Future classics

The phrase gets thrown around a lot, especially online, and a lot of people think that their car will become a classic in future if it's even slightly exclusive.

However, not all cars will become classics. I think pic related will be, it's one of the brands fastest selling sports coupés since the E-Type, and they're sweet to drive. Another example is the Golf R - it's got a cult following, and I think it's more desirable than the GTI line as it stands.

What cars do you think will be future classics in your countries market?

M4 is a future classic all the way unless youre a poorfag!

Confirmed boomer car

Mk3 Focus RS
People will jump at a fast ford wich will actually still go fast like a sierra rs500

Corvette Z06

The goy himself said it.

these threads are always kinda barren, really shows that Veeky Forums doesn't know shit about cars

E90s. All of em

I posted a godamn m4!!!! How can you say that!!

>R34 GT-R the instant they're 25 years old
>S2000
>BMW 1M
>Any of the last n/a AMG's
>Any of the last n/a M cars (V8 M3, V10 M5)
>C6 S6 & RS6 (dat V10)
>Viper
>RX-8 (value can only go up)
>Kappa cars
>Manual CTS-V (especially wagons)

Only the C6 though.

Pontiac GTO
1998-2002 camaro z28
Pontiac G8
VW GTI
VW type R
WRX
factory supercharged mustangs
vettes

Also
>First gen manual Insight
>Giulia QV

>98-02 Z/28
Over the better Trans Ams from 93-97?

?

from 93-97 the trans ams had iron block LT1s, they are not capable of making the same horsepower the post 98 LS1s are

I don't even know how we're going to get classics out of modern day cars. There are so many electronics on them that it's going to be impossible to find the parts needed when something breaks 20 years from now.

Funny thing is that I have always wanted to have an E30, a 325iX specifically, so when my dad got his E90 (335i) I was excited…but since then
Well, he offers to have me drive it but I honestly would rather drive my Honda (Acura, whatever). I had to borrow it for a trip to Houston while my TL was in the shop and there wasn't a moment where I didn't miss my TL.
>preferring a Honda over an objectively superior Beemer
Is there something wrong with me, Veeky Forums?

And if I didn't like the E90, am I not gonna like the E30?

>C6 zo6
>e46 M3
>Ws6 Trans Am
>G8 Gxp
>EVO X
>1M
>Chebby SS MT
>CTSV MT
>Magnum SRT (especially 08)

Unpopular Opinion:

>New Edge Mustang
>335 e90
>Skyy/Solstice
>Eclipse/Talon/Laser
>Whale body Crown Vic

Anything
>RWD
>Manual

This ones relatively easy to image happening (at least in America). The Mustang has one of the larger followings in the car world so anything that comes out with that Horse on it is always "the next best thing" if you know what I mean.

In all honesty, even though they're underpowered by modern standards I loved the Terminators body design, it was hyper aggressive.

390 horsepower

>underpowered

By modern standards. What I mean by that is; in their current year, those numbers may have been great, and that was in a high trim Mustang at that. but technology has advanced to make it look "meh" today.

I wanna have faith that you knew what I meant. But you're making it hard

I take it you mean the last GTO, because, if you mean in General, the first two generations already are.

>By modern standards. What I mean by that is; in their current year, those numbers may have been great, and that was in a high trim Mustang at that. but technology has advanced to make it look "meh" today.

What cars of similar price to those mustangs when new are well over 400hp today that make 390hp seem "meh"?

>I take it you mean the last GTO
obviously

This looks like shit though so youre wrong and gay and dumb

>What cars of similar price to those mustangs when new are well over 400hp today that make 390hp seem "meh"?
I would like to know this too

Guaranteed.

Considering that was a cobra and would've been in the $50k range at a dealership when new, the easy answer would be a Mustang GT. The Coyote shits on the 4v 4.6s from back then for much less.

Comparatively the next Snake (2007 I think) to come out had 500hp at the crank. like I was saying before; the 390 was good in 2003, it just couldn't hold up for long.

