Does playing chess improve your brain capacity, or is it a meme?

>does playing chess improve your brain capacity, or is it a meme?

My anecdotal evidence is my friend is dumb as shit but can play some chess. Prison will do that I suppose

I think chess helps with strategic thinking if you consciously apply it.

>control the center
take opportunities
>"if you find a good move. Think, and find a better one"
Kinda self-explanatory

Other than that I don't think chess will make you smarter like sudoku or crosswords

It's better than posting on a Peruvian bee-keeping image sharing site

>"if you find a good move. Think, and find a better one"
Was that Tal who said that?

i think there are a lot of studies showing its domain expertise only, chess makes u better at chess.
like those brain games only make u better at similar puzzles, not fuckin smarter

If you're under the age of 25 years, your brain is greatly more plastic, and therefore you're more able to develop your intelligence.

With intelligence, it's a lot like lifting weights.
You lift, you recover, you get stronger.

You exercise specific muscles, those muscles get stronger.

Same shit with the brain.

Chess now is so thoroughly mapped out, that intelligence, for the most part, can be taken out of the equation.
Even the most stupid of humans can receive information and retain it, memory is a thing of humanity. Given enough time, effort, and dedication, a stupid person can be trained to be damn good at chess, because you just need to memorize a bunch of shit to get good at chess.
For a large majority of people, it's most efficient to memorize chess than to calculate chess.

Memory is but a small section of the whole that is intelligence.

Being knowledgeable is not equal to being intelligence.

For each thing you may or may not want to accomplish, it takes some special combination of certain types of knowledge, as well as certain types of intelligence, to accomplish, not to mention the time and effort.
The more knowledge you have, the less of the other stuff you have, same with intelligence, time, and effort.

It does make you more intelligent, just not as much as it makes you better at doing that specific thing.
Squatting heavy weights really works out your legs, that doesn't mean it doesn't work out your abs at all.

Fucking educate yourself, fool. Don't spread your delusional and ignorant ass bullshit around like the plague.

Sudoku and crosswords will make you smarter?

Well explained, any advice on how to train intelligence? Sometimes I watch a nice documentary for educational purpose, but a week later I vague memory about what I saw... Unlike reading, I vision myself with the storyline which I can use as a grip to memorize words, sentences and information I've learnt from reading. Hope you get my message lol.

Any tips for brain exercises, since I'm a couple of years under the ''25'' norm?

>Being knowledgeable is not equal to being intelligence.

sometimes I think I'm not actually that smart, but just have a great memory.

That means I rarely make the same mistake twice, I can replicate things that were successful, never lose things, retain abilities long after I've stopped actively using them, etc

Take advanced math classes, and read hard books with big words. Basic exercise is also suppose to help too.

i'm 30 years old
am i going to be retarded forever now that i'm over 25?

Damn I suck a math lol, I'd have to start from the basics.
Any recommendations on books?

look at the Veeky Forums sticky for books, and if you just want to learn the basics Khan Academy is pretty good with its practice problems.

Yep.

no

Sorry meant to say, "like chess, sudoku or crosswords will not make you smarter"

idk some grandmaster from the early 1900s. I'm just getting into chess. My blitz rating is 500 :/

if your hobby is chess i dont suspect you have a brain at all

good post desu

No, and there is no evidence for it. Strategy videogames though have been proven to increase pattern-recognition skills i.e. g i.e IQ.

Like which games?

How is chess not pattern recognition?