Need halp

need halp

how to rebuild engine, blew a headgasket.
94 toyota t-100/pickup 4x4

2.4l 22re engine

i have very little experience doing any mechanical work, but ive got time and effort.

OR

should i just buy a rebuilt/re manufactured motor??

i can take the head off mu 22re in 20-30
Minutes.

If you didnt cook the shit out of the head then just throw another gasket in there and see if it helps.

i mean thats what i want to do but my uncle is telling me that its just not worth is because im going to open it up and theres going to be 101 other things wrong.... something about holes and then having to also rebore?

i mean i maybe drove it 5 miles home..... so idk if its a complete loss or not

you may have to get the head resurfaced
costs $40-60 usually
also ur uncle is a retarded

No he's just pissed off at me for some stupid shit and doesn't want to fuck with it. He'll put a new one in but not help me repair what I've got :L

He's a great mechanic but he just doesn't like me all that much...

he wants you to learn a lesson and either eat the cost of the new engine, or learn to fix it yourself.

I guess what I really want to know is if I have to end up replacing a lot of stuff which honestly I just want to anyway so I don't have to fuck with it ever again would it be worth it to? I'll be doing everything so no labor just parts.

Or should I just get a "new" motor ?

Head resurfaced and cylinders rehoned. You can just drop them off at an engine shop and they will probably do both for 100 bux.

Yeah lol that's pretty much it hahaha

Thanks

Yeah see that's what I'm looking for because I'm not looking to drop 2k for a new motor lol

Yeah best thing to do would be to pull the motor and rebuild it.

If your uncle can help you i would go that route.

A 22re is pretty much the easiest engine in the world to rebuild. Its always pricey to do a full rebuild but in the end its worth it cause you wont have to fix shit for years to come.

Pull the head off. Wont hurt anything if the engine is toast and you will learn things as you go.
If the engine is good, get the head resurfaced and slap a gasket on it. 22re is a simple motor.
If there's engine damage get a replacement and learn more stuff as you go.

He will have no part in it lol, he's been very adamant on that part... he'd throw in a new one but won't fuck with the old one with me. The only reason I wouldn't want to rebuild is because I don't know if it'll be cheaper in the long run to just get the re-manufactured one.

How am I going to know if it's a lost cause?

While you were driving it home did it get super hot?
Is there water in the oil (milky/foamy oil or coolant)?
Was it knocking real bad?
If any of the above, then you will most likely need to rebuild/replace.
The 22re is durable and if it was just blowing water into the cylinders just check for scoring or damaged cylinder walls with the head off.
If i does need a rebuild and you are not comfortable doing it, get a motor and have your jackass uncle help.

It's not knocking at all that i could tell, it's a little loud to begin with but I didn't notice a knock. It did start to overheat but I never let it get into the red

It didn't run enough to get the oil milky but when I pull the dipstick there's definitely not just oil in it

Milky oil/foamy coolant is important. Either of those and a teardown and rebuild is a given.

It's definitely not milky/foamy but it isn't just oil

Can say without a doubt it's not milky/foamy. I can pull the stick look at the cap it's clear just like regular oil but there is the slightest indication of contamination

I have replaced headgaskets on engines that compromised the oil by doing several seafoam+oil changes after getting it back together but its a crapshoot if the engine will be ok without an actual rebuild. I have been lucky with most of them.
Water gets in all the oil galleys and bearing races and can play hell with an engine.

Hell, in that case I would defintely slap a new gasket on it and do a couple 50 mile oil+filter changes.

Okay nvm definitely lept before I leaped here this is under the cap

I was going off of what I can see on the stick...

F

Lol, rebuild time.

Okay yeah, I guess my question is still would it be more cost effective to just get the new motor or do it myself??

If you have never done it, then get another engine and replace.
Trying to rebuild an engine the first time, you will screw something up.
Honestly, if you have the urge to learn, then pull and replace but when you get a chance, rebuild this one.

there's a lot of engines that went into that truck, maybe it's the time to hunt around for a V6

Haynes manual. It will tell you everything

Nahhh love the straight 4 too much, I can only do 65 but damn I love the thing
okay then I guess I can settle for that answer thanks

Okay, thank you everyone you've been a great help. I thank you all and so does Gwen :)

Okay actually if anyone is left in the thread before it 404s is a 22re the same across the board? Like as long as I get a same range year motor is it just going to fall in place?
Assuming I get the same 2.4L 4I 22re

keep all the mounting hardware from the old engine and you should be fine. not an expert on that engine but most engines have different mounting solutions per vehicle but the same actual engine

Okay good to know thanks

Why are you retards telling OP that milky oil means a full rebuild is 100% necessary? When a head gasket blows, coolant and oil can mix but that doesn't necessarily mean the whole engine is fucked.

OP, unless there are other signs of damage beyond just slightly milky oil, drain the oil and coolant, pull the head, clean the mating surfaces, and slap a new gasket on there. Refill the fluids and fire it up, it's cheap and there's a good chance you'll get months to years out of that engine.

Thank you, I felt like the little bit I drove it home wasn't bad enough to warrant a new engine lol. Thanks man but either way the engine is getting some loving wether or not if it needs it or not

Also what should I look for as signs of significant damage? Also I'm definitely inexperienced but I'm no fucking retard lol. There's shit that Boeing has developed for jet engines that I've thought of before knowing they got to it first haha.

Tl;dr I'm stupid not an idiot what should I be looking for ?

Okay ignore the last two posts I'm really tired should have been asleep hours ago but I've been up trying to figure out what I'm gonna do

I'd really like to rebuild the thing I'm good at following directions and putting shit back together that I take apart

After about the 22nd of June I'm off work till September so I've got nothing but timeand I've got a place to work on the thing

What should I know befor I get into this?

Reconsider in the morning lol, you always feel super motivated late at night.

Yeah I know what you mean but this is something I've been thinking about for a week now, definitely want the thing to live it's just that I don't know what to look for is all.