Welder questions

I'm looking to get into learning how to weld, but I'm confused about the difference between 110v and 220v welders. Are 110v welders only for light welding work like quarter panels, and I'd need a 220v for welding bigger stuff like roll cages and frames?

Yes

No
Roll cages are typically .083-.125 (1/16-1/8 inch)
1/4" roll cages are shit in NASCAR where you get t-boned at 195mph.
Fames vary a lot.
Subframes on a unibody chassis are no problem.
If you're planning on extending a freightliner, its not gonna happen.
A '57 belair would not be an issue with a good 110v.

A good 110v will do 3/16".
Notice that I said "good".
A used (and functioning) miller from the pawn shop will always be better than a brand new unit from home depot or harbor fright.

Just looked at millers website, they have a 110v that will do 3/8"

most 220v have a better duty cycle.

op should know, thinner metals are much more difficult to weld well than thick. they are a lot less forgiving.

there are a lot of opinions, but frankly i would take a colder weld on a car, especially the body than one with a big old heat affected zone, it just makes the metal weaker.

110v welders go up to about 90-125 amps depending on the machine. So you're looking at like up an 1/8th thick material (or more depending on the process, flux core can go thicker on 110)

220v is literally just two 110 lines merged together so you can go higher amps.

pic is my welds

He doesn't need a 100% duty cycle.
He'd do fine with a 35%. Hell, even 15% he'd never overheat.
He's not production.
Sheet metal on a car is a bitch to do without warpage.
Unfortunately lead fill is a lost art.

In case anyone is curious, my little miller 220v (just one of my welders) only pulls 17 amps peak.

sheet metal i brazed sometimes, but that can warp it too, brazing really makes a big heat zone too.
i heard flux core works better on sheet metal?

I don't see how flux core would be better on sheet metal, not very likely. Spot welding with tig would be the best process

Squelching with a wet rag instantly while doing stitch welds with 4x distance between them, repeating from the starting point until all is filled was the best method I've come across. Need to have your heat at the bare minimum.
Trigger welding one spot at a time works best but is insanely time consuming.

>17 amps
What are you welding with it? Paper clips?

>doesnt know how inverter technology works
neat. did you know a 30amp breaker can produce 200 amps out of a welder?

Flux core produces more heat than solid+gas. For thin sheet metal you want solid and gas so you don't accidentally burn through, if you use flux you'll be working EXTREMELY slowly to prevent melting everything.

The extra heat from flux core makes it good for thicker stuff though.

Flux core sucks for body work

You don't need 220v for anything on a car unless you are welding the frame on a 1 ton truck and have to do it quickly. A 110v MIG with a bottle can do everything you need to do on a car.

Uh huh. Then why don't we have unlimited energy? Dumbass

because jews

If you have 220v availability at all in your shop I see no reason not to get a 220v welder if not for flexibility alone. If you ever really get into the art of welding you will grow to want to do a lot more then weld up some subframe connectors on a car.

What about shortening an axle tube?
The metal is thiccccc

I wouldn't quench with a rag, that will shrink the metal, it's already shrinking when you weld it and that will just make it worse.

>If you have 220v availability at all in your shop I see no reason not to get a 220v welder if not for flexibility alone.

This, get a 220v.

It doesn't shrink, it expands.
I've been doing customs for 25 years.
This is fabrication 101.
Most homes (hell, even apartments) have a 220v plug for the clothes dryer.

AFAIK US residential all have split phase.

It all depends on the quality of the welder. If you get something like a Miller Cricket or Miller 211 you could really get some stuff done.

would recommend 220 and a skilled hand

Welds shrink sheet metal dude... this is fabrication 101 lol
This is why you can shrink metal with a torch or shrinking disc

how tf can you be fabricating for 25 years and not know what welding panels together shrinks it

spoiler alert.

This is Veeky Forums and he has never welded anything in his life.

sheep land here

normal wall socket that runs tiny MIG wielder only for sheet metal use
240 vac 10 amp

oven wall socket that some people hack up to use with slightly stronger MIG
240 vac 15 amp

three phase plugs that run full size MIG welders and also most TIG welders
500 vac 32 amp

what kind of plugs do American ppl need to run 220 vdc ?

>what kind of plugs do American ppl need to run 220 vdc ?

Usually a dryer or range plug like this. 240v@50a.

neat
looks like nema 14-50p
I'm not up to date with newer wiring types
and plugs types have proliferated since I last checked
but some ranges of plug seem equivalent

AU2-15P
NEMA 6-15

AU3-20P
NEMA 6-20

extra

We're talking about after the weld is complete m80, not when actually melting metal

I've been looking into the Miller 215. I do need to weld a frame horn, but only have 110.

Will it be easy to learn how to weld? I have watched videos on YouTube.

watch weldingtipsandtricks, you'll learn fast if you actually have a welder on hand to play with

Fluxcore is garbage for sheet metal work, you'll spend a lot of time cleaning and fixing blow through.

Cummy is that you

Yes, mods banned my trip for 3 days

Nigga you posted that image months ago. Don't tell me you cut the ends of the axle off without a plan to put it back on.

Dude that axle was welded back together and in the car when I spun out in that webm, that shit is old as fuck