Is car audio still big?

Seems the high school crowd doesn't bump like back in the day. Yeah it's annoying as fuck, but a good sub, crystal clear speakers, and your favorite tunes makes for a good ride. Is dub step officially dead?

I've been finding some songs that just nEED 500 watts of bass to be enjoyed properly.

Other urls found in this thread:

caraudionow.com/best-shallow-mount-subwoofers
pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow Mount/TS-SW2502S4
mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lifted trucks are the thing now.

Maybe next time.

mostly these days I see rednecks with big subs in their bubba tanks blasting rap, however I try to stay away from the nigger sides of town where I'm sure it's still common

only in second hand stores and pawn shops
I could pick up some nice gear if It did not look so thrashed old and stolen

Like 5 years ago I would always hear people bumping. Now it's maybe once or twice a month. Most people just leave earbuds in their ears and don't even use their stereos now.

A lot of the old school car audio companies are gone now. Memphis and MB Quartz got bought out by a chinese company, Rockford Fosgate went the cheap chinese parts route, and Alpine is on the verge of bankruptcy. Also, modern day cars have much better stock stereos now. Back in the 90s, stock stereos were utter garbage so going aftermarket made sense.

High school crown doesn't drive these days. It's only people who love music and insist on accurate reproduction who want to bother with subwoofers nowadays.

Lots of people just listen to things really quietly or even just sit in bloody silence

only if you own car audio shop. millenialls dont drive. rather uber does it for them. dubstep been dead since the 90s. time to give upo your extacy and glow sticks dude

There's a niche market for it. If you've gone some shitheap drivers lying around you can pop them in an otherwise junky car and get a lot more money for it than you otherwise would. Mostly from the blacks though, if you're trying to sell to whites then consider installing a vape.

I still enjoy messing with speakers, and of course bass. it's another thing to tinker with, and since i'm driving alot I get to enjoy the work I put in

Making sub boxes is also fun

Yes, plenty of people aren't happy with stock systems, have older cars with shitty or missing stereos, and of course those who simply enjoy piecing one together.

Pic related is behind the seat in my truck now, 2 10" pioneer shallows wired to 2ohm, pushing 600 to them from a Kenwood 900.5 5 channel amp with 5 1/4" Focal PS 130V's, woofers down in the doors and tweeters mounted up in the dash where the factory 3" speakers were. Also have a set of cheapo 4" Alpine coaxials in the factory cab corner mounts just because I had them laying around.

>Alpine is on the verge of bankruptcy
fugg time to ramp up my plans before I have to buy everything second hand

Todays highschool kids are retarded and dont know how to hook up car systems, and if they manage they use some shitty kicker speakers

Dubstep wasn't even big in the 90's, it's been recent years it took off dingus.

>inb4 skrillex

2 step garage ?

All the dumb ass kids in my school carry around stereo faceplates that they rip from their moms van

>tfw I just throw mine in the lockable glove box

I only listen to NPR and talk radio podcasts.

its all stancefag and shit

talking radio can wear out speakers very quickly
take care

I got 5.1 surround sound but no impressive subwoofer

Maybe I'll look into getting one

Uh huh.

>5.1 in a car

PFFFFT AH HA HAH A HA

there are some ok shallow mount sub woofers now
caraudionow.com/best-shallow-mount-subwoofers
the old type does not have much travel
and still slim types are kind of weak unless you exploit room gain

They will always be weak, they're a bandaid to a 'niche' problem, not a solution. Not saying they're bad, but they generally cost twice as much for half the oomph.

>he laughs
for what raisin

did I goof

the other way is to mount sub on a baffle
and use the truck or car as an enclosure
takes up less space than a box

pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow Mount/TS-SW2502S4

2 of these flex the back of my cab in my truck, sure, a shallow is never going to replace a proper subwoofer, but plenty of people don't have any other options.

>the 2 in my truck flex the back of my cab at 3/4 volume

Only real downsid is they lose their oomph around 26hz or so, but for a sealed shallow they're great.

we bumpin

There's no point even to rear speakers if all you care about is what you can hear. They only benefit rear seat passengers.

