/domg/ - Dominions General

Bump the damn thread edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin (NEEDS UPDATING NERDS)
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MasterTheCircle
pastebin.com/nTtgHER9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for aboleths OP

Second for gib LA C'tis advice please, summod and magic enhanced are in use.

Is the pale riders summon spell good? Or should I use manikins instead?

1. Get many D gems
2. Summon tomb wyrms
3. Bless tomb wyrms with n9b9
4. Win?

If you need cavalry riders are good. Summon archers if you have the cross path instead.

Alright, thanks.

Seventh for filename

Follow-up question though: Do I use tomb priests or kings to reanimate Wyrms?

Are Ziz good ?

Good mobile siege force if you have the paths and nothing better do summon?

11th for the memes

wtf how? 5 crits in a row?

What the hell I just noticed something. Does higher paths in magic give more research than equal amount of magic, but in separate paths? I mean it would make sense since it costs more to empower to a higher power than to a lower power, but not practically useful since the research output is not much better.

You gain +1 RP for each experience star.

There were 25 PD, but I wanted thread to move

Ah shit didn't notice that. Thanks.

Is E9 or N9 better for Ashdod if you don't take both?

They can also command more troops.

Which is handy for mages and priests with otherwise low leadership.

Nature synergises better with beserking, and i think the prot5 loses value with their units?

>giants

N9 so you can make decent SC/thugs later?

Reinvigoration is as or even more important for SCs than regeneration.

I guess making affirmative sentences with an interrogation mark at the end is a new meme ?

sure, but he's asking about a major bless. Its fine to take e4/6, but a nature bless also lets him craft nature items(such as reinvig items). Its more flexible to go n9.

It can be cost efficient to go E9 or even 10 with a good chassis.

See, regeneration costs 10 gems pre hammer for a living commander and there are a few ways of obtaining it (hydra skin armor, ring, spells etc). Reinvigoration is way harder to come by - feet slot, two misc items, a weak armor.

E10 is worth as much as an amulet of resilience plus you can stack it with other items.

While honestly N9 will be better in most cases an optimized SC bless would include very high E I think.

Adons have 3 misc slots so reinvig shouldn't be a problem for Ashdod.

Adons are trash and wont ever be real SCs, jew summons could tho. F2 Adons? HA! S2? Magic duel rip. E2 are usable but they can earthpower and thats another way you can get cheap reinvigoration.

High E bless is tailored for angels and other non E SC wannabes.

Is MAdman ever going to go?

I'm surprised it still hasn't started yet; as far as I can tell it's one of the only open games around.

theres too many meme games desu. the one nomeme game that started filled up in an hour

Noob here, is MA Eiru as shitty as it looks on the Inspector?

Yes. Abysmal win rate.

Thats fine and in general I agree, but for Ashdod, they don't natively have access to nature. Ashdod's SCs that need to be fatigue neutral can be E2 for earth power reinvig, w/e amount of fatigue you need in misc slots, and a minor earth bless is enough.

A Nature bless opens more options(including access to nature that isn't n1 indys) to the nation and is better on the sacreds troops with e9 getting diminishing returns.

I love ichtyids?

I know, its way easier to execute N9 that high E, I was just making my point for the sake of getting some discussion going.

Too many meme games killed the general I am afraid. We need normal games to keep it alive.

Alright, point made. so for the sake of discussion what nations do you think best benefit with choosing e9/10?

what are the paths on the summod abysia crossbreeding spell ?

A nation with all sacred mages (or the mage you use most in battle being sacred) and potential for SC. MA Pythium perhaps?

Hinnom with recruitable N mages and Melqarts? Berytos is also a contender what with sacred mages and summoned Melqarts.

I'll try LA Marignon

Blood and astral I'm pretty sure.

MA Agartha. Scaling E summons, sacred statues with no armor, sacred (also old and squishy) mages.

thanks

>Thaumaturgy Bonus: 20
Can I do anything cool with that site?

Cheap F/S/E/A searching, gift of reason casting, imprint souls, and raging heart.

>Cheap F/S/E/A searching
Those are 2 gems each, won't the cost just get rounded up?

Thanks for the other suggestions though.

Leprosy

How do you use Bane, Bane Lord and wraith lords?
Bane as a light thug, Bane Lord as a heavier thug and Wraith lord as the sort of thug who needs no items and doesn't care about dying as long as it's in your dominion?

Isn't TNN bad too then? They basically seem like Vanheim without Einheres, blood, or sailing.

Give them a brand and a shield? Optionally flying boots as well.

TNN kinda compensates it a little bit with A2 ethereal assassins (very powerful), and RoS ladies (without summod), but yeah, they're pretty mediocre. Also, fir bolgs don't wear helmets. That's why they don't survive MA.

