Goddamned engineers

Fucking Honda engineers. I had to bend my flare wrench to get the goddamned high pressure line off of the steering rack. Also, the way the put the clamp in on the low pressure side, I had to loosen it from under the hood, with 36" of extension.

Automotive engineers should be fucking REQUIRED to work in a mechanic's shop for 1 year.

Hondas are designed for quick and efficient manufacture. The chances of a mechanic needed to access that fitting under warranty are extremely slim (they of course don't care what happens after the warranty period). Cutting a labor time on a repair that may affect .001% of the fleet and cost an extra 30 minutes of book time for a tech obviously isn't going to be worth making the car harder to manufacture. Automotive engineers are often quite stupid but your example is not a good one.

You realize that companies like Toyota, Honda, VW, etc. all have a billion specialized tools just for their vehicles, right?

It's by design - they want you to get fucked either way. You can pay a regular (non-dealership) mechanic for 5 hours of labour and the same parts, or a dealership for 2 hours of labour at a higher rate and the same parts.

Don't underestimate the eternal Jew OP. Not even the Nippon Jew.

Manufacturers do not make money from service. Dealerships are not owned by car manufacturers.

>vw tools

There was a time when wrenches were made like that.

I found this wrench in a tool box on the side of the road. I made it into a drawer handle, but I laugh every time someone ask me how I bent it. Not bent, forged that way.

vw tools

looks like some ass ground on it

fucking kraut space magic

Dealerships make more money from service than they do from new cars sales, dildo. Companies need dealerships to sell their cars. They incentivize business relationships by offering monopolistic designs.

I thought you would know this, you're a mechanic.

Get over it.

vw tool 261

>it's all a big conspiracy!
>manufacturers purposely package vehicles in such a way where a mechanic needs special tools as an incentive for people to opened franchise dealerships, and are willing to eat warranty costs to do so
Some manufacturers do setup their vehicles in such a way to require only factory trained techs to work on them, but not in the way you suggest in your example, and not for the same reason either. Every manufacturer wants their vehicle to require as few repairs and as little service as possible, and to be as quick/easy as possible to fix. They are obviously not going to go out of their way to make it harder to make franchised dealerships more profitable.

for what purpose

>Every manufacturer wants their vehicle to require as few repairs and as little service as possible

How many shekels did they pay you to say that, shill?

Thats nice dude, good idea

Which part of the post?
If you're asking about why they made them, it's called an obstruction wrench. For getting into weird places.

If you mean why I turned it into a drawer handle, it's because I found a chest-o-drawers on the side of the road that fit my needs perfectly, but need handles. I found a bunch of old tools tossed to the road, and since I didn't need all the found wrenches, I figured to use a few of them for something cool. The second one down is a Fulton, sold by Sears before Craftsman was a thing.

vw tool 289 revision D

They being who? Do you truly believe manufacturers really care about the dealerships selling their cars to be able to make service money that the manufacturer will never see? A perfect car to any manufacturer is one that requires no warranty repairs, no service, until it gets past it's warranty and immediately turns to dust.

vw tool 387
another tool where the engineers said fuck you

vw tool 280

vw tool 381

Manufacturer makes money in the scheme by selling OEM parts, which they get to set the price on and sell them guaranteed to the dealerships which are doing the service.

Apply yourself instead of just posting like a retard before you've even attempted to think something through.

laughs in mopar

Ahh of course, manufacturers purposely take a loss on labor/parts during the warranty period by making their vehicles service intensive so they can hope to regain their money on parts markup outside of warranty on the small fraction of their vehicles that continue to get serviced at dealerships rather than independents. What a genius scam!

That looks really neat man

>Manufacturers do not make money from service.
Yes they do, from the sales of parts, from licensing the repair manuals, and they need the dealer chain to be prosperous to serve as outlets for the cars. So service is important.

My local chevrolet stealership makes most of its profit from servicing cars as the car salesman told me when I was there buying a new car. The service center is huge and always packed full of cars needing servicing. They use ala carte repairs to get the max profit. Combining multiple repairs together doesn't seem to get a reduction in labor time or shop floor space time billing even though the car is already lifted up and parts removed.

How else are manufacturers able to sell their required proprietary tools to official stealerships otherwise?

I've dealt with a bunch of bullshit OEM tools but nothing pisses me off more than Italian manufacturers intentionally going against the grain just to be edgy little fucktards.

>be me
>work on cars for fun
>only sockets i need for most jobs are your typical 8, 10, 12, etc...
>buy brembo brake kit
>go to crack bleed nut
>size 11

i hope that entire country burns.

Now you have a specialized steering rack line for Hondas

You have to look on the bright side user

You guys should buy cars that are known to be easy to work on.

Its reliability and relative ease of service are the main reasons I bought a Crown Vic.

For want of an 11-penny nail, the kingdom burned.

>you vs the guy she tells you not to worry about.jpg

I'll be honest Veeky Forums, I'm ASE certified just short of master and I have NEVER used imperial tools in my life. When somebody says "oh just use a 15/16ths or 3/4ths" I actually have no idea what size that is.

9/32 -> 7mm
5/16 -> 8mm
7/16 -> 11mm
1/2 -> 13mm (kind of)
5/8 -> 16mm
3/4 -> 19mm

Aside from using 5.5mm and 10mm all the time, we didnt really change anything.

Honda's are like Russian firearms, made to be cheap and disposable

> Buy cheap tools
> I BLAME THE MANUFACTURER OF THE CAR
> IT'S THEIR FAULT MY CHEAP CHINESE SHIT TOOLS BENT

he actually bent the wrench to make it work. its pretty much what cheap chinese tools are really made for, for making custom tools

Like i have a 48in extension made for removing bolts off the transmission of a dodge pickup.

cheap Chinese extension and a pipe

crows foot flare end wrenchs.

vw tool 86

>during warranty

There's a reason vehicles carry a 5 year warranty - they're meant to last 5 years. After that, it's wallet-raping time.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

steering rack is one of the first parts to go in
ofc its going to be the last out
what do you expect of a car made after the 1970s

So do all those VW Tools need special VW bolts?

Some dealerships try to discourage warranty repair work. They have enough non-warranty repair customers to fill up their service bays. Since warranty repair pays less, they try to invent reasons to disqualify the repair under warranty as well. That way, they can repair the problem out of warrranty. It's a disturbing trend that the previous state attorney general tried to reduce, but the current on in my state is a business-friendly republican and removed a lot of emphasis on consumer protection.

>didn't post best VW special tool

You should see what power you need to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt on late 90s hondas for the timing belt. On my accord I used a 6ft long pole as a breaker bar and jumped on the end.

>Ak47
>One of the most reliable and versatile firearms ever made

I think that's an apt comparison. Just don't see the "disposable part of it. That's German, Korean, and Italian cars.

Source: literally take a look at all the old Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, Subarus, Mazdas on the road

Just be glad it's not a fucking American car, American cars are shit to work on

I barely make minimum wage, how do i make one of those with what I have in my garage

DESU if you're poor as fuck you just need an ordinary single phase with a fuckload of reduction and a sliding mechanism for the top plate.

I'd be concerned about crankshaft specs after doing something like that.

Must have been one hell of a bolt.