It's a car. The speakers go where speakers go and there are various things in the way blocking the sound waves from going to your ear

mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm
26 Hz comes out as being 13.2 meters long
wonder if that's how far away one has to be to hear it properly
and that people inside cars are hearing the car vibrating and not the speaker cones themselves

could be the trapezoidal boxes
but I have found JBL ES80 speakers that only really deliver bass when im standing 3.9 meters away
so something like 90 hz if the numbers line up

Oh neat, thanks for that info

I'd like to hold onto muh trunk space (groceries man) and I'm not big on bumping, so this might actually be decent enough

Yeah and this is probably why I haven't ever given much thought into getting more bass; I don't like going half-way on things, so I would want a good subwoofer, but I need the space sometimes and I've got bigger priorities to focus on for an aging car

Full disclosure, I'm no audiophile, but I can definitely hear my rear speakers and the surround sound, so I don't understand what you mean.
I think you just gotta make sure you balance it for the front driver seat and not the middle of the car

Perceived direction and altitude of source is calculated in our heads by variations of pitch, reflected by our ears and the environment.
The 'surround' sound effect can be done quite well with properly positioned stereo outputs and software, but the room plays a large part.

In a car it's just a shitshow, like a mirror maze for our eyes but for our ears. The best you can do is 2.1, to whatever your tastes are in regards to frequency response.

I've got a 10" infinity in the boot of my Miata NA so I can't talk, I've got an 18" oldschool stroker in my media room, but it's tuned to 40Hz so again I can't talk.
For sure. I've been thinking about doing my best to seal up my boot space as best I can and using the parcel tray through to the brakelights as the enclosure.

Sorta. That's just how long the wave is, you hear it as it's traveling past you. 'Sweet spot' might ring a bell, so might standing waves. Sound waves bounce off walls very easily. If a soundwave is 12m long, you're in a 12m long room but sitting halfway, what do you perceive when both the 1st reflected wave from behind and the 2nd from the speakers hits you simultaneously? What if the room is 16m long?
If you get a positive and throw a negative at it, you cancel it out. If you're standing in the sweet spot of the room where you get hit by 2 positives, you get that really strong bass feeling.

Goddamn I talk shit when I've been drinking.

keep the treble speakers pointed at you and close
mid range can be off to the side
sub as far away as you can get it
at lest that is the pattern

higher frequency is more easily obstructed and reflected

>Goddamn I talk shit when I've been drinking.
we esoteric now
there is a 213 meter long pedestrian tunnel I could try this out in
but the elevator operator might get upset lol

>Todays highschool kids are retarded
Many feel that only passing courses is good enough. A lot of that is due to the majority of teachers only treating what they do as a well-paid job with tenure. Class sizes have shrunk a lot but the quality has gone down as a whole because merit isn't needed to advance to the next grade.

Teachers bare minimum have to teach what will be in the test. If it's not in the test, it's a waste of time.TM.

I wanted to learn more, read more and do more, so I had to do it all myself. Naturally, I'm now a lazy sack of unmotivated shit.

My only problem with sub in the boot is that on a miata, it's actually a separate enclosure that's connected only by a large sheet of metal. Mostly I'm just getting cabin gain by resonating the entire chassis. Massive dropoff above 90Hz and a HUGE peak at 60 or so.

>miata
makes me wonder about weight distribution
like how some Lamborghini countach have alpine subs in them

for my hatch back a bit more weight in the back is fine given that is where your groceries are meant to be
the torsion beams are set up to prefer part loading

>it's actually a separate enclosure that's connected only by a large sheet of metal.
before strict warrant of fitness requirements were introduced people would cut holes though structural members like that

>Massive dropoff above 90Hz and a HUGE peak at 60 or so.
nice
sounds like your current set up has its perks

you could also find some Subaru sub woofer second hand
in sedans they are under the seat and the wagons have them somewhere in the back

Hardly anyone in high school even has a car much less one that they care enough about to modify or put that much money into. For most people, they just use the stock head unit and if they need to, one of those fucking cassette adapters. They don't care about the quality of the sound, they just want to be able to sort of hear their music as opposed to what's on the radio. Some people do have aftermarket head units, but 90% of the time it's on the stock speakers and they just had the guy at best buy install it. They don't call them a headunit, they call it an "aux radio" (pronounced awks) and often it's the cheapest shit possible.

t. Highschool student

for a miata it is best to get really good door speakers and leave it at that

and there are some after market under seat subs to choose from
their look does make me giggle a bit tho

Most audiophiles I know are sailing instructors and public transport operators.

in my case they are electricians and railway engineers

People are into video games and phones nowadays.

I'm still into it. Always liked the light-up shit.