/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YRSnN2ATY1Q
s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=dc9e609150957a1a187505cc8b55d712d3aabf13
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

did the infra arcana development version ever become good

the last time I played it I had D:1 fire hounds and it shit on melee.

So much shit has changed that it's probably still unbalanced as fuck. In my couple test runs, I didn't notice anything too bad though.

Worth trying out just for the massive glut of new content. The new terrains and dungeon features are really nice.

Someone made a new /rlg/ thread but faggot janitors deleted it

Because it was ~40 posts early.

Can we talk about bloatform and summon bloat? Hydraform is all gimmick with no real practical use, by the time you can cast it, you have absolutely no reason to. It's weak as fuck due to low AC and actually dangerous to use, yet for some reason it remains as a level 6 spell.

Summon Hydra is even worse. You can already summon one with shadow creatures, but it's also incredibly weak for a level 7 fucking spell. In no situation is it ever worth that many spell levels.

My greatest shame:

I want to get into Brogue, but I can't wrap my head around the control scheme. Are things like examining really only limited to the mouse, with no keyboard equivalent?

Use Tab and Enter.

You can play it solely with the keyboard, but the examine/targeting interface and travel is kind of bad.

40 posts is too soon? Who decides this?

Unless a thread moves very fast, there's no reason to make a new thread before reaching the bump limit. On Veeky Forums, that's 750 posts.

Well there's really no need to make a thread until bumplimit. On boards slower than vg you might wait for both bumplimit and page10.

And also, everyone was still posting in the old thread rather than the new one.

Actually, there's no reason to make a thread before reaching the bump limit no matter how fast the thread is moving, because having more posts past the bump limit does literally nothing, and the thread will fall down the board at exactly the same rate no matter what, depending solely on the rate of posts and new threads on the rest of the board. There might be a case for it if you tried to make a general on /b/ but why the fuck would you ever do that?

What should I add to my super fuck you car i;m making?

automated tesla turrets

A 60 liter tank filled with whiskey.

more battery
solar panels
more engine
a kitchen
a welder
a bed
giant fuck-off tanks full of every useful liquid, namely whiskey, water, gasoline, and maybe some other stuff that I can't be bothered to remember right now

More battery is planned
Solar panels are planned, this is a temporary setup until i finish the
framework
planning to use at least 1 v12 engine, more if i can find them, and then 3 v8 engines. I just need to grind mechanics to 8
I have a kitchen unit from an RV
I have a welder
added to list
added to list
I also have 2 light tanks down the road that im going to strip of tank treads and use instead of wheels

horse semen, mutagen, etc

Right, right, of course.
A mini-fridge/refridgerator. That's important.
Regular old dry-storage for books and etcetera, that too.
5 point safety harness.

Sweet vindication.

1000+ games in and only now I learned Vampires can use vampiric weapons freely, no swapping cost either. It's not even in the manual, only in the wiki. I guess reading it is not always a bad idea after all.

>its a freak the fuck out because a god damned ZOMBIE HULK SOMEHOW MAKES IT TO MY BASE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE EPISODE
>FUCK IT WE ARENT GOING DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT
>one shot him
>that was easy
>zombie grenadier shows up
>one shot him too
>realize that mushroom i ate was hallucinogenic

Now you see. Now you see how it feels.

How are you guys with roguelites? Are they discussed here? BoI and Gungeon etc?

A bunch of them is based on glitches I encountered in Castle of the Winds when I was little. When I realized "heeeeey, this open source game lets me actually add them as features!", I totally had to do so. And then I came up with more and more such traps that also wanted to be added. In fact, I sometimes have a scratchpad with me so I can quickly write down new ideas if they come to me at unexpected times, and currently it's two pages worth of traps that still want to be added. Shall I take a photo of that scratchpad as proof? :D

no

Yea
Roguelites like DDA, Elona, PCB, etc. all get discussed here

So both my legs just got melted off by a spitter, and don't look like they're going to heal on their own. I also have 0 first aid skill, so if there's some way of making a splint I don't know it.
I'm utterly helpless, move like a snail, and have pretty much totally emptied out the part of the city which has no zombies in it.

