/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Classic Car General: Your own personal taste edition.

There was some debate in the last thread, but it's important to remember that in most places, by law a car is a classic ar 25 years old. Everybody has their own taste, keep it fun, keep it lighthearted.

What's your classic? What are your plans? What are you doing with it currently?

>78 Bronco
>semi-full-ish restoration
>almost finished with mechanical and interior work
>still a few leaks to seal up before carepet
>then I have to decide if I'm going to paint it and/or put A/C in it.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailycaller.com/2015/02/26/highway-patrol-error-results-in-hellish-roadside-experience-for-classic-car-owner-video/
sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6161631987.html
brandnewmusclecar.com/
m.summitracing.com/parts/tff-7068
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Paint it m8 it will look bad otherwise.

>76 maverick
>stop rust
>no money to stop rust
>looking for where the fuck rain water is coming from
>fucking rust man

Is there another CCG open? Where is everyone?

Probably working

Its dead as fuck in the shop today, so I've just been working on the Bronco and shit posting.

People on ccg actually have jobs. That's why it's only Poppin off on weekends

The refi game has been dead as fuck as well

I hope I can play seeing as my car is 28 years old

>Replace door latch strikers
>Clean up a small spot of surface rust
>Continue cleaning the exterior & interior of car (e.g wash, compound, polish, seal)
>Figure out why my one window will roll down, but not up (can hear the motor working)
>Figure out what tires I will get for it & get an alignment

Pic related my 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis

Volvo is doing well today, I'm considering swapping in a 4 speed manual to replace the old 3 speed.

By the way are those aftermarket coilover kits worth it? I found a set for like a grand that looked intriguing.

kek
shit posting on the way home while my brother drives

hope I can actually get a first start today. Anyone have experience with Holley street avengers? Shit is dripping from the front float bowl and it doesn't look like fuel. Definitely smells like it though.
Also I dont know much about carbureters, should I just get a rebuild kit?

80s cars, unite!

Nice looking car man, someday grandpa cars will inherit the earth.

Meant to reply to Mimi is fucking me around a bit today.

Thank you! And yes someday they will, get them now while they're still cheap and plentiful.

Probably old varnished fuel? I've never run into that personally but there isn't much else it could be unless your putting some weird shit into your gas tank.
Could be gas with some rust in it from your tank...

Might be a good idea to rebuild or replace. Also maybe take a look at your gas tank.

bad fuel is what I thought as well but I have a filter between the pump and carb and it's clean
Could I safely pull off the front float bowl without losing a bunch of tiny pieces? Might do that when I get home

Also forgot to say I replaced the tank when I bought the car because it was leaking a little.
How long does fuel have to sit to becomes bad? It sat for max 7 months before I got it started again.

Yeah man, I could see a mad max type situation where all that is left are those old hunks of metal.

Are classic cars cop magnets? I'd love to drive one but I'm scared of the cops, especially with incidents like these.

dailycaller.com/2015/02/26/highway-patrol-error-results-in-hellish-roadside-experience-for-classic-car-owner-video/

7 months is probably enough tone for that to happen. It's a little early for that but it's totally within the realm of possibility.

I'd say pull the carb apart, do it over an old towel to prevent any mess/lost tiny parts. Depending on the carb it isn't that hard. You will probably want to just rebuild it if you go that route though.

Not really in my experience. Especially if it's American built. Most cops won't give you any trouble like they would with a boiracer.

I found a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 for only $13.9k, is this a good deal?

sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6161631987.html

Get a Hazard Fraught 4" angle grinder, a wire brush for it, some paint, safety squints and vibration absorbing gloves.

Wire brush the fuck out of the rust spots and paint them.

Wear the PPE, and something more than a t-shirt because those wire brushes love to shed wires, and they make a good Michael J. Fox simulator.

Ugh. Fucking floating valve body Holleys.

You're always gonna be tinkering with that thing to get it to work right.

But yeah you that's shit gas in there, and it has either a blown out accelerator pump diaphragm or a blown out gasket. A rebuild kit is a good idea as you'll have to take it apart to clean all the goop out anyways.

NEVER leave a carb with gas in it if you're planning on leaving it sit for more than a month. Also dump fuel stabilizers in the tank.
Old gas tanks are usually open to the air, whether by design or because the fuel cap/neck has a shitty gasket, is bent, etc.

too much for the work needed (re-do exterior & find missing pieces); it'd be worth it if it was less than 10k

It's not that bad looking of a car but other user is right. Thats like a 9k mustang. At least in my area (wisconsin).

This.
Personally I'd switch out to a newer edelbroch but I could understand if you'd be reluctant to drop 400ish dollars on one.

That doesn't look like a Mach one desu.

I think they changed the body style in 71. I could be wrong though.

A Mach one has an arrow package, which means different mirrors, a lip spoiler and a small wing on the back. That one also has economy wheels, and no indication of a different appearance package.

It's probably a swapped base model.

>arrow package
Aero package

Oohhh, well I wouldn't put it past someone. Sort of like how people will build GTO clones out of tempests, or lemans and try to get GTO money out of them.

79 fire bird. street/strip. How r all yall

Sorry I meantnt trans -am

One of my favorite posters, man

I hear that. That car looks nothing like a Mach one though

user will probably want to avoid that thing then. He'll get the I know what I got treatment then get ripped off.

Yes, to the user in the previous thread, that IS my Rolls Royce on eBay, but I didn't figure anyone would care and I certainly don't expect anyone to bid.

