/brit/ - Brit/o/ General

'Drag Meet IV when' edition

----

A thread for the British denizens of Veeky Forums.

Brit/o/ Garage: brit-o.co.uk/

----

Upcoming Brit/o/ Events:

Welsh Togue Run
What: Driving around in Wales I guess. Glancing fearfully over our shoulders in case Devil Will shows up.
Where: To be decided
When: June/July

Ultimate Street Car (USC)
What: A car show where loads of chavs show up and show off their Limited Edition Corsas and financed Golfs on airbags. Also drag-racing, live music, and poledancing.
Where: Santa Pod Raceway (Northamptonshire)
When: 4th-6th August 2017

----

Recent Happenings:

Drag Meet III happened, with a fairly healthy turnout of cars and autists (around 16/17 people in all; there were GIRLS too!). Fastest time of the meet was a nice guy in his M135i, which was also the fastest time ever at Shakespeare for Brit/o/, with an ET of 12.88, terminal speed of 108mph.

The guys also went out and about, with a meal at a Wagamamas, where one uncultured chav enjoyed his noodles in dishwater. Apparently there was also bullying of a french girl, and Shun got to drive a car for maybe the last time for a few years, RIP. We'll all be in autopilot Teslas and google cars by the time you see light again.

Pictorial and moving imagery will hopefully be posted in the thread soon.

----

Threads are a rarity as we mostly hang out in our own dedicated Slack chat. If you want in, just post up your email (it can be a throwaway), and you'll be invited in. We do actually discuss things of an automotive nature, don't fear. It's not all degeneracy.

Julian

how much did the triump engine build cost

Top lads

FPBP

Time slips for the bim. It was a good weekend lads, looking forward to USC.

Your all faggots

But your nice faggots. Thank you.

>12.88
That's pretty impressive for a 135i.

new car soon lads

very hyped

I am on my first car

'08 Ford fiesta zetec 1.25 ~55,000 miles

I don't know shit about cars but want to learn. What can I do to learn more? What can I fuck with or do myself?

So far, I've:

Topped up oil, brake fluid
Changed a pair of wipers
Jacked up and changed a wheel

Just bought an armrest/centre console to install today.

Literally babby's first car, help me learn more please. What else could I / should I do?

My dad owns one of these same engine but a couple years newer. He's had it for 5 years with no issues yet. In the future you could always change disk and pads yourself, along with servicing

Find a workshop/Haynes manual, it has a lot of information and pictures. Only thing after that is actually doing it, that's where most the learning will stick

As above, get the haynes manual.

Invest in one of the big 100/200 peice toolkit from halfords.
They are good quality and free replacement if you break anything.
Other bits you can pickup as you go.

The first thing I ever did was change wishbones on an e36. You will soon realise that a lot of things are just a few nuts and bolts, and as long as you take your time and are methodical it'll come easily.
For example an oil change would be a very basic procedure to start with.

I started because I couldn't trust garages and now I only take something in for a mot, and by appearing to know what you are talking about then you will get a better rapport with a garage.

Pic is my main tools

that is tool box goals right there, plenty of stuff but you can still see everything. one decent size tool box like that is more than enough for most jobs on a car

Cheers, yea just from halfords, if I had a garage I'd like a roller chest. But this is good for carrying out to the driveway. I have another box for less common bits.

Another thing is get a good jack and axle stands, you want to feel safe working underneath!
And a torque wrench for peace of mind for some jobs

Yeah I torque wrench is quite important for some jobs and it's worth having around, I like having ramps as well for jobs that don't require wheels being removed e.g an oil change

Yes, ramps are very helpful. Also for getting the whole car up and level, I drive onto the ramps then jack and stand the rear.
A long breaker bar also is essential. A lot of jobs, especially underneath, the most time consuming is removing rusty old seized bolts which require plenty of penetrating oil and lots of leverage

I'm glad you guys found a Lexus driver to lower the average IQ a couple of points

Nice that drag strips accept benefits payments though, that's generous of them

No

when do you get it m8

He should've had a K11

Fuck nightshifts

Nothing worse than working until 6am

where you work mate?