What's the modern day equivalent

What's the modern day equivalent

This ,Op.
What have been living in a hole in the ground for the last 30 years?

Someone fix that poor thing's suspension

s t a n c e d

Like I said, fix the alignment.

Looks fine to me.
Do you want less contact patch on something with no travel?

>no travel
>not using all of the tread
>looks fine
Am I the only one who sees a problem here?

Definitely not.
>AE86
>commuter ecobox with an optional performanced themed package
>DOHC engine in the package vs the regular carb'd SOHC found in normal Corollas
Does not compare to
>GT86
>commuter ecobox performance in a "sports car" with none of the commuter ecobox benefits
>no nice extra hatch space for delivering tofu
>no good mpgs on regular unleaded
>no performance package to give it an edge against the base model
It just doesn't compare well. I fucking hate Ford, but their Focus RS is a closer comparison.
>inb4 but bruh gt86 pulls mad skids like dagumi because it has prius tires

>Am I the only one who sees a problem here?
Nah, it's just that someone who lowers his car like that and/or gives it retarded amounts of camber doesn't give a shit about grip, handling and performance. Such people should not be allowed to touch a GT86, it's retarded on so many levels to stance it.

No you see the problems, but stance nation faggots like making their cars scrape.

Fiesta ST. Obviously no drifting, but in the spirit of super fun handling sporty econobox with a practical hatch it is close.

200 hp is plenty with the extremely impressive handling it has.
AE86 was never fast and never cheap.
GT86 is not fast and while i is not cheap it is affordable.
gt86 is a sports car through and through. Like it or not.
Veeky Forums only hates it because the vocal minority that is retarded and believes only way to measure cars is drag racing go to their hugbox threads which are now being avoided by people who actually know things.

Because you can have a faster 240sx with 20 previous owners and 3 crash repairs for half the price of a brand new car.

>20 previous owners and 3 crash repairs for half the price of a brand new car
I bought a 3 year old GT86 in mint condition with 1 previous owner for half the price of the brand new car. I'm trying to stop laughing, but I just can't.

>170whp
>fuck high compression
>needs premium fuel
>unreliable engine

it's the rx8 all over again.

>fuck high compression
How is this a problem? Less headroom for FI? LMAO IT'S AN N/A CAR
>needs premium fuel
Not it doesn't, it needs regular everywhere outside of the US. It's not the cars fault that your fuel is absolute horseshit.
>unreliable engine
Dude what?

Did the AE86 get beaten by the 1980s equivalent of minivans at normal greenlight driving?

The only way to make the GT86 good is by adding a turbo. The only way. The car is too fucking slow.

This if OP means equivalent philosophy
This if OP means equivalent performance

The Corolla wasn't the only car that got beaten by a minivan

This is bretty true , know a mates dad got one as a graduation present(Rich Famiru) and it was a relatively expensive car even for the base model sohc ones

>beaten at normal greenlight driving

For normal greenlight driving, some combination of gearing and power delivery (torque curve, pedal feel, etc.) would do the trick. It has enough power for every day fun.

Just offer more power at the top trim level or something, since it would be such an easy thing to do and it's such a common complaint for the asking price.

>Did the AE86 get beaten by the 1980s equivalent of minivans at normal greenlight driving?
Please post the stock production minivan that does 0-60 in under 6.9 seconds. (Disregarding that my stock GT86 does it in barely over 6 seconds on stock sized performance tires that were no more expensive than the stock tires)

A lot of autos these days are set up so that if you put your foot in more than a little bit, it feels like some kind of torque monster. The combination of the super short 1st gear and the torque dip makes you feel slow unless you're playing racecar.

You misunderstand, I'm confused as to how a car can "beat" another car at "normal driving".

It'd nothing like that you. Mongoloid. The car is literally 90% subaru

Toyota literally paid Subaru to make a car in the spirit of the AE86. The mongoloid is you.

Oh, I just meant casually keeping up and feeling like you could "beat" normal traffic with ease. The way the GT86 is set up to date you have to work it a bit, which makes it feel more gutless as a DD than it really is.

