Not buying everything on credit on a rewards card and paying it off directly

>not buying everything on credit on a rewards card and paying it off directly

Are you retarded if you're not doing this?

>usually get fat bonuses every year
>just flew to Japan and back for £90 total after redeeming Avios points from Amex rewards
>free lounge access at airports
>free purchase protection against theft/loss/damage/dodgy seller

There is literally NO reason not to use credit cards for everything, as long as you're not a moron and get into debt

I don't know how

I live in Canada and use a shitty card with no rewards but also no fees.

Credit cards only have fees if you don't pay your bill in full retard

Some of them have yearly fees.

Done that for ages. The only thing I do not pay with a cash back rewards card is my utility bills because they only allow bank debits.

I got $200 cash back on all the stuff I bought around black Friday. Best part: I bought about .25 BTC in mid-December and sold at 1050 so I ended up with about $350 after fees. All literally free money.

In the US there is a company called Plastiq that you can pay on credit, and they send you it back as a cheque or bank transfer. Obviously there is a fee (2.5%!), BUT, if you want to hit purchase bonuses, I think it might be worth it when paying things like rent or bills.

>Are you retarded if you're not doing this?
Not really, it's just a decision. You pay for the various boni with your data. I realize it costs me money, but I don't use any credit cards or loyalty cards. I don't want my purchase history stored on a corporate server and receive endless customized spam.

It's hardly fair because my purchases should be cheaper (since paying in cash I spare the merchant a bunch of fees and I'm usually faster during check-out), but I'm still willing to take that trade-off.

What about gas though? Credit price is almost always higher when paying with credit card.

I thought about paying my rent on credit through venmo, but they charge you 3%, which is like $36 a month for me.

Fuck that, I'd rather buy dinner for three nights. Amex points are worth $0.006 cents each and I get one point per dollar.

Theres only one station that gives a cash discount here, and its 2 towns over

>amex
find me a retailer who actually accepts that shit

Amazon, Walmart, Sam's Club, Best Buy, Home Depot, Sears, Jet, Kroger

well shit i guess i never noticed because the only places i want to buy stuff from always seem to have no amex signs

good to know amazon accepts it.

would never spend money at best buy (they charge 10% over retail MSRP on everything)

also i use visa rewards cards like capital one with good results

yup like the charge card pictured in the OP for example which has a yearly fee of around £100-ish

>It's hardly fair because my purchases should be cheaper (since paying in cash I spare the merchant a bunch of fees and I'm usually faster during check-out), but I'm still willing to take that trade-off.

nah handling cash has its own costs and I don't see how you can be faster... you've got to faff about puting notes into the machine whereas others just tap the card or their phone on the reader

I'm really surprised by how many places take it these days, found out recently that even the mom and pop burger joint near my place takes it now.

I have a couple of Amex card. My blue cash card alone paid me $750 to use it. 0 intrest paid just the $95 yearly fee.

>I got $200 cash back on all the stuff I bought around black Friday.

you bought 20k worth of shit on black friday?

I live in a country that is usually one of the top two developed countries when it comes to % of people paying in cash. Every cashier is used to it and handles it very quickly. As I buy stuff I mentally keep track and have the money counted when it's my turn. It's a 4 second exchange, and that's only if I get change back.

I've never seen a debit card beat that. Get the reader ready, put the card in the reader, wait several seconds to connect, put in your pin, wait several seconds more to authenticate, etc. It's just a huge hassle even if it works first try (which is far from guaranteed). Granted, we've only rolled out NFC payments less than 2 years ago and it's still far from accepted everywhere. And what the fuck are you buying? We have limits of 25 bucks for NFC transactions or you have to enter your PIN (which you have to do every 5 times anyway). It's useless in my opinion. Small transactions are usually handled in cash anyway and I can't use it for large transactions when a card would be useful. In my opinion it just adds another layer of risk, because people can remotely read-out my account information (when I got a new card I checked it with an NFC app) and when my card gets stolen they can get 125 bucks out of it without authentification. Fuck that shit!

sucks you cant pay rent with credit or if you can they charge extra

I don't know why but this had me laughing my ass off

>mfw I learned about credit card only a few months ago, since we only have debit card here and I thought they were the same thing.
>mfw American LITERALLY have a card to borrow more money to be even more endeared without having to see an actual banker
>mfw I have no face

the borrowing aspect is actually just a meme.
you should never spend a dime on cc that you don't have already.

if you are not a moron you have 3-6 months of living expenses on a checking account so this entire cc business is just redundant.

if your country has low cc penetration that means you should definitely go for it for the rewards, but after a while cc becomes a nuisance. because they give you 1-3% rewards after a purchase but the vendor pays 3-6% to the card company and banks involved, which will raise his prices by 5% for accepting said cards. you end up paying 2% more if everyone uses cc.

anyone else carry this rock?

CC are meant to be a good way to build up personal credit history (and reap rewards), any other use of a personal CC is stupid and will leave you in debt.

>CC are meant to be a good way to build up personal credit history
there is no such thing here btw. we have blacklist for bad debtors but no scoring system, only rewards.

Still gives you a good reputation for loans when they run a financial background check

well what i can tell from the application process questions and talking to the clerks, they only care about what is your salary, what is your total debt and total cc limit. there is no real unique arbitration, they have a simple formula to assess the risks based on these parameters they the end result is the line of credit the bank is willing to give you on top of the existing.

which means if i want to apply for an other cc they will see my current one and will decrease the limit they are willing to give me by the existing limits. simple as that.

they also ask questions like how much is your rent and other base living costs. they know the averages if you say less they won't believe you if you say more they again reduce the line of credit. they usually give you something like this:

(monthly wage - expenses and known liabilities) * 3

I don't have a credit card.

When do you pay it off? (at the end of the month?)
Is it possible to do this automatically, so you don't forget it and pay fees?

me

yeah but i found that it's only possible on cards with shit or no rewards. at least in the local selection.
what is possible on every card to automatically deposit the minimum payment required, but you don't want that that means rolling a balance and paying out your ass.

Yeah, knowing myself, I would forget to pay it off anyway so I think for me personally, staying away from CC's is the better option.

i was like that you know forgetting everything everybody said i shouldn't do it. i have my card for 7 months now you have a whooping 15 days to make payment i never forgot once.

the thing is if you use it regularly you will be reminded to settle the balance. also it's not more difficult to keep in mind how much you charged to your cc than how much cash is left in your drawer.

Stop using shitty cards. All my cards have autopay for the entire balance.

like i said different markets different offers.
here you won't find a card with cashback and auto settle.

Japan or Germany?

Austria

your country was a huge disappointment you have no idea how to make a decent cake or coffee, you don't know what personal space is and fucking turks are everywhere.