AGDG - Amateur Game Dev General

ONLY PROGRESS and fanart. ALL OTHER WILL BE TOWED.

> Play Demo Day 13!
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13

> /agdg/ Short Jam #2
itch.io/jam/agdggj02

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/rmiZV5yX
> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/LKEdLxdG

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

> webm recording
OBS: obsproject.com
Webm for retards: gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

hastebin.com/penosicema.php
youtube.com/watch?v=DeEyCYv_QDI
forum.unity3d.com/threads/can-i-use-instanceid-to-access-an-object.12817/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZAxaE4V4z0V7DUqIPo_SNAFjrYKZ67NQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LhIS4FdS7co&index=15&list=PLstXdGXEYegd3XI7qfL-9B8S4106toCFo
youtube.com/watch?v=jY6yBTYxLko
youtube.com/watch?v=vxF1osPkplA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Rust

R U S T
hastebin.com/penosicema.php

That one where clause is quite the doozy.

Some guy on /dpt/ was doing enterprise-quality
use std::ops::{Add, Mul, Div};

fn to_farenheit(c: T) -> ::Output
where T: Into, U: From + Mul, ::Output: Div, ::Output: Add {
c.into() * 9i8.into() / 5i8.into() + 32i8.into()
}

fn main() {
for celsius in 1..11 {
println!("{}C = {}F", celsius, to_farenheit::(celsius));
}
}

i'd post in this thread but i don't have any progress nor fanart to post yet

So what are people's current short term goals?

After work today I'm planning on cleaning up the movement physics in my terrible platformer so I can get on with building some fun levels.

Godot is a pretty good engine

So I took a look at the official Rust language book or whatever, and the first thing they show you after Hello World is a small thingy that takes user input:
io::stdin().read_line(&mut guess)
.expect("Failed to read line");

Even they think it's too long so they put it over 2 lines, I assume that's why people don't like Rust. And of course you had to first declare AND initialize guess with:
let mut guess = String::new();

This is almost Java tier verbose

yeah me too man. a lot of my progress is intillectual and conceptional.

And Rust doesnt do implicit casts, which isnt bad but just inconvenient.

>Even they think it's too long so they put it over 2 lines, I assume that's why people don't like Rust.
The equivalent would take more than 2 lines in a different language. It's common to chain successive methods on the same value on new lines.
>And of course you had to first declare AND initialize guess with: let mut guess = String::new();
How else should it have worked?

Try to figure out how to code in stats and then set up a combat system.
Might be getting slightly ahead of myself. I think I need to fix collision first, but I want to run a mock battle to test out my numbers. On paper it looks good but everything looks good on paper.

Hey guys I made some progr...

Well, never mind

PROGRESS!

+WHAM! STAY DOWN!

no you didnt

A-are you saying lore doesn't count? I worked hard...

Learning how to draw in order to draw thins to whore out a visual novel patreon in a couple weeks or a month or whatever.

doesnt mean shit if you dont post it.

>How else should it have worked?

let guess = stdin.read_line() or something? Seems simple.

Gonna make a game for the rush hour jam over the next couple of days. Then, I'm going to stop being a lazy piece of shit and actually start work on my "big" project that I meant to start like a month ago.

>R loli M I N D jam R
loli jam runs April 1 to 15
post your progress in the thread to cause endless REEE from normie shitposters
upload your game to any filehost and link in the thread
if you get banned we will honor your memory
lolijam friendly irc is #AGDC on rizon.net (irc://rizon.net/AGDC)

The problem with that is that the memory management is limited by the API. The user can't choose how the string is allocated, the library must create a new one. If the API just mutates strings, the user can pass a string with any memory state they want, typically a brand new one, but an existing one might be faster.

Was thinking of entering the 1bit clicker jam, but got zero ideas.

finish setting up the new multipart animation system

I understand there is a reason why it's done that way, I'm just saying I understand now why people were saying they don't like Rust in the other thread.

nobody cares, goo boy

Well Rust isn't really supposed to be easy nor is it meant to be for beginners or people who don't care about its ideas.

Re-implementing the player states that I made non-placeholder rectangles for, then some more GUI work. Mostly wanted to see if things would explode after I implemented delta, but it's going fine so far.

Yes I understand it's made by and for hipsters, but that does seem like a weird decision to me, being purposefully not popular.

Making the enemy eventually regain conciousness after you knock them out.

