freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation
youtube.com/watch?v=vZImy-mEOkY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rust

Scala

Report on your current small goals!

I'm going to clean up terrible platformer's tile map code to support different tile types, and improve collision detection with keys and exits.

Keep shitposts about gargamel in the previous thread.

OOP > FP

Started working on a harvest moon-like
Just making a prototype of growing plants right now.

harvest moon roguelike when

can one of you artfags teach me to art properly?

elaborate

seems like all the labor or hm would feel wasted if each run could end whenever you fuck up

no, the only way to really learn is to just draw a LOT

draw things from real life/photos, draw from imagination, draw shapes, draw body parts, draw diagrams, draw draw draw every day. everything else is just tips to enhance that but the meat and potatoes of it is practice

I'd like to see a roguelike where you own a potion shop, grow some of the ingredients in a garden, and find rare ones in a forest or something in a roguelike fashion. Then sell rare potions to patrons.

this sounds comfy

noice

I feel like the structure of a permanent town with harvest moon gameplay combined with roguelike runs into a dungeon has potential. You just can't risk losing all the progress you made in town.

Help me out, should I try and get on Greenlight now or wait until Steam Direct comes out?

Rune factory already does that. RF3 even has a large procedurally generated dungeon that's post-endgame. It can definitely work with a solid game loop and the non-procedural dungeons could definitely be substituted by procedural ones.

Elona? Don't Starve?

Steam Direct is a relative unknown compared to Greenlight, and therefore a risk. If your game is mature enough to show off on Greenlight, go for it. If not, just wait for Direct rather than rushing the game to an imperfect debut.

You'll get a refund if you buy greenlight and none of your games are greenlit. That said, EVERY OTHER DEV has the same idea as you right now.

>R loli M I N D jam R
loli jam runs April 1 to 15
post your progress in the thread to cause endless REEE from normie shitposters
upload your game to any filehost and link in the thread
if you get banned we will honor your memory
lolijam friendly irc is #AGDC on rizon.net (irc://rizon.net/AGDC)

Good points, I think i'll wait it's probably a safer bet.

Neither even remotely qualify desu senpai.

RF has the problem of making farming completely useless. There's nothing you'll need that you have to grow that you can't find in a dungeon somewhere.

I don't know about Elona but Don't Starve definitely "remotely" qualifies, unless you want to be a bitch and quibble about roguelike vs. roguelite, in which case you can go fuck yourself desu senpai

You can't find plants for shit in dungeons and farming is the most profitable by far, though. You won't be able to cook or make medicine without at least some amount of farming and the games feature gatepoints where you need to give crops to pass.

>unless you want to be a bitch and quibble about roguelike vs. roguelite, in which case you can go fuck yourself desu senpai
Fuck you.

rebuilding innkeeper game, reimporting stuff from my old project and updating a lot of it as i go
being sick is slowing me down ;_;

sucks to say this but at this point roguelike purists should come up with a new term for true roguelikes. it would be nice if people respected the original definition but aint gonna happen desu

feel better user

Trying to find an engine with an editor that doesn't crash every 5 minutes.

teach me your artways

Opinions on 3 vs 4? I want to emulate one on pc

3 has better girls.

i'll teach you suck my dick, bitchboi

digging that art style, nice animations too

Traditional roguelike is the term I use. That way it's clear that it's like the older roguelikes.

Have you tried Godot?

Apprenticeship, Greek style.

thanks

im not a very good teacher
just make little vector dudes and put them on a texture sheet and treat it like any other 3d model, but flatter

4 is the better game, 3 arguably has better girls. 4 is effectively a straight upgrade from 3, while the previous titles also had deviations (2 lets you play for 2 generations and other townfolks can interact romantically, and has puzzles to solve, 1 has many more dungeons than the other games)

some twitter friends made art for the museum

Can we make 3d art too

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Locked Masts
Dev: IceDev
Tools: Unreal
Web: N/A
Progress:
+ Small touches on the merchant ship
- Schoolwork swallowed most of the week as I expected.

yea gotta be real low poly tho

mmmm....are you crown...or...are you....company.....mmm...

