Is learning to drive Manual hard?

Is learning to drive Manual hard?
I see cheap cars around my area but they're all stick shift.
I just want a car for commuting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2LTyiq7mcUw
youtube.com/watch?v=fc61Q_Z4GEs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not hard. I just did it in about a week daily driving a mustang

Did you ever stall out in traffic? How challenging are hills?

Oh for sure lol. I had to have stalled it mid traffic at least 10 times. My mustang has a very weird clutch grab so that might be it. Don't be embarrassed it happens. I would get the basics and drive around for a few days then try tackling hills. I've learned it's better to gun it with too much gas on hills then not enough, especially when people pull up 1cm away from you. You'll get it user, watch thesmokingtire on YouTube tutorial it helped me out. God speed

All just practice my brother

Honestly it's not so bad. Bumper to bumper traffic is the worst thing ever though.

Yes. Nobody says that online since everyone is a pro who were born pro racers. But when you first start out, it will be difficult and frustrating. It all comes down to practice, muscle memory, and dealing with nervousness. Driving in traffic and hills when you're still learning is the hardest part since you will stall.

Europeans have a driving license specifically for manuals and automatics so don't let them bullshit you that only Americans think driving manual is hard either... It will take almost 2 months before you can drive it as smooth as an automatic. Once you don't stall anymore, the rest is just watching a few British driving instruction videos on YouTube and practicing. IGNORE American manual tutorials, they are shit and most of them are kids in their daddy's sports car and won't teach you how to learn anything. Anyway user, good luck and once you learn you will like it a lot. Don't be afraid of it, you'll hate yourself if you don't have any experience and keep stalling in the beginning, but all it takes is time and practice, it's just a car after all.

Not challenging at all if you use the parking brake, that's what I do. I hate having to keep a foot on the brake pedal the parking brake is a godsend

Parking brake isn't necessary and it's a bad habit to form. Just put it in neutral, use the pedal brake. If you are new to driving manual, bring the clutch up to the bite point then take your foot off the brake and start accelerating.

Once you get familiar though, you don't gotta ride the bite point since you'll be quick enough. But ya, parking brake shouldn't be taught to beginners. Just learn to roll back a tiny bit in the beginning.

>select gear
>apply gas
>lift clutch up smoothly, not too fast but not slow
>never stall

>if on hill, apply handbrake when stopped and remove once clutch is most of the way up. Add more gas if you aren't moving enough.

You can even set off in 2nd gear without stalling with a bit more gas.

>bring the clutch up to the bite point then take your foot off the brake and start accelerating
Don't do this, unless you want to stall. Gas first then clutch up don't even give a shit about finding the bite.

Don't listen to this guy.

Becoming reliant on the handbreak is not a good idea

Mate if you're going up a steep hill you want to be using the "parking" brake. Not in any other situations though.

is hard if you're stupid

>If you are new to driving manual, bring the clutch up to the bite point then take your foot off the brake and start accelerating.

Unless you're driving a diesel, or something with an ungodly huge engine in a relatively small car, all that this will accomplish is bogging the engine, probably some bucking, and most likely stalling.

Just lift off the brake, get on the gas and go. If you've driven more than 500 miles in the car you should know where the bite point is already and be able get the pedal there immediately and feather it to take off. Holding the clutch at the bite point in a typical econobox without stalling the motor isn't going to keep you from rolling back, at all, ever. When you have 120 HP and 3300 lbs to move, it really doesn't do much.

>Is learning to drive Manual hard?

No. Very easy. My first experience driving a stick was when I bought one and went to drive it home. Stalled at the first stop light I came to. Within a week had no issues at all.

I second this, especially the part about muscle memory. Every day it gets a little easier until one day you start doing it perfectly without trying

It isnt hard
When my dad and I bought my car, I drove it home. It just takes some time and knowledge of how your car performs to master it

>most countries only drive stick
>even in uk, old ladies, old men, first time drivers and retards drive stick
If you can't learn it, you're litrally a potatoe

>foot on brake and clutch
>shift into 1st
>pull the E-Brake/Handbrake
>foot off the brake and roll on the gas
>you will FEEL the car start to pull against its own handbrake
>little more gas as you drop the handbrake
>off you go!