If you go at it more aggressively, it's surprisingly easy to spring ahead of the sloths on the road, and the handling of course makes you feel like you're stuck behind a land barge any time there's a slightly tight corner involved.

It's the kind of thing you'd think would be easy to remediate and provide a car that better lives up to its selling point of being just plain fun at any speed.

I'm sure the gutless 86kw 4age ae86 was beaten in a kinds of regular commuter cars.

You are fucking retarded.
>in the spirit
What the fuck does this even mean? Stop posting buzzwords and post a fucking source you idiot. I bet you think toyota skimping out on the tires because they're lazy fags is really their intention to you to tell you to drift in it right? Do you believe every fucking retarded meme on the planet?

The car has a Subaru engine with a Subaru tranny and differential. Subaru headers, exhaust and everything else. The only things that are fucking toyota are the badge at that point.

You hipsters are the fucking worst

>casually keeping up and feeling like you could "beat" normal traffic with ease
That's exactly what my GT86 does. If you think dropping a gear or two and revving past 5k RPMs is "working it" or "going at it aggressively" naturally aspirated cars aren't for you, I recommend a turbodiesel or vee ayte.

Are you really bragging about beating normal traffic? My dinky civic lx can "beat normal traffic" when I simply step on the gas pedal a little more. I'm sure my civic can do 80mph whole the other traffic is doing 65-70 wow woopty fuckin do.

No, that's what I like. It's just that the only time the dip doesn't matter is in 5th or 6th. For driving off from a light, it's just that the placement of the gearing and torque dip has minivans and whatever else jumping ahead at a whim when you were enjoying how punchy it is below the dip.

Just make it a torque plateau and it'd feel fine whether or not you're pretending to be at a rally.

By comparison the wrx has a virtually flat torque line. It gets to max torque at 2k rpm and there's no turbo lag at all.

I drove a friend's 240sx a few times, not enough to know it well, but pretty much the more you got the RPMs up, the more torque you got. Felt great.

When you go to wind it up and then it chokes on you, that just doesn't feel as good. I like shifting as much as the next guy, but a torque dip right in the middle is like unexpected whiskey dick.

>Are you really bragging about beating normal traffic?
Kill yourself, retard. I'm debunking the horseshit about the 86 not being able to beat normal traffic, Jesus fucking Christ.

No minivan has ever jumped ahead of me, ever. You spend less than a second in the 3,500 to 4,500 RPM range, it virtually doesn't matter. It literally doesn't matter if you launch at 5,000 RPM and don't shift before 6,000 RPM. I usually stay between 1,800 and 3,000 RPM while cruising along and drop two gears to get into the 4,500 to 6,500 RPM range to overtake. I've never owned a car that wasn't naturally aspirated, so this feels completely natural to me, I don't see the need to have max torque at 1750 RPM.

Also, the gearing is absolutely fine.

t. automotive engineer who knows how to dimension gearings

All of my previous cars were NA, and they had sort of the typical gradual hill and then tapering off torque curve. GT86 feels nice and natural when I'm alone because either you're below the dip cruising or your above the dip accelerating.

I'm just saying it doesn't match the acceleration curves when you're in variable traffic where most other vehicles will take off at the tip of the toe while you have to keep deciding which side of the dip you want to be on. I'm more than happy to have max torque at 6k or whatever. What I'm talking about is how to make it feel better. When the dip and the power are the two main complaints, this should be an easy and obvious way to get better reviews.

I mean, within maybe 300' off the lot during a test drive suddenly there was a gentle hill, I was like
>wow, ok, I'll put my foot in it
>huh really wasn't expecting to have to take it out to 5k to feel like it was ready for the next gear

just sayin'

>Kill yourself, retard. I'm debunking the horseshit about the 86 not being able to beat normal traffic, Jesus fucking Christ.
No one actually said this. Everyone knows that if you simply press the gas a little more you can beat all the traffic Holy shit why did you ever think this was an issue

Dude, you have 6 gears available to shift past the torque dip at whatever speed you're going. I've never encountered a situation where I felt like having to shift was detrimental to my driving experience, or where reving through the torque dip felt like it was slowing me down to the point where I wished I had more torque. I bet 99% of drivers wouldn't notice the torque dip without looking at the torque curve.