>Considering that was a cobra and would've been in the $50k range at a dealership when new,
No, sticker was like 35k and you could get them for a little less

There are basically no cars out there today at that price that have more than 10% more power than 390hp

and the vast majority of even sports cars in the 30k-something range are well under 390hp

Ok, my answer still stands. The GT nowadays rolls out with 435 at the crank and that absolutely sexy second gen Coyote. Sticker price on it is a bit over $33k

Once again comparatively the next Snake could be had for around $40k with much better numbers

15 years later for the same price you get 10% more horsepower and less torque under the curve, quarter mile times are the same

what 40k next snake, what are you talking about

Well when you take inflation into account, $35k spent on a car in May 2002 has an equal cash value of over $47k in April 2017. Meanwhile if the equation is worked For the modern day, $35k spent on a car in 2017 has an equal cash value of over $25k back in 2002.

So, in the simplest way of saying it, adjusted for their respective years, an '03 Cobra would be a $47k car in 2017, and a '17 GT would be a $25k car in 2002. It's the same "number", but very different "prices" considering the time.

And to give insight on the last statement, I'm referring to the 2007 GT500

Everything saab

>In all honesty, even though they're underpowered by modern standards

nobody really cared about the (underrated) 390hp numbers. it's a classic because the engine block could easily handle 600+ with a swap from roots to twin screw blower or could be easily tuned up to 500 with a $200 mod.

>nobody really cared about the (underrated) 390hp numbers. it's a classic because the engine block could easily handle 600+ with a swap from roots to twin screw blower or could be easily tuned up to 500 with a $200 mod.
This

It was a 12 second car bone stock and could run low 12s with a very few mods

not many even 50k cars today are 12 second cars off the lot

Ford Ranger

I know the new ones are coming in 2 years but they won't be the same as the older ones

On the same topic, would there be any cars that you would consider to instead become "future shitboxes"? By shitbox I'm assuming that'd mean an overly abundant car with bland styling, mediocre power and handling, and most likely to have maintenance neglected.

it will just be whatever car is cheap and abundant now that will actually last long enough for people to consider it worthwhile to keep putting money into them. it's pretty much completely about reliability.

all the new camaros, all the new dodge muscle cars

Probably Civics and Corollas and Mazda3s

I bet plenty of current ones will be around in 15 years

Toyota 86. Guaranteed future classic. Cheap. Manual. RWD. Muh feelz. Everything the AE86 was.

fiesta st

seriously

These, particularly the 200 Cup and 182 Cup now the new ones are 1.6T autos.

New vehicles don't really have anything worth restoring due to their complexity and the fact that their bodies are nothing special. Classic cars are only popular because of their pre-safety regulation body styles and ease of repair.

That being said anything RWD, manual or super/turbo charged V8s will hold value.

I don't know if I'd call it a future classic, but it'll definitely be the new 240sx once used ones get cheap enough.

rx8 lol

Only if it's manual. The automatic in the 328i at least is hot garbage.

I really like the F-Type as well, and it may turn into a classic someday but that day is very very far away. You said it yourself, it's the brand's fastest selling sports coupe. That means supply is super ample

From 1961-1975 Jag made 70,000 E-Types (Series 1 2 and 3). In just four years they've produced 40,000 F-Types. At that pace and with the same time frame, the F would be double the E's numbers

I'm way more optimistic about a really neat or offbeat model with sales numbers in the toilet and got killed off early. BMW M Coupe comes to mind. And Veeky Forums likes to shit all over the new NSX but if sales continue to suck and they discontinue it I'd bet we would see them traded at $300k

Pic unrelated but neat

No love for the c5 z06?

The Mclaren 675lt. I've driven a 570s, 650, 12c and 675 and can tell you the spider 675 will be an instant classic.

Only 500 produced, insane power and handling, faster than even the 720s and generally a no-compromise race car for the road.

New 240 user

E30's are worlds apart from E90 in terms of build philosphy and quality.

And yes something is wrong with you if you prefer comfort over performance, an E30 is not going to be nearly as comfortable.

0 chance
0 chance
They won't be dirt cheap but they won't be megabucks either
These especially with the chromatic paint I can see
Not a chance
They're already commanding decent money >R34 GTR
yes
>S2000
maybe
>1m
Yes
>AMGs
no
>V engine M cars
no
>RS6
no
>Viper
First gens no, maybe for the nicer trims of later gens
>RX8
no
>Kappa cars
Maybe a top of the line GXP
>manual CTS-V wag
These are already through the roof

Bunch of repeats in the middle

>675LT spider
Retarded idea, just like the 458 SA Aperta and 16m Scud
>it's a super raw race car for the street, AND a convertible!
Obviously both brands would be stupid not to make them since these "special editions" are a huge cash cow, but nobody is going to look back and think "wow what a great idea, a less comfortable convertible that goes 10% faster."