Hillstarts are easy, but you will fuck them up the first few times. Ignore the horns that assholes blow from their automatics, and STAY CALM! You can get stressed easy when ya first start then it all goes to shit.

>do this
>roll backwards, revving furiously while slamming into the car behind

I never use the e-brake for hillstart. While my foot is on the brakes, I let the clutch out and once it grabs, I take my foot off the brake and give it some gas then take my foot off the clutch.
I do roll back with this technique, but it's just a few inches. It's best to practice this on a small incline where there is nobody behind you.

Most important thing is to stay calm and not panic. If you stall on a hill, just hit the brakes, and start over. There's a reason they say hillstarts will make a man out of you. It's where you find out if you're someone who buckles under pressure or can stay calm and do what they need to do

Almost every modern car now have hill-assist so you don't have to worry about hills unless you live in an area with steep-ass hills like SF.
What helped me the most when I started out was to test the clutch in an empty parking lot by applying and releasing the clutch, just enough so that the car rolls forward on its own without using the gas. Do this for a while or until you're somewhat comfortable with it then start applying the gas.

>Almost every modern car now have hill-assist
did women start making manual cars?

It's so easy they don't even really have to teach it to you at driving school unless you've never driven any car in any situation before and do not understand what the pedals do. You might stall a couple of times on standing starts but you get the hang of it very soon. When you learn to drive smoothly you can introduce fun things like double clutching and rev matching on downshifts to spice things up. Modern cars don't require either of those but it's fun to spice things up and keep driving engaging.
>tfw you get a perfect downshift and the shifter just slips in like a lubed dick

>using handbrake for hill starts
Come on now.

have fun fucking with your e-brake

>he doesn't apply 1st in park

What about paralel parking?

shouldn't be a problem unless it's a hueg V8

>Parking brake isn't necessary and it's a bad habit to form
This is why the poster above correctly recommends ignoring burgers who 'teach' driving manuals. The handbrake is the first control you operate after coming to a stop and the last one you operate before moving off.

>I do roll back with this technique
>I'm sorry sir, you failed the test

If you're stopped for any appreciable amount of time you will be using the handbrake and in neutral anyway.

My half retarded sister in law daily drives a 5 speed Saturn so no its not hard.

>half retarded
does that mean one in two of her parents are fully retarded?

Why? That's exactly how you do it.

Can't you drive?

>Is learning to drive Manual hard?

No. People have been driving manual for most of the history of the automobile. The average person should be able to be proficient with some practice.

That said, there are some people that may find it difficult. These people are either amputees, suffer some kind of crippling dyslexia, or are just the type of people who can't be bothered to put any effort into anything that they do.

Read it again and see what's missing m8.

>'you will FEEL the car pull'
If you're on about not saying to let off clutch, you're a moron. Can't pull unless it's already at biting point, which would imply clutch control.

Try to be less pedantic m8

Bro everyone has their own way of driving stick. Just do you man. Clutches die and everyone has their own theories to prevent this, just be as gentle as you can and you'll figure shit out through trial and error.

Just do you and tune out all this bullshit 'advice'

>don't do this
>still roll backwards and shit pants because new at stick

>hey guys how do I do X?
>well, just learn to do X how you like to do X and ignore everyone else telling you how to do X
wat? Most of the advice here is solid apart from the tryhard idiots telling him not to use the EBrake on hillstarts

No different than with an automatic. It might even be slightly better, because you might naturally drift forward/backward by momentum alone (when clutched in), so you don't have to shift back and forth for micromovements like automatics

Parallel parking on an incline is a bit of a bitch though

This thread is relevant since I want to get a new car and I am determined to get a manual. Would it be easier for me to learn since i already ride a motorcycle and understand how to use a clutch?

My biggest fear is missing a gear and converting the engine to Islam

>mfw passed UK test a week ago
>mfw no hill start involved in it
>mfw 60hp shitbox

Thank God for that.

