Tirefags

Is this stuff really that bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p9LKQr0EpwA
youtube.com/watch?v=DO-l1zaSJvk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It'll make your ass bigger

It's horrible. Just learn to change your fucking tire you millennial shit.

It works only in some circumstances. It makes a huge mess when replacing the tire. It never fully hardens. You don't need the whole bottle, contrary to (((their))) instructions.

You're infinitely better off carrying a jack, torque wrench and spare tire around.

It's not a solution to your problem.

>be tire shop worker
>get ticket to fix flat
>fill it up with air
>look it over
>can't find shit
>tank it
>can't find shit
>take it off the wheel
>explosion of fixaflat
>report back the tire is fucked

get fucked fixaflatters.

I'd rather change into a spare or take the wheel and tire off to patch it. Feel sorry for the dudes at discount tire who get people who put this stuff in

Thanks for the responses. I'll just plug it and be done with it.

Actually had to use this stuff once on vavcation while in italy. Car was a Mercedes Vito 115
>notice tire is flat
>rtfm, apply goo to tire, pump it up using the tiny compressor came with it
>car drives fine, get to garage to get tire fixed
>washing that shit out was a mess, but since the damage wasn't too bad it only took a small patch to fix it

We were back on the road within an hour, mechanic wanted 8€ for it. And the tire lasted just as long as the other 3.

Everything went better than expected, but when the tire is badly damaged you're probably goofed

>take off flat leaking disaster of a road hazard tire
>put on spare
>fix flat with no mess or extra expenses

seriously, why?

Not all cars come with spares, or the spare is also fucked

>driving without a functional spare

This should be illegal.

Fuck you maybe I don't want to pay for a spare

>having a spare. jacks, stands, tools, in your lightweight weekend fun car
why?

It is. It takes less time and money to just throw on the spare. Even when this shit is in bicycles it sucks ass and makes a huge mess.

Tire tech here, anyone who uses this shit needs to go die in a fire. Such a fucking pain in the ass, especially if they want the tire patched when it has a gallon of that shit in it. Takes forever to clean the wheel, the inside of the tire, and then your tire machine, tools, and the floor around it after you're done because everything within a 5 foot radius got coated in that shit.

Have fun paying for a one time tow when you have a blowout or the fix a flat garbage doesn't work, which costs much much more than going to the junkyard and buying a spare tire

Ive only had good experience with the green goo with pic related I was told never to trust them on a car or a truck

Weight reduction my dude

>throwaway jack
>breaker bar with socket for lug already on it

why would you need all that other shit? Are you going to get under the car to change your tire? Do you have different lug sizes?

MR-S fag spotted.

I don't know why alot of car makers put the spare in the bootspace, why not the underside, or under the bonnet

Most cars today don't have them for cost/weight savings

>shave 10 lbs off your daily econobox
>be in overweight BMI category

Really old Subarus have the spare on top of the transmission, behind the air cleaner, and most trucks/SUVs have the spare underneath that's held up by a cable that you wind up and down.

Yeah, but those tires don't spin fast enough to need balancing. Imagine how horrible the wheel balance would be with an extra five ounces of green shit on one side of the tire.

most sane people today would front the cost for a steel wheel, and a used $30 tire, and suffer the addition 20 pounds.

most cars are too low to get one from under the car and have not enough space in the engine bay

If anything it would probably make it better. It spreads around evenly throughout the tire. Not too different from tire balancing beads, which are mainly used on big ass off road or truck tires that would be a pain in a dick to balance normally with standard weights.

Changing a tire without using stands. Nigger whut?

>most idiots today would front the cost for a steel wheel, and a used $30 tire, and suffer the addition 20 pounds

Where are you planning to keep the jack and wheel, rolling round in the trunk?

personally I love the stuff, I haven't used OPs pic but I bought an off brand because my tire got punctured on a road trip and no shop was open and we were an hour away from our destination, next day went and got it plugged with no problems. Also I don't give a fuck about the mess because my tires still have a great amount of tread and when they need changing it won't be my problem.

