/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12743
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64473.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=5705
pastebin.com/gzNVjK75
pastebin.com/xWhJXNrF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>DFT works for 42.06
>Current DF version is 43.05

But user, muh updates

But it works now

Just download the starter pack dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12743

Will quantum computers save DF?

anyone ever use Dorven Realms?

I have been trying to model my world without any success, as you can see here.

here's the bit it tried modelling

jesus, I can see it

>Have to kill a golden walking statue of trump
>because reasons
>its 2020, so adventurers usually have a background and are complex beings almost like humans
>My rng dwarf named 'Pablo' from house 'Escobar' hates weapons but has a natural inclination towards wrestling
>I am tasked with killing the fiend
>climb to the highest mountain with the new 'climbing mechanics™'
>The old guy is at the lower point of the mountain, eating people and shitting gold
>I put on my combat ceremonial wrestling mask and eat the combat secret 'enchiladas'
>swiftly jump from the top of the mountain
>As I fall, I turn to a more horizontal stance and raise my elbow as high as possible
>The slam mechanics added by the wrestling expansion arc's force exponentially rises the more you fall
>fall as many miles as millions trump has
>The game lags as it has to render the falling space as I go
>Eventually see the statue, I adjust my position to slam right into his face
>Im about to get him just right I remember that the strength of your own atacks can actually damage you now
>Half my body is a exploted mess, as I got btfo but the higher density of his armor
>Die
>From heaven I can see kids celebrating me as the 'holy dunker' and making meals in my honor

what did he mean by this?

I don't use it, and it's more than five years ago I played minecraft.

But to my layman eyes, it seems like the utility tried to generate the elevation using the biome map. Maybe you're supposed to use the elevation map instead?

Other than the shoehorned trump hate, it really sums up what I look forward to doing in future versions.

>Performing moonsaults and sentons from the tops of trees onto unsuspecting elves
>suplexing gators

this is the map in use for the elevation resource in the utility

There are two elevation map export variants - one with water, one without. Tried both?

He's a big guy.

Did they meet in a boiler room?

Looks like a shitty roadside diner.

it's some pub.

as you may have noticed, a lot of pubs are in former industrial environments, mostly because the hipsters who frequent them like to pretend that they're "poor" or "underground".

Where's the weird furry guy?

is there a utility that models your fortress?

What do you mean with model?

Holding the camera.

In what perspective? Isometric? top down? And display how? 3D Polygons? pixel sprites?

I already do that shit in game.

I mean, makes a map in minecraft of your fortress

Why didn't you say so before? Yes there is and its name is in the very post you quoted.

Oh no wait, sorry, You mean fortress. Not that I know of. Check the utilities subforum

Oh god this game can be sad as fuck sometimes.
My miner who valiantly fought off a troll singlehandedly early-game, and lost a hand for it, just kicked the bucket, standing around trying to get a drink with his one hand.
Fuck, man.

I found this, but no idea if it's still up to date:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64473.0

there was one, but it hasn't been up to date since 2010.

>that 80's style outfit
Nigga knows what's up

I think I may have fixed the issue

going for a full render

>going for a fluid gender
wtf user

fuck off autist

forgot my pic

this.

/dfg/ is a neurotypical general. whenever I see someone sperg out like that, I just want to punch them in the face and stomp their heads until they don't move anymore.

fuck, just let /dfg/ be a place for NORMAL FUCKING POPLE, not elitist shitheads who plan everything down to every last detail and claim to know everything about the game.

just fucking let /dfg/ be a place where NORMAL people can chill and discuss dwarf fortress. if you want to discuss spergy shit like game mechanics, there's reddit.

don't forget your fedoras on your way out.

hes not special, if anything that post made him sound like the 17 year old king of normies

you fuck off too

Threetoe?

For the future I want golems A LOT. We already have souls in creatures that are linked to certain skills, memories and stuff, and when Toady implements golems we'll be able to basically transfer dead's existence into various husks. I can aready imagine how cool that would be.

is there a reason my modded race can't seem to jog/run but can hang just fine?

>torch's when toady

>is there a reason
>what is causality

It's probably a gait thing. Post raws.

It's too big to post here it seems here's the creature file though

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=5705

Ummm...

>zip
Ain't nobody got time for that.
Can't you post it on Pastebin or something?

Would bang

>you stupid fat fucking frog just release the next patch oh jesus christ fucking a rimworlder just give me the next release you smug sack of fuckshit

He's being an epic troll dude. We all know perfectly well dwarf fortress players are the most autistic group on Veeky Forums, barring eve players.

I got ya

pastebin.com/gzNVjK75

pastebin.com/xWhJXNrF

My fucking sides.

>beware it's trollish spittle!

Missing the [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:GAIT shit for walk/run/sprint/etc.

How did he lose so much weight?

It's not like he's been exercising.

Less stress(!) + better food. Stress is like 90% the reason you gain weight, and now he's rich enough to buy the fanciest products possible, no cheap junk garbage.

wtf dude you stole my reaction image

Is it possible at all to create a creature that can launch quills or thorns of something? I know you can weaponise spit and stuff, and allow creatures to shoot fireballs, but how about a physical projectile?

BE NICE TO TOADY

>now he's rich enough to buy the fanciest products possible, no cheap junk garbage.
he doesn't, though.

he admits that he still drinks nothing but Dr Peppers.

I saved that one a couple threads back, sorry mate, the name just struck me as perfect.

