Is it a good degree or just a meme, Veeky Forums?

Is it a good degree or just a meme, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2015/02/scientists-wrong-time-thats-fantastic/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do you need a degree, or can you learn it by yourself ?

I have nothing to put on my linkedin so a BSc Econ would be nice desu

Is linkedin a real thing or a meme ?

Does it involve observation, hypothesis, experimentation, comparison, and changing your mind if your hypothesis is wrong or testing with the intention of disproving your previous hypothesis? No? Then it's a meme pseudoscience little better than sociology.

It's a real thing

This.

You might as well have a degree in palm reading or astrology.

Depends if you're smart about it.

> Bachelor of Science with a good GPA, and an internship or two?

Yeah, economics is an awesome major.

>Bachelor of Arts, shit GPA, and no effort outside of school?

No, economics is a shit major do something else.
Depends entirely which caregory you fall in. I just completed my masters in econometrics after majoring a Bs in Economics. Plenty of my peers including myself have found jobs or well-paid internships while working on our Masters even before entering the program.

>economics has no validity at all
Well gee guess we'll just let the country crash whenever we run into a problem. Country would've ended in the 70's, 80's, late 00's, and many other times if it weren't for the 'pseudo science'

>observation, hypothesis, experimentation, comparison, and changing your mind if your hypothesis is wrong or testing with the intention of disproving your previous hypothesis?

It's economics. Of course it is. Observing the economy, hypothesizing what the economy will do, experimenting how to manipulate the ecomony, etc.Same with accounting and finance.

Not to mention there are many accurate models that most everyone who browses Veeky Forums have not even the vaguest conception of their existence because they never got an actual economics education besides shitty meaningless high school econ or freshman 101 variants.

It may not be a perfect science, but Economics is well beyond most social sciences. The more data we get (which increases massively year by year as new methods of observation and new mathmatical proofs of that data are developed) the more accurate we get. You can't even start comparing modern understanding of the economy as primitive as it was in the past.

I was going to make a thread, but it's semi-relevant so I'm going to ask it in here. Are Thomas Sowell's economics books any good?

As long as you stick to the non-SJW literature about pure economics yeah, he was a popular author in a previous class for my Grad degree

Complete bullshit. Economists consistently fail to predict economic trends. They are right about 50% of the time. Economists are the modern equivalent of court wizards.

Is this a meme? I seriously can't understand how completely fucking ignorant you are

Awesome, I'll give them a read, thanks.

As oppose to Math, Physics, or any other science where they have a higher percentage of predicting correctly?

wired.com/2015/02/scientists-wrong-time-thats-fantastic/

>I seriously can't understand

Economists aren't very smart.

>comparing a pseudoscience like economics to math or physics

LOL

>t. College dropout

It's a meme. Everything that doesn't land you a job by itself is a meme, and you'd need to know beforehand how to monetize it. If you can't do that, you're hoping for luck, and most people are out of luck.

Fuck models. A Philosopher also studies trillion of models and all the meta problems that go with the concept of model itself, but does this make him marketable? In most cases not, there are exceptions, tho, but who cares, because what's your chance of being one of these.

Idk about American degrees but do something more job like like insurance math and from there you can to some courses on economics too that link into that field.

Philosophy and Economics are both pretty high up in post-degree earnings rankings.

Econometrie is a very respected degree, 100% top 5 hardest degrees to get.

styring og virksomhedsanalyse, er du dansker ven?

Unless you are going for a doctorate and are going to make actual contributions, then it is essentially another religion.

I think the hardest degree you can get is one in theology/philosophy...you know, alls this languages, history, philosophy...

In fact the only Thing we Need are good mathematic and other hard science... sure!!!

Almost every degree is bullshit, but the (((HR Department))) requires you to have one if you expect to actually be employed.

It doesn't even matter what. They just want to make sure you have a mortgage and a student loan to make sure the goyim don't get any ideas about telling their bosses off or demanding better pay.

You wouldn't want to go unemployed and be behind on your bills, would you? :^)

I've had people sound impressed that I'm studying econ.

I go to a midwest state school that's respected academically, the business school/majors outranks the econ department. However, there are some features of the degree that make you marketable and make the degree respected by the job market.

First, at least for my uni, the degree requires more advanced math (at least calc 2 vs calc 1 for biz school) and has some advanced courses that look really good to employers - specifically, econometrics. With that course, it kind of puts you in the same realm of stats/c.s. majors in the sense that you can handle some advanced math and do some modeling. Hence, you can pitch yourself as being analytical.

Now my appraoch is to spin the degree as making me better at understanding people and giving me stronger communication skills. I've taken some classes that have involved history and I explain that economics has some blend of analytics and behavior and that it has made a more open minded person in that I can better understand the wants and needs of people and base it on some logical reasoning. Yes, econ is a soft science, but being able to explain to some job recruiters and framing it like this has actaully put me on good terms with some recruiters when I was at our school's biz fair. It's a different major, yes, but as best I could I explained why it being different would make me a unique asset to their team.

I'd pitch the major the same way I would pitch a MIS major in that you have a decent grasp of logic/math and that you can be analytical while also possessing the communication skills to explain things to clients, coworkers, C-level people, etc in a way that they'd understand and also more importantly, what they'd want to hear.

You have to remember you're a student selling yourself for a position in a corporate company - at least that's what I did. You need to extract your experiences, skills, and anything else that can be seen as asset to a recruiter