Rotaries are shit or?

I'm looking at used Mazda RX8's on carsales.com and not a single one I've found has reached 200,000 KM's or 124 thousand miles for you Amerilards, they are all sitting at either extremely low KM's or around 100,000 range where they begin to crap out. Is this true or am I dumb for considering an RX8?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z5gIApUv1c0
youtube.com/watch?v=DjSK8-kJHX0
youtube.com/watch?v=JtLetofcIPU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

well you're gonna need a $500 engine rebuild kit and you need to know how to get the engine out, open it up, replace the seals, stick it back together and put it back in.

RX8's are cheap for a good reason

Rotaries aren't shit

Late model Rx8's aren't shit

but people who initially bought Rx8's not knowing they are rotaries and not knowing how to properly take care of them are shit. (and those are a lot of people)

chances are the one you found is garbage.

You are better off with a First or Second gen Rx7

No OP, but There's a first gen RX-7 near me, I kind of want to buy it, but last I heard it needed a clutch (Came in to the shop I was at job shadowing for my senior project in HS), and I doubt the fat bitch that owns it has done anything to take care of it or the Rotary.

Part of me is tempted to get it, how hard is it to work on these things for someone with a bit of wrenching skill? I mean I doubt I do it I don't need a project on my plate right now, but I mean aside from the aformentioned issues, it's one of the straighter looking first gen's I've seen in awhile.

I've never owned one but rotaries are tiny as fuck and probably piss easy to work on. Just buy a haynes manual. do a bit of reading and get to wrenching

youtube.com/watch?v=z5gIApUv1c0

youtube.com/watch?v=DjSK8-kJHX0

youtube.com/watch?v=JtLetofcIPU

The reason why RX-8'S are so cheap is because normies treated it like a piston engine, where they didn't bother to change the oil after 3,000 miles, ran synthetic oil, didn't ever redline it, and never premixed it.

Normies are truly the death of everything good in this world.

The inverse, however, is the reason why RX-7's are generally more expensive. The person who owned it actually read up on how to take care of it and drive it. If you know how to take care of a rotary, then forget the RX-8's because those will be nightmares, and finding a mint one will be extremely hard.

Just get a rx7 shell for 500 and get a Chevy 2500 van for 500, swap the engine (350 small block v8, I'd recommend carbing it so that the swap is brain dead ez) and trans into it and part out the van and scrap it for 1k completely paying for the shell and engine/trans.

Muh rotaries are flawless and it's just bad owners that make them blow up every 60000km
Have fun defending a shitty engine that makes 20hp more than the BRZ while you drive mommy's civic to highschool

rotaries aren't idiot-proof, and 99.9999% of car owners are idiots.

>implying I said they're flawless
>putting words in my mouth this hard
Who pissed in your Cheerios buttercup?

There's a reason the doritos were discontinued.

>Spoilers: They suck.

Because we have this thread every 3 days...

>350 swap

If I wanted a Corvette user, I'd just buy a C4.

Gl buying one for free dumbfuck, the whole point of that build is that it's cost is literally covered by the swap/doner vehicle.

Yeah and the point of buying an RX-7 is the shitty meme motor and instant regret.

Lolno tardo, the point is that it's the cheap tuner platform with a great wheelbase, lightweight (at least fb) and easy to build on like the 240sx was before dumb fucks like you watched fast and furious and decided you like cars.

>That is even a close comparison
Pigfat c4 vs light swapped rx

>they are all sitting at either extremely low KM's or around 100,000 range where they begin to crap out
>am I dumb

Yes, you are dumb, but not for considering an RX8, but because you jumped on the Bandwagon.

There needs to be a sticky labeled "Bandwagon Beliefs" and in it there needs to be a post about how retarded people are for thinking rotaries are bad engines just because they don't know how to take care of them.

We see these threads way too often and they keep kicking someone else's would-be better thread.

You can rebuild it for $500 in an afternoon

ReadAnd also, Rx8s have a rather high upkeep. Make sure you can afford it. A lot of anons see the rx8 as a budget sports car, but it's not cheap to maintain. If the rotary does shit the bed they are pretty cheap to rebuild.

What gets me is people will say how rotaries are unreliable engines and yet you will commonly see a 2004 rx8 with anywhere from 110k to 160k miles. How long does an engine have to go to be considered "unreliable"? My Toyota 1ZZ died at 190k miles, does that mean its not reliable?

bump

imo unreliable is an engine that always has problems, not necessarily the longevity of it
a rotary is problem free for the entire life of the engine. maintenance is simpler than any other sports car.