Finish college on scholorship

>Finish college on scholorship
>Parents are lower middle class and I always go out of my way to not cost them anything
>Gonna start med school this fall and need a car
>Was going to buy a 3k civic in manuel that I found
>Even had a couple of tasteful mods thought out

>Yesterday
>Parents tell me they want to buy the car
>They found a 2012 Accord at the local honda dealership
>11k
>Coupe EX-L
>Leather everything
>only 45k miles in it compared to the 120k on the civic
>Makes the civic look like even more of a shitbox
>2 big problems though
>i4 on a 3 ton car
>Auto with the shitty paddles

I wanted a stick so I could fit in with you guys...should I just have them buy it? To be honest those 3k would be much better used for food, livinb expenses when I'm there and books etc.

Is it even possible to knock the price down at all from 11k? I would feel much better about this if it was like 9.
Also I did want a "sporty" car since I've been a busrider forever and I finally have the chance to actually drive.

What does Veeky Forums think of the 2012 Accord Coupe EX L in auto with the i4? Is it reliable at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/6158789183.html
newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6151370722.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just tell them you'd like a different car. At best, find a cheaper accord but with manual, or find a cheaper civic with manual.

lol taking the manual meme seriously. Gets old dud own one and its no fun, just unneccesary exertion if you buy a manual.

Also. Its a Honda, ur not going ro be tearing the streets and racing in a civic or accord. Who cares about performance. Yes they are just as reliable as any other car.

Good ur life is so mundane OP....

Why are you even here?

This is more or less the cheapest car on the lot.
Really don't want them to pay more
Getting constantly cucked by your tranny gets even older

>falling for the "it's manual or nothing" meme

kYs my dude, you're a fucking moron

They are like 3400lbs dude. Not 6000lbs. Fuck off

>I wanted a stick so I could fit in with you guys
>literally caring about what a bunch of absolute nigger retards think about you on a mongolian cartoon board

Don't fucking get something that you're not comfortable with just to look cool, do what FEELs right

>scholorship
>manuel
>civic
take it easy there cholo. Should probably fix your grammar before you go to med school.
Also either choice is a fine choice it's really up to you

Cucked by a transmission? Wtf are u planning on doing redlining every gear?? God u actually are taking memes seriously

>I did want a "sporty" car since I've been a busrider forever and I finally have the chance to actually drive.
You get to drive whatever the fuck you want when you can pay for it yourself.

>Being this much of a newfag

I bet you dont even drive a fucking manuel.

>wahhhh abloobloo mommy and daddy wont let me be like TAKUMI

>implying
okay bud, my trim only comes in manual

Manuel*

Fucking newfag. Stop driving Autojuatic

Get a late 90s Toyota Camry for 2k and save the 9k for books and chilling

If you'rein the city, or live close to it, don't bother with a manual. You'll hate it in no time. Go with the auto

If you don't like the inline 4, the make a V6, though it'll cost you a bit more. I wouldn't worry about reliability, it's pretty much tops in class with the Camry.

If you're going to med school, you'll want something that just works. Chances are, the previous owner shit kicked that poor 3k civic to fuck. Go with the Accord.

Also, bitches love leather and sunroofs. ;)

Don't buy from a dealer. They should be putting down 3k so just find a clean stock civic for that price. Post your local Craigslist

Just look for a cheaper car, something 10 years or less.

If you want a comfy car, the accord is it. Still 11k is a lot for a commuter.

If Honda is your thing, how about a 2009+ Fit?

>If you'rein the city, or live close to it, don't bother with a manual. You'll hate it in no time
You get used to it.

t. 21 year old that daily drives a manual SUV in a big ass city

Kek basically
Honestly it's really not that bad driving a stick in traffic.
I drove my friend home the other day in his manual mazda 3 and I was fine just by leaving a gap and rolling in second. I would probably do the same in an auto.

I'll be honest, other than the 400 mile trip home and maybe late night taco bell runs I probably won't even have time for driving.
Maybe it's stupid of me to even think of turning down such a nice car like a top trim accord coupe, just because it's an auto.