The wheel will ride fine, and the jack might need a very small amount of ingenuity to keep still.

Nice waste of space you have there.

It's more likely than you think.

>cargo in the cargo area
>waste of space

the real waste of space is your front passenger seat, bud.

you jack up one corner of the car, remove the wheel, put on the spare, and drop it down. why would you need jack stands?

>the real waste of space is your front passenger seat, bud.
savage

Jeez, I never thought I'd have to tell someone on an automotive forum how to change out your flat for your spare

>break lug nuts loose with breaker bar
>jack car up at pinch weld because you're a fucking loser in a hurry
>remove lugs completely
>take off flat
>put on spare
>finger on lugs
>tighten lugs in secure opposing pattern to secure to hub
>lower vehicle back to ground
>give 'em another snug

it's because he rides the bus user and has never even done something as simple as change a fuckin tire

>I don't have a spare
You just didn't have the special tool to get it off the car didn't you?
>t. Vito owner

Are you actually fucking retarded? Jack stands are just failsaves in this case. You can just place the flat wheel under the car but even that's fucking retarded because the very next thing you'll be doing is fitting the spare. There's no moment when you or your limbs will be under the car anyway. Please return to this board when you drive an actual car.

car was a swb van with the short back end. No spare tire because there's no space for it underneath (It's also rwd so there's also a diff and driveshafts in the way).

Since then we usually have a winter tire as a spare in the vito

Wrong, tubeless tyres with sealant on bicycles are gods gift. At least mountain biking

Some cars dont have space for spares.

Ok then put it in your wheel and have it eat the shit out of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=p9LKQr0EpwA

cheeky

>Report back tire is fucked

As a former tire fag its shit like this that gives tire """""techs""""" a bad name. Get a hose and wash out the fix a flat, if you're a slow worker that will take 5 minutes tops. For some people fix a flat is their only option. Don't get me wrong I hated that shit too, especially the tire slime stuff that people would use.

But telling someone they need a new tire when you're too lazy to find the problem? That's just pathetic. Disgrace to the insustry.

New Hyundai Velosters don't come with a spare, jack or tire iron. Friend of mine has one. You're just supposed to call road side assistance. Of course, after the warranty is up, you're screwed, but by that point it's not their problem any more.

Also, how many people actually check the air in their spare tires? Last time I had to use mine, it was dead flat. When I checked the one in my other car, it was down 20 psi from where it should be, and it was about a year since I last checked it.

yeah but those engines are fuck small

i carry an air compressor in my car. just a cheap one. i think its this one

really useful if you have a slow leak too. but tis main purpose is the spare tire.

>why do Americans need big trucks? Just rent a van bro
>doesn't even have a spare tire

euros kek

>huge mess when replacing the tire
I always heard this argument,if you are sitting in a waiting room reading old magazines,who cares about the mess?

only the fag "tire techs" who are bitching about having to do their jobs

>disgrace to the industry
LOL what, the tire shop industry? The one staffed almost entirely by highschool dropouts working for peanuts? The only car related profession you can get into and succeed in with zero experience?

>succeed in with zero experience
Yet somehow you will manage to fuck it up.

>be cheap
>have slow leak in tire
>buy a car of tire repair
>follow directions on can
>proceed to drive from the west coast to east cost in 7 days
>3 years later tire was still holding up
>sell vehicle

I wonder if its still going stonk

you got a source on this? otherwise you're full of bullshit.

Bmw's didn't for a while, run flats were standard equipment.

>not carrying a full size spare on the rear

wew lads

Kek, fucking roasted

You get that shit that smells like skin cancer on your hands and tell me how much you are bitching

The stuff doesn't even work, most of the time someone comes in with it is after they sprayed the entire 6 pack of cans into their wheel and then still couldn't get it to hold air

At least the OG style plug where you in and out the fucker at least works most of the time

Maybe if you used your brain for two seconds after you got so offended you would have realized I was talking about the automotive industry as a whole, try being more literate.