Doubt it would help you past not needing to look at a YouTube video on how to use a clutch. Save you about 10 mins maybe??

Honesty it's easy as fk, just get in the car and try it. Within 30 mins you'll be fine. Within the day you'll be ready for hill starts and shit.

>miss a gear
This only happens if your driving like a teenager who thinks his civic is a Lamborghini. Just shift smoothly and you're fine.

>be britbong
>drive illegally for years coz I'm a scummy northerner & couldn't afford that shit
>immigrate to USA
>end up in rural Ohio
>decided to just 'try' the driving test to see how many lessons I'll need to pass it
>mfw I had to drive maybe 500ft tops
>mfw on one of the four turns I went the wrong way and passed anyway
>mfw the hardest part was reversing between cones set so far apart you could park a bus in them

Now I know why you fuckin yanks can't drive, the standard is listeally 'do you have hands, feet and eyes?'

Now live in Houston and the driving is even worse... every time I go back to visit my folks it's like I'm driving with professionals who care about me, just because they're not trying to kill me.

EZ PZ

OP I just learned to drive manual a year ago and I'm willing to answer your questions.

Is it hard? Not at all, specially if you are driving the car you like.

Stalling in traffic is something that WILL HAPPEN, specially the first time you try driving with other cars around, but you just learn from your mistakes.

I also learned in a Mustang, mine was a 2011 v6 that I still use. What about yours friend?

>mfw I once did a steep hillstart in second without sliding
>in a s2000
p sure the clutch almost died that day

>roasted clutch
Dat smell tho

moneyshifting isn't a thing that happens unless you're a retard. really the toughest thing to get used to is double clutching, and that's really easy, too. jerking off requires more skill and technique desu

alex is this u fag

test driving and normal driving are two different things, that's the first thing i was told on my european driving course. Theory lessons was all about "so yeah, this is how you do it, but when you'll pass the test do it differently because you'd be a bother in traffic".

Although it makes sense to teach(force) e-brake version, hillstart based on taking clutch to the biting point might not be enough on really steep places and then you stall. Of course you can kind of heel-toe then, but that's not exactly the kind of thing you can teach 17yo girl who wants driving license for her birthsday.

no, it's instinct after some time. You'll surely stall at first, but it won't last for long. Every retard in europe has to drive stick to pass the exam, if average european woman can do it, so can you.

Yes, it's hard, only the brain of a superior european can handle it, be cautious.

>no handbrake
>no tachometer
>accelerator pedal is a few inches lower than the brake pedal, can't use both with one foot at the same time

Hill starts fucking scare me, guys. Even rolling back a few inches will send me into the bumper of the soccer mom in the Cayenne or Escalade behind me.

What kind of car doesn't have a handbrake?

It has a handbrake, the cable is just broken and is still being shipped. But it'll be another week before it gets here, so...

Should you always shift into neutral when coming to a complete stop, or can you just put it into first and keep the clutch depressed until you're ready to go again?

>He brake
Men, you only need brakes + clutch
I don't get how many people have so much troubles.

yes and yes

both are right

put it into neutral if you need to rest your feet

I never use the handbrake, am I doing it wrong? Normally it's
>foot on brake, car in neutral
>green light
>foot on clutch, shift to 1st
>quickly to the throttle and off the clutch

I rock back just a little but it's no big deal, even on steep ass hills. Unless you mean PARKING on a hill and then trying to go from that, I imagine that would be a new nightmare.

It's not hard at all. You should learn on a motorcycle first. I never stalled when I first drove a manual car.

Yes, put it into neutral. Keeping it in gear puts extra wear on your release bearing.

of course its not wrong, but the ability to properly start with the handbrake has its advantages in certain situations like:
>driving a car that you are not used to or that is full seated and has a small engine
>some idiot is coming way to close to a hold right behind you
>snow on the road
in these cases its usually better to start with a handbrake since you are able to start of more gentle. i would recommend to at least try it out a couple of times so you know how to do it if you have to. you will end up starting without even moving an inch back even in the worst conditions.

But it's literally the same, except instead of using the foot brakes, you use the hand brake.
It's really easy both ways to be honest.