Would it be at all possible to talk it down to 9k? The dealer has it for 10,999 on their site. I've never dealt with this before so I have no idea how much room I have for haggling.

This.

Stop being a fucking baby over paddleshifts OP. Make do with what you got and then buy an S2000 in the future if you want to fit with us.

>3 tons.

Curb weight: 3,336 lbs

I dont think you understand that one ton equals = 2000 lbs.

190 HP is plenty to move it around at decent pace. No, its not the fastest but it wont be a slow dog either. Sure youd rather have the V6 but theres nothing wrong with the 190 HP i4 especially if your parents just want a low cost reliable car.

Only my grandma ever understood that a man should buy a car that he wants. I was to inherit her 2005 fully loaded Camry with 20k miles on it. Good deal? Absolutely, but she said I could sell it and buy what I wanted. Sold it for $12k and got exactly what I wanted. I'm happy and know she is too.

>she said I could sell it and buy what I wanted
I suppose you were planning on keeping such a treasured heirloom in the family until she gave you that permission?

She wanted it clear so no family members would guilt trip me for selling it. Had other family members that desperately wanted the car for their teenage daughter.

jesus dude I had to buy my first car myself and it was 1995 Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro

be thankful

Probably more fun to drive than an auto "sporty" family car though
What did you buy instead?

Your grandma sounds like a swell lady.

those cars are fucking beautiful though, rather have that than an Accord

A Crown Vic and a down payment on a condo. Then a CTS-V 2 years later.

Take the 11K and still go for the 3K Civic, invest the rest. If you have to, get a slightly nicer shitbox, but 11K for a used commuter is autistic.

I've driven manual-only my entire 16 year driving experience. What your are saying only applies if you have to sit in traffic for 30min plus each way every day in your commute. If you have a job that is well paying enough to put yourself through that, you can afford a manual car in the side if you are not retarded with finances.

Are you fucktard not able to tell your parents that you'd like a different, cheaper car? What's the fucking problem here?

They're really happy to buy me this "luxury" car and I don't want to make them feel bad

The other anons are right though, I'll just pretend I'm a little rich faggot and my parents just bought me a new BMW in auto
By the way, what should I be looking for when I go check this thing out? Obviously the serpentine belt first, since they always seem to be a problem on 4cyl hondas.
Post 2008 engines don't have that thing where the block cracks and leaks coolant right?

Tell them you'relooking for a more fun car. Like a mustang. You're like 22 or something, you shouldn't own a fwd ever again.

>Mustang
I need something reliable user. Also good on gas, considering the trip is 400 miles

>I get everything I know about cars from Veeky Forums memes.

Really hope your trolling because this is borderline autistic.

A mustang is just as reliable as any other car, so what your saying is any car that is made outside of japan is unreliable.

Buy a 3k shitbox civic with the meme transmission.

Your a tremendous faggot if ur being serious OP.

>a mustang is reliable.

I had a clean fox and a slightly less clean sn95 and while they were fucking awesome there was literally always something wrong with them.

A mustang is plenty good on gas.

>V8 better on gas than a Honda 4cyl
Ok I'm a bus rider but I wasn't born yesterday

It's not like it's a bad car. Personally I'd look at it like whether or not it'd put a hardship on my parents (lower middle class, right?) even if they want to do something nice for you. Also, seems like you've got the drive to be a self-made man. Not to say that you can't accept gifts from your family, but it'd be a sense of pride knowing I did shit on my own. Also I'm assuming your parents don't have ulterior motives to hold it over your head in some way...it's entirely possible they just want you to have something you can trust so you can come home often and they don't know a 3k MT civic will last just as long as the Accord (if not longer) if you maintain it.

tl;dr - I dunno man, make up your own mind.

I wish I had a grandma who still had a car in her possession :(

accords are reliable as fug

also be grateful and accept it gracefully. it's a great car and manual is just that: a meme.

>20+ year old cars having problems
You don't say?

Fellow medfag here, dude those Accords are fantastic daily drivers

Last thing you want is you car to let you down when you're studying 8-12 hours a day, you just won't have time to wrench on it
Ask me how I know

Accords are indeed great cars, I drive an old shitty one with 438k+ miles on it.