Other classics within the next ten years:
>Porsche Boxster S (1st gen)
>Honda S2000
>Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky
>Dodge Viper (1st gen RT and GTS)
>BMW M Roadster (1st gen)
>Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am (last gen)
>Mazda RX7 FD (Supra prices soon)
>Pontiac G8 GXP
>Dodge Ram SRT-10
>Mitsu Lancer Evo 7/8
>Lexus SC430
>Audi S4 B5
>BMW M3 E46 and E36
>BMW M5 E39
>Cadillac XLR+V
>Ferrari 348

I'm sure there's more but pretty certain they'll all appreciate in value soon

This. Nobody bought them, rwd, v8, at least in america where we don't have the Holden equivalents it will be a classic

If you think people wouldn't buy a less comfortable convertible mclaren that goes 10% faster for huge bucks you don't understand expensive classic cars.

>any generation of mr2 any trim
>any 90's m3 bmw
>any generation Mitsubishi evo
>90's manual corollas once they get hard to find
>Acura integra/Honda both low trim and type r
>Honda crx
>manual honda eg hatchback
>manual Honda prelude type s
>once they get harder to find fast back Toyota celica
>older Toyota supras
>any Manual 90's small pick up trucks
I could name more but I'm at work kek

Give an example of a classic, stripped down pseudo race car for the street in which the convertible is more desirable than the coupe. Of course there really are no examples, since manufacturers in the past understood that it doesn't make sense to build something like that, but with the "limited edition" craze you have to make something different. Imagine a Superbird convertible, or a 288 GTO Spider (yes I know someone made some hideous bodykit one). It just doesn't make much sense, it's two things at odds with eachother, unless it was built from the ground up as a vert like an F50 or 918.

Have you ever heard of a mclaren? Or a mclaren monocell. The Mclaren Monocell technology employs a carbon-fibre tub around the cockpit that is extremely stiff and holds the car together well. That means you can have a spider Mclaren with literally less than 1% decrease in performance on track. Other cars need the roof as a stabilizer, this one doesn't.
Also:
This one's a hardtop.
Extra Luggage space in the back.

>Give an example of a classic, stripped down pseudo race car for the street in which the convertible is more desirable than the coupe

That's not a stipulation of the thread. The stipulation is that a car will be a classic, not the most desirable classic, and there are in fact classic convertibles that go for a fuck ton of money, but you are correct that the hard top is always more valuable (as far as I know).

The 675 won't be a classic because it's. such a low performer relative to the other McLarens, and rarely (not never, mind you) do the lower level options make there way into classic territory.

I think this all depends on the year we're talking about it taking for the car to gain "classic status." Relatively speaking, is there a 60's or older sports car from any of the exotic marquees that isn't considering a classic today?

Where did you get your numbers from? I would argue that it will be a classic because:
a) The convertible offers no drawbacks
b) This car is already selling way above standard prices.
c) It shits on everything in its price class before 2015 performance-wise. It is even faster than a p1 on the track.

mind explaining why you think e9x M3's won't be future classics?

If performance were what I primarily cared about, there wouldn't be much reason to want an E30, right? With exception to the M3, none of the stock E30 models have more than two thirds the HP and torque that my third generation TL has. (The RWD versus the FWD would be a difference, though) I highly doubt I'll be able to find an original M3; maybe a 3-series with an engine swap.

Ultimately I think my reason for not liking the E90 more than an Acura (((Honda))) is that I'm just one of those fedora-tipping, nostalgia-whoring autists who doesn't like newer cars

>Manual CTS V wagon
Fuck, don't remind me. That shit is unicorn, not future classic.They only sold a handful in Canada and if they ever show up used they're $100k

Yeah, but CLASSIC doesn't mean the best tuner or modder. The looks favour the LT1 models over the overly-aggressive LS1 bodies.

Why would you care what that idiot thinks