Ottomans discussion

Were they good? Were they bad? Did they benefit society at all?
I keep hearing my friend saying that he wishes the Ottoman empire was still a thing, all I know is that they're pretty much "old Turkey" and muslim so I'm no too stoked about them.

>thinking you'll get a halfway decent reply about Turks on Veeky Forums

wew

They didn't really do anything but conquer, and that only occurred during a string of especially excellent early rulers. Overall, net negative, and not even close to the Chinese or Romans or even Americans or British in any kind of imperial excellence.

>Were they good?
subjective term
>Were they bad?
enslaving your sons into killing machines to invade your own people is pretty diabolical, but they had a pretty nice life
>Did they benefit society at all?
They built some ebin bridges and mosques here and there but they mostly were either conquering shit or being lazy and decadent .

Their governing style was kind of idiotic. For a long time Turkish brothers and claimants would always murder each other since succession laws just made it a death game. Appointed regional rulers ,the Pashas did jack shit all lands they conquered other than sit in their palaces and smoke shisha while fucking harem concubines concubines.

>Were they good?
No
>Were they bad?
Yes
>Did they benefit society at all?
In no way did they do such a thing

t. Devout American Catholic whose ancestors fought under the Holy "remove kebab" League at Lepanto

It doesn't seem like there's much good literature about them. I can really only find Osman's Dream (which seems to get kind of middling reviews) and Ottoman Centuries.

Back across the Rio Grande

"muh hurritagge"

Maybe they will be the next meme empire after Byzantines and Mongols.

I used to be a huge Ottoboo because Muslim ( not Turk tho)but ever since playing EU4 I fucking hate them...
WAS tHERE ANY FUCKING REASON TO ATTACK PERSIA? I SPENT SO FUCKING LONG FUCK OTTOSHITS BOYFUCKER EMPIRE TIMURIDS SHOULD HAVE FUCKING ENDED U YOU ANGRY STEPPE RAPEBABIES FUCK OFF AND GO BACK TO THE BALKANS WHERE YOU BELONG

They were a meme back in the 19th century with orientalism and Turkish tobacco and fezzes

Greatest Empire known to man that shaped the Balkans and the Sultanate of Anatölia into a powerhouse from it's former decline of being a puppet state to corrupt Christians and Greek kul's.

The glorious House Osman also kept the Middle East in check by having the Rashidi's rule Arabia but then the filthy Anglo came and placed the Saud's and their Wahabi doctrines in charge, being responisble for the shape the ME is in today.

Good and bad are stupid terms when it comes to history. Their early emperors were effective but they almost immediately fell into decay because of their style on conquest. They never centralized until it was far too late

>Get beaten by Italians
Lmao. Great Empire you got there mehmet.

butthurt balkans incoming

Fredreick said that even Polish-Lithuanian CW's government was more organized than the Turks so

>wow we sure got nuked by russia :-)
>wow we sure got kicked out of the NATO :-) >wow we sure paid for shooting down the russian plane :-)
>wow ortodogs sure got "Constantinople" back:-)
>wow k*rds sure did form their own country :-) >wow manlet p*tin sure didn't pussy out against based tall man sultan erdoğan :-)
>wow kebab sure got removed :-)
>wow we sure didn't totally get away with it like we always do :-)
>wow /pol/ sure was right once again :-)

lmaoing @ ur life balkan cücks, keep sucking putin's dick and posting shitty maymays while all putin can actually do is stop buying our oranges
lmao stay mad

Middle East call them imperialist bastards
Europe calls them heathen bastards
Turkey calls them corrupt bastards

ottoman can't catch a break

Turkish rulers never even tried to be organized . They literally just sat around in nice cushy pillows smoking opium and jerk off to bellydancers in palces while their bashi bazouks just went around balkan villages forcing taxes, looting and raping.

At least thats our impression of Turkish rule in Serbia

success breeds jealousy

>Putin and Erdogan aren't the same person

lol no

>Middle East call them imperialist bastards

Only Arab nationalists call them that. Mor and more we are realizing that nationalism was a mistake and Islamic rule was the only time when the middle east had some semblance of stability and prestige

yeah but who's going to rule that Islamic kingdom is the problem.

No one wants the Turks in charge of them