>ethereal
two ages later m8

Bah, I meant glamoured, obviously.

mostly to capture-recapture provinces and semi-empty fortresses while real big armies are sieging/dancing around/battling each other.

theorically speaking your enemy can't afford to divert forces from his big army because if the big armies battle each other both players will want as many mages and good troops in there.
At most he can afford some regular boring troops, very few sacreds, a bunch of his most common recruitable mages and that's what thugs and minor SC are built for battling, in my opinion.

sometimes you notice that an heavier unit with better equipment would be able to defeat almost all the enemy could field or currently is fielding and has researched, so you can invest in more of that, but usually you aim for the cheapest you can get.

Also very low win rate so most probably yeah.

TNN has better researchers and doesn't have to buy a pony for every nerd that sits around reading books. Nature has some nice buffs and items but you are right that overall TNN is worse than Vanheim.

All other elves are worse than Vanheim.

Trying to learn MA Asphodel, but it seems like my freespawn are generated really fucking slowly.

What increases that? Spamming those centaur commanders? Having different scales? Having more candles? Does anyone have a formula for how they're generated?

Growth and candles

No I meant the differences between those 3 thugs in their usage.

C'tis can we talk in the steam chat?

Bane = don't have access to bane lord yet.

Bane Lord = basic thug for doing thug stuff

Wraith Lord = overpriced

Growth and dominion strength increases the amount of freespawn
Magic increases the quality of freespawn
Temples maybe affect freespawn in some way?

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MasterTheCircle
pastebin.com/nTtgHER9

no memes just natgen

pretty much this.

but wraith lord does basically have regen on drugs against live troops with that d3 spell that leeches around him.

Take Magic 3, Growth 3, 9 or higher Dominion. Also put down a temple in your forest province and there should be a ton of freespawn from that forest. If you need more freespawn then spam centaur commanders to reanimate more freespawn

The mating call of wild Malakals

>no memes
>elenrus still in the game

pick one.

admin said he'd delete it right before game start. Leaving it in is to stop someone who actually wants to play from picking them by mistake and then not actually being able to play

this:

What's meme about it?

Fair enough

If you shit horrors into a fight and then flee, will the horrors continue to fight the enemy?

Jesus christ AutismWars finally ended, Man won. I'd post graphs but I'm just so fatigued

Ayep

Yes.

t. Reality fucker

I didnt get to summon even one balrog.

Sorry m8, I thought volcanic eruption would make a volcano in your cap

Ah well. Next time I'll make sure to look for any crazy terrain requirements before I devote my research to something.

Do you know what Man was doing anyway? I saw tarts at the end, but that was it

I looked at one of his fights where he basically army of fogged his entire army before I had falling fires and I knew I wasn't going to be winning this one.

If a stealthy mage teleports, do they appear sneaking?

Literally need 30 seconds to test it, so go and do that, and then tell us if it's so.

TheWheelHasTurnedOnceAgain RP game has finally started!
>dat Ragha pretender name
For fuck's sake
Oh well, not as bad as that other RP game.

>no walls on the part facing water
triggered

well, it is a world in which all large bodies of water are draining away to the caves so I assume attacks by sea are unlikely

finally. ill take my turn as soon as i finish baking my pie

sorry i was 2 hours l8 m8

SO THEY SHOULD BUILD WALLS BEFORE THEY DRAIN AND BECOME LANDreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No restarts please, I have a really good starting position.

Let's kill Ragha first

Its easy - we kill the gryphon!

>Wraith Lord = overpriced
Sure, but wouldn't it be worth have have 1-2 in friendly dominions for defensive purposes?
A wraith lord can thug without items and you won't have to replace him when he dies.

Worst case scenario:
Bane Lord with Fire Brand + Vine Shield: 32 gems, gems are lost forever when he dies
Wraith lord: 40 gems, respawns upon death when in your dominion

Agreed. Buckle up, Ragha-sempai.

Shall we introduce the pretenders and play GUESS THE BLESS?

Sorry for the stale. Went out drinking last night and woke up hungover without my laptop.

Wont happen again. I apologize for going out vs playing an autistic pbem game with strangers

Loser

Here's our autistic RP pretenders.

Rex has a pretty redundant title. Let's hope he's not so one-note in the thick of it.

Macha sounds pretty grim, honestly.

I don't think Alexandra is actually very awesome at all.

Orochi over here? "The Rice God"? Really now, that's kind of a mundane title. I bet his people really love it, though.

How can Mramorus be both "The Unmoving Master" and "The Far Traveler"? Make up your mind, you fucking one-eyed freak.

Behesh's Heart over here suggests by his title that Behesh was actually heartless.

Urd's probably an okay guy. He does get the "least titles" award, though.

Grainheart sounds like a cool dude. I'd live in his nation.

Mr. Mustache will be the first to die.

Nothing I can craft yet I'm afraid. Research has been tough.

I'd like to trade gems directly.

>mfw dire potent