/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

>people who only learn graphics programming through parroting then make "learning materials" that clog search results
This is why we can't have nice things

> Upcoming Loli Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-loli-jam-2017

> Upcoming Demo Day 14
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-14

> Play Demo Day 13!
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/rmiZV5yX

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/LKEdLxdG

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
Scratch: scratch.mit.edu
Source: developer.valvesoftware.com/
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

rh73.itch.io/arkanoidtest?secret=nHUeZGLavaXNgyS1qiwXvSr3dg
youtu.be/wJ7vcun5PTo
youtube.com/watch?v=w4jy0enKoNg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Good luck with your project today, user-kun

So, I'm still not having any luck with finding a good transformation matrix setup.
I'm close, but still can't quite get it right.
Anyone know any code I can nick?

New to Unity (and programming).

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm all I want to do is have an UI image play an animation when a bool is true in another script.

How do I access the image properties from this script if I already made a public reference and dragged the UI image into said script?

Do I add an animation to the UI image and then tell it to play when the condition in the master script is met?

Dabbling around with Unity 5.6, and getting constant warnings about inconsistent line endings (Unix vs Windows). I'm on Windows, and using the new VS2017 Community version for the first time too. So what's the problem here? Does Unity create C# scripts with Unix line endings by default? I think this didn't happen in earlier versions... What do? Do I need to reformat every script inside VS, or can I change some preferences somewhere?

That's a mere fragment of a transformation matrix, and a weird variant that I don't see why anyone would need.

Or is it maybe because I'm using code copypasted from an online tutorial?

no I've had the same shit happen to me on writing fresh script both in VS and monodevelop

I just click ok and that's that.

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen with earlier versions of Unity, though I wouldn't swear on that since I've only been playing around with it a bit last year.. Did you find a fix?

>play an animation
As in, a regular video file?

the only "fix" in know off is to accept that convert prompt and be done with it.
but I've ditched Unity shortly after for its fucktarded image scaling system, so I'm not really a teacher material

no a sprite animation.

Testing out some different scales for things like characters and doors.
Those little yellow/green pillars are 1 meter long (each peg) for a total of 3

When you have your spritesheet, it should have a little arrow on the right of the asset, click on it and it'll expand the animation frames, select the frames you want and drag them into the scene, it'll create an animation from it.

Have you guys ever heard of Strange New Things?

an then can I access it like myImage.Animation.Play? or something like that.

new thread

AGDG has the best thread right here.
You know it.
I know it.
Everyone knows it.

I just remembered that Veeky Forums threads go up to 750 replies
Now I feel silly for making this thread

We can always come back here in an hour or two.

>have ideas that are simple to make yet pretty much guaranteed to be successful
>want to play them
>too Jewish to give the ideas to anyone
*austistic screechying*

steal someone else's idea

goodbye, slight variation of something 10,000 other people came up with before, you were too good for this world
we will remember you

So just make them? Retard.

Good execution is vastly more important than good ideas

That means I'll have to learn to netcode reeeeeeeee
At least I've almost got the hang of graphics programming

making rooms to introduce this stretch block mechanic

should I dumb them down some more?
I don't want to leave players confused when I use them in actual puzzles

*ghost cube extends into you*

nice

Well, I'm sure there's a logic behind this, but I can not see how it is determined where they'll extend (up or down, left or right).

This exactly, I can't see a pattern either.

i like it but it's a bit confusing. maybe put an arrow or something on them to indicate which direction they expand into

I think it's fine. Even a retard will learn on a block by block basis which way they'll go.

there is no indicator on the block

you figure out where it would extend by either extending the block and seeing for yourself or looking at what's near the block, for example another block within its extend range that has a button on it

I'm undecided on whether I want a visual indicator on the block itself or not

That sounds incredibly fun.

Is this incredibly sarcasm?

not him but i think it'll be more fun if you can more easily see how it works so you can think about the puzzle itself instead of obscuring it so a retard has to do trial and error before he can solve the puzzle

How do I get good at 3D to make robots like pic related?

Practice, maybe? Duh.

see

Reminder that it's okay to use placeholder cubes/squares while making a prototype of your game.
This is a picture of Splatoon's first prototype.

Splatoon had 29 working prototypes. Last ones was using squid kids models already.

tfw you give up on asset quality and just quickly draw some shit to fill up the place and tune level generator.
At least it doesn't feels so lonely anymore.

>upside down hearts
thinkgen.tga

It's not hearts, again.

>R loli M I N D jam R
loli jam runs April 1 to 15
post your progress in the thread to cause endless REEE from normie shitposters
upload your game to any filehost and link in the thread
if you get banned we will honor your memory
lolijam friendly irc is #AGDC on rizon.net (irc://rizon.net/AGDC)

more like #AGDP lol

You should avoid making them look like hearts then

I could care less. It's placeholder anyway.

made Zelda's sprite for meme game

Besides they look close enough like the thing they should be looking as.

