Be honest Veeky Forums.

Have you ever hydroplaned in the rain?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w-HKSWf5xso
youtube.com/watch?v=xdHwuBbyu74
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes

Not knowingly.

Many times. Mostly when doing a lane change.

I have, but ive never lost control of the car.

This

youtube.com/watch?v=w-HKSWf5xso

>good tires prevent you from hydroplaning early
>but will force you to hydroplane for longer

>bad tires allows you to hydroplane early
>but will recover from sooner

Yeah, got traction back shortly before getting on the oncoming lane.

only when accelerating away from a stop sign a bit too quick in the rain, never actually hydroplaned while driving at speed in a dangerous situation

Yes and totalled my car

but the lady pulled out in front of me so I tried to stop. insurances said my fault cuz i lost control

really says something about how safe new cars are

Yeah.

I have 5 years experience drifting cars - seriously like 3rd and 4th gear drifts followed by immediate downshifts into hairpins...

...and whenever I hydroplane in traffic its genuinely unsettling. Never lost control but it gives you an adrenaline rush if you aren't expecting it.

only once when i was a teen, had bald tires and took a corner a little to fast in the rain. did a complete 180 and parked parallel with the curb. didnt hit anything and nobody saw so i just continued with my day. scared me a little

>Bad tires will allow you to recover more quickly

False.
Where do these idiots come from!?!

>bought new-to-me shitbox
>tires were bretty gud so I wasn't worried
>speeding to work in the rain
>usually can catch this yellow light if I time it right
>turns earlier than I was expecting
>racecar downshift-brake
>wheels lock up
>not slowing down and briefly don't understand why
>oh fug
>release brake to get wheels rolling again and then brake normally

It's a good thing nobody was in front of me I guess. But if they were, it never would have happened in the first place because I wouldn't be trying to catch the light.

>first week of owning a rwd manual
>Make a 15mph turn on an intersection after it rained
>Almost 180 in front of a bunch of people
Embarrassing

>less water, less space
>more water, more space

pulling the E brake on your gay civic doesn't count as drifting.

>projecting

>be new to driving
>going too fast
>light goes red
>slam breaks
>hydroplane
>car turns 90 degrees
>continue hydroplaning
>stop before the line at intersection

Nice

Yes.

On a bridge over the very wide Trent River in New Bern North Carolina, joyriding in my new-to-me Mercedes 300E while my parents were out of town.

And that was the day I learned that RWD is terrible for any inclement weather.

lol you stupid faggot, it doesn't matter what wheel drive you have, they all hydroplane.

Then why have I never hydroplaned in superior FWD?

Oh yeah.
>told two weeks ago by my tire guy that tires on my S2000 weren't going to pass inspection.
>procrastination.gif
>be last week
>rains like fuck
>almost midnight and I'm on the freeway heading home from my parent's house.
>guardrail on right, car-shredding high tension cable barrier on left
>heading for wide left before bridge over 30 drop into river
>log truck on side of freeway with emergency flashers on
>huh
>goddamn lake of standing water covering both lanes
>well fuck
>too late to slow down, hit it at about 70
>100% boatmode, completely skimming
>hold wheel straight
>resist urge to micro correct or start left turn
>get out of throttle
>resist urge to brake with the force of a thousand suns
>somehow manage to regain traction prior to spinning or missing turn straight off the bridge
>40mph max with flashers rest of the way home
>white as ghost
>pants full of shit

If I'd gone over that bridge it would've been game over. Water was high and fast from all the rain and who fucking knows how long it would've been before anyone could've gotten down there to help me IF I had even survived the fall at all.

The takeaway lesson isn't even don't procrastinate on maintenance. I doubt tires would've made an appreciable difference here. The lesson is don't be an anxious dumbass. Take your time especially when conditions are bad and visibility is shit.

>He thinks all drive-types hydroplane in the same conditions
Shouldn't you be in school, kid?

Fuck yes, I do it intentionally. There's a long stretch of highway near my house that's all messed from dumptrucks/transport trucks. There's big ruts/wells on one side from the road sinking down due to weight, so it fills up like a trough full of water in heavy rain.

I usually floor it when it's pouring rain to see if I can get some mad glidez going on. You should how people in the other lane freak out lol.

I love how the fucking camera is his first point of focus. Doesn't even check to see if he's bleeding or anything, just wants to make sure the camera caught his cowardly screams in HD.

are you the user with the worn s2000?