BUT

If Accords (and most other late model Hondas) have a weak link, it's the autobox. Recent Honda automatics just aren't that great. Meming aside, I'd look for a manual in any Honda just for the sake of reliability/ease of maintenance. Driving comfort is just a bonus.

If you're on a tight budget, want a manual, and want an economy car, get a Ford Festiva. $500 for a clean manual one. It will get good mpg, cheap insurance, and is a tank as far as the engine and trans go.

>If Accords (and most other late model Hondas) have a weak link, it's the autobox
How so? Honda hasn't had any real issues with their slushboxes since the the paired to V6s around the turn of the century

They're not THAT bad, but still seem to be a common point of failure for people who end up having bad experiences with Hondas.

Admittedly, my experience with this is anecdotal.

Just tell him you'll give 9k cash right now, this second, for the car.

Make sure it's inspected first by your own means. Don't trust the dealer on this.

But yeah, a top trim Accord is very nice, and well worth it. If you really want a manual, get it after you're done school. You'll get a better car, and time to actually enjoy it, instead of loathing it in traffic (I'm in University, the traffic gets insane)

You're right, I'll probably get a brz or something when I graduate in 4 years, at least they'll be cheap by then.

I was planning on maybe having them pay off a down payment (like 3k or something) and financing the rest over like 4 years through my bank, in order to kill 2 birds with one stone; not have my parents pay all of it and raise credit as well. Does that not have as much leverage in haggling?

Also, how would you reccomend I inspect it? A 40k mile 2012 car probably isn't gonna have many obvious issues so if it does have anything wrong with it I wouldn't know where to look. I'm gonna guess it was a lease since that's like 9k miles a year.

I have an i4 2010 ex coupe which is basically the same car, the car is fat and the i4 auto is gutless because the engine takes time to hit the 5k rpm vtec boost because economy gearing, but once it's approaching the 7.2k redline it's quite fast to accelerate.

I don't have paddleshifters but I shift it from D to D3 to prevent shifting into overdrive when going up hills and the car stays torquey constantly getting 26mpg mostly city.

It's a comfy, not completely shitty to drive super reliable vehicle that doesn't look gay. If V6 suddenly you're faster than mustangs, but at least the i4 can beat a Corolla or old Jetta.

Thats pretty good looking in blue user

Do you have the leather seats? Do they start cracking and shit like the cheapo leather honda used to use in the early 2000s?
Also have you had any mechanical problems at all?

>>i4 on a 3 ton car

Pretty sure that car does not weigh 6000 lbs

get the civic, tell your parents to go on holiday and treat themselfs. literally tell them that the money is wasted on you.
then you have a car and happy parents.
but 'eh this is the english way, its not like we made you or anything

I'll pay them back in spades after I finish.
Looking at it without Veeky Forums tinted glasses, the beat up civic is much more likely to break down and give me headaches.

Also I'm gonna be going to a private med school, and I'm sure it's gonna be full of brand new jettas, BMWs etc; I don't wanna be that guy with the shitty car on campus, y'know.
An accord coupe isn't high end by any means, but it's still pretty cool looking car (as long as no one pops open the hood kek)

Oh, and a logistics question for you guys:
Since I'm under 25 my insurance is gonna be expensive as fuck, especially in NY

Would it be possible to add the car under my dad's insurance even if the title and registration is in my name?
Cause it would save a ton of money, obviously I'll pay what I added on.

How hard is it to talk to people? Jesus

Hey i would like something different/in manual

If you don't fell comfortable buying that, i understand

I appreciate your offer to help either way

It'd be cheaper to have it in his name/listed as a coprimary driver or the increase well be the same as if you just bought it and insured it yourself in regulated States like NY and MA

My parents are immigrants user
Thats not how it works around here
I'm in NY.
My plan was to buy it in my name and all that and then have it insured under his plan.
He's not in the country right now so he can't be there at the signing.
So after I buy it I'll call up geico and tell them (as my dad) that my "son" will be coprimary driver?

Any help with this pls?

Manual is a meme don't get that shit in a daily driver

I'm not going with the civic

No mechanical issues but I've had it for 8k miles and it only has 60k..