Any questions OP?

The amount of wear is Soo meaningless it really doesn't matter, and it's not the fact that he is keeping in gear but that he is pressing the clutch all the time.

OP, I well VERY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS.
You see, driving manual is all about muscle memory and because of that you get a costume to your car so, never EVER let someone mess around with your seat, it will fuck you up big time.

shoot you got me. see you at school

I've been driving manuals for around 25 years. Hill Assist is the gayest damn thing they have come up with yet. It will really screw up your timing on taking off. Thanks for the robot brakes fuckers...

I practice both, using the e brake adds another layer and makes it more fun

>
>But it's literally the same, except instead of using the foot brakes, you use the hand brake
Did you even read my comment? Its not the same, period. Its no problem in most situations with your own car. Try it with a 45 hp Corsa with 5 people in it that you havent driven before. You will either roll back a good amount or strain the clutch where it is not necessary.

Can you learn using the Logitech G29?

it doesn't have a handbrake but i don't think it's a terrible idea

Well, I guess underpowered cars with heavy loads may need it, ok user, I get your point.
You should get something with more torque though.

>Europeans have a driving license specifically for manuals and automatics
Do we have that? Never heard of it. Maybe 1 or 2 countries do that, but i wouldnt call it europe

>Europeans have a driving license specifically for manuals and automatic
no we don't
t. french

Why use the handbrake when you can just let off the clutch and the foot brake at the same time or just a little after.

You'll probably tell me this is ruining my clutch but I don't give a fuck, it's a shitbox.

In Ireland if you do your test in a manual, you can drive both. If you do it in an auto, you can only drive autos.

Here's a good quality youtube channel showing you clutch control

youtube.com/watch?v=2LTyiq7mcUw

youtube.com/watch?v=fc61Q_Z4GEs

that's a super recent thing, most people drive manuals anyway.
Auto licence is for fuccbois who give 0 fucks about driving and just want a shitty autotragic commuter car.
Most people do manual liscence in case they want an manual or need to drive a manual car t some point.

Honestly learning to manual is not hard, it's just extremely embarassing.
Practise basic motions in a shut off car.
Then take it around parking lot and practice changing up and being in right gear for corner.

I've been driving manual for past 1k miles and double clutch is difficult to do perfectly. Taking offis almost okay but I still sometimes stall and forget to switch to neutral before turning on car or grind reverse.

No, that's not how it works. By definition you learn in a manual, and the regular license allows you to drive anything. Only if you physically can't, or specifically state you want to learn in an auto, then you get a special license that only allows you to drive automatics.

my first hillstart was a burnout.

It's not HARD it just takes time and dedication
Practice in an empty parking lot for a few hours a night until you can perfectly take off.
The hardest thing is learning how to get the car going everything else you can learn as you go.

I just want to say FUCK those assholes who pull up 10cm from your ass on an inclined turnoff. If I roll back a bit and mess up your fucking bumper it's your own goddamn fault.

seconding these, they are comfy as fuck

I've tried driving manual a few times. Once I got the fucking thing out of 1st, it was pretty easy. Of course, I've never driven in traffic or on a hill. I also can't inch forward little by little consistently without stalling. I would like to get the hang of it and daily drive it, but it's my mom's car, and she says it has low visibility, so it's not safe for her baby boy. Like, bitch, I don't give a fuck. I'm a depressed memelord without the balls to end it all myself. I don't give a fuck about visibility.

Is the car old? I learned to drive manual in a 25 year old 4wd Land Rover with 500kk on it, and learning to deal with the busted old clutch was at least 60% of the difficulty. The clutch would have no resistance until it was about halfway off the floor, then it would kick you in the foot like a mule. Trying not to drop it was a massive pain.

Germany has it, which pretty much is the EU which pretty much is Europe :^)

When in doubt, more gas is always the answer.

>my hometown was in the captcha image

The thing everyone forgets is if you learnt to drive in a manual, yes it's easy. If you didn't and you've been driving 5 years it's going to be tough to get used to.

Can confirm.

Will be 24 this year and just got my first manual this year and I still get nervous as fuck the second other drivers are around me.

