How fucked am I?

How fucked am I?
I'm a poor highschool student who can't afford a new car at the current moment (I work at McDonald's to give you an idea) and can't buy another car at the moment. I did a 180° when I drove too close to the edge of the road over/went over a shady wet spot, and hit a mailbox.

just beat it out with a hammer or something.
or drive it as is. you know you arent required to fix things right.

also you were pretending you were in an anime stop lying

1989 Mazda 323 Hatchback 1.6L 5 speed. I love this car.

>I did a 180° when I drove too close to the edge of the road over/went over a shady wet spot, and hit a mailbox.

>racing seat

It's most likely totalled, but if it drives fine then just drive it while you save up for something else.

Racing cover came with it. The seat's side is pretty fucked.

this

It is legally totalled. I need to have an inspection this coming month, but I know a guy who knows a guy. How hard is it to fix chassis dents? I do realize this is structural damage.

bro, I'm not hating or anything, but your car is the literal definition of a shitbox

You're done in like two weeks who cares.

Done with what? I need a car, and I'm not in any position to buy another one.

He works at mcdonalds, he isn't saving up for anything except a bus pass

Chain that spot to the same mailbox and spin the other way

I got the car as a hand-me-down. I love the car for what it is. There was the one top gear episode where they drove American vehicles around, and at the end where they said they loved their cars? That's the same way I feel about mine. Not because it's a great car. Not because it's fast, or because it looks cool. Because it works. It hasn't failed for so many years. I'm the third owner of it, and I've known how this car has been treated for the last 8 years. I've grown attached.
And plus, I can't afford anything else at the moment.

There's plenty on Craigslist that runs and drives for under $500. Sort by manual transmission and set the max price to $500. There'll be at least SOMETHING.

I live in rural Missouri. No buses anywhere near me.

The question is, is it worth it? Will a 500$ car get me any further than this one will? I realize I can't legally pass this car for the next inspection, but if I manage to find a door at a junkyard for 50$, my only problem is the hole between the door and the chassis, at least that's what I think.

Only stuff I'm finding in my area on Craigslist for that low are vehicles that have blown engines/transmissions/are already totalled.

the unibody is clearly fucked m8

I see that. It still drives though. I'm going to measure wheel distances tomorrow. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to make it look more normal again.

Find a $50 junkyard door, hammer out the dent as much as you can, and fiberglass and rattlecan red the remainder so it seals. The entire thing should cost less than $75. Then just drive it into the grand saving up for a $2000 shitbox. You're done school soon, so just work full time for the summer and you should be able to get something nice and still have tons of cash (for a highschool student) in the bank by Septmber for weekends and shit through the year.

dat lean lmao

at least if you get some whore a ride she'll be closer to you.

Sounds like a plan. The hardest part will be finding the door, due to the age and type (Mazda in my area? Hah).
I was already planning on working for most of the summer, so I guess that's what I'll do.
What's the worst case scenario, in the sense of safety, it being structural damage?

Makes putting it into reverse almost impossible.

>went over a shady wet spot
Isn't this the goal of a High School male? Success.

Not while going 70mph.
And yes, I was stupid and foolish to be speeding, it was my fault, etc etc. I learned what I need to: car crashes are pretty fucking awesome. So long as you're not in your own car.

Your alignment, desu. The car is already a tin can, so any crash safety concerns are practically laughable. The biggest concern is making sure it drives straight and stops straight so that you are less likely to get in a crash in the first place. If you say it drives well still, then just do what I said above and don't wipe out into a tree at 100mph until you get something better. Even a $2000 car is most likely going to kill you in that scenario though, so really just git gud at defensive driving.

Door works right? Just keep driving it. I wouldn't even bother fixing it. Just work towards that next car. I've seen far worse on the road.

Fair enough. I was more concerned about something bad happening, like the car warping or something. I'm probably just overthinking it.
The door has to be pushed open from the inside, and I'm not 100% sure if the locking mechanism on the door itself still works properly (I haven't been able to open it from the outside) the passenger seat also kind of interferes with shifting (it's almost completely in the way of reverse) and there is about a 1.5 inch Gap between the bottom of the door and the chassis.
Though yea, working towards a new car is now my goal.

