Weekend Garage Bread

What are you getting done this long weekend Veeky Forums?

Shipped out the last parts from my totaled G37 sedan. All in all, came out $2500 ahead. So I guess that's pretty good.

Coilovers should be here this week.

I have such bad luck when it comes to wrenching that I am absolutely convinced that I genetically lack the aptitude for this type of work. I spent two hours prepping (and hundreds of dollars on the right tools and replacement parts) to replace the steering head bearings in my motorcycle. I watched all the videos, printed out careful instructions, and had a laptop right next to me so I could do it flawlessly.

Well, things got hairy pretty fucking quick since removing the races is a relatively physical job. I finally got them out and scratched the shit out of my steering head column (in the frame) which people tell me is bad but I think they are just being idiots. The bearings roll against the race, not the smoothness of the frame, so that shouldn't matter. I scratched the shit out of it but I got both races out.

I go to put in the new race and I put the fucking thing in backwards.

BACKWARDS

If you know anything about races, these are an interference fit meaning they have to be hammered in with a decent amount of force. The fit is so tight and flush that the only way to get these out is using these tiny grooves the factory makes in the seat. However, when the race is reversed, you obviously can't use these grooves.

So I said fuck it. Ripped apart the whole motorcycle and parting it out.

Made new a lower interior panel for my 76' C10 passenger side door, and bedlinered the upper panel. Found a crank handle for the passenger side as well, +5 comfort for them.

Jesus user...
Wrenching is about working deliberately and carefully.

You can have all the tools and information in the world, but non of that will save you from silly mistakes.

>tfw have the new fuel filter to pop into my MKV Golf
>literally takes all of 5-10 minutes to do
>would rather sit inside and read Dune

>tfw also bad at wrenching
I just don't get how some people know literally everything about cars and tools and stuff.

Installed new belts (Timing, power steering, and accessory)
Installed new idler pulleys, belt tensioner and water pump, as well as a new thermostat.
Replaced a few cracked coolant hoses.
Will flush cooling system after I get more coolant.
Will need to get a new alternator.

Bought a mobile home for my car

That looked like a cesium ampule from the thumbnail 2bh

I'd love to have something like that at work, my car is constantly getting covered in dust.

My brother started out this way but years of being too broke not to fix his own shit he slowly picked up skills. I'd definitely say there is such thing as having natural mechanical ability to some extent.

lexington here
where u at

(i wont autistically ask to meet up or anything, just curious)

Kek
Newport /Bellevue

Kinda. Looks more like lithium, little too dull for cesium.

Lexington here
I bet you're that faggot on campus

Yesterday I raced my $100 Grand Am in it's 3rd enduro, survived the whole race with only a few new scratches, today I replaced all the fusible links in my F250 with an actual fusebox. Tomorrow I put the Town Car back together.

nah im graduated, i work downtown

Still fixing things from last event to go to another event next weekend.
>new turbo manifold has wrong flange
>spend hours making flange adaptor that doesnt fit
>trade beat to shit S13 fenders for new turbo manifold
>studs snap off turbo trying to swap downpipes
>have to drill & tap new studs
>turbo oil feed snaps
>all parts stores closed
>contemplate welding the diff in AE86 & sending it.
gf's Supra still isn't revving past 800rpm at WOT & haven't even had a chance to look at it yet.

Brake pads, been hearing the rear ones squealing a little. Already got my first oil change done last night. Fun shit.

What's a good car to start doing endurance racing in? How much should my minimum budget be? I live in Florida if that helps any.

My personal max budget is $500. Around here there's a damn good chance your car will be scrap by the end of the night, so I won't spend any more than that. The latest car I've picked up is a nice rust free high mileage T-boned SHO for $500, on the flip side, I've raced a 84 Topaz with 405k miles on it. I'm not picky about my junk.

I actually came in 10th on the last race with the Grand Am and won $50 bucks.

I ordered a $1000 worth of parts for my project car. :( Why are cars so expensive.

Still need like $3k more plus a $2k welder to get it fixed.

It is still repairable. Will just require you to probably dremel it out. Just go slow. A lot better than parting out a whole bike. I would say assuming it was in good condition. Unless if you are that arsed and never want to wrench again.

Has Royal purple actually had any of their products API tested yet?
I understand they may not be as big a blender as Mobil, Amsoil et al, but still.

Changing the oil in my truck. First time doing it on an engine with a flat tappet cam and worried about the zinc content. I'm using Shell Rotella T4, but I've got mixed comments about whether it has ZDDP in it or not.

Should I add zinc additive to it anyways? Is there a such thing as too much ZDDP?