The masses are stupid. By not being popular, it doesn't have to change to appeal to the masses. By not being changed, the masses won't be able to use it. Thus the wheat and chaff shall be split.

fuck rust, i say.

Thus it will never be used for any large scale projects.

Is large scale good or bad? It remains to be seen.

Finishing up character mechanics. It is not pretty (fairly ugly in fact) but it is working and the pretty can come later when I know I don't want to drastically change anything.

As a side note this is fairly relevant to some I am sure:
youtube.com/watch?v=DeEyCYv_QDI

Plays more like a podcast so you can just have it play in the background.

I can hear the goofy sound fx already

>Have state object located within a component of a GameObjects
>Okay, my system needs to actually access the GameObjects now. How can I do that on the state object (a POCO).
>Oh I'll just GetInstanceID on the component, and pass that into the state object's constructor. Easy.
>Okay now I'll just Find the GameObject in the scene by its unique InstanceId.
>Type in Find...
>W-what...there's no way to find a GameObject by its unique instance ID?
>forum.unity3d.com/threads/can-i-use-instanceid-to-access-an-object.12817/
Bahahahahaha WHAT? WHAT THE FUCK.
Yeah let's just rename all GameObjects based on their InstanceID and then FIND THE GAMEOBJECTS BY THEIR NAME STRING.
BECAUSE THERE'S NO WAY TO HOLD REFERENCES TO OBJECTS WITH UNIQUE IDS IN AN ICOLLECTION, RIGHT?
Who is responsible for this. WHO?

When is Godot 3 coming out?

I'm shilling my retarded tutorial series here.
If you can't be it, teach it.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZAxaE4V4z0V7DUqIPo_SNAFjrYKZ67NQ

>He literally wants me to be square (or cube in this case).
Guess I won't be there then ;)

Aggydaggy, how do you keep passionate about what you want to make? I feel like I lose the desire to actually create what I planned out whenever I actually put in the lines of code. I can't seem to connect what I'm writing with the grand design I have in my head, I spend two hours writing an inventory system UI and it feels like I'm two steps in out of a marathon.

Sometimes it feels like I get manic highs where I can put in 300-500 LoC in an hour or two, or draw up in-depth UML diagrams detailing mechanics all day, and lows where I write fifty LoC, can't begin to think how I want the game to play, and call it a day thirty minutes in.

Alternatively, gimme some sweet music to drown my nodev sorrows in. I enjoy me some doom
youtube.com/watch?v=LhIS4FdS7co&index=15&list=PLstXdGXEYegd3XI7qfL-9B8S4106toCFo

3D is so hard. This took me like 4 hours

you can find objects by their tag

if this doesn't help ( there are more than one object with the same tag) there are other ways to find the game object you are looking for but that depends on the conditions of the game you are making.

Mid 2017

love it. that low poly + low pixel count gives me a raging hard on.

are you a girl or underage ?

lookin' good though

So I'm working on a roguelike right now where the ticks happen before your action for the purpose of more involved, positioning based combat. The general idea is enemies giving some sort of a tell, and then only launching their attack after a certain number of ticks. Bigger bosses of course hitting multiple squares. This gives you time to notice patterns/timings and hopefully sneak in some of your own attacks between the enemy's. You're of course bound to the same rules, though.

My question is how much information I should be displaying to the player. Should I be giving them precise turn/tick numbers for the message log? Show them the tick the monster raises up their hand and also the tick it comes crashing down? Or do you think that would make it too easy and remove all danger?

If the attacks aren't such that they're likely to one hit kill, it seems to me like it would be okay to figure out by practice how many attacks you can sneak in during attacks and still get out. I've been staring at this all so long and am familiar enough with the numbers that I'm not sure if this would be annoying from a player perspective.

Sure. But that's not the point.
It would be better to be able to find an object by their unique instance id.

i think you should let the players figure it out themselves. like you said giving them the ticks will probably be too easy.

i'd just suggest you make a lot of easy early game enemies for the player to get usef to the system before you throw the hard stuff at them.

what language are you using ?

Sounds like a femanon to me.
I've been on teamspeaks/vents a lot and have always been able to tell the difference, even when others couldn't.
Not that it matters anyways.

it's a non issue.

And it's a fucking leaf femanon. Oh boy.