If shit's absolutely fucked, part it out and sell everything on eBay. Then sell the chassis to a junkyard or something. Then use the money to buy yourself the same car on Craigslist or something and rinse/repeat.

why the fuck would you try drifting in this thing?

your going to need this and a lot of bondo

I had no intensions on drifting. I was trying to get to work. So I could make money. So I can get a better car.

Look how that worked out lol

Just park two tires on the damaged side next to the concrete dividing blocks used in a parking lot. Have you buddy with a truck chain up and (gently) yank it in 4L.

my Cobalt got hit like that at around 25k. bought it for pennies on the dollar and it has ~180k on it now. Fixed same way and it drives fine. It's just windy a fuck because the doorframe is ruined.

So you mean like, park the side of the car up against two unmovable poles/objects, and gently pull the dent out?
How did you attach a chain or rope to the dent? That's the part I'm trying to figure out... I'd like to not have to drill holes in the bottom of the car

remove passenger seat.

no interference with reverse + weight reduction. you'll probably have to anyway if you're gonna try and hammer that shit out

o im laffin

Yeah, you're gonna have to drill holes. But then you can just weld them up or fiberglass over them.

Was planning on it, at least for the hammering bit.
What sizes holes are we talking about? And what do you recommend pulling it out with? Chain?

I like where this is going, but be warned, this is extreme ghetto repair territory
be really careful and don't overdo anything, because you can easily make it really worse

If you can't afford to insure, repair, maintain, or replace your car, then you can't afford to drive.

How are you this stupid?

>replace your car

I disagree

I'm aware.
And yea, I'll try not making it worse.

Auto parts stores usually rent out tools see if any of them have a slide hammer kit. You'll want a real heavy duty one. Then just drill holes in the rocker panel, thread some wood screws in, hook the slide hammer to the head of the wood screws, and hammer away. Look on YouTube for how to remove dents with a slide hammer if you don't get what I'm saying. Most of the vids show using a stud gun however, the wood screws is an old-school method used before stud guns were cheap.

Adding to this user, use a slide hammer with a towel, rope, or something to pull the weight. Don't want to pinch your hand in that thing.

>repair
>replace

Yeah buddy you're definitely a case of daddy's money lol. Everybody laugh at this retard with me.

>highschool

18+ kid

>Implying seniors aren't/can't be 18

I'll definitely check it out, thanks.
I see this as more of a project/learning experience at this point. Only thing I'd be losing is time, but I'd spend it learning, so not really a loss in my eyes.
Thanks to all who have helpful responses!

That is an integral part of the unibody. Your car is totaled. If you live in a shithole with safety inspections, you are fucked. The end.

If you're not insured, you better have the money to replace your car and whatever you've hit.

>implying OP isn't a retard and is a 24 year old sophomore.

Something similar happened to me with a Corsa C.
But I went through the roadside ditch and landed on the left side. Completely fucking totaled.

I live in a very lax area, inspection won't be a problem.
I hit a mailbox, and it survived with only a minor dent. I do have insurance.

1)Visit local srcap yard, Buy/Steal a door and some random moded car side skirts ,cut them to size.
2) buy a bicycle

I called every junk yard within 100 miles of me, and none of them have any Mazda 323s... :(

its not the panel it's the frame.
he's fucked. it needs to be pulled back out with another car and a chain.

I'd just drive it dented, its a shitbox anyway

it's a fwd shitbox, who fucking cares
inb4 I do, if you do you shouldn't

poor and limitied public transit? you just have to walk or bike everywhere. whether its 2 miles or 40. fuck u i guess

Just drive it as is m8

Just don't drive it like a madman (stay around 55-60 in the slow lane) and make sure it's aligned properly. If it drives fine as is, then why bother? If it really bugs you, try hammering it out or get a buddy with a truck or SUV to SLOWLY PULL it out. Problem with pulling the dent is potentially fucking it even more.

>t. Drove a smashed up 03 Impala in LA where inspections can fuck you.