What do I do now?

Just looked up Gungeon on Youtube. Even fucking Diablo is more of a roguelike than this shit. What do you think the answer to your question could be then?

I said roguelite, not roguelike. It's the generally-accepted terminology for hybrids that have procedural levels/loot/permadeath. You guys are delightful.

/rlg/ - rogueliKe general

No wonder this general has such little activity. You're toxic.

Cool, now get out.

There used to be a roguelite gen when gungeon was popular, but now its devolved and interbred with/into /indie/, an even more fedora and slow general. Gungeon, BoI and IVAN seem to be the only things keeping that gen alive

God dammit /rlg/, never change.

serious question: why don't you consider DDA a roguelike?

Since when is IVAN considered a roguelite?

Im not saying its a roguelite, just that its keeping /indie/ alive

>>readingcomprehension

Why do you consider DDA a roguelike?
If tile-based turn-based gameplay with permadeath makes a game a roguelike then I guess fire emblem is a roguelike. Except that neither game plays like rogue

Don't answer a question with a question, faggot.

I didn't. Maybe if you could learn to read we could have an intelligent discussion. Don't skirt around a question you can't answer by resorting to name calling. Fucking inbred nigger loving retard

>I didn't
QUOTE: "Why do you consider DDA a roguelike?"

Why would they talk about a real roguelike in there?

That's like posting about Overwatch on the TF2 general.

Some wheels maybe.

I'd actually suggest modifying an existing vehicle instead of building one from the ground up. The best option is Blazemod tanks. Multiple engines take really high mechanics skill to install, so anything that starts with them is great. Even if they're all broken, since you can fix them for much cheaper than installing new ones.
If you can't find a tank in passable condition, taking any vehicle that's about the size you want still lets you skip a lot of construction steps. If you're going for the "giant dick-wagon" look, probably an RV or a semi truck.

It's true. This is one of the most autistic generals, right up there with /dfg/.

The only thing still keeping the thread clinging to life is that unlike those fags at /lite/, we have games.

Any decent MUDs? I've been playing a lot of tabletop recently, as well as a bunch of RLs, so MUDs seem like the natural progression but I don't know where to start.

It's too late, I'm too far into this project to simply abandon it. Plus, I'm only 11% away from mechanics level 8, which i need for multiple engine installs. I figure by the time i dismantle my SECOND light tank for parts and install the rest of the framework and some appliances, I'll have reached level 8 and can finish it.

please be my wife

Either get the skill to make splints* or get to a hospital and use a Mr. Stem Cell terminal to heal broken limbs.

Forests can be foraged to level Survival skill and you can craft things to level both Surival and First Aid.
*First Aid 1 Survival 2 IIRC

Remove draconian ghost breath
Having draconian ghosts breathe negative energy doesn't make sense from a

consistency standpoint (no other muts/attributes are ghostified) or from a

balance standpoint. I can't see any good reason to make draconian ghosts

significantly more dangerous if they are XL 7 or greater.

>B - a fire dragon hide {Error: Server Xtahua not found}

youtube.com/watch?v=YRSnN2ATY1Q

>character is a _

five seconds in and this guy looks on the verge of killing himself

>I really really hate it when a game calls itself a roguelike and it's not actually a roguelike
>nasal, droning voice

Which one of you is this

>that voice

I can't watch this

I thought "these anons are just usual /rlg/ assholes, that guy can't sound that bad".
I was mistaken.

i'm so bad at this game

>219 casts of Regeneration at 1 rune
>512 casts of Regeneration at 3 runes
someone please do something with this spell already

>/rlg/ will probably defend Dr ghost breath

This is a welcome change, IMO.

