/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Classic Car General, restoration edition.

This iron block pig is getting close to being. 78 Bronco is best Bronco.

If my battery is reading 12.3 volts when off, but 16-18 when running what do I need to fix.

Ummm...voltage regulator?

That's a weird one. Never seen that before.

So just new alternator? I thought they were internally regulated

What kind of car are we talking about?

If it's your old Ford truck, it has an external regulator. It could be the alternator though, just take a multimeter and see what it's putting out before and after the regulator. That should narrow it down.

Check if the voltage increases with engine RPM

If it does you need a voltage regulator. If the alternator is internally regulated you need an alternator.

Officially started work on this, FINALLY.

Today was a good day.

Today's work

Looks awesome, what is it and what all are you doing to it?

What amI looking at?

Started doing all the weatherstrips on my Bronco in preparation for installing the new carpet.

Before

After.. this has been bugging me for a while

Took out one of the gto's to clean it up a bit. One day I will drive all the cars into a field and take a picture of them together. Like a car family photo.
Though sadly 3 of them are currently getting restored by me, my brother and my dad and the third/fourth 70 gto is in boxes with no plans to be restored anytime soon.
Thankfully college is over for the summer so now I can get shit done with the 78 trans am.

1971 Torino, 351C, 4 speed

Doing everything. The dude I bought it from had no clue what he was doing, and a lot of stupid stuff is done poorly or plain nigger rigged. Just started stripping the trim and interior today, and found the build sheet (the second picture). My car's birth certificate, essentially.

Good lord almighty, what a looker

Cool, but I'd get the space-time warping taken care of next.

I honestly like the other 70 better, but this one has diven from California to Michigan in the late 80's so it has that going for it (might have a pic somewhere) The other 70 was supposed to be my other brothers project but he decided that he wanted to be different and bought an rx8. I still hope to convert him but he hates classics because I Like them (the triplet lyfe)

It's on the list, but I won't be able to get to it for a little while

>rx8
Yeesh. You can be my triplet anytime.

That horizontal speedo, huuuungh. My 72 Ford F100 had that and I loved it. I know what you mean about nigger rigged, my Bronco was the same way. Everything was held together by thread pretty much, electrical system included.

Got any more pics?

Really wish this truck had a horizontal speedo. Only real aesthetic design I have a complaint with.

Found the pic.
I still have faith, my other brother bought a 73 formula so now we are second gen firebird bros!
/ccg/ confirmed best general?

That is worthy of being deemed epic.

And yes, /ccg/ is best general.

Damn man, that is just such a fine automobile

That looks awesome.

I don't understand people. The guy put in an electric fuel pump, wired it right across the carpet to a switch he put on the dash. Car stays running even if the ignition is shut off. Also the classic electric-fan-to-dash-switch. I don't like aluminum radiators, gonna get a copper and brass and drop it in. Have the original fan, and I think the shroud is floating around somewhere.

Also, you should get top photo made into a large print, framed, and put on your wall. It's got a good vibe to it.

Building a hotside is harder than I thought and I haven't even started yet. Can't decide on welding v-bands to the manifolds or just getting flanges and doing it oldschool. Cutting the manifolds and welding v-bands would help me point the exhaust straight as opposed to having crazy angles going in opposite directions

I'm afraid of having issues with fitting the coldside and the exhaust getting in the way

>$1.61
hnnnngggg

Why are classic mustake windows such shit /ccg/? I had to re-glue the window back into the bracket today, fuck this shit.

On the flipside i did remove a mouse nest from the headliner, which is good

Fill me in, why is driving a car from california to a destination desirable/important?

>spend $3k to have engine professionally rebuilt as a long block from largest and most respected engine re builders in state.
>get engine back
>put motor in car and mount to transmission
>connect ALL the shit: vacuum lines, heater hoses throttle linkage, starter, EVERYTHING
>Pour in coolant and instantly have half a gallon pour out of the oil drain plug.
>Super great motor shop says "You void your warranty by removing head even though you can see the leak is above the head gasket.

GOOD JOB FUCKFACES. I took all the shit off the motor and pulled it again two days ago to bring back to them. this is my first restoration.

It's so strange seeing the master cylinder up there

compared to where? All the prewar stuff with it under the floor?

Some postwar have it there, too. It's where it is on my '47. I'm just so used to seeing it there now, it's funny to see it elsewhere

What do I need to know about 1950's Cadillacs before investing in one? I thought about asking in the questions thread, but I figured there'd be more informed anons here.

Depends on the year; the X frame can have issues and parts go from readily available to unobtainable.

Tell me more about it and I'll advise accordingly.

79 trans am dude, I can't get the intake manifold off, It's loose in the front but something is still holding it down. But other than that it's going good. Unfortunately I had to settle with the 'turkey tray' style gasket since that's the only thing anyone could get ordered.

I'd say check for any bolts holding it in still... Dist is removed I assume? Sometimes they need a good love tap to separate old sealant

Old pic somwhat related

I'm an Idiot, I didn't think I needed to remove the distributor since it's not even touching the manifold.

>running a generator
>year of our Ford 154

It's an alternator senpai.

I know, it was a joke.

Don't tease it if you don't mean it, baby

i'll do what the fuck i want.

Cool down, papa, don't you blow your top

Don't tease it if you don't mean it, baby

I dig your style, Jack, and I dig your taste in cars

But an alternator IS a generator.

No it's not. The two devices are fundamentally different.

What's a reasonable price to pay to reupholster my front bench seat?

>fundamentally different.

>Generator
Spinny mechanical energy in, DC electrical energy out.