>The only car related profession you can get into and succeed in with zero experience

My man you're too lazy to clean out a tire. You've lied to the customer to make them spend money unnecessarily, and then you have the nerve to say anyone can do that job? You are one entitled prick.

I got a story on this
>working at garage
>10 minutes before close
>old guy in a brand new hyundai clunks up on a flat
>just bought the car a week ago and its already got a flat
>pull it in
>know immediately that its not just the tire thats shot
>get it inside and see it in the light
>the fucking steelie has a 4cm dimple in the rim, deep past the bead seat
>Ask him what he hit
>i think i clipped a curb
>old coot probably ran it into a goddamn sidewalk at 40mph
>no spare, just a fucking can of fixaflat in the spare tire well
>tell him rim is toast, end up driving him and his wife home in my shitbox because its on the way
>orders a new 15in steelie from the dealership up the road and we toss some fresh rubber on it the next day

This is why you should have a spare. I wouldn't even bother buying a car without one.

>tell him rim is toast, end up driving him and his wife home in my shitbox because its on the way
>get to fuck his wife while he watches
>orders a new 15in steelie from the dealership up the road and we toss some fresh rubber on it the next day

Been huffing that starting ether again I see, user

I'm not that guy, I'm laughing at both of you. The shithead who can't clean gunk off for having such a garbage job in the first place, and you for taking garbage job so seriously.

You dont own a car do you?
>scissor jack weighs too much
>donut weighs too much
>9 inch tyre iron weighs too much
>id rather have to wait an hour on the side of the road crying until the tow truck arrives
kys my man, unless youre actually racing on a track youre just retarded

Hell, real racers strap all the extra's on the roof

The only people who are ripping out functional bits of hardware on their DD's are shithead boy racers

he obv plans on crawling under the car and kicking the jack out while changing the tyre

Science bitches.

youtube.com/watch?v=DO-l1zaSJvk

>driving without 4 runflats

this should be illegal

Go configure any car on their website, a spare is usually an extra cost option. I know most Kias and Hyundais come with an inflator and a can of fix a flat, just from being a tire tech.

>Be cheap
>Truck has a slow leak
>Take truck to discount tire store
>They patch it up for free even though they know I didn't buy the tires from them
>Drive home 20 minutes later

Every time I drop some fix a flat or tire slime into a tire I smile about the fact that some disgruntled dropout with no aspirations or chance of success in life, like you, is someday going to have to deal with the mess all over their hands and their machine.

I have a supermoto and got a tech screw into the rear tire offroading in a construction yard.

Bike shops wont put a new tube on a punctured tire because they're shit so I dropped half a bottle of the stuff into each tire on my bike.

Aired it up and had to keep airing it up every day until a week later it just took and sealed up completely. No more flat and I'm probably fine until I toast this rear tire.

You're a fucking retard.
Why do idiots always spout "Torque Wrench" every 10 fucking seconds.
No one is carrying a torque wrench to put their spare on. What you're thinking of is a tire iron you fucking faggot.

pic related, it's your face when

liquid in a tire self balances.

Slime is viscous enough that once it does balance itself it stays that way, it ends up as just a thick coating inside the tire.

I carry a torque wrench and the appropriate size socket in my trunk for flats. Why not, you cna pick up a cheap torque wrench good enough for side of the road repairs for pennies at harbor freight.

Don't assume everyone is as careless as you and just half asses torque values because they are lazy.

>Just change your tire
Slime isn't fix-a-flat. It's meant to be applied preemptively so that it's there to seal a puncture as soon as it happens.

That said, it's still shit and not worth using in most cases. However, if you want to get some extra miles out of a tire that's too old for tire shops to deal with, or has a slow leak you can't find, slime can be helpful.

Also, slime is water-soluble and non-toxic so it's actually pretty easy to wash out... unless it dries, then it's a motherfucker.

The goop does make the tires a bit wobbly when you start driving, but after a few seconds at speed it evens out.