I had a 99 accord for 7 years and the leather was still in good condition, you just have to condition it, most people don't.

New one has no leather.

Oh cool, the one I'm gonna buy has 48k miles, 2012 ex l.
Seems like I have nothing to be worried about then.

By the way, does that spoiler come standard on the ex (which I guess you have)? It really balances out the longish hood.

Spoiler is an oem clone from spoiler authority, $89 shipped and paid a mechanic $50 to install it nicely. Prepainted by code too

Nice, if I ever have $150 bucks to blow on something this would be it.
I like your 5 spokes too.

Alright, gonna go check it out in the morning.
Here's hoping the dealer will meet me at 9k

Why go for such a low spoiler? A little height, like 4-5 inches, would have made it look nicer.

Because OEM has either that wing spoiler or a lip spoiler. I was looking for an OEM look not after market. Parking it next to someone that dropped $800 at the Honda dealership for their spoiler it's identical.

I don't understand why kids nowadays give THIS much shit about how fucking new a car is, id much rather have a an old 80s/90s Honda with a few mods than a brand fucking new shit box

I don't have the time or money to be wrenching on a shitbox

Don't get me wrong, I would fucking kill for an EG hatch or a del sol to do my commuting in, but it simply isn't possible any more. All these cars are rusted to shit here in the north east, and if they're not then they've been modded and abused by beaners and such.

Also this is basically going to be my last free summer, med school is literally a 24/7 commitment, and other than the periodic oil change I simple don't have the time to work on a car, or be involved in any of my other hobbies even.

THIS
Bought a 99 camry LE for 1k and ive had little problems that werent my fault

Falling for the:
>3k Civic meme
>manual meme

TOP KEK some guys literally take our memes seriously.

Oh man, OP.
You lack even a shred of common sense...

Falling for the two biggest memes on this board...

Going to check it out in a few hours

What should I look for when I pop the hood and during the test drive?
Should I also take it to a mechanic to inspect it or is that a meme?

OP I am in the same situation. I am looking to get a Subaru because of the AWD.

Fuck the manual meme. I've been driving manual for the past 6 years dailying a 8thgen Si. Gets fucking old. It's a gutless car with no trq.

I'd much rather drive that Accord with leather and comfy shit everyday after work. At the end of the day no one cares and you should be grateful the moms is buying you a car babby.

So you should obviously be on your parents plan compared to your own plan since its a coupe and you're under 25. Tell them you drive less than 7500 miles a year, good student discount, and take defensive driving. GEICO will just add you as a driver on your parents policy.

>tfw long throws and a big truck shifter
>tfw only real complaint on my car was the automatic transmission
This is the only way to drive unless you gotta go fast
>don't get a gen 1 explorer user the auto tranny is shit
FUCK YOU ALL

>get an 03 Malibu with like 20k on it from my grandpa
>worth jack shit because nobody wants a Malibu regardless of whether or not it's basically brand new

life is pain

EX-L 09 here (4 months)

wish I had a manuel but I'd probably get pulled over more often

insurance is a bitch though ($470/m, was $525 before).
then again you have your mommy

just get the new car, you can do a manual swap later

OP here
I went to the deal to check it out
After NY taxes, all the fees, insurance etc it'll come out to over 14k. Fuck that

What would you guys choose between these two?

newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/6158789183.html

newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6151370722.html

I'm pretty partial to the corolla myself. Slower, but it looks cleaner and I texted the guy. Has cruise control (CE models seem barebones as fuck) and no accidents.
No clue about the civic

Also the dealer was a super slimy Russian dude that tried to have me leave a deposit

Tell your parents you appreciate the gesture but you'd rather they buy the car you actually want. Getting into your car with regret every day for 5 years can't be worth one awkward conversation. It's proven that getting the present you want makes you much happier than some surprise present

They're fucking adamant on the automatic thing.
Apparently manuals like fucking explode on the highway or something, despite my many attempts to explain that manual is the most reliable transmission despite all the tacos.

I'm just gonna have them pay for insurance I'll buy the car. Probably that corolla