>Alternator
Spinny mechanical energy in, DC electrical energy out.

I know, the generator is functionally a series-wound motor operating in reverse; a pure DC device, while the alternator requires a rectifier to output DC.
But in automotive purposes they serve the same function.

>But in automotive purposes they serve the same function.
Maybe at a glance but how they achieve the goal is different.
With a generator system the battery is used to power all the accessories and ignition system with the generator recharging the battery indefinitely. This is why lights on generator'd cars seem to get much brighter when the engine is under load.

An alternator itself powers all the accessories and ignition system while giving the battery a token trickle charge. You can run an alternator car without a battery as long as the engine stays running but you can't do the same with a generator.

I'm 'bout to have my engine rebuilt, but I'm taking the heads to a different shop than the block

Why must they be so expensive... it's so damn beautiful

That's too much.

I'm all for retro styling.. but retro-futurisitc? Nah.. Too Fallout 3 for me

Because they're so beautiful. Personally, my dream caddy is a 62 DeVille convertible.

That's a fine automobile as well
It's so... space age. The chrome lines... the sleek design. MMMHH YES.

Would parts from a bubble caprice/impala SS fit in the box caprice? Thinking specifically about suspension upgrades.

I feel like in a bang for buck category, this would lose on all accounts except for most land styled spaceship, but even then the Lumina APV would win in a landslide.

My dream side-hustle would be to have a fleet of white, finned caddies and rent them out as wedding limos.

>Lumina APV
Oh man, that's nasty... not nearly on the same level
That sounds... lucrative

Convince me not to, Veeky Forums
A 1986 mazda 929, 2 liter engine and only 84'000 km.
The price is 1'800€ and it passed technical control.

space ship is as spaceship does

I betchya the Lumina would in in a race too.

Nah. '59 Coupe DeVille does a 0-60 in 11.4 seconds whereas a 1990 Lumina will do it in about 13.

Yeah, but it's ugly

>mazda
>not rx7 or mx5

that 929 isn't even a 4 door.

>that 929 isn't even a 4 door.
good

There are no cheap mx5 in this country, sadly. Same thing for rx7.
Everything that's even remotely famous is in "I know what I got" range of price, and I'm not ready to spend 10k on a car that doesn't pass technical controls and is awaiting yet another rebuild because the previous owner states it's "losing compression".

Maybe look for something other than a Mazda, since you can't get your hands on the only good models they made?

Don't beat yourself up aboot it , I make mistakes all the time, at least I'm lucky enough to have not been killed from a breaking Jack stand (serveral times)

What a car

I like the design of 80s cars, but over here anything interesting is drowned in a sea of shitboxes.
My other options were a (1995) 100nx, a 1989 Sunny gti, or a 1988 celica gti.

CELICA CELICA CELICA CELICA CELICA

Thanks, lots of work was done to her lately.... I'll update with new pics soon
(Frame connecters, working on new headers+3 inch exhaust but keeping the oe tips on it)

It's not in a bad shape, but it's got some exhaust leaks and (apparently) some excessive play in the forward half-wheel.

It's so nice to see an interior that's in nice shape after having to stare at mine for extended periods of time

only respectable mention in your list of shit. I'd rive the fuck out of it.

3.0 i6 5-speed?

Most of them will go in fine, the '91 redesign was 98% body and 2% running gear.

2.0 i4 150cv
Handbrake is also too weak apparently, another thing to add to the list of repairs.

What are you looking for, interior wise I may still have a bunch of spare(not in 100% condition but still workable) int parts that id just give away I'm a wierdo that for some reason has to have triple spares of everything, and am to lazy to sell things cause I work 70+ hours a week

Turns out It wasn't the distributor but a bolt that I didn't see. But how fucked am I with all this rust in the heads?

oh shit nigga

Mask off the holes and hit it with a wire brush lol

I'll do that, would it hurt to hit it with the shop vac to get some of the pieces out?

Not bad at all, scotch Brite scuff pad, on a die grinder (or equivalent) and some wd 40 will take it right off (done this more times than I can count) moisture gathers on all un sealed milled areas, usually Les than .005 deep of rust blistering

A: cry
B: find out how all that rust got there in the first place.

Yeah, or blast it away with air if you have a compressor.

Blast it with piss

I'm sorry I'm such a fucking tard, It's cork or some shit mixed with a bit of rust. There's suppose to be that lip there and I guess they filled it in with that. But I suppose moisture got in there because the gasket had no rtv on it.

You're not wrong. The '59 Cadillac is lackluster to drive; a shame, really, since it's so beautiful.

You're too kind, man... I'm just referring to my classic interior in general... I'm not lucky enough to own a Trans-am

It's what's left of a gasket, they used to be made of cork. Dun b sorry, it's better to ask a really straightforward question and know what to do than to fuck something up lol

You're right and thanks! anyway, Do i need to get a replacement gasket for there or will it be fine with the new turkey pan gasket I got?

I'm no expert, but assuming the turkey pan gasket was made for that engine then it should be fine. If you want to go the old school route you could always buy a roll of cork gasket material and cut your own. You can get it at any auto supply store.

From everything I've seen no one has filled those in so i think i'll be fine.

If anybody need t/a parts I may have extra s laying around so feel free to ask the worst I can say is no :)

Don't beat yourself up over that stuff it's all an learning experience, I'm always happy to try to help, and there's still tons for me to learn

>so feel free to ask the worst I can say is no :)
way to sound like you're on OKCupid

I guess I'm to outta the loop on that one I've never used that crap, I do say the stupidest s**t sometimes tho