Ural Bikes

Are these Soviet bikes overpriced for what they are? I was never interested in harleys or any fast bike but I really like the reliability and vintage look of these Urals

Is there a specific name for slow, utilitarian bikes like these?

These bikes are fucking shit.

Any jap-scrap you find rotting in a back alley will absolutely walk this crap.

Buy an old BMW or Guzzi if you want the I'm riding a tractor feel.

>Is there a specific name for slow, utilitarian bikes like these?
Heaps of shit. It's mostly a cult following. It's not nearly as reliable as it looks, and even the 2WD doesn't help because it's just too heavy and slow to get uphill in the dirt especially with a passenger or lots of cargo. Do yourself a favor and get an actual adventure bike if you want to go on offroad trips.

Anything the Soviets ever made has only novelty value. Basically anything is better than commie crap. I had a Lada Samara once. Never again.

Lada Niva could be an exception of sort but something like Suzuki Samurai is still a lot better.

Urals are neat but their performance is lackluster and their reliability isn't as good as more modern bikes. They're also difficult to ride without the sidecar. With all this in mind, they're still a pretty cool novelty and if you have the money to spare I'd say go for it.

>Is there a specific name for slow, utilitarian bikes like these?
most of the people I know call them "utility bikes" but I'm not sure whether anyone else calls them that.

>Anything the Soviets ever made has only novelty value. Basically anything is better than commie crap
Soviet milsurp in general is a mixed bag, the Reds designed a lot of well-made, innovative gear but they also put out a lot of garbage as well.

>Lada Niva could be an exception of sort
UAZ jeeps are pretty fun, they're slow as fuck but once they get going there's not a whole lot that can get in their way. Easy to maintain, too.

Fuck that commie crap. Buy a UAZ Patriot. Actual Russian gear, not some commie stuff that was made in Kazachstan by sand-Asians.

They look cool as shit but they're way expensive. You could hack an older UJM and have a better platform for tooling around town for 1/4 the cost. It's what I'm planning for my 750 Nighthawk.

>soviet
>reliable

pick one OP

Eh, I'm less interested in a big russian car thing and more interested in just a neat little bike. I don't want anything fast or heavy, basically just a dirtbike with comfy seats and less racy-styling. Does this exist? "Utility motorcycle" gets me nothing on google

This, except trade adventure bike for a dualsport.

If you're riding off into the wilderness you want a bike that's light so when you eventually drop it you don't need three people to pick the thing back up.

Urals are shit, Royal Enfield tier.

>Urals
>reliable

Bikefags have whole forums displaying their horrible reliability.

>I really like the reliability

hahahah wat

>reliability
LOL

What you want is a dual sport. Suzuki DR650 or Honda XR650L for instance. Big single cylinders with lots of torque. Somewhat heavy, but not ridiculous heavy like an adventure bike. There's also the Suzuki DRZ400 and Yamaha WR250R or XT250 for something lighter and easier to ride in the dirt.
They're also waaaay more reliable than a damn Ural.

Urals are basically unridable on the freeway as well. Get an big dual sport

If you're buying one buy one from before 1991 or after 2000. The economy went to shit after '91 and the Russians enjoyed cutting corners because they had no money, Soviet rubber was far better, Soviet bearings seem to be more hard wearing from experience , sub frames that were supposed to be welded on where pasted on ect.
This is coming from a dude who owns some Russian cars. I've seen an Ural local to me, the chap loves it, he rolls up to the post office, gets off the bike, takes his walking stick from the sidecar and goes to business.

Craigslist special.

>1970 Hondazaki cszr 400 needs carbs cleaned also leaking gas? Would make a cool cafe racer or scrambler 850$ OBO no tire kickers they don't have enough air and kicking them breaks the bead. Ran good until I forgot the sta-bil last winter headlight doesn't work needs a battery spilled coffee on the title have too many projects come and get it

They're absolute shit.

when it comes to Soviet vehicles, I've heard that the earlier the vehicle was made, the better. 1970s to mid-1980s is supposedly the ideal sweet spot for quality, but even late-1980s is superior to post-Collapse.

Op do you want a REAL utility bike? Get this.

Too much for a bike that needs that much work, but prices vary by market.