Does anyone trust this stuff. I'm about 20k a year on my commuter cars. Would you use it?

Does anyone trust this stuff. I'm about 20k a year on my commuter cars. Would you use it?

Fuck no. That's just liquid bullshit.

I do not trust that stuff.
Change your oil when the manufacturer said to change your oil.

I've never used it, but it seems sketchy.

Also

>not changing your oil every 3k miles

Is that the one that costs $50 usd for 5 quarts? I use pic related for my econobox commutermobile

The way synthetics are advancing the wear down comes from time and not usage. They have it on the market for a reason but I'm not willing to try it yet

No real point when the 15000 mile mobile 1 costs half as much.

>Would you use it?
I would use it but I would not buy it at the price they are selling it for.

From how ExxonMobil has been marketing various "new" synthetic oils for each purpose, it seems they are tweaking their additive packages in order to get out of the trap of low price competition with just one type of oil (their regular mobil1 full synthetic).

Pennzoil tried that approach with their Platinum ULTRA which had more TBN and detergent but Pennzoil didn't market it as cynically as Mobil1. Remember, when Mobil1 says this oil protects for one year, that implies the regular Mobil1 and other Mobil1 products do NOT protect for one year or 20K highway miles.

What may happen if this oil becomes popular is that Mobil1 decreases the quality of their regular Mobil1 full synthetic additive package and shifts it over to this oil. That would be a good way to defeat the price competition wars with the 5 quart jugs at walmart. It would let Mobil1 and the other companies get back to selling full synthetic at the former high profit prices they were used to getting before the price warring began.

>Would you use it?
It's $50 per 5 quart jug at Walmart, so no thanks.

One year for both the oil and filter seems overly long to me. After that long, the oil is diluted a bit because it absorbs vapors and combustion gunk, so how much of the oil in the crankcase is still true oil? The dipstick may show it is still fairly full, but the fluid level didn't drop as oil was burned because it has been absorbing gunk all that time to maintain its volume.

I use mobil 1 esp 5w30. Rated to VW507 so in theory good for up to 19000 before a change, but i change mine at 10000. Seems fine so far.

My GM car comes with that "oil life remaining" display which is calibrated for GM's blended oil. That blend is a mix of synthetic and conventional oils. The way I drive, it has been reaching the 20% remaining when I drive approx 4000 miles. I've been using mobil1 full synth and changing it at the 20% point so far.

Ignore that crap, unless you use some shitbox good good quality full synthetic is good for at least 10000, if not 15000 or even over.

It makes me sad that motor oil isn't stored in metal cans anymore

>It makes me sad that motor oil isn't stored in metal cans anymore
It makes me sad that motor oil isn't as inefficient to storage or ship anymore.

>3k

manufacturers have been recommending 5k or more for decades.

wait wait wait,

so you're telling me that regular mobil1 full synthetic protects your car for 20,000 miles

and that if the new one catches on then the other oils will reduce their quality to match the protection they're currently selling them at?

the reason prices for synths went down is because supply increased and production got cheaper while demand didn't drastically increase.

I'm sad that store shelves aren't greased up by leaking motor oil cans anymore. Those were the great old days.

This. Every 3k mi or fuck right off. I ask my customers, "What would you rather pay for? 40% more oil changes, or a new fucking engine?"

It's true. My 2003 Cavalier manual says (and mind you this is explicitly conventional oil)
>If severe conditions (stop and go traffic, lots of towing, short trips
Change every 3000 miles
>If normal conditions (lots of highway mileage)
Change every 7500 miles

Knowing that I would drive a mix of both conditions regularly I would split the difference and change at 5000 miles. That's with conventional oil. I could easily wait twice the mileage with synthetic.

>manufacturer recommended
Exactly why you shouldn't goy

The prices for synth at many other places remained high. The prices for synth in one quart bottles remained high. It was just that 5 quart jugs at walmart had a price war and the other companies had to price war each other or lose market share. But they still keep their prices high elsewhere. While walmart is low at $22.97 (yesterday's mobil1 & mobil1extendedperformance 5 quart price), sam's club (same owner) and costco still have 5 quarts worth of small bottles running at $37 which is acceptable for warehouse shopping volume discount price.

hurr I know better than engineers I read something on the internet durr

if its a 2.2 you hardly even need to care about it thb

between my 2.2 and my moms Jeep 4.0 we both have engines that you can change the oil "when you feel like it" because their both torquey little mills that thrive on abuse

>scale of production
>cost of packaging and shipping individual quarts
>extra cost of extra packaging

it's why the gallons of water cost less than the 20 oz bottles, this isn't a phenomenon isolated to the synth oil industry.

Mobil1 used to have one full synth oil. So of course they had to put their best and most expensive formula into it. If you go to their website now, you see them marketing a lot more variety of synthetic oil for various engine conditions.

This means the company no longer has to put their best formula into their original mobil1 synthetic oil. The best formula can go to the mobil1 extended performance oil. Oh wait, years later, they put out yet another better oil that can go one year or 20K miles.

There's no need to have the original old mobil1 synth be the best oil. Because the new best is the new one year oil which sells at $50 per jug. Formulas change all the time due to marketing. So it would make sense to alter the regular mobil1 formula to not compete against the new annual 20K oil since mobil1 doesn't need to go 20K or one year. Since it's half the price of the 20K one year oil, it makes more sense to alter the formula to make it last 10K 6 months max. That would harmonize its price point and performance within the mobil1 family of oils with the Annual Performance 20K miles oil being the top dog in performance.

Just buy the regular version of Mobil1 for half the price. Change it somewhere between 3k and 5k depending on the quality of your oil filter. Even on my old worn out Subaru, I got an oil analysis done and they said I can go 5k on Castrol edge with a Wix XP filter. Probably because I'll have topped off almost all 4.8 quarts at that point though.

Oh yea it's the 2.2. I hear the Ecotec can take a stupid amount of abuse and neglect, which is perfect for a cheap commuter.

they're not modifying their old formula to make it worse, that opens them up to lawsuits, they're creating new better formulas and putting those for sales while leaving the old formula the same.

And they reply
>I came in for a big Mac, not car advice you faggot.

Lawsuits cannot be made for formula changes as long as all ingredients are not banned. As can be seen from oil testing at the Oil Database, some oils do decline in PSI rating and some others increase when retested a year or two later. A lot of the Dexos oils declined (mobile1, pennzoil, except for quaker state which improved) when they added the Dexos mark.

But who was phone?

not a federal suit, a liability suit, it's why S&W can't drop the hillary hole on their revolvers and cars are all getting those auto safety breaking features.

removing them makes the product appear less safe/they appear to be making them less safe

by actively changing the formula to a worse protection one they open themselves up to liability in that they knowingly put out a product that degrades your engine at a more rapid pace, so somebody that spins a bearing and finds out that M1 changed their formula to a worse one has legal standing to sue for the damage done to their vehicle as a result.

Since mobil1 says to follow your manufacturer's recommendations, they are off the hook. There's also nothing obvious or seen by the public about their formulation as it is proprietary and not published.