Nah... my Mercedes always had good tires on it and I was always careful when coming to areas with puddles

The Hilux... not a chance with these tires

Yes, see

Not me (at least I don't think it is). With the exception of the shit OEM vinyl top mine's pretty cherry. 2007 in Rio Yellow with 66,000 miles. Never posted it here.

Bald tires = wider surface area for water to accumulate

Good tires = sipes to siphon off water and throw it out from under the tire

You know those tiny little slits in your tire's surface aren't just for show, right? They legitimately stop you from dying every time you drive at higher speeds.

But realistically OP just needs to swap out his tires for A/T or M/T truck tires, and swap out his cuckwagon for a 5,000lbs beast that destroys puddles instead of gliding over them.

because you learned your lesson and haven't fucked up as hard since then.
FWD- hydroplane results in understeer
RWD- hydroplane results in oversteer
AWD- hydroplane admittedly less likely since at least one of the tires will probably retain traction, but possible

Shit weather doesn't play favorites.

Ah, pic related was the S2K I was thinking about.

This. In a pickup with an empty bed is when it's happened to me

That makes me pretty sad actually.

Looked even worse high res but I can't find the thread it was posted in, it's the most miserable looking sports car I have seen.

There some minor rutting on the highways in my area. The indentations are slight, but during heavy rain water tend to pool. I've hydroplaned a few times at pretty high speed. Losing steering ain't cool. I've since downgraded to a less sporty tire and no longer have issues.

>on way to uni
>5:30 am
>raining
>going 120/100
>see traffic lights
>in a 100k zone because fuck you, that's why
>all green
>maintain speed
>lights change
>not close enough to drive through them
>still going 120 with fuck all stopping distsnce
>apply brakes
>brakes lockup
>abs does nothing
>never happened before so i don't back off the brakes
>skids4dayz.gif
>come to a perfect screeching halt
>literally slid 10 meters

I shingo'd in the rain actually

>traffic lights in a 100kmh zone

What the fuck where do you live?

NZ.

LMAO what a gigantic faggot
how can MrCumrag even compete?

i did on my longboard once which was pretty wild

and a couple times on motorbikes

never in a car that i recall

>automatic Ford C-Max

i love your car

Once recently, it was raining pretty heavy and I was driving a road where I regularly do some spirited driving. Decided to be dumb and take it a little fast, hit some water in a curb lost control but corrected it in the corner.

Also
Hey there fellow 252'er

I have

Over here in Seattle some of the used highways have grooves where the tires wear away the highway. When it rains, some sections fill with water and basically become puddle ditches which make you hydroplane when you hit them at 60mph

No, but I'm also not one to take chances since I'm a poorfag

That's Confucius ya dummy

The only time I came close to losing control was with a shit transmission in an e65 in heavy rain on the highway at 80+.

I've only hydroplaned very briefly numerous of times; usually enough to allow me to release the throttle to regain traction.

This
>tfw I can just floor it in the rain and do a fat burnout with no risk of spinning out because FWD

You're actually fucking retarded

Yeah it happens every now and then. Driving in rain doesn't bother me at all. The only time I get nervous when hydroplaning is when I'm in the right lane on a two lane road, because of some of the roads where I live are bowed and water will cover between the curb and the high side of the road. It's almost like a moat. If you hydroplane on that you get sucked into the curb really quickly and there's nothing you can do until you regain traction.

Good tires and not driving fast in inclement weather will prevent you from hitting anything, but for those couple seconds you lose control it sucks

Yep when I first got my firebird back when I was fresh out of highschool the tires were bald and I spun out. Nearly shit my self in the process.

Here's mine for the record. My little yellow almost coffin.

Was actually a toyota matrix but ok

No it's a pontiac vibe

Not enough to actually notice
just hit a puddle or two, and tried accelerating on the freeway in rain
fwd a safe

did it while holding change (and the wheel) in one hand and a drink in the other. stability control saved my ass. wasnt even going fast

A few times, but only due to shitty spots on I-5, Hwy 99 and Hwy 530, where there's mini lakes that'll show up sometimes. Never bothered me much, I drive an old pickup with zero safety nannies, my seatbelt is just the shoulder strap as the PO cut the lower belt off because it locked up, all metal cab and no protection, so if I wreck I die.