This and redid my whole suspension on my AE86

I have no idea but it feels pretty damn good in my MT82 so far. Still debating if I want to replace the whole shifter unit or not.

What car and why do you think you need such an expensive welder?

we live in the same area user

Holy shit is there anything for the pads to actually grab on to? Jeeeeesssuuuus.

Woah, I've seen cars around that I'm like "no way that isn't some Veeky Forums fag".

You better not be that white straight piped RX-8

feel pretty productive.

>new sticky tires mounted by friend
>tie rod issue fixed
>installed hawk pads on the front
>all for track prep
>car meet
>patched my dd tire (rip)
>fixed gf's squeaky alternator belt

Only thing I didn't get to do that I kinda wanted to do was check my a/c system for leaks with UV stuff. Would be cool to have a/c for track down times since PO put some decent effort into converting it to r134a. I used to use it all the time after only a recharge. slow leak i guess

>patched
plug that shit my dude

Patch is superior to plug. Patch is the correct fix, a plug is temporary until you can patch it.

i once plugged a tire and then took the wheel to a shop to have them patch it. they refused to patch it because it was plugged. liability reasons bla bla bla. it was a goodyear franchise so they may be blocked by their overlords. maybe a mom and pop place would do it. just fyi.

>¿por que no los dos?

I commute to richmond and I basically live in Nicholasville, so I doubt you'll ever see me :^)

Kentucky Veeky Forums meet when

Tuning this thing up this tonight, them taking a drive out to the boonies to go night fishing.

I changed my oil and then jerked off.

What do I win?

I suppose you mean the weekend that has been?

Made a toolbox/utility box for my truck, repainted my wheels, did an interior cleanup, modified the wheel centre cups so that they'd fit the front axle aswell

Fixed driver rear brake noise. Shroud rubbing on rotor. Pic related, my 84.

That's pretty good, is it fitted?

Aye. I could've gotten a cheap aluminium box for like half the price of what the work and materials cost me, but I wanted one that was more sturdy, home built and also made use of the space available

Warning; image is a tad big

All its missing now is a gas spring so that the lid stays open, and one of these lights that I'll strap in and angle in such a way that it can illuminate the inside of the box if needed, aswell as being easily removed to be used

I filled it up with gas and cigarettes

Fixed passenger door handle today (nut holding it to the door was loose for some reason). I can get the door card off in 5 min now, must have done that shit like 20 times already.
Which is good, because I also noticed one of the bowden housings was broken, causing the window to go up slower so i'll have to take care of that next.

What I also did, to no avail, was replace a bunch of capacitors in the traction control ECU of my car. It's having trouble holding its idle speed under load and the only thing I haven't replaced so far is that ECU (which is basically impossible to find).
It sorta feels like the output stage driving the throttle body motor is "slow to react". Maybe one of the MOSFETS is bad. Gonna replace those next.

Even if I have to replace every fucking part on the PCB I'm going to fix this shit without removing the traction control system.

I work holidays and weekends but next time I have a few days off I need to do an oil change and it's probably time for a spark plug change.

Apparently plug #6 on VG33Es are a major bitch so I will probably need an entire day.

/ccg/ is dead right now, so I'll post here.

on the pan
>body-pan seal on
>pedals on
>engine on
>hooked up stuff to the engine

on the body (under the tarp in the background)
>put in the engine bay seals
>pulled off the heater pipes

>"sweet, a three day weekend! I could get a ton of work done on my proj--"
>new part doesn't fit or work
>no progress for another weekend

Good job

Did the m50 manifold swap on the z3

All back together and smooth idle thankfully,
But pic related giving me a little fuel fountain.
Must have been damaged when pulled out, new o rings in the week.
Can't wait to drive

What series is this user? I would like to do something similar

Your wife lets you race cars for a living?

How many cars/bikes do you have?

In what condition were your races? I mean I know that its your motorcycle and you want to do it right but when I rebuild wheel hubs for go karts. If the races are in great shape, I leave them. Pack new bearings with grease and put them back out. If I absolutely have to then Ill put a bead of weld around the race and wait for them to fall out or tap them with a punch tool. That just adds much more time.
TL;DR Why did you replace your races? Just curious?

Nice! Looks good

Prolly never

Gonna install coilovers on a Tc, then waiting for a pair of fresh tyres to arrive

just going to compound my car, trying to get rid of those spiderwebs

I rebuilt the 34PICT-3 carb on a sandrail and did an axle swap on an '05 Dakota

Nothing on my own shit 'cause I ain't got time fo' that.

Better polish that shit nigger.

2 step or no step