Can confirm, slime is fucking useless at bicycle tire pressures. Shit won't even stop a leak, it just sprays everywhere.

I don't think slime would "flow" well enough to work as a tubeless sealant, unless the Slime brand has come up with a product for that specific purpose. The "regular" product is viscous and sort of fibrous.

slime has tubed tire and tubeless tire products and has had them forever.

That just further proves your retardation.
Your toque will be wildly out of spec on a harbor freight wrench that you tote in your car with you everywhere, probably for years at a time.
And a spare change isn't a permanent change, even if you're a torque weeb you shouldn't be driving on it more than a few miles anyway.
I'm not sure how you are so unskilled and dimwitted that you can't tighten wheels by hand and land within the spec range anyway.

An uncalibrated harbor freight torque wrench is 20 times better than your retarded ass guesstimating with a tire iron.

Checkmate atheist.

This will frighten you, but the vast majority of cars on the road right now weren't even tightened by a trained hand, they were tightened by a greasy monobrow with an impact, if you're lucky they used their old, worn out, out of spec torque sticks.
Keep on being delusional, I bet you think your toque wrench is accurate like your folded a gorillian time japanese steel katana.
Get some experience.

>retard eyeballs torque values
>claims this is acceptable
>tries to justify with a bullshit argument of popularity based on the shit state of maintenance of every other retard's car on the road.

lol no. I'm not a pleb that doesn't give a shit about his vehicle.

You're just a poorfag who is too lazy to use a torque wrench.

Lol. There's autism, then there's advanced autism.
You're like a framer with an old cheap level.

at what point would repairing a tire cost more than replacing it ?
on the third patch its about a the limit iirc

>I'm too lazy to use a torque wrench so you're autistic.

pretty shit argument mate.

There is literally no reason not to use one other than you being poor and lazy.

I do, it doesn't weigh much more than a breaker bar. Might as well, better than guessing where 65 ft-lbs is. As long as it's stored with the torque dial ran all the way down, it won't get noticably out of calibration.

I'm a tire tech at wally world, we're REQUIRED to put lug nuts on by hand, then use a torque stick on an impact, then torque them again with the car on the ground with a torque wrench, by 2 different people. A wheel coming off is instant termination. They're serious about that shit, and for good reason. Our torque wrenches were replaced last year.

Lol keep plumbing that temporary railing with your crooked level, sounds like you also plan on removing the lugnuts with your toque wrench too since you didn't include a breaker, so keep on hammering your wall with that level buddy :)

>65ftlbs
What on earth takes such a low torque spec? Lotus was that low then it was revised to be 85-105.

I've watched the kids at Walmart, I bring in wheels to get the laughably cheap tires on the back rack that have been sitting for years.
And while you do use torque sticks I've never once seen anyone recheck. The big book of liability protection might have it that way, but my location sure doesn't do it that way and I imagine hundreds of others don't either.

Question for you tho, why do tire techs ask for the car the wheels are going on, and then proceed to set the psi at the sidewall max rather than the car's spec every damn time?

>Lol keep plumbing that temporary railing with your crooked level,
Your red herring makes no sense. You are trying to avoid the fact that you are blatantly too poor and lazy to do something the right way.

>sounds like you also plan on removing the lugnuts with your toque wrench too
There is literally no reason you cannot do this. And the torque wrench is a ratchet so it's actually easier to do so.

>so keep on hammering your wall with that level buddy :)
Another worthless red herring to try to hide your absolute garbage argument.

Torque wrenches are small and cheap and there is literally no reason not to use one other than you being poor and lazy. It's really as simple as that.

>There is literally no reason you cannot do this
Lol.

Also just because you don't like my analogy doesn't mean it isn't accurate.
You're using bad tools, incorrectly, to perform a temporary task. Them some amateur red flags.

>Also just because you don't like my analogy doesn't mean it isn't accurate.

Except your analogy is stupid and inaccurate.

>You're using bad tools
A poor quality torque wrench is a better tool for torquing a lug nut down than a retard with a tire iron. To argue otherwise is fucking retarded.