Uh, if you use the spit layout but switch it to TRAILING_ITEM_FLOW it will shoot the specific objects, if you use SOLID_GLOB it will shoot projectiles and "envelop the target in a burst of [item]!" as I recall?

Ok, thanks max. I wanted to try mod in a pig-like race that can shoot quills from their backs like pic related, and have them settle in swamps and stuff.

Not sure what else I wanted to try adding to them, like civ ethics or whatever, so I'll just try make them a basic swamp animal for now. Any general modding tips for a novice you could spare?

That's just sugar it doesn't fuck you up on that scale.

Yeah, what said. Search creature_standard.txt for "gait" to see the tag format and the numbers to use. Different creatures move at different speeds, and if you want your critters to run SANIC FAST (or walk slowly and crawl SANIC FAST or any combination like that), you can probably do it by tweaking the numbers.

fresh OC coming through

Ethics are weird, but if I could go back when learning about modding and reorder how I did it:

Creature Variations: learn them, love them
Caste vs Creature level tags: the above really makes these important, but on their own they're a huge difference in how effectively you can express a concept
Body Default: everyfucking thing in here can be changed and fucked with, I've got sapient beards running around turning people into zombeard dwarves with [GRASP] beards
Body Detail Plans: black magic voodoo until you get the hang of them, but this is how you get the "damaged skin > muscle > bone fracture" type effects
Material Fuckery: the only thing that matters is what you name them and where you reference those names, the rest can be fucked with as you see fit, steel bone dragons ahoy!
Interaction Wizardry: love those syndrome tags, instead of having 6 interactions to change 3 creatures with 2 castes into 3 sets of 2 castes with variations, one interaction with 6 syndrome tags that select the relevant creature and ignore the rest works

I bet this is a ruse perpetrated by the (((keas)))

sweet, I'll keep it in mind

post bling

Those syn_affected_creature and whatnot tags are awesome shit. This one interaction turns those three races into body hardened super fast elbow and knee attack having kung fu murder machines.

Not super valuable, but the mental imagery of a spiked lead crown with black gems is pretty metal. Shame no one will wear it, and it's just gathering dust in a stockpile. Can't wait till the next update, where I can display it in my noble's quarters.

this game is great but for some reason lately when i've tried playing it again i lose interest after an hour or so

Maybe one day I'll be as powerful as you senpai, until then I'll just see if my pig-dudes can actually breathe properly and survive in this hostile world.

Kek. Perfect

This is a clear sign of Thermobaric corrosive brain fungus

Its most likely that you will die within a week if not treated with extreme Dwarf Fortress playing

this means you must at least play DF 3 hours a day and come up with constructive and elusive fort design

Do you feel motivated to play DF now?

like 75% of weight loss is just diet. All you need to do is eat less calories than you use. Maybe he's been laying off the carbonated drinks?

I sadly have little advice on shooting bodyparts besides trying to dummy them in as copies maybe, an item quill and body quill?

i shall try again later, too bad that i'm shit at designing stuff but i will try my best

Is it just me or does having more mega beast & titans stop humans from creating towns and tombs?

I set both to 300

>come up with constructive and elusive fort design
You should elaborate on what you mean by that.

It causes every civ to make less of everything because their pops are constantly being decimated by beast attacks.

don't worry, you'll learn

I am a theoretical DF psychiatrist, i point out the problem i do not heal it

By by breaking out of his "safe zone" fort design he might find some "fun"

I'm at a loss here guys did toady remove the ability to play as an outsider in version 43.05?

I've tried everything from changing tags from [INDEV_CONTROLLABLE]--->[OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE] but so far nothing?

Sometimes, a plump helmet is just a plump helmet.

>Cant manage to modify the complex coding of Toady

Geee i wonder

I'm asking you specifically to explain your choice of words. In what way could a fort design be considered either elusive or constructive?

Sometimes a plump helmet is a toy for butt stuff.

thanks fellows seems like that did the trick

How do i avoid my dwarves from fucking using up all the plump helmet seeds, i just want to fucking have a steady surplus of plump helmet when the fucking winter comes.

In the same way that any work of architecture IRL can?

Make cool designs, it's as simple as that.

Just forbid them from using them in cooking?

They should be forbidden in cooking by default.

That looks pretty cool.

I heard he switched from drinking nothing but soda to drinking nothing but sugarfree soda.

Neither of those words are typically used as descriptors of real word architecture.
Elusive MIGHT apply to a maze, if you were being generous, but 3-dimensional structures don't defy description or understanding except in cases of mental disability. Constructive applies to literally every free-standing man-made structure ever built.

Huh. I can start human outsiders, but I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's hardcoded for ENTITY:PLAINS?

It's covered in spikes, has a picture of a night creature's converted spouse, definitely won't melt if it gets wet, and is totally appropriate for children.

Another on bites the dust

Soon he probably fall for the vegetarian scam too

then he removes al meat product from DF

>switched from drinking soda
hey good for hi-
>to drinking nothing but sugarfree soda

Is there any way to prevent trees to grow around my fort?

i don't want to pave the entire map either and why cant i just salt the damn earth yet

Gather plants the saplings I think

I just want a more permanent solution to the growing problem

Wouldn't that stop the problem though?

Ill admit i never tried using my herbalist for that, guess it might be the closest for now if it works

Okay so how do I make my goblin adventurer become the general for his factions demon?