How do you make this effect?
I love it.

finish block out of character

ɯɯɥɯ

both

I had a concept once of a harvest moon, tho more towards Terraria in a topdown, preferably procedurally generated, world

The introduction would be you trying to get support from the King to go on a quest to slay the Demon King.
The King however has long since grown tired of adventurers heading off to their deaths so he decides he will not support any quest.

He will however give you this shoddy cabin out in the woods because an adventurer should be able to take care of some brigands and monsters at the very least.

The gameplay from there would revolve around doing the basic farming, hunting monsters for materials and befriending forest spirits/gnomes that eventually add NPCs to your camp that can craft things for you or teach you skills.

Combat items would mostly be crafted by your NPCs but 'key items' like a Fishing Rod or a Sicklerang that allows you to reap crops faster would only be found in specific areas or even dungeons.

The main problem I had when trying to flesh it out a bit more was that I was unable to get a good gameplay loop really.

How small would the world have to be for you to be able to travel back home and the very last zones like the Demon Kings Fortress.

If you would set up proxy bases or tents would your homebase become useless?

micromanaging farms/plants and at the same time going off on adventures where you're gone a couple of days sound incompatible to me.

If plants dont require that level of micromanagement what is the point of farming?

Would you have to return every day to give items to a travelling goods peddler or the like?

In the end I came to the conclusion that a simpler game would probably be more fun like your idea. You could be a Witch or something getting visitors on a varying schedule with them placing orders and you having to meet their demands.

Added an option for changing dashing types (actually implemented in the menu eventually). Now you can either use the two buttons for forward and back dashing or one button for both (defaults to back dash if no direction is pressed). Not really sure what to do with the 2nd dash button for type 2 though. Probably just keep it disabled.

retro pixel pro

Enlighten me, what's the difference between like and light?

Other than that Doom roguelike, I think the closest thing I've played that comes to a roguelike is is Path of Exile on Hardcore mode.

Is 156 tris okay?

sankyu

Actually like Rogue.

A roguelike is a game that is like Rogue.

A roguelight is a game that is nothing like Rogue.

Roguelike is this:
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

Rogueliite is some of those criteria in a modern context. Permadeath and randomness are the two that usually trigger it being called roguelite.

So my mini crowdfunding is slowly getting more support.
I got a few reviews (but only in frog language), such as this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=vZImy-mEOkY

I'm getting bigger and better contacts, so I hope to get more support soon.

started on fresh new younger loli.
comparison with her oneesans.
#lolijam

A roguelike is a game that is turn based, grid based, has random level generation, and has permadeath.

A roguelite usually only has random level generation and permadeath, but has real time combat and isn't constrained to a grid.

this

>far left
>googum actually drew something bordering on attractive
holy shit

i would like this style if it was actually compatible with video games

According to , it doesn't need everything, but should have most. Wouldn't this mean if it didn't have turn based combat and wasn't grid base, BUT had everything else, it'd be considered a roguelike? Or do fans of that genre argue even that too?

>an art style incompatible with video games
that doesnt even make sense.

Is it worth spending any time arguing about?

googs can you draw a side ref too so i can model one of these

yea send it to our email we'll put it in somewhere when we can

visual novels aren't video games

There's just a lot of confusion around it. Because originally a roguelike was just a game like rogue, and that's what it meant. But eventually more games with permadeath and random generation started using the term roguelike even though they didn't really have much in common with rogue other than the permadeath and random generation. So then the Berlin definition came around to try to make a more clear line of what is roguelike and what isn't. But roguelike is still just a generic tag used on Steam by many games. So many traditional roguelike fans started calling those games roguelites.

This is why I just refer to turn based grid based roguelikes as traditional roguelikes, because the traditional roguelikes were all like that.

>Put in crosses that appear at the player spawn after you die and reload
>One spawns in such a way that it extends another one.
>Also because this is nothing more than an experiment/exercise I put in Evangelion music on the death screen, making this even more relevant.
Dem odds.