>incorrectly
using a torque wrench to torque lugnuts down is more correct than using a tire iron. To argue otherwise is fucking retarded.

>to perform a temporary task.
There is little to no difference in the time it would take to use the correct tool (a torque wrench) vs a cheap tool (a tire iron) to install lug nuts. Only the torque wrench will be far closer to the correct torque values, even on a temporary application.
The only reason not to use one is because you are lazy or poor.

>Them some amateur red flags.
The amatuer uses the ametuer cheap ass tool to do a job that is better served with the proper tool (a torque wrench).
Torque wrenches aren't included to change spares because most people (liek you) are too stupid to know how to use them correctly, and tire irons are cheaper.

You are using the cheap tool for idiots instead of the appropriate tool that will do the job right.

Deal with it retard.

Subarus up until 2005 or so, then they went to 89 for the Legacy/Outback and 73 for the Forester. Imprezas stayed 65 until 2012ish and went to 89. Dunno about the STi since nobody's ever brought one in (while I was there).

For carry in tires, I ask the customer what they want it at, if they don't know then I just set it at 35 unless I can recognize what kind of model it's from based on the center cap and wheel design. We don't have a book that tells you the tire pressure for every car, so if there's no driver door sticker to go off of, there isn't really anything else we can do. For some cars that don't have one, I'll at least google what tire pressure or lug torque spec forum members use. Did 5 tires on a 56 Buick Super a few weeks ago, and of course our chart doesn't go back that far, so I googled it and got 33 psi, 65 ft-lbs for the rear lug bolts and 80 for the fronts (had a front disc conversion with larger studs).

>Except your analogy is stupid and inaccurate.
Nope :)
>A poor quality torque wrench is a better tool for torquing a lug nut down than a retard with a tire iron. To argue otherwise is fucking retarded.
I didn't argue against that. I argued that a bad torque wrench is worthless, and a skilled hand can easily land within the torquespec, aka fine even by torque weeb standards.

Your entire argument is based on trying to call me stupid and poor as often as you can within your post.
Yet you're the one advocating harbor freight tools and mechanical illiteracy.

Or you just torque the fuck outta them with a tire iron and stop being such a nancy

I sure hope you're smart/social enough to get out of walmart. You appear to be far too good to work with the bottom of the industry.

>I argued that a bad torque wrench is worthless, and a skilled hand can easily land within the torquespec
Except this is wrong. Even a poor quality torque wrench or on thats out of calibration will be closer toa torque value than some retards uncalibrated hand and a tire iron. This has been proven time and again that people are shit at guessing torque values. Even mechanics wit tons of experience.

>fine even by torque weeb standards.
no, it's fine for some retard with a cheap tool on the side of a road who doesnt know any better.
For someone who knows how to use a torque wrench and can afford one,, there is literally no reason NOT to use one. Using a shitty tire iron when you can use the correct tool shows your are either just poor or lazy.

>Your entire argument is based on trying to call me stupid and poor
No, My argument stands on it's own.
I am calling you stupid, poor, and lazy because everything you say points to that being the case.

>Yet you're the one advocating harbor freight tools
A harbor freight torque wrench is a better torque wrench than a tire iron. Arguing otherwise is fucking retarded.

>and mechanical illiteracy.
You're the retard advocating using the cheap idiot's tool instead of the appropriate tool for the job because it's "good nuff" in your poor, lazy, inexperienced eyes.

I've been thinking about applying at mazda or hyundai (they don't make anything I hate working on), but right now I'm sticking with walmart since I need their schedule flexibility while I'm in school. It pays alright for what a 20 year old with no degree yet can get, I can't complain too much about $11.21/hr out of walmart. Definitely doing better than most of the people I graduated high school with, from what I've seen they either don't have a job at all (let alone a car) or work somewhere like taco bell.

>Or you just torque the fuck outta them with a tire iron and stop being such a nancy
and fatigue/stretch your lug nuts. Great idea.