Can i get an honest opinion on the whole car-modding culture? is it stupid or is it a legitimate hobby?

can i get an honest opinion on the whole car-modding culture? is it stupid or is it a legitimate hobby?

It's for Mexicans and Asians

>Implying legitimate hobbies aren't mostly stupid
Modifying cars is expensive and doesn't raise the cars value any but the same can be said for putting a swimming pool in your back yard. Is that stupid? It depends on the joy of gives you.

Yes to both.

does one excludes the other? faggots cal everything stupid, and if someone really likes a thing, he won't care. Aggressive optic tuning done well looks amazing, no matter what insecure people afraid of showing any kind of uniqueness/character say.

although i guess 'culture' attracts a lot of low-lifes, chavs, or other rap lovers with 10000w subwoofers, so i guess there might be a reason to hate it

putting a swimming pool in your back yard raises the value of your home

it's cool if you do it yourself and know what you're doing

most people don't know what they're doing though

both

its a waste of money

Wrong. Do some market comparables.

Except it raises it less than the cost of the pool in almost all cases. And many people don't want a pool because of the safety, cost, and maintenance concerns.

>no matter what insecure people afraid of showing any kind of uniqueness/character say.
Calling anyone who doesn't share your taste as "insecure"? How is a crippled looking 2001 civic with a fartcan and primer paint "unique"?

>Y-you're just a hater!!"

Also it's not unique if you're doing the exact same this as everyone else in your faggy subculture.

It's absolutely not a waste of time or money if you enjoy doing it and enjoy the results via driving. It helps when you have friends who are into it as well who can help you out, especially if they have tools you don't have, but it's very rewarding regardless.

It will NOT add value to your car however, and may void any existing warranty you have on it. If you decide to get into it, make sure it's with a car that you don't mind owning for the next 10 years.

oh look its one of the faggots he was talking about

>is having a hobby dumb Veeky Forums?
No.

What's your point? Nothing is above criticism.

IMO if you're modifying your car for the track with it be for drag racing, drifting, or plain old circuit racing, its totally fine.

But if you're modding your street car... just to do highway pulls... well then

If you have the tools, skills, and spare vehicles to do things like drop junkyard turbos into miatas all by yourself, sure, it's actually a great hobby and probably cheaper than fucking golf.

And if your actual hobby is trackdays, doing your own suspension and brake work is pretty much mandatory. And yes, big wheels, low cars, and negative camber (done properly) are legitimate track mods. If it wasn't racecar it wouldn't be popular with posers.

you just dont like it so you talk shit

aka hater

>Take thing you have
>Make thing more to your tastes
It's not hard to figure out OP. Although swagfags with stanced vapemobiles will be swagfags. And beaners have shit taste/execution as well.

Only minor mods for me. Stanced looks atrocious imo

> Aggressive optic tuning done well looks amazing, no matter what insecure people afraid of showing any kind of uniqueness/character say.
>hurr how is this broken civic good
DONE
WELL

>the whole culture
it's not one culture at all, it's very regionally, socially, or even racially fragmented. but as much as people want to whine about it, that kind of thing leads to a diverse industry instead of globalized grey blob cars.

What the hell is optic tuning?

Also, I have never seen a REAL car in REAL life with mods that are "done well" or tastefully. But it could just be where I live

its a legitimately stupid hobby

Are, you, by the chance, calling anyone who doesn't share your taste as "tasteless"?

I know truck drivers who spend major money to buy chrome for their fucking work rigs. I thought it was retarded, until other truckers started saying how nice it looked.

Cars are not for everyone. I was talking to my pop about challengers and sports cars. He couldn't wrap his head around why someone would buy a car because they liked how it looked, or how fast it could go. A car was just something that moves you around, after all.

I talk to a fellow car enthusiast at work (railroader here) and we talked for an hour about the 2013 daytona during lunch.

If you like modding your car, most people will not care. They will think you're an asshole if you speed. They think your loud engine is annoying and that you're compensating for something. Other people who like cars and like modding will like what you've done most likely though.

Nobody here goes to the track

i think "oem+" type modding is cool and doesn't cost too much money

engine swaps and over fenders is pretty dumb unless you really love your car THAT much

I dont know where "here" is for you.(where are you)

But here in Connecticut we have a few drag strips as well as a few circuits.

some people who can afford it track their car and some people don't actually like cars but like the attention they garner i.e. stance faggots

you sound like you don't know what you are talking about.

over fenders or fender flares are to fit bigger tires and USUALLY you should be fitting bigger tires and if you are running serious horsepower.

Yeah, you probably don't notice. Things like small front lips, tastefully sized wheels and tires with good color on them.

muh no true scotsman

car mods are fun for itself, it's a project. you don't need to create a purpose for it, simply realizing the project is fun enough.

also, i don't think there is any practical reason to - for example - slam your car as low as people often do. lowering your car super low might prove useful if you have really good tyres, serious racing slicks, perfect track, and even then it's not logical to slam it this low. It's all about the looks.

where the fuck do you live and what kind of cars do YOU like.

also what kind of cars do you see in your area?

I meant here, on Veeky Forums.

>is it stupid or is it a legitimate hobby?
it's both

>obscura

>technical death metal band

Not to mention the spike in your homeowners insurance rates.

It's as legitimate as you decide it to be.

Modding cars as an engineering discipline is hard. It's so, so hard to do things right. But fuck me is it rewarding when everything works as it should.

you fucking piece of ricer shit.

stop over exaggerate how much tire is needed for peoples cars

9/10 times someone puts overfenders on a street car it's for looks

>putting a swimming pool in your back yard raises the value of your home
Not always. Many times it lowers the value of the home. That's because a pool must be kept full of water or it can develop cracks as the empty pool structure has sections rise up out of the ground over time. Without water in it, after a good rain, the empty hole in the ground is very similar to an air bubble floating in a thick slurry. It will rise upwards.

That's a good point. I probably see sleepers all the time and not know it

>USUALLY you should be fitting bigger tires and if you are running serious horsepower.

Cut out your melodrama, you little girl. 330hp is a far cry from "serious horsepower"

There's legit elements and stupid elements. You can argue that hardparkers' done-up cars at least perform if you put them on the track, and dedicated track cars are obviously for the owner's enjoyment. Classics (restored or resto-modded) look cool and might be fun to drive too.

Stance and its subcultures (bozushitty vippovapes, shittycans, etc.) is just stupid. Lowriders is just stance for boomer and cholos, but it's still a step up from vape'n'scrape.

>car-modding culture

what? who just buys a car and leaves it alone?

or do mean those people who just do cosmetic changes?

optic tuning is when you tune your windshield for optimal focus and clarity

look up the "crystal mod", "bi-focal mod", and "adjustable parallax mod".

im saving up for the thermal/NVG mod

this is running 205 and 195.

so, what kind of event happens today?

>Everything needs a purpose

Go fucking neck yourself then.

You drive the riced out lancer
LOL

Guaranteed you've never tracked a car

>things your contractor will tell you

Reality is pools cost money to keep up, most people don't use them very often, and consequently don't add any value to your home.

The only thing that a pool does for you is make your home easier to sell to someone who wants the burden of maintaining a pool.

Pools are a meme. My kid wants to swim, he's going to have to make friends with some kid whose family has a pool.

That's a good looking Honda. Glad someone in the Honda community has decent taste.