/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8311
reddit.com/r/brogueforum/comments/62s74u/announcement_new_variant_brogue_fourq/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for chei

headroom is bloat

You're doing it wrong.

Oh yeah. Dark gift has the dark cooldown. That's why Friar Rush has quiet prayer.

why am this happen?

checked all gear, but nothing looked like it would be causing this

Because it's dark you retard

It has a cooldown of 2, which means quiet prayer does nothing.

but phial is equipped

>play ent wild talent
>You gain the power of "summon tree" like an ent!

did you let the phial recharge in the daylight? If you didn't, it won't work.

isnt there a 25% chance for something "good"

Haha, cute!

that's just ridiculous and untrue

What should I take for primary on orb? Ice Ring is still good after patch and I usually take elec for primary but elec just doesn't feel good due to all the missing unless you put a few points into Agility.

>daylight
>not starlight
>not the light of the Silmaril carried on the bow of Eärendil's skyship

>reading Silmarillion (again) now

I... I just survived a horde of 25+ zombies and a shocker brute in a 'wolf suit', armed only with a simple pump action shotgun... I took almost no damage somehow. Is the wolf suit OP?

dark used to be god tier but ferret nerfed it with an ugly stick because no fun allowed

Since its furshit, probably.

Would a monster filter mod from 2015 still work? I'm trying to collect on a list of filter mods for maximum customization with Bloatclysm.

Forgot to attach pic.

>Light of the silmaril on Eärendil's ship
>not the light which begat it, from the trees Laurelin or Telperion
>not the cosmic primordial blaze of Aulë's two Great Lamps, Illuin and Ormal
>"Melkor looks scared!"

to gaze upon the light of the two trees once again before I die, that was my only wish
blargh

I wonder if Morgoth Bauglir still had a chord of goodness in him, despite it all..
Doubtful, considering how long a time he had to corrupt himself.

Is it canon that the lamps in Valinor made it permanent daytime? I always figured it was more like permanent dusk with a reassuring distant light.

Well, there certainly wasn't any day-night cycle during the time of the lamps. As for the strength of the light, I'm not sure. It wasn't specified (as I can remember, anyway), but you're probably right: permanent dusk with a reassuring distant light.

Angband is so lucky to have Middle-Earth as a setting. It really was a good choice

Is this a JoJo reference?

>One "day" lasted twelve hours. Each Tree, in turn, would give off light for seven hours (waxing to full brightness and then slowly waning again), so that at one hour each of "dawn" and "dusk" soft gold and silver light would be given off together.[1]

Neat

Dio's in there, so probably.

>user makes op pic
>uses brogue thing
Yeah happy 1st of April to you too you fuckhead

Cowardice/fear-vulnerability causes that

aw shucks

out of coffee again

Oh please user
I'm not *that* dumb

By the way:
TrunkMuMo status: Hot garbage.

Literally unplayable. getting 0 UC means dying over and over in D:1 and D:2.

Friendly reminder that if a roguelike's website is hosted on Google Sites it's safe to ignore.

like what
incursion?

Brogue and InfraArcana are two reasonably well known ones that do it, but I've noticed a lot of smaller roguelikes seem to use google sites for some god awful reason as well.

PCB uses google sites
what's the matter with it

also I rolled around in dosh for a while in wizmode to see if lazy android monk could actually work out
Turns out it actually can thanks to the fact the black market gives you items proportional to your level
Just equip a really strong thing you can't use (like a very pricy weapon+ dragon armor) and keep sleep-rerolling until you get something really good
Still, rootkit lawnchair has something like a 25% failrate so that sucks
lazy is horrible, don't play it

How's PCB different from the traditional Angband? Is it only more content, or is the gameplay different?
(Also, would it still be fun to play as a Tolkien lore fan?)

Well, angband only has one town and a dungeon. Poscheng and the variants before it added a whole wilderness (a gigantic angband map), something like 20 dungeons in total, each one of them with a themed boss that when you kill him gives you class-appropriate loot and a stat-up of your choice.

Man, this makes PCB look a lot more interesting than it actually is
On paper, the game's great

>(Also, would it still be fun to play as a Tolkien lore fan?)
Not really. There's very littleTolkien, if at all, in Poschengband.
You want Sil for that.

Finally a good weapon, 700 damage against evil enemies.
Not too shabby, frankly. Against good I can just throw Hellfire.

My speed is real shit though, and killing Destroyer ate through lot of my consumeables.

>NAO outputs colors differently to my local Nethack install so I have to use a completely different configuration for my terminal emulator or else some tiles just don't draw
Well that's incredibly annoying.

>7.30 hours
>coffebreak mode
Why aren't you using the cesti of the destroyer?

Didn't drop them.

I also managed to find with a sling with electricity immunity, so I got my elemental resistances completely covered.

He has a chance not to drop them? That sucks.
Also is having immunity that important over having just 72%?
Wouldn't having 3 Rshards/shounds/nexus/darkness be more important?

Immunity also protects from auras. It's rather nifty, and I don't lose a lot anyway.

And that's Oberon out of the way.

How about changing the name fro "coffebreak" to "day off" mode

It's like I'm playing my life.

>cranes
Mother of God. Why does EVERYTHING need a crane? Do I need another crane to install a crane?
Where can I get pipes and wires?

On cranes.

>your skill in roguelikes has increased to 1
>you feel sad for a moment

That's new to me, but then again I haven't touched vehicle construction in more than a year.

