Post-Military IT Employment

Does anyone here have some insight, or even general advice into transitioning to civilian employment after the military, specifically federal GS jobs?

Some background:
>Separate in 2 years
>Will have 4 years experience in an enterprise-level network ops center
>With any luck will have CCNP completed
>Should have 3/4 of my degree completed

I'm thinking about this far out, so I can be well prepared when the time comes. Should I try to jump right into the job market, or should I take a year and use the GI Bill to go to school?
Any advice about IT, GS jobs, contracting, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

>enlisting
You might as well kill yourself now

Yeah getting college paid for is pretty bad desu.

A lot of companies have very large quantities of veteran employees. There are also a bunch of military head hunters who can put you into some nice positions and really help you figure out where your skills can take you.

You can do that as an officer too retard

>Officer
No thank you. You become an officer one of three ways:
>AF Academy
>Your life fucking sucks for the first 2 years and only kind of sucks for the second 2
>Incur a 6 year ADSC, with 4 years of Academy, 10 year total time commitment

>ROTC
>Go to college on your own dime, try to pick up a contract + get a decent AFSC while balancing college life with ROTC shit
>Incur an ADSC, 8+ years total time

>OTS
>Get a degree on your own dime, 50/50 shot of actually getting an OTS slot, endure 3 months of ass
>Incur 4 year ADSC (not as big of a time sink)

Also, officers do very little hands on technical work and mostly write policy/make decisions.

lol joining as officer to pay for college. it's like a catch 22. I can tell you haven't been in the military.

Go get a job, and try to find a way to do school while you work

They have loan forgiveness, still paying for college but indirectly.

Treasure your Top Secret clearance. It's your key.

If you think you can handle full time schooling while working, do it.

t.former GS

I'm fine with doing part time school, any particular place to find the GS jobs, besides good ol networking?

>I'm fine with doing part time school

I said "full time" because you have to work full time to get the full Monthly Housing Allowance (BAH) from the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

GS jobs can only be had through USAjobs.gov. Don;t limit yourself to GS.

Other agencies and positions use alternative pay schedules. Some notable examples include the Federal Wage System, the Foreign Service, and the Senior Executive Service.

Federal Wage System (FWS). The Federal Wage System is the pay plan for blue-collar workers, who are usually paid by the hour. It ensures that salaries for wage laborers align with that of similar jobs in the private sector.
Foreign Service. Foreign Service Officers in the Department of State, Commerce, or Agriculture use the Foreign Service pay plan. It features 9 pay grades, from FS-09, the lowest level, to FS-01, the highest level. There are also 14 steps within each grade.
Senior Executive Service (SES). The Senior Executive Service uses a gradeless pay system in which salary is based on individual performance. Basic pay ranges from $120,000 to $165,000, and members of the SES cannot receive locality pay.
Some agencies, such as the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Reserve System, and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, have their own unique pay plans.

Many alternative pay schedules are pay banded systems, which combine some of the grades from the GS scale into a wider cluster, or “band,” of grades. Instead of 15 different grades, there are only a few salary ranges in a pay banded system. Moving across pay bands is usually based on a “pay for performance” model, in which promotions are closely tied to your supervisor’s appraisal of your work.

The CIA also has its own pay schedule (non-GS) and the best pension in the Federal government.

You should really be honest with yourself: do you intend to be a lazy sterotypical government wmployee? If so, GS is for you. You get raises, or "step increases", for just breathing.

If you're a go-getter that's a hard worker, good at office politics, and strive for advancement, then pay band systems are better.

If you do good at a GS job, you are paid the same as the lazy slob that does barely enough to keep his job. With pay bands, you can get paid more based on merit.

But seriously, check out CIA for their pension. Also, if you get experience in financial/banking ITm you can work for the Federal Reserve (which has their own better pension system), retire and then immediately go to work for SEC or FDIC and earn ANOTHER pension, It's called "double dipping".

But if I were you I would try to get medically retired from the military. I did.

Do this: Buy and read the book "Fake Disability" from Amazon. Just do it. It will show you how you can get thousands tax free from the VA or military.

Then retain military disability attorney John B. Gately. He will cost $7K but he will get you medically retired and you will make that $7K back in less than a year of VA disability/retirement payments.

Right, if I was going to go to school full time, I'd work part time.

I'd like a job where I can work my 40 hours a week, and then go home and not worry about it. Office politics and the like really exhaust me.

How long do I have to serve to get medically retired? I'd rather not stick around any longer than I have to, but if there's a surefire way to get medically retired, I'm game.

Thanks a lot, btw.

An officer already has a degree you stupid fuck.

>Right, if I was going to go to school full time, I'd work part time.

Just letting you know that if you take units 6 through 11, the BAH will be pro-rated. If under 6 units you get NOTHING.

>I'd like a job where I can work my 40 hours a week, and then go home and not worry about it. Office politics and the like really exhaust me.
It looks like a pay band isn't for you. That's OK since most of the Federal government isn't in a pay band.

>How long do I have to serve to get medically retired?
No minimum requirement. There's been guys injured in basic training that have been medically retired. I was retired at my 3 year mark. It took about a year and a half from start to finish. If you are undergoing an MEB and your enlistment expires, they will keep you on until it does finish.

What are your illnesses and injuries, OP?

Also, go buy the book. No, I don't get money from from the book it but no other book will open your eyes to VA money than Fake Disability

I get some serious shin pain from running... also have a pre-existing skin condition.

>I get some serious shin pain from running
Go to the doctors and get a profile.

>also have a pre-existing skin condition.
Got to the doctor and don't admit to hiding anything, if you did.

OK, I've got a PT test coming up, so I'll go after that. That way it won't look like I'm just trying to get out of my PT test (which happens a lot).
After I pass, I'll go and tell them that my legs have been bothering me since the test, which in all honesty will be true.

I assume that by going to the doc for this stuff, it builds a paper trail of service-related evidence? Feels kinda scummy, but hey, if it's free money..

>That way it won't look like I'm just trying to get out of my PT test

Wrong attitude. To get medically retired you have to be declared "unfit". If you can't do a PT test are you unfit. See what I'm getting at?
Also, stop caring what others think. People thought I was a pussy for being on a profile and always going to sick call but now they are working at Pizza Hut and I'm chilling with my retiree ID card and 80% VA disability ($1550 a month, tax free).

>I assume that by going to the doc for this stuff, it builds a paper trail of service-related evidence?

Yes.

>Feels kinda scummy, but hey, if it's free money..

It's not scummy if you actually have problems.

I'd be happy if they didn't feel the need to make a fucking network engineer waste his time practicing for some arbitrary PT standards.

Might as well get some money out of the deal. What's some stuff that pays well for an otherwise healthy guy?

Just read the book. It will tell you everything you need to know.