It's not a change though it's just a suggestion
he'd have posted the log if it was a change

s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=dc9e609150957a1a187505cc8b55d712d3aabf13

And to be clear, that's from the "master" head and thus a commit to the actual game.

well I still agree with it
I think they should remove ghosts altogether
it's a very scummy practice

>replying to bait
Fault

ghosts must exist or else it's not a nethacklike and therefore not a roguelike

Who is Dr. Ghost Breath?

A villain?

draconian ghost negative energy breath that could oneshot XL7 chars

Is folding shopping cart basket the highest storage foldable item?

>oneshot [sic]
not even spriggans get one shot from ghost draconian breath

That's not how you use sic retard

it is because the correct spelling would be one-shoot

>one-shoot [sic]

that's exactly how you spell "sic" [sic], retard

REMOVE YIG remove yig

seriously why y'all gotta breathe on me that much

What's Qazlal good for? Getting enemies to endlessly attack you until the OOD clock ticks in while you wait? No, seriously, what is he good for, i want to know, he seems super underwhelming

>clouds mostly generate noise
>elementals are absolute shit
>upheaval is good early on i guess
>disaster area often ends u

>TWO (2) eyes of draining guarding a trog altar in D:3
>Grab three levels without losing a single HP

* often ends up missing half the things on screen in favour of blasting empty terrain

massive aoe damage
free rMsl
even more massive aoe damage for tiny piety price (disaster costs like 10 piety)

Get higher invocations and learn how to manipulate LoS, which you should be doing anyway to control your blinks

you don't need a 5-tile-wide space on the inside

make those walls 2 layers thick to avoid zombo quantum tunneling

and probably hook up some cameras and set a screen up by the driver's seat so you can actually see your surroundings.

what if i sexually identify as a formicid

also our games actually have replay value
the folks in /lite/ would all get bored and quit and stop posting after achieving 100% completion in BoI/Gungeon/Nuclear Throne

yes, all that replayability value of great roguelite games suchas Elona, PCB and DCSS

excellent roguelites to replay

literally just make the buff spells tome4 sustains that reduce maxmp while active
and bring back stoneskin/phaseshift while you're at it

>ood clock
but qaz makes you clear levels faster because everything comes to you instead of you having to find it through autoexplore

to rest just go < and press 5 on a safe cleared floor

He said as a formicid, not a cockroach.

>elementals are absolute shit
Elementals are really strong in mid game, train fucking Invo user, you'll get ~4 of them with one use, they mow down everything in Lair, where you're usually the most fucked due to noise.

>clouds mostly generate noise
And do free damage. Fight in corridors.

Also passive defense bonuses are nice too. Qaz is not a great god, but he's usable.

How do you have fun with *bands?

Yes, I know
>roguelikes
>fun

But even when doing the things you're *supposed* to do in Angband/PCB, I just find the game exceedingly boring.

*Bands are probably not for you.
Try *Hacks or anything else instead.

Devs don't like it because reducing max MP does absolutely nothing for any character that isn't a dedicated conjurer/elementalist, and they're right about it. Reducing max HP was proposed as an alternative and it was received a bit better but apparently not anywhere near good enough.

If you want to know what devs think, feel free to browse through years of ##crawl-dev archive and some super obscure and even more outdated dev wiki, because nobody gives a shit that you weren't around for the last 10 years. Ooooops.

Are you playing the game in the fun diving way or the super-boring borg-style "slowly fullclear every level, never go beyond depth X without resist Y, etc" way.

If you're doing the former and still not having fun, eh maybe the gameplay just isn't for you.

I'VE DONE IT
BY GOD I'VE DONE IT

congrats on finally becoming a cute 2d girl, user

>are you dead or are you grinding
What kind of silly question is that

How easy is it to get into PCB if you've never really played Angband? I like the idea behind the *bands, but Angband is boring to me, and I wish it had more stuff.

Sil is the only exception though, it's amazing to me.

Diving only kills you if you are bad.
But if you are playing in the most boring possible way, which every player advises against, don't claim that you are
>doing the things you're *supposed* to do

>Diving only kills you if you are bad.

>It breathes

>rod of detect monsters