Just watched a boomer and apprentice fight over this, so 6 or 12 point? Fight. I'm bored...

Just watched a boomer and apprentice fight over this, so 6 or 12 point? Fight. I'm bored. 12 point for 12 point heads only master race.

i like 6s because they are much less likely to strip off

i like 12s because they are easier to get on if you cant see/get to the bolt/nut easily

Depends on the nut/bolt. Duhhhhh.

/Thread.

I like spanner wrenches

What he said.

But in my box I have 12 and 6 point deep/shallow impact/chrome of pretty much everything just because you never know what you'll run into.

Whatever tool works for the job. There is no set "you have to use x for y" unless you're talking driveshaft u joint straps. (Usually 12 pt)

6's
>no real chance of rounding the head
>more grip
>still easy to fit on
>stronger

Can't use a 6 point on a 12 point head... Proper tool for the job.

Use 6 point socket on 6 point bolt head.

Use 12 point socket on a 12 point bolt head. However, you may be able to use a 12 point socket on a 6 point bolt if it is a low torque application. High torque will risk skipping and stripping the bolt head.

If you need to use a 12 point bolt on a 6 point due to limited space/range, then you need a better ratchet with more teeth ( degrees of movement.)

this, it's especially true in super low clearance situations where you can barely get 12 degrees of swing on a wrench

6 for stuff that needs to tighten like fuck and also are in locations where it is exposed to water, heat or similar

12 for low-torque applications and non-exposed stuff

I have both and use them accordingly

There's always people posting about how they rounded off the nut or head of the bolt they were trying to remove. They were probably using a 12-point socket on a hex nut or bolt.

That's the problem with people who buy those cheap socket sets. They mix their sockets around and end up sorting by size instead of taking more time to make sure the 6 and 12 point sockets are all separate. Thus, they end up reaching for whatever socket fits snugly on the nut whether it is 12 or 6 point.

The opposite of what the boomer said is the right one

Why in the FUCK would you use a 12 point socket for anything other than 12 point bolts?

I've found 12point can be used on 6 point bolts even in high torque as long as the bolt head is fairly tall. Like with drain plugs that have short heads you have to use 6 point usually.

No the thread isn't important only the head.

If I know the bolt/nut is super tight or requires torquing then I will make sure I grab a 6 point. If it is just something small I'll take whatever I can find quicker.

yeah, you think you're in a bind when you can't turn a bolt with a 6 point, but when you strip the bolt with a 12 point, you're in even worse of a situation. It's better to get a bunch of weird extensions to use the 6 points

>not using the last socket you'll ever need

can I use it for a fleshlite?

>4 sizes
wow

>based on 6-point design
and we have our answer

I tend to use pic related
And I agree 12point only for 12point heads only.

i remember this shit being advertise on tv i want to get one now

12 point for rusted shit and 12 point bolts 6 point for not rusted shit

Just wirebrush it lol

It is if its a left handed thread

Use the right tool for the job, as others have said.

6-point are generally more common, so have tons of 6-points, in every size. 12 points tend to be more rare, so I buy them as I need them, which is basically never because I wrench on 40 year old German cars.

They say 12 points, using a 12 point socket is able to be torqued higher, like for racing applications....but...meh. 6 point have been around plenty long, and take plenty of torque...

>wire brush
pffft, just hammer on whatever will fit

what exactly is the point of 12 point sockets? I get 12 point wrenches, because there are more angles that you can get on the fastener head, and it's easier to turn in tight spaces. I figure that any decent ratchet would serve the same purpose, not to mention less chance of rounding off rusty fastener heads

See this.

Standard hex bolts, because otherwise you're just being a special snowflake.

>deez nutz
huehuehue take that boomer

If you have a stuck bolt or nut then 6 point all the way.