Hopefully they won't find out that interdimensional monsters are unrealistic

tfw xtahua mumo not up

>don't even have all equip slots filled yet

>that pic
isn't that how real cars work

shit forgot the picture

what game is that and is it good

Is anyone else having problems with poschengband 6.0.0 and savefiles? I started a new game after not playing it for a year, saved, exited and now every time I try and load my savefile it just dumps "loading" in the terminal and insta-closes. I really want to continue my game but I can't figure out what to do - I've tried admin mode and such in case it needed to write somewhere and couldn't do it, but that didn't seem to help, and I'm really running out of ideas.

It's The Temple Of Torment.
Game has problems

Later

angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8311

>angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8311

50 dicks. Thanks, user. I will try and contain my mild rage and play an earlier version.

Need a goal right now. First reply chooses the game I'll play until I ascend.
So far I've only won DCSS (15-rune). No *band please.

Nightmare mode incursion
get fucked

What Stone Soup build do you guys recommend? The pastebin claims newer releases are dumbed down.

The original crawl

Don't know anything about that one. Will report when I realize how fucked I am.

I would guess that you're bad at Incursion, because nightmare mode isn't actually that difficult.
All it does is increase base "depth," which determines the strength of spawns for that floor (enemies and items), by 3. So floor 1 spawns items and enemies as if it were floor 4 in a non-nightmare game. If you know how to play Incursion, this means that you get both EXP and good items faster, and later floors spawn extremely powerful items.

>isn't actually that difficult.
No, it isn't. But it crashes every time you go down past dungeonlevel 7.

Just play a good game instead.

NetHack meets Brogue!

reddit.com/r/brogueforum/comments/62s74u/announcement_new_variant_brogue_fourq/

But daylight is starlight.

This isn't funny even as a joke.

I don't understand if this is an april 1st joke or an actual thing because of the wall of text.

Isn't it supposed to be a play on Nethack4, which also was announced on April 1 but turned out to be a real game?

I am not reading all that shit, so who knows.
It'd honestly be nice to have a nethack fork with brogue's UI though.

Like what?

In PCB, do you have to start with the riding skill (IE play Cavalier or something) to be able to ride creatures, or is it possible to train it from 0 in some sort of icky ride fashion?

linely's

I personally prefer 0.14.

Lindsay's Crawl
it was made by a girl so you know it's good ^.^

.15 is still pretty good.
It was the turning point of dcss.

0.10*

Xtahua MuMo Up!

Yeah, 0.15 was the point of turning to unplayable (for me). So thanks but no thanks.

Bring back victory dancing

Just play 0.19 or trunk/0.20. There's no reason to start playing DCSS at an old and unmaintained version of the the game, considering that improvements are made all the time.

There was a small discussion in the past thread, but the main reason people on /rlg/ dislike DCSS is due to its low headroom (as in, there aren't tons of different ways to reach a given goal). Each version of Crawl does more to re-establish that fact, even when (some) people don't like it.

PCB is historically liked here because 1) it has high as fuck headroom and 2) there are lots (and I mean *lots*) of unexplored options that could lead to wins. That doesn't mean it's a good game, or that Crawl is bad -- just different design goals.

tl;dr:
The answer to "what's the best version of Crawl" in /rlg/ is always "The version I started playing."

What happened with 0.15/generally to make DCSS turn shit? I stopped playing DCSS years ago.

>"The version I started playing."
Not really, but whatever.

That's a lie! I started playing in 0.6 and there were many improvements made from there.

The main reason people on /rlg/ dislike DCSS is because the devs are egoistical fucktards who've sucked out all the fun, flavor and player choice out of the game. Their "muh design philosophy", DM vs. players mentality and hipster dev buzzword based game design have turned the game into a stale, streamlined Product.

All the gods have been narrowed down, nerfed and turned viable for a smaller subset of characters.
Countless spells and items have been nerfed, dumbed down or removed.
Retarded kneejerk reaction mechanics like energy randomization, OoD clock, runelock, bezotting that are just pure cancer, all because some player played the game in a way that made the devs butthurt.

The most prominent point of 0.15 was the removal of item destruction.
Overall lots of little fun things got removed, the game got shortened and simplified. Lots of really great things got shittified because of fictional "balance" (the new god being the most prominent example).
Basically, if you liked throwing stones at jellies or dropping a knife so that annoying orc warrior picks it up and wastes a turn to create a gap, or using a wand of random effects to break a wall in the lab, or frankly speaking any other semi-obscure tech, then you'll be disappointed by the current versions, hard.
Even cantrips now are mentioned explicitly () instead of old flavor text.
Also necromancy got nerfed hard, there are no rods, disk of storms, cards (Nemelex only, moved to invo from evo — yeah, bullshit, I know), amulets of stasis, clarity, warding, mutation resistance, wands of disint no longer affect statues or walls, wands of haste, tele, invis and heal are no more...
Everything is IDd very easily.
Anyway I need to go, can't list everything I dislike, but you got the general picture.

The newest one.

>dumbed down
Yes, it's "dumbed down" if you enjoy tedious shit that doesn't bring much into the game or shit that's so obviously the best choice that you won't ever consider other ones. The only thing I miss are Stalkers and old Ogres.

I should probably keep both weapons around.

Having killed the glory that was MuSu of SifMu, the dev team have moved on to the next target.

Are your assholes fucking ready
Probably not
someday