So i've grinded reverse gear about a dozen or so times in the time i've owned it...

so i've grinded reverse gear about a dozen or so times in the time i've owned it, mostly by trying to select reverse while the car was rolling. how much damage have i done to the car?

Permanent damage.

shits entirely fucked

are you guys joking? cause i don't want to re-build the box after just buying it.

well maybe you should learn how to fucking drive retard.

Subarus are notorious for being shit to put into reverse, even while stationary. Try putting it into 4th then back into reverse, or neutral then clutch out and back in. Mine grinds occasionally for some reason too even stationary, foot on the brake. No problems yet, on a 19 year old transmission.

it still slots into reverse just fine, at least from when i first bought the car. it doesn't crunch or grind when i put it into reverse while stationary. although its a bit notchy when i slot it in from neutral.

I wouldn't worry about it.
I came straight from auto and my reverse is easy to select too so I've ground it plenty of times.
It doesn't do much but scary noise and make you feel like a piece of shit.
Just be more gentle.

thank fuck. i'm in a very similar situation to you. i just came from a slush box auto to a manual. and when i'm tired or just not really concentrating i'll put it into reverse while the car is still moving. still trying to get the hang of things.

my reverse is easy to select when you want first and first is not syncrod so its even more easy to miss.
I had hand surgery so each gear change was like trying to lift an engine from car using just your pinkies and the reverse was worse.
After that It's easier.
So get hand surgery. You won't be able to open doors for a week but after that you'll shift smoother.

Nigger try driving a mk2 golf, reverse is right beside 1st gear and they're about 1 nanometer apart. Took me a couple weeks until I wasn't scared I'd end up launching backwards into the person behind me at every stop light, luckily I never did.
Oh, pro tip, don't put in first gear while you're moving unless you have to. Try and come to a stop first. Otherwise use second.

I know someone who leased a new subaru and needed a new transmission and clutch by 30,000 miles probably from launching it all the time. The tech who worked on it said it was abused. Change your transmission fluid there might be metal parts working there way around your transmission.

reverse gears don't have synchros.
You should never shift into reverse if your car is still rolling.
Completely stop your car.
Clutch in and keep your foot down 2-3 seconds.
Then shift.

I grind my gears like everyday. Sometimes my clutch foot gets sore and I don't know how far I've pushed it.

There's some resistance now while getting into the gears but it's otherwise fine.

>don't put in first gear while you're moving unless you have to
there is no reason to follow this advice if you are properly rev matching your downshifts. (you should be)

>OP just started driving manual
>Expecting him to meme-match
He doesn't even know how to put his car in reverse yet, cool your autism.

Had a 98 Cherokee for 2.5 years. Reverse gear shrieked like a rabbit every time.

did you not read the stuff in parenthesis? don't give the guy shit advice, you're literally hiding information from him because you think he's too shit of a driver to use it. just because it took you 10 years to learn how to drive manual properly doesn't mean it's gonna be the same for him, retard.

>meme-match
were you born stupid or did it take a long time to get where you are?

I told you to cool your autism, instead you cranked that shit to 11

>driving, exhausted
>3rd, 4th, 5t....chgrrrrrzzzzchhhh oops that was reverses at 60km/h

>brother has a house, with this steep driveway.
>start car, release parking brake, start rolling backwards with clutch down
>when getting close to the end of the driveway, try to get into reverse at 5km/h
>this grinds my gears

ITT: silly fucks arguing over who is the least skilled

Some cars don't, some cars do.

I had a Toyota Matrix that would grind going into reverse if you were moving at all, or even if you had come to a stop recently and tried to shift into reverse too quickly. You had to come to a full stop, wait a second, then go into reverse to keep it from grinding.

Also had a Chevy Cavalier, which apparently had a synchronized reverse gear, as I could go right into reverse while still rolling forward at 5 MPH and have no grinding at all.

Current car, a Ford Fiesta, apparently also has a synchronized reverse gear, or at least a better designed one. I can pop back and forth between reverse and 1st at will, while moving in either direction at low speeds, and have no grinding at all.

In short, cheap, shitty cars have a tendency to grind reverse while moving. Don't buy cheap, shitty cars and you won't have a problem.

I've had my first manual car for less than a month now and I know how to rev match and heel toe.
Heck, I double clutch every downshift.

True.
Not too much.
You're grinding down the syncro, so it's permanent damage, but syncros are replaceable and is there to prevent the gears from taking the damage.

Sucks to have a vehicle that you need to double clutch.
Is it a 1940s car?