As for "simply eliminating the dip", we've been over this, it's nowhere near as simple or cheap as you think, else they would've done it. If there's cheap and legal aftermarket parts in your country that reduce the dip, go ahead and use them. I'd have to spend around €1,000 to get rid of the torque dip, and that's just not worth it for me.

>No one actually said this
Everyone actually says this when they're implying that minivans are faster than the 86.

>Everyone actually says this when they're implying that minivans are faster than the 86.
They are in a fucking drag race. Driving a constant speed on a highway is not a race nor is it a fucking metric for anything. You are autistic if you actually thought this was the case.

>look this minivan had a faster 0-60 than an 86
>NUUUUU I DRIVE FASTER THAN THEM ON THE HIGHWAY

My proposition is put on a "sport mode" button to tune out the dip. The reasonable fuel efficiency is part of the selling point, and I'd leave it off for sure on long trips.

I've certainly never had a problem going around traffic like it was standing still when I wanted to, and that's even on an interstate where 205HP laden with passengers and cargo means you have to lean on it to play leapfrog. That's the fun of it in my opinion is that it's really a joy of a car when you lean on it.

Tbh if they fixed the torque dip you would probably get better gas mileage because that extra torque is letting the engine work less to pull the car effectively. It's part of the reason why I don't lose nearly as much gas mileage with my truck when towing my boat

Also if it got more torque it would get more power since torque is a function of power.

You realize that the fuel outside the US is the same fuel in the us right? Just because the rating system and number is different doesn't mean shit

The strangest thing is that the average MPG comes out surprisingly similar whether cruising on the highway right in the dip or whether zipping around town above or below it.

It makes you wonder if this is some kind of jewish trick so that your average MPG always comes out to be reasonable.

+1 to the us shit fuel, here in eurpoe the "cheap" fuel is 95, and you only need 98 on high performance cars

EU 95 is the same as US 89. You use a different rating system.

You're the only one talking about highway driving, everyone else is talking about acceleration at red lights, where the 86 supposedly gets "beaten" by minivans.

>You're the only one talking about highway driving
No you brought up highway driving. All examples of minivans beating an 86 in a drag race have nothing to do with highway driving. You got butthurt thinking that overtaking people on the highway magically meant you're faster because you think it's some race on th highway or something

I don't even know when the last time I've had somebody in a minivan try to "beat" anybody. It's a completely ridiculous metric. I've done it before in a minivan, but only on rare occasion, just like I've only used my 86 on rare occasion racecar my way through traffic.

The car is fine on its own. I think we're just talking about possible easy ways to update and improve the model line.

>No you brought up highway driving
Quote me.

>Oh, I just meant casually keeping up and feeling like you could "beat" normal traffic with ease.

Quote where I mentioned highway driving or shut the fuck up.

I think you're responding to me, not that guy.

Indeed that is my complaint at speeds where you'd be in 3rd or below, maybe 4th. It feels like there's more to go unless you're thinking
>oh wait torque dip
and then it becomes unresponsive if you hadn't anticipated a need to downshift.

Atleast the RX8s were fun

>normal traffic isn't highway driving

The whole premise of the minivan meme is beating it from a light, not outgunning it on the highway.

Please try to keep up.

You had two chances to scroll up and find something to save face.

This is what I initially replied to.
>Did the AE86 get beaten by the 1980s equivalent of minivans at normal greenlight driving?

Hey mang pretty much what this guy said and don't get me wrong I like Toyota but they're full of Jew cucks now they rather save money and pay someone else on designing and making their car than doing everything themselves seriously they would have made more money if they brought back and made a new 4age that made 230 horsepower and designed the gt86 themselves. Seriously it's sad seeing Toyota fans still defending Toyota for there half assed attempt to make "sports cars".

