: Breath of the Wild.

Sticks is so fucking huggable and cuddly.

I like the sound of that, basically like Sonic Adventure, but levels are not separated by loading screens and the hub is more involved as an over-world? Now that could work.

TAKE THIS

not gonna lie, Heroes and Shadow had some of the best combat systems in the entire series, though admittedly at the cost of speed and platforming. Despite this, it seems that all three were present in equal measure, though at a more subdued amount than that what made the series popular as a whole.

I was referring to Metal, but Egg Emperor was a decent challenge as well.

Agreed.

Well, the linear levels would have to be separated by loading screens once accessed, but nothing in the overworld would be.

Depends what the levels themselves are and which area they would be best suited or believable.

If you're going to do that then just make the levels part of the world itself instead of separate linear levels.

There was plenty wrong with Shadow's gameplay, and funny enough most of the non-Sonic elements were some of the worst offenders. It actually would've been better as a straight-up Sonic game.

Like what?

That would be impossible. Boost levels are XBOX HUEG. You can't add them onto an already-massive open world without including a loading screen.

>>to unlock level sections you must beat that stage in a Modern Seaside Hill-tier linear level except without boost
>Modern Seaside Hill-tier linear level except without boost
>linear level except without boost
>except without boost
>without boost
>without
>boost

Then get rid of the boost or better yet have it tied to momentum, so that you only boost when you gain a certain speed. Boost is still usable, but it can't be overused as it's directly tied to your momentum.

I think an open world Sonic would function better like Pic Related instead of BotW. In Ty 2 and 3 you had a few hub levels that connected sections of the map that held more linear, level-esque areas to themselves, each with its own set of secret paths and collectibles. This system of level entrances also allowed smaller towns and battle arenas to exist, in which you could buy upgrades and win prizes. Naturally though, these levels and areas were blocked off until you finished certain missions in earlier areas of the game.

BotW contrasts this by having everything open from the beginning, and the only things stopping you being your lack of health and armor. Given that Sonic would be more or less constant in terms of his survivability throughout the game and therefore more reliant on new abilities to get through certain areas a la a metroidvania, I don't think Sonic would fit in well in BotW's world.

Even without boost, Modern levels are massive. We're talking actual size, not how much time it takes to beat them.

It simply isn't feasible on a technical level is what I'm saying.

There are hundreds, possibly thousands of games that have worlds larger than Sonic levels no problem.

Stop thinking in terms of Sonic's sacred cows. You can easily make an open world game where Sonic moves as fast as he did in, say, Adventure.

Oh, sorry misread you there. I think a good way to combat that would be for Sonic Team to stop making levels that consist of 5 mile straight, narrow corridors and instead go back to levels that can branch out. Basically instead of the back-ground being: "Back-ground." make it part of the level instead. To an extent of course.

>There are hundreds, possibly thousands of games that have worlds larger than Sonic levels no problem.

But none of them have the setpieces and gimmicks that Sonic stages have. Those need to be loaded.

That's true. Levels mustn't feel too long though.

Then stop using set pieces and gimmicks, fuck-stick. Christ. Think with your actual brain for once. Why include set pieces that take away control from the player in a game based around giving player freedom of movement? Why include gimmicks unless they go along with the base gameplay? It's useless bullcrap, not something that's mandatory for a Sonic game.

>Then stop using set pieces and gimmicks, fuck-stick. Christ. Think with your actual brain for once

Yeah, they need to find some way of steering away from those gimmicks. They were only originally put in place due to the limitations in technology they'd at the time. Now they barely have those limitations anymore.

- Melee attacks are useless and actively detrimental to the player.
- Vehicles are clunky and slower than Shadow's own speed, so they're useless outside of the occasional mandatory vehicle gimmick segments.
- Chaos powers are less useful than Shadow's base gameplay if you're not taking the neutral path or fighting a boss.
- Weapon aiming can be a pain with the normal controls, especially with the lack of manual lock-on. I didn't mind the controls when it came to actual movement and platforming, but they suck for precise aiming, even in weapons with auto targeting.
- Weapons in general aren't really balanced well. Either the level expects you to use weapons in which case it's a pain in the ass to get through without them, or the level is balanced allowing the player to get through without them in which case weapons make them piss easy. The fact that weapons are one-at-a-time and temporary severely limits that aspect of the gameplay and turns it into a shallow gimmick.