XV40 Camry Power

Hi br/o/s. I own a 2007 Camry SE with the 2GR-FE V6 engine. It currently makes 268bhp stock. What modifications, tunes, or other things can I do to it to get more out of it? Forced induction is a possibility, as I have the money to do a project like that.

Pic related engine of my car

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PToulXooRHQ
youtu.be/yRYM43rAWgc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump for interest, I have an XV50 I want to make more power from as well

Are you running the 2GR-FE as well?

It seems like you got enough power.. make it sound slick with Intake, throttle body spacer, headers, high flow cat, cat back system, make sure you have 2 sections with flex pipe on the exhaust kek,
honestly with that swap you really don't need much more power so if you feel that need you can go forced induction but as it is you probably run out of road pretty quick... look into wheels that have a lower weight than what your running, reducing rotating mass is huge. Some decent tires will also improve your experience.
Pics?

Yeah but I don't want to enhance the ricer image with exhausts and whatnot unless I have something to back it up, yknow?

I can currently get a 0-60 in 5.5 or so. Too bad there's not a TS toggle switch anywhere or I could bump that down a bit. I love this car.

TCS*

Wheels are definitely something I need new ones of. I live in Utah so I'm going to need two sets anyway but the factory rims aren't that great, though I've definitely seen worse.

As someone with 330rwhp you can always have more.

That said the v6 in the crapray is a good engine and forced Induction is the way to go

Nice-- is this a daily? Don't go too far with mods on a daily, you increase power/acceleration but decrease reliability / durability when you go too far beyond factory spec
If you are ready to go balls deep with budget you can get that 0-60 down a bit --
supercharger, ECU tune, start building the internals, just don't forget if you wreck or it's stolen your insurance company will give you blue book value

If I was you and this was my daily I would just get some of those nice weather tech rain guards that go inside the window liner, whatever level of tint is legal / won't get you harassed by LEO, and intake / ecu / tires and be done.
If you aren't relying on this vehicle to get to and from work every day, by all means go crazy with the induction / exhaust

This car is both my weekend pleasure and daily. I'm in college, and I live really close to campus so I just walk to and from my apartment. I use it to get to the grocery store and to my parents house. But on the weekends I go up the canyons and have fun. It does surprisingly well being tossed into corners. So I'm not looking to boost it into NASCAR territory, but I'd appreciate a little more power. Maybe a tune and exhaust would be the way to go. Full systems give a bit of horsepower boost don't they?

Yes a full exhaust system will make a bit of a difference-- do the intake before doing the exhaust (gotta put it in to get it out)
some people swear by just doing the cat back systems but the results won't be as noticeable compared to when you get better headers / ceramic cat

What sort of system would provide the most noticeable improvement but not be obnoxiously loud? I like a lower drone that's audible, but not 3k civic meme territory.

Headers and larger diameter piping all the way out will make the biggest difference but pair that with some quite mufflers to keep the sound down. I think borla makes some good performance mufflers that aren't too loud.

Alright I'll check those out. Thanks user

Best sounding muffler I have used was a hushpower by flowmaster
Nice note to it, makes just about any car sound good... and it's not gonna generate unwanted attention. If you drive easy it's nice and quiet -->

youtu.be/PToulXooRHQ

You will also see videos of people giving it the beans and it can sound agressive but not over the top -->

youtu.be/yRYM43rAWgc

I really like how that sounds on the Lexus but not as much on the Suzuki. I'll look into these too.

It's a Camry. It's reliable transportation.

The aftermarket doesn't support your car, and hacking up the exhaust to put a different muffler on it is going to net you negligible gains that won't even make a realistic difference. Good luck finding headers for a Camry.

Save your money. You're about to waste it.

Buy a second car that you can play with or sell it and use your savings with the money from the sale to buy a performance car if you want.

Is this the same advice you would offer OP if he were asking about a civic? It's still a non-performance oriented sedan and all you see on this entire board is people saying to get "muh 3k civic and mod it". Why is a Camry any different?

The aftermarket at least supports the Civic, so it is a pretty different situation.

Look how many headers, intake, internal engine components, etc you can buy to get more power out of a civic. Now do the same for a 2GR powered Camry.

It's sound advice. OP doesn't need to follow it, but it would be smart to do so. If you have a ton of money and the skills to fabricate a turbo kit on your own, then go for it. Make the world's fastest 2GR Camry and have fun with it. Average guy with Average college student income, it doesn't make sense, and you have very, very little to gain.

OP here. I see what you're saying. It's sound advice, but I have a decent amount of money set aside for fun and I think it would be a good way to get into mechanics even if I fuck it up.

If you've thought it over and go into it with realistic expectations, go ahead and do it. You're absolutely correct; you will learn from it. I just don't want someone spending their money thinking they will net a large power increase with simple modifications to their car when that won't be the case.
Some honest advise here, if you can find someone to tune the car for you, this will be by far the largest and most noticeable power modification you can do for the money.
Do whatever you are going to do to the intake and exhaust first, but don't expect much.
Also, careful what you do to the intake. Changes to the way air flows around the MAF sensor can have some pretty negative effects, and I can guarantee the manufacturer of a $50 ebay intake didn't do testing regarding this.

Do you have any brands you can recommend for an intake?

I was going to say str8 pipe, but you did specify not too loud or ricey.

Not him but I got results from a gifted Takeda and a JET maf that was $150. Car is a 08 Milan w/v6 if that's any help.

>weekend pleasure
>tear it up in the canyons
>toss it into corners
>2007 front-drive camry that weighs 3500 lbs

I'm the guy from earlier. I have no clue who makes a good intake for the Camry. If you can find a decent brand making one (Think along the lines of K&N), you're probably safe, since they actually have to put some R+D into their products and try to meet EPA requirements.

I have a wealth of Toyota product knowledge due to my career, but not so much in successfully making them fast. I can tell you a lot about how not to do it right, though. Ask if you have questions, I'll do my best to answer, and if nothing else I'll be honest.

I never said tear it up. A casual canyon drive up is one of, if not the most relaxing things to do in Utah on a Sunday evening.
Thank you for all your help. If I come up with further questions I'll ask them here.

>that one friend who wants to start modding his daily driver

Unless you fully commit to doing it, your car will be a joke to your peers. I believe in you, OP, make me proud.

I have no friends as it is. That's why I'm willing to dump my money into a car that I love already.
Don't want to turn this into a /r9k/ story but
>no gf
>only friends are coworkers and we aren't close
>family is unhappy with my life choices

Cars and computers for me :^)

TRD supercharger, 350 easy on stock internals

That's exactly what I had in mind but I don't know where to get one. Toyota dealership?
The Australians made a badass one of these tagged the Aurion or something and it was this engine with a nice Eaton and it was really cool. Too bad we don't get it in burger land. I'm not sure if they even made them production or if it was just concept

TRD Supercharger existed for the Aurion in OZ.
Best bet in Burgerclapistan is to find one on ebay. You'll have to find someone to do the tune for you after install.
TRD will most likely not ever release any more superchargers in the US. Toyota appears to have a strict "no fun allowed" policy here from now on.

Yeah which is really lame. I don't know how they allowed the burger division to release the Supercharger for the last gen Tacoma because they didn't do it for any other model.

They had them for the 4.0 V6 and the 5.7 V8, both manufactured by Magnuson.
Toyota/TRD has dropped both because they weren't interested in funding and participating in the EPA testing needed for each successive model year. Magnuson still sells them, though.
TRD tried to push for a Raptor killer Tundra, but Toyota didn't allow it. Too bad.