Which Would be Better?

I'm a first-time car buyer who just got his license.

My aunt and my grandpa each have a car they're willing to sell me, but I'm on the fence about them.

The first is my Grandpa's 2000 Cadillac Deville.
>$4500
>60k miles, only two owners
>17/24 mpg
>near perfect condition, grandpa was a mechanic and always kept it well maintained
>very light use, he rarely drives it anymore since he has so many cars now
>the only issue with it is that the leather in the driver's seat is a bit torn from old age

My main concern is that I'd be paying too much for it. Otherwise it seems like a great deal, but I'm still new to all this.

My aunt's car is a 2007 Camry LE.
>$2500
>167k miles
>24/34 MPG
>suffers from excessive oil consumption that was rampant with this model year of Camry
>would need to get an oil change every 3k miles and check on oil levels weekly
>otherwise in very good condition, never been in any accidents and no other major issues

It'd be much cheaper up front, but the oil consumption issue would require me to keep tabs on things much more often than I would need to with the Cadillac.

I can buy the Camry right now, but I'd have to wait a while before I can afford the Deville. Would it be worth waiting/saving for it?

Either car would mainly be used for driving to and from work, and not much else.

Other urls found in this thread:

nashville.craigslist.org/search/cta?postal=37013&search_distance=50
knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/6136364792.html
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6158268306.html
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6156043626.html
clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/6146850172.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

camry is much better than that junk northstar.

Buy $2500 Camry. Post it to craigslist for $5000-6000
Some teen girl's parents will buy it for her. Then go buy a car that isn't shit.

Neither. Post your local Craigslist.

>Buy $2500 Camry. Post it to craigslist for $5000-6000
In the US it's illegal to sell cars for a profit unless you have a dealer's license. You can serve up to 5 years in jail and/or a fine of $100,000 if you are caught curbstoning.

And nobody will give a fuck unless you do it at scale

That's FBI called in on a mexican running a shady car lot shit not local PD shit

You don't need a license unless you sell more than like 5 cars

Buy both, swap the Northstar engine with the Camry's V6.

Sell the Camry for scrap, now you have a reliable american landbarge.

>well maintained land boat with low miles vs a bright red girl car with oil problems
Get the deville

Post 2000 northstar sent so bad, but the deville does seem slightly too expensive. Corolla sounds like a pos. As recommended l, check your local Craigslist or equivalent

If the Caddy's really really really well maintained and he's already replacd the head gasket go for that, otherwise go to Craigslist and tell your senpai thanks but no thanks.

What's the deal with Northstar engines? Are really that unreliable?

This is objectively wrong.

GM stopped making them. I suspect there's a reason or two why...

>buy both
>daily camry for nice little commuter
>weekend DeVille for maximum comfy and low mileage

3k civic would be better than both

as much as i love caddies, the northstar isn't very good.

buy it if you intend to put new northstarperformance head studs on it and enjoy it for the rest of your life

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but

nashville.craigslist.org/search/cta?postal=37013&search_distance=50

Budget would be no more than $3500 if I go this way.

And Chrysler stopped making straight-sixes. You think there's a reason or two why?

i dont believe that the deville makes 24 mpg highway. calling bullshit. ive driven one and i barely made it from vaughan to brampton and back on 3/4 tank

Oil leaks, mostly.

Head gaskets, too.

But generally not until higher miles...100k plus.

I'd get the caddy...but maintain it. Especially the coolant. You don't want to lose a head bolt.

Buy that Cadillac. Negotiate with your grandfather. He's pricing it high because he wants you to talk business like a real man, not get sloppy seconds like your aunt is offering you. The headgasket meme is from people not knowing to use Dexcool, which was relativity new at the time, very common these days. The Cadillac is bigger, roomier, more luxurious.

That Cadillac would go for $3500 on craigslist, your grandpa is scamming you.

>suffers from excessive oil consumption that was rampant with this model year of Camry
>would need to get an oil change every 3k miles and check on oil levels weekly

If it burns oil so bad you never need to change it, just keep topping it off.

Honestly I would just start looking on craigslist

early ones had serious headgasket issues caused by bad headbolts that would react bad to the aluminum head/block, lifting the head and ruining the headgasket.

See

One of the worst posts I've ever seen

knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/6136364792.html

nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6158268306.html

nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6156043626.html

clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/6146850172.html

you should be willing to drive to at least knoxville for the right car.