>driving down 99 one night doing about 65mph
>steering wheel goes numb
>back of truck begins to drift on me
>feather throttle and hold wheel
>continue about night at 65 once I regain traction
Doesn't really phase me, shit happens in some areas, the only times I have issues in rain is leaving lights if the bed is empty, I can manage my way through tight turns without loss of traction, though I take quite a few intentionally sideways because of how easy it is to scandinavian flick my way through them and it's fun as dicks.

>car with minimal interior soundproofing
>drive over any puddle at all

A bit, still controlable though.

And normies say skinny tires are always worse

Germany has them too. Traffic lights on Bundesstraßen/federal highways.
Sometimes there is a 70km/h limit posted near them, but not always.

On topic: Yes, for ~2s, felt like half a minute though.

Actually 70 kph zones for traffic lights are the standard. I can't recall seeing one without a 70 zone.

Iirc those panels were cf

>Driving gf's shitty Kia
>On the way back to Oklahoma from southern Texas
>Hit a lot of fucking rain
>Hydroplane, go from the far left lane of the highway to the far right before regaining control
>"Holy shit, did you see that!? That was almost really fucking bad"
>Cue gf: "Oh I thought you did that on purpose"
Thank the gods that she wasn't driving

>what is driveline shock
Rip your transmission

Yes, because I was driving like a complete retard in a thunderstorm. Apparently doing 80 in a 65 during a downpour has a tendency to disconnect your tires from the road.

watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=xdHwuBbyu74

>he thinks you don't need good, deep treads

First day driving my newest car the ABS came on when I was riding the brakes down a hill on a rainy day. Never happened before or since. Not even pressing the brakes hard or anything.

>in my old sable
>hitting the touge
>been running it for like 20 mins with some buds
>starts to rain heavily
>keep doing runs just slightly slower
>after a few runs getting comfortable start going as fast as I was in the dry
>coming down hill to a tight ass hair pin
>brake
>slow down for a second then start hydroplaning straight for the dirt and rock wall
>shit shit shit
>stomp on foot ebrake
>car slides last second just perfectly to stay on the road
>carry on driving like a normal human
>sheriff waiting over next hill

Hell yes. I try to induce hydroplaning when it's really wet and nobody else is around. Try to hit puddles I know are deep but not enough to drown my car as fast as possible. Shits fun as fuck.

I've never owned a Honda but they're good cars.

In case you're actually interested, I daily an Infiniti Q50 to my boring office job and my drift car is an S13 beater with the original KA24DE engine in it. I put roughly $5k into the engine and $1k into the suspension. That's it. It drives like a dream and is cheap enough to take to the track once every few weeks. :)

No because I'm not an idiot who drives faster than conditions allow and have good tires with good tread.

I haven't but I got a bit of a story.
Friend of my dad's was driving in a bad storm, hydroplaned off the road into a tree and was killed.

Turns out his grandfather had accidentally over-inflated his tires and that was most likely the cause or a major contributing factor in the accident, and to my knowledge no one ever told him.

looks bretty good.

Briefly, and never with all four wheels at once.

DO YOU THINK YOU CAN SURVIVIVIVE, THE TOP?

He wasn't even harmed and he looked around first...
>his phone is the next thing he grabs
To call 911?? Have you ever been in an accident?

Not me, but a friend of me did, ended up crashing into a stolen Camry.

Long story short, he and the thief talked for a bit and my friend isn't a rat so they both left.

>Coming back from vegas with a chick
>Heavy rain
>lose rear traction on a mild right hander @45mph
>keep it in the lane

Pulled over and checked the tires cause I wasnt sure what had happened .

What happens in Cummy's hometown stays in Cummy's hometown.

u know it buddy

Why would post this? Tripfags are weird.

nah because Im not an idiot and run semi slicks or worn tires

I have a savings just for tires

for 1 second

Very badly this one time.
>bought 1999 prizm didn't know it was R title
>literally broken shocks and struts in rear
>balded my rear tires in a few weeks, didn't know
>me with 2 friends driving having fun
>on NYC freeway going 60, raining
>I drive and I have this sensation of my ass being lifted and an emptiness in my feet, I could feel the tires dancing on the water, I went into fucking jet pilot mode
>steeeaaaddy
>goes on for 5-8 seconds
>tell friends what happened afterwards

It happens every now and then.
Doesn't really bother me.

>couple weeks ago
>driving like a complete jerk
>take a long turn at 60mph
>literally do a couple 360s
>kill myself when I get home from the shame