The thing is, when the game isn't turn-based, you tend to lose other high value factors like complexity and non-modality. So it is typically a "super high value" factor along with randomness and permadeath.

agreed, now fuck off back to /vndev/ or whatever

>i agree that my art style is incompatible with video games because visual novels aren't video games
>any art style can be compatible with video games
get a load of this faggot

>VN is an artstyle
how about you make like a VN character and go get hit by a truck

im sick and alone and its my bday
i just want to dev without these feels

devving is about feels, friend. who wants to play a soulless game?

Happy birthday, user! I hope you have a good day of progress

no one knew about bokus game anyway
its free advertising if anything

How do I get more Twitter followers for my dev Twitter? Do I just post with hashtags each tweet. Which hashtags should I use?

Have you contacted some youtubers? As much as I enjoy a lot of LetsPlay content, I'm sure they all charge for coverage. I'm curious if you've had a response from someone like quill18. Or even, are the popular names we see in the states the same people you Europeans see.

how accurate is that image? i have my twitter and tumblr backwards pretty much

try making some games and then get your marketing department to deal with that stuff

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Skylarks
Dev: Mako
Tools: Rust, Blender, Logic, SDL2
Web: -
Progress:
+ Wrote a fuckhuge timeline that comes out to seven pages JUST for the backstory of one character and some of the planets she visits
+ Named a bunch of planets that didn't have names yet and estimated their relative positions on the galaxy map
+ Came up with what seems like a really solid approach to queueing up one-shot bits of content that will seamlessly extend to all the different kinds of scripts that need to run
- Actually making that work will be a giant pain in the ass
- I left important planets out of the timeline just because there's a bunch and I forgot about some of them

It can't possibly be accurate (across the board). You have to change shit based on your target demographic.

I imagine they derived the "best" times based on peak activity in America for each of the services. But then:

What if your demographic tends to stay up late.
What if your demographic is children.
What if people in your not-America country have substantial free time at different times (siesta in Spain?).
What if peak activity actually works in your disadvantage, because you'll be drowned out by all the other people posting at the same time?

Why middle bitch gotta geass on her neck

someone make a program that you can feed a bunch social network profiles to and it assesses the activity of them all to make a heatmap of activity across the past month+

What do you think about my UI mockup?

Yes always use hashtags, they work. Use #gamedev always. On Saturday there's #screenshotsaturday. You could also use #indiegame
There's more for specific stuff like #pixelart #lowpoly #3D and hashtags for the engine you're using, if you do something cool maybe the engine's official twitter will retweet it.

As for the times to post, like the other user said, it can depend on your target demographic. But afternoon to evening tends to be the best bet.

aww what a cute family! The daughter on the left the man in a wig on the right and the wife in the middle cute cosplay

10/10 would hire as an artist

As someone with 2k+ followers on twitter and 3k+ on tumblr, it took a pretty long time for twitter and my tumblr kind of blew up without me noticing.

As for twitter, (my tips) use hashtags #gamedev #indiedev #screenshotsaturday #gamemaker #unity or whatever engine you use. Post once every couple days with interesting looking progress.
DONT follow anyone and everyone, people can see through that. Follow people who you are genuinely interested in their own gamedev progress. Talk to them and give them constructive criticisms. Become friends. People are more likely to share stuff by people they like.

Something I notice a lot of other devs doing, refrain from posting personal things. If you're depressed, lonely, whatever, dont post about it. No one cares, no one wants to see it, and it'll just cause you to lose followers.

Aside from all this, hope a big dev or youtuber with a following sees your stuff and follows/retweets your stuff. Once that happens your followers just snowball from there.

these get a lot better when you imagine that their heads are eyes and their noses are the pupils

Oh fuck, right, seasons/holidays.

Image is shit. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

Not a fan. The floating ui puts me off a bit. Gives me fps HUD vibes. Also don't particularly like the color

i know youre joshing but still....

the fuck is wrong with you?

>Something I notice a lot of other devs doing, refrain from posting personal things. If you're depressed, lonely, whatever, dont post about it. No one cares, no one wants to see it, and it'll just cause you to lose followers.
Seriously important point. Don't tweet about shit that is [notgame] on your twitter that people follow for [game].

Protip: Don't tweet crap like "I'm going to get back to progress soon guys I swear"