Really wish I would have learned stick first, would tell anyone else learning soon to learn stick first if possible also.

I bet you hate starters too. Real men use hand cranks, right?

Fucking faggot.

For you user
>Steps to git gud at stick

Step 0(Empty space)
>Find an empty parking lot or somewhere with lots of space for you to fuck around
>Even better if it has a flat section and a slight hill somewhere
>Find spectators so they can laugh as you fail to do the next steps

Step1 (Learn bite point)
>let out clutch slowly till car starts to creep forward
>Get car moving on flat surface without using throttle
>Do this without stalling out

Step 2 (Throttle control)
>Now that you know where clutch grabs
>Same as step one but use throttle this time
>Slowly add throttle as you are letting clutch out (how much throttle depends car to car)
>Repeat until you can go from stopped to moving without being jerky as fuck

Step 3 (Hill Starts)
>Learn to do step 2 while on an incline without rolling backwards
>This is pretty much the same as step 2 but you will roll backwards if you are not fast enough
>add throttle while getting to bite point quickly

(Bitchmode Hillstarts)
>Usehandbrake to prevent rolling backwards
>Same as step 3

Step 4 (Downshifting)
>Learn what the RPM difference between gears
>Learn to blip throttle for desired RPM
>Match RPM with gear you want
>Go down 1 gear (5th-4th/4th-3rd)
>I'm almost a racecar driver mode down 2 gears on one blip
>Practice till you can do this not jerky as fuck

Step 5(Pracetice Practice Practice)
>Go drive
>Go drive more
>Keep doing all these things till you can do them without thinking about it

Step 6 (I'm fucking Dagumi now)
>Now that you can drive and are not jerky as fuck
>Heel Toe Dopwnshift
>Same as step 4
>Left half of ball of foot on brake
>While pushing brake either roll side of foot to blip throttle or twist and use heel to blip throttle (depends on car and pedal distance/setup) do whatever works for you there isnt a right way to do it
>Get the gear you want
>you now down a gear/slowed down and ready to go WOT out of the turn.
>foot off brake and onto throttle

I just got a standard yesterday and I've been spending time just driving around my neighborhood, slowly getting more adventurous, going to busier spots.
My question is, most of the time I see that I will have to stop up ahead, I just go straight to neutral and use the pedal brake to come to a stop from my current speed.
Is this fine? how often should I be downshifting?

I felt more comfortable learning stick after driving automatic.

I knew the rules of the road very well, and had experienced driving on them for years.

So, stepping into a manual was just that easy, I had all the focus on driving manual, and not on driving.

Fucking ameritards and something that takes cognitive capacity.

You don't get cars, you don't get music and you don't get food.

they don't get darwin and democracy either, why try and reason with these inbreds.

Omg. Foot on the brake and one on the clutch, shift to 1st gear and SLOWLY let go of the clutch until you feel it grab. Then SLOWLY let your foot off the brake and see if it stays (you will get a feeling of this in time, it will take less than one second). Then you give it a bit of throttle and release the clutch also SLOWLY.

Do NOT use your fucking hand brake like some fucking retard american who's been "blessed" with too many chromosomes

True story. Us Brits got Darwin on our money whilst they've got "IN GOD WE TRUST" and mandatory flag saluting like the good like goyim they are.

I fell for it again please forgive mate

Anyone who uses handbrake to get moving on hills is a pleb i just keep my foot on the brake and when it's time to move i quickly step on the accelerator while letting out the clutch it's not hard

Git gud

Or this indeed. You roll down 30cm max.

but you've got to both know how to DRIVE, and know your car. None of which known to ameritards

Don't have a license yet but I have lots of experience with manuals.

For some reason here in Greece, everyone drives a manual and If you drive an auto, you are looked down upon from other drivers.

I learned to drive from my dad (he owns a Peugeot 306 maxi or whatever).

Also, has anyone tried riding a bike in this thread? Rode my dads Kawasaki Pegasus the other day. Unfortunately I am too unfamiliar with bikes so I couldn't handle it. Any tips for riding a bike?