Good evening /agdg/

Got a new track for you

puu sh/v7vmr/a211e6f554 mp3

You did good, this is maximum comfy.

why don't you just give us the actual address ?

youtube.com/watch?v=jY6yBTYxLko

Wont let me post it

sorry for being retarded but i can't access it. i replaced the spaces with periods but that only gives me some random domain page.

>Our professionally-developed tutorial videos are sure to be exactly what you're looking for to begin your career in 3D modeling.

in the first 53 seconds you start the intro twice, open a can of soda and the start the wrong fucking program.
10/10 would learn from again

>Easily flustered
>Drawing attention to being flustered
>Trying very hard to keep an upbeat tone
>Approximately 69 "ok"s
Definitely a chick.

>steam is integrating a key-mailer for devs
pretty nice 2bqh.

itch did it first

@172906150
FYNG.

Pygame at the moment because I wanted to force myself to just start slapping down some working shit. May rewrite in C++ using SDL or SFML.

What's that?

making a game is the important part, i was just asking because you mentioned implementing ticks and that obviously involves some form of engine devving.

idk what to tell you buddy.

are you putting the period between puu and sh?
and the second one before mp3?

should look like pic

>an ultra (You)
Thank you for the attention user!

>want to get into gamedev so bad
>particularly want to get into UE4 environment design
>imagine everything that's required in order to do this and start planning
>sit down to actually do it
>mind wanders endlessly
>just end up playing a game instead
Gotta find a way to grow a pair and concentrate... just gotta

Steam is re-vamping its curator system among other things. And from how TB is petting it. you can directly send a key to curators, and also filter by genre so you arent sending your rogue-like to a FPS-centric curator

Hey don't steal my ultra (You)

I honestly prefer engine dev to game dev. I have a lot of trouble coming up with content but enjoy engine puzzles.

Oh nice.
I wonder when they'll actually start steam direct, they only said "spring".

Attention ideaguys. My independent games development company has an open position for a game designer. I am accepting applications through the Veeky Forums forums. However, I will need a portfolio. Attach to your post your best design and we can talk!

What engine does your studio use?

>Hey guys! send me a design doc for the best idea you have!

We're not interested in ideaguys that use engines, sorry. Good luck!

>poor reading comprehension
Oh, haha nevermind.

k looks like i somehow managed to omit the initial 'p'. anyway thanks for the screencap.

your song has a cool beat to it. is it a midi song ? i didn't know people still made those.

Almost done tweaking my ledge grabbing behavior. Of course I'll eventually need actual models and real shimmy behavior instead of the hack I use to visualize the effect. Last two part I can work on before that are:
- fixing the camera so it isn't allowed to move too much when in ledge grab (so far, no success, but this could be fixed when I implemented proper head rotations, then I just need to prevent camera movements that also move the pawn)
- Lerping the camera (but not the pawn) when entering ledge grab (right now the view just snaps into place).
Not too sure how to handle the latter.

You're not going to get hired with that attitude. How can we assess your skill as an ideaguy if you don't show us your ideas? How can we trust you if you only give us subpar ideas?

I can state with certainty that we have an annual salary of $170,000 base and a $20 million budget waiting for the ideaguy that we hire. A full team at your beck and call.

Now post that idea, won't you?

>tfw I already make more than that
disappointed desu senpai.

cute naked men doing sports

You're hired. When can you move to our S.F. offices to start work? We have a corner office ready to go.

Everyone else. Applications are closed.

4 hours to create that? worth it, nice work

What the hell is a roguelike or rogue game. I have never heard this term before.

It would be nice if you posted gameplay here. I THINK I know which dev you are but only because you posted to twitter

immediately.

send my first paycheck to my paypal @ [email protected]

Do you guys lift so when ur famous ull look good?

a game whose design imitates an old-ass ASCII graphics game called rogue. basically it's a turn-based dungeon crawler with procedural generation and permadeath with a reputation for being very difficult and unfair (but that's part of the fun)

roguelikes these days tend to deviate from that design a lot though

you should be lifting so that you're better at gamedev

A game designed in a similar vein as Rogue. Having partial or full procedural generation, plus permadeath, is part of that design.

Wrong.

Exactly. You are in fact a different dev and I have no idea who you are because you didn't post an image

Sure, but it's not like there's anything to post yet since I've only been developing for the past few hours.

post youre are game

Footage of some dick playing Rogue
youtube.com/watch?v=vxF1osPkplA