>look this minivan had a faster 0-60 than an 86
>NUUUUU I DRIVE FASTER THAN THEM ON THE HIGHWAY

>I think gt86 is a good car
>SLOOOWER THAN A MINIVAAAAN

kill yourself

Can you explain?
I was trying to figure out what fuel to put in my new car and all I could find were american posts and I converted that to europe and the charts I used it seemed like europe fuel quality is way higher.
Like they reccomended to put euro equvilent of 93 in the car since its high performance but 93 hasn't been sold here for 2 decades

SMASHED
SLAMMED

God tier

They didn't pay someone else because they're Jews, they did it because all 21st century Toyota is good for is econobox hatchbacks, crossovers, hybrids, Land Cruisers and trucks. You HAVE to save money if you want to make the car affordable, if they made it themselves it would've ended up being a smaller scale LFA for 70 grand without being twice as good.

>they would have made more money if
You couldn't possibly know.

I'm not defending Toyota, I'm just happy with my car.

S T A N C E
W O R K S

B)

This how Toyota pretty much started the gt86:
>Toyota: hey guys like my modern design of the 2000gt?
>the head honcho of Toyota likes it and they told the person that designed it that they will use it but they will call it gt86 because Toyota ae86 fans where bitching that Toyota doesn't make fun cars anymore
>this triggered Toyota
>Toyota: fuck every ae86 fan I will ask Subaru if they want to make every thing else because I'm not going to but any slightest money and time making that car for a bunch of crybabies
>Toyota: hey Subaru do you want a piece of this action? You just have to use your guys engine and other shit to slap your logo on it and sell it under you name
>Subaru: k
And that's how the frs/brz/gt86 was made. And if they made everything themselves it wouldn't have been a smaller scale lfa they made the lfa because they wanted a "super car" under the Lexus name you hard headed fuck if they made it themselves it would have been priced 4K more than it already does if anything. Now stop being a fag and take off you rose petals glasses and face the fact that you got car cucked

>This how Toyota pretty much started the gt86:
So you asked them?

No just did a quick internet research and it pretty says the same thing but I green texted it that way so a retard like you can understand that you got car cucked and not get bored by reading a lot. But seriously stop trying to damage control and face the fact that you got car cucked user

>just accept all this proof that your car is bad and stop liking it
Kill yourself.

Wtf you should reread what I said I never said it was a shit car and to stop liking it retard all I pretty much said I don't like the way that car was made. But if that's what you got off of reading that then that really says something of the car kek

>I never said it was a shit car and to stop liking it
>stop being a fag and take off you rose petals glasses and face the fact that you got car cucked
heh

>it wouldn't have been a smaller scale lfa they made the lfa because they wanted a "super car" under the Lexus name you hard headed fuck
They had to pour so much money into development that it ended up costing twice as much as the competition.

has a point you know.

Only hell holds worse horror than this. By the Gods, please, end my internal suffering.
My... Internal Combustion suffering.
HAHAHAihatemylifeHAHAHAHAihavenofriendsHAHAHA

You do know that he just quoted the other user right?

He has a point for pointing out the irony

I don't get how it's ironic pls explain

Couldn't they just make a 3-door rwd Yaris?

This. AWD and FR hot hatches need to become a thing again. I'd pay good money for one.

AWD hot hatches are a thing, FR hot hatches have never really been a thing.

FR hot hatches should totally be a thing. Imagine how much fun they would be

How would a hot hatch be more fun than the equivalent non-hatch?

ITT things that never happened
>ever wasting money on pos gt86
the only people youll impress are 12 year olds who think bc its looks sporty its good

this, cocky gt86 drivers always take a crack at my sr20de and lose, 65% of owners are middle aged women too

Good breakdown

Apparently the Corolla is already up to the (A)E170 chassis code, so I wonder if they would make a proper AE86 tribute next generation. An engine that doesn't need to be lifted for a sparkplug change would be nice.

It's just a psychological thing, much like 2 door vs 4 door. There's no actual real performance benefit to having 2 doors, especially since a lot of coupes are built on the same platforms as sedans, it's just the overall feel and look at people think is more sporty or aggressive.

Honda Civic.

Rev hard, drift safe.