Engine oil overfill

Grettings Veeky Forums,

So I just overfilled my car with engine oil like an asshole due to a faulty dipstick.

So far it just started dripping oil, but i'm afraid the consequences could worsen.

Will a simple oil drain fix this, or do I need to worry about engine damage already (possibly) done?

In all likelihood its fine. Just drain to an appropriate level and drive it.

Nah it's fine.

>Faulty dipstick

Please elaborate

Thanks. I done about 30km with it until I noticed the dripping. Performance wise (being a L200 pick-up from 99) I haven't' noticed any changes.

Read online about some foam that can form, or some engine parts that can go bad due to over-pressure, but so far the truck seems fine.

No idea exactly what it is, but whatever the dipstick reads does not represent reality. Done one cold read and it was half, added the required amount until just below max, next cold read it was over it. Know it ain't the temperature because both were cold reads, and no way the amount of oil I inserted could overshoot that much.

If you have a leak, its not because of the level.
Older vehicles can have issues when type of oil is changed.
Sounds like you used a synthetic. They're notorious for leaking past old seals.
Dipsticks are not as accurate as they should be. Find out how much oil that engine is suppose to hold. Put that much in and check dipstick next time.
But chances are your rear or front main seal is toast.

Ok with that it's time for a mechanic to have a look at it. Even thought these kind of trucks are known for being tough, I want it to last and not test its limits until they break down for good.

I tried to add the oil that matches best the truck, but to be honest either i'm a complete retard or they are not specific on which one to use on the users manual.

Should I look next time for a conventional mineral one?

Dripping from where? Extra oil will get drawn into your cylinders to be burned up leaving carbon on your plugs and then clogging up your catalytic converter. My cars have longitudinal v8s I can change the plugs on in like ten minutes and no cats but it might cause more of a problem for you. Won't hurt the engine though, not directly.

Sorry for the shitty pic. This was taken from the front left side (just over the front left wheel). I can't see over the hood where it comes from unfortunately.

Here's probably a better pic of it. (Again front left).

Volvo?

Mitsubishi L200 K74T 4D56T '99 (74kw/100cv)

How much of an overfill? Friend had kinda bit of a similar issues but on his bike instead. He purposely overfills it for about 200ml because his bike drinks oil fast (rather than lacking of oil he said) it worn the seal quicker. But one time he overfills for something like 500+ml and it wears the stroke bushings (I don't know what it's called sorry)

Would love to tell exactly how much but again the dipstick isn't reliable. I would say (according to the last reading) over 1 cm. Also I added a bit of the same oil before (3 liters of it) and had no issues for 3 months. Just now after adding from medium to over-full that It started leaking.

So my question now is, is it really over-filled or is it the properties of the oil?

1cm should be fine, and as what said, leak is not because of the level unless you really really overfills it. You probably had a worn out seal.

Ok that's reassuring. My biggest concern was really for damaged engine parts and/or components. Should I just give it to a mechanic to replace the seal? And use conventional oil instead of synthetic next time?

I use 15w40 mineral on mine, and I will continue to use it.

>>Faulty dipstick
op is referring to himself here

Gotcha. Ill have a professional have a look at it because i'm not sure about how much damage was done (if any at all). Gotta stop playing mechanic.

>No idea exactly what it is, but whatever the dipstick reads does not represent reality.
Maybe the dipstick is poking into some thick sludge? I've never heard of the dipstick not being able to sense the oil level down there in the sump.

L200s are sex.

>Gotta stop playing mechanic.
No, play more.

Old seals hate synthetic oil. If you use a conventional high mileage oil, it may remedy the problem for just the cost of the oil. Conventional oils -- especially those with high mileage additives -- cause the seals to swell slightly, which makes them seal better. Synthetics don't cause as much swelling and can cause a leak in an otherwise fine high-mileage motor.

Clean the oil up around the leak, change to conventional oil, drive for a while, and see if the leak goes away. It will cost you less than having a mechanic just diagnose your problem, and WAY less than replacing a main seal.

>a faulty dipstick.

One of mine has one that is next to useless with clean oil. After first overfill decide this is bullshit.

>Have three clear bottles with marks on them.
>Fill up all bottles to marks
>Empty into engine