Doors work properly, loading new scenes and such. That required the setup of interaction, so you can no interact with any object tagged "Interactable", and it just sends a message to ping the "Interact" function of whatever script is there, making it easy to make lots of different kinds of inteactions, such as pickups, doors, messages, queries, etc.

Also got a GameControl object set up to carry persistent data between scenes. Next up is probably expanding that into proper save/loads and remembering enemy/item info.

Sup. Unity noob here. Wrote that Pong clone yesterday, today it's Arkanoid. Again based on a tutorial with a few additions. Starting to love Unity, and thank you guys for answering a bunch of stupid questions I had.

rh73.itch.io/arkanoidtest?secret=nHUeZGLavaXNgyS1qiwXvSr3dg

What do you think, should I continue by adding more levels n stuff, or move on to the next oldschool arcade clone for practice? If the latter, which one? Creativity is not really my strong side...

Just rotate the face in the direction it will extend. Makes it clear and keeps it consistent

>Arkanoid clone
>authentic background
>authentic paddle
>authentic pain in the ass hard-to-control multiple ball powerup

To be fair, the artwork was ripped from the tutorial. Added the multiball myself, though.

wait you made this in a single day?
what the fuck

Yeah, only took a few hours. I'm new to Unity, but not to programming (nor gamedev).

Who wants to help me make this into a video game? youtu.be/wJ7vcun5PTo

Well, that sounds interesting, but will you be able to get Alex Jones pregnant?

So, I had this small idea that I might use for Loli Jam, so I started working on the prototype like 20 minutes ago. Here's what I have so far.
Does this look like it has potential to be fun?
Things I plan to add:
>obstacles (tiles you can't walk on)
>tiles that you can only walk on a certain number of time, then they become unusable
>an exit to reach
>alternate mode where there's a single counter for all 4 directions
Just imagine a cute little girl collecting candy

>Just imagine a cute little girl collecting candy
so its a puzzle game where the player sets candy down on tiles? sounds alright.
lewd every puzzle completion?

Of course!
brb calling the FBI on you

Kinda reminds me of this game
youtube.com/watch?v=w4jy0enKoNg
It was really fun game

How do I make my tilesets not look horribly repetitive? Have multiple varieties of the same tile?

Pretty different from what I had in mind, but it does look pretty fun and cute. I think I'll play this game.

playen w mask shaders

Yes, have multiple versions of a tile to create variety.

Now if only this was a game...

ok what kind of game should it be

pvp goofy wizard battles

the next runescape

guys guys
guys how about

guys

how about, guys, how about

ANIME
X-COM

The next club penguin

fuck anime. you want to appeal to the silent majority of players instead, and they dont fucking like anime garbage.

Right, let'ts make UNCHARTED CALL OF ASSASSIN BATTLEFIELD THEFT AUTO 7

I guess that's why anime games sell like hotcakes...

>its either anime or AAA Hollywood garbage

Hey, you started with generalizations, not him.

plenty of people like anime you buttfaggot

i don't even like anime and i can admit that there's a decent market for it

>tfw could code this but don't bother because can't art

Why bother.

If you leave them off at least on some of them, that gives you the option of creating rooms later with two or more switches that force you to dodge attacks and enemies while getting to another part of the room to press another one if you make a bad choice about which one to press.

tl;dr Don't mark them and make "you have chosen poorly" puzzles based on the lack of marking.

>tfw you can instantly see that these are the exact same concept explained in pointlessly different ways
This is what my life has become. These are the choices I've made. Truly, I've renounced my humanity.

Quietly drop off an idea for a Touhou XCOM in /jp/ and hope one of the good autists sees it and runs with it.

>they dont fucking like anime garbage.
I guess that's why Nier Automata sold 200,000 copies on PC and 1,000,000 on PS4 in the first week.

>runs with it
There was a bunch of support and even some preliminary groundwork done for a touhou Harvest Moon, back in 2011.

Not even autism can defeat the nodev.

What a strange comparison.

Did'n mean to be comparison.

did you see the killing floor 2 stuff i posted and make this

>3 years later and people are still using my mods
thank god i decided to make games and refuse to open a patreon for some stupid mods! i am so proud of myself!what the fuck was i thinking?

sorry I must have overlooked it
I was already busy making that reload when I asked about those animations
I got interested in that stuff when I saw escape from tarkov promo videos, but their reloads become much faster than vanilla ones because it's all XP based

Was in the middle of making my UI when I started Persona 5

Fuck, all my motivation is gone now, what do I do?

nier automata sold so much because console new big game hype + butts XD

thatsnothowitworks.exe

I feel you. It gave me inspiration to revamp my UI. It really seems that not enough games prioritize it, so when you experience such a polished and well-designed interface, it really blows you way.

howdoesitworkwiseguy.pdf

You actually think someone's going to play an indie game and think 'holy shit, this UI isn't as good as Persona'?