Oil Changes

Say you buy full synthetic Mobil 1 High Mileage super extra duty awesome comes-with-a-complimentary-blowjob oil for an oil change. But then you also buy a cheapo STP comes-with-an-STD oil filter.

Would it make sense to just use the filter until the next oil change or would it be better to change the filter halfway through the OCI to make sure it doesn't fail and grenade your engine?

>would it be better to keep using a dirty filter or switch to a new filter?

so new meh quality filter, and good quality oil?

Just leave it but change at 3k miles. Not like your car actually is a race car

Just change your filter and oil every 5k like almost every one else running synthetic does.

No reason to over think shit sperglord.

Nigga it's a filter. Just buy it.

The filter is dirt cheap anyway.

>change oil
>drop plug in the filled pan
>mfw

How the fuck are you gonna change the filter and not the oil?

>I can't read

I'm not running nice synthetic and then going to change it that early. What are you, Jiffy Lube techs?

What I'm saying is that with nice synthetic the oil would last much longer than the not nice filter. So, that being the case, there are two options.
>run both until the next oil change and change both
or
>run the filter until its a mess, which is probably halfway in mileage before the oil needs changing, and install a new filter for the same old oil and then change both at the oil change when the oil requires changing.

Filter sits upright and is a cartridge. I can open the filter cap without draining the oil.

5k ? what kind of shitoil do you use if you use full synth 15k is alright

Option 3: go buy a decent filter.

Oh you're one of those fix it and forget it types who lets his shit rot away......

I change my shit every 3 months regardless of how many miles I'm running, becuase I can afford to do so.

>High Mileage
Don't use unless already leaking.

>I'm so poor I can't afford both oil and an oil filter every 5k miles

God damn dude. I suggest a bicycle. You don't have to do oil changes on those.

As with everything, it's better to go to the middle of the road. Go with a decent filter, and decent oil.
I just buy Bosch filters since I have a boner for germany, and either mobil1, royal purple, or redline oil. Keep in mind this is for a track car that drives to the track and back. For my daily I just go with a bosch filter, and any decent brand synthetic that's for sale. I might even go with a synth-blend if I'm tight that month.
As long as you keep your oil changes within reasonable mileage, and always change the filter you'll be fine. You can splurge for a racecar, but it won't make any real difference on your daily as long as it's not some high strung engine

That would be for the next oil change for sure, either that or cheap out and get conventional and the same cheap filter. Like user said it's not as if I have a nice car, the manual only recommends synthetic if it's below -20 degrees anyway.

Woops.

Stop using your Jiffy Lube computer for surfing the web during work, Dave.

I'll keep that in mind for next time. Mobil 1 Synth-Blend and Bosch filter for a change every 5k miles sounds reasonable for my car.

If I had a brand new Porsche 911 I wouldn't even bother with this question, I'd be getting the best of the best, but I need some peace of mind regarding oil and filters so that my current car will go the distance.

It probably isn't if you want the engine to last a very long time. It certainly isn't if your car is turbocharged.

>Don't use unless already leaking.
Why not? I just bought a car with 175000 miles, no leaks, but put high mileage Mobil 1 in because there was some in the garage.

for fucks sake a decent filter is $5 at walmart

It will swell you seals.

Hmm. I was told to use whatever the previous owner was using. I just used the Mobil because it was there and yolo.

One batch of that Mobil high mileage won't cause stuff to swell and leak when I stop using it next time, will it?

It's fine as long as you keep using High Mileage.

Slighty overkill for me.
I change oil during spring and fall (winter and summer oil).
Obviously always with a new filter.