Lel.

I agree. The motor looks good, but odds are it's got the wrong rear end and there's far to much wrong with it for the price for an engine swapped base model.

Anybody have experience with/bought from Brand New Muscle Car? Thinking about buying a '67 Shelby resto from them in the future.

brandnewmusclecar.com/

linking would probably help

1965 Ford Falcon Wagon that I bought for 1200 shekels on the 4th of July two years ago
>All the suspension is new, every part of it
>entire fuel system new
>front disk conversion and all new brake lines
>entire cooling system new
>entire electrical system is new
>Installed vintage air AC and a boomer radio with subwoofer
>carpet and bucket seats
I've been building a garage and its nearing completion, up to this point Ive been daily driving the wagon but now Im looking for a small truck to DD.
Im rebuilding the engine and replacing the c4 with a toploader and the ford 8 inch rear with an 8.8 with lsd.

Then eventually I'll paint the thing.

That's real neato, glad for you.

Opinion on vintage AC?

Good to see it's finally up and running. What are you doing for a water pump and whatnot? I'm trying to figure out what to do about accessories, I think I'm going to run a v belt to ps and alternator but do an electric water and fuel pump

It's a station wagon so theres alot of interior room, It would work better in a classic truck or car. I need to get around to tinting the windows to help it cool down. On overcast days It works pretty well but on very sunny days the heat of the sun just pierces through the windows.

I used a cooking thermometer to measure the temperature and it read 46 degrees from the vents.

I have a replacement water pump, belt driven like normal. A mechanical fuel pump too.
Solid radiator fan which robs power but it works for now. And a small electric fan on the AC condenser.

If you wouldn't mind, could I see a picture of your alternator bracket? I'm trying to see what it looks like compared to the 300

>Figure out why my one window will roll down, but not up (can hear the motor working)
how do you manually get it up?

You make me wish I had pulled the trigger on that truck when it was on craigslist

Its a triangle looking bracket thats bolted through the water pump, and theres a smaller bracket underneath to tighten it

Heres a pic of them

I might need a new alternator unless I can find a bracket for this one. Is yours internally regulated?

Ford used the same style alternator for like 50 years, the 3G altnerator is a popular swap for classic fords because it bolts right up. Took mine from a 96 taurus in a junkyard and yeah its internally regulated.

The original alternators on 60s fords were like 65 amp and 3G alternators are 90/110/130 amp so youll need to upgrade the wire that runs from the alternator to starter solenoid.

Another option is to go buy a one wire alternator, which is exactly what it sounds like you put the alternator in and run one wire to either the positive side of the batgery or starter solenoid.

Evening gents

V nice. I'm looking up one wire alternators and they look really promising and easy

This looks good

m.summitracing.com/parts/tff-7068

Evening gentlemen

Racked 200km this weekend on my bug, damn it feels good

I think I'm going to make another stupid automotive purchase to put me more in the hole tomorrow. Wish me luck boys

The Car overlords have blessed my captcha!

Make sure to get the 4 speed with overdrive my man or else you'll be pretty useless on the highway.

Dude that's pretty fuckin neat. Sounds like you got a good deal. I've been looking at A/C options for my Bronco, probaby vintage air or classic auto air. Thoughts about the latter?

Good morning, sir. Where do you live and details please on that monster.

Haha, it was a fucking pile when I bought it, barely made it home. I've put an additional 7 grand-ish into since purchase, it hasn't exactly been a smooth ride restoring it. There was a lot of hack work done to it that I had to fix.

One person pushed the button to roll the window up while another put their hands on each side of the window and glided it up. Since then the window has not got down (because we don't want to have to do that every time). Also, nobody sits next to that door (rear) so hasn't been a need to use that window.

called someone on a dirt cheap classic; is it poor form to try to start bidding over the other guy who called first in line?

If you want the car you want the car.

>'72 Maverick
>Original 250 I6 in it
Any of you dudes have any experience with carb adapters? I'm currently looking for a 1 barrel to 2 barrel conversion.
And can you guys make any recommendations for a good 2 barrel Edelbrock carb?

Once again carb adapters aren't worth a damn. Offenhauser makes a triple manifold that takes 3 single barrel carbs. Just get one of those

I'd really prefer to avoid having to buy 3 carbs if I can. Tuning one of them is enough of a pain.

No. It helps if you can show up then and there with cash in hand. First person with really money gets to buy any vehicle in selling.

i don't know if that suggestion sits right with me. feels less like a honorable agreement and more like outright cutting in line. even still i don't even know where to meet- seller said i would get a call only if the first viewer doesn't take it.

For me, I've bought and sold enough cars and bikes and stuff to have a cure that a deal isn't done until there's either pen on paper or cash on hand. Courtesy is nice. If I know the people then I'll wait but if it's Craigslist, I've had enough flakes that whoever gets there with cash first gets the deal

a company called vintage inlines makes a great carb adapter that you can use up ta a 500cfm holley or factory type carb on

>1972 Mach 1
>as restored as i can afford or care to do
>mad max

thats bretty much it f a m
i love this thing and im glad i have it running straight again. over the last four weeks, i installed a new flywheel and put in the passenger seat. sanded it down again and clear coated, today

Thanks volvo dude, any way to tell which models have the overdrive?

another bc i luv it

By the way cool Volvo dude, that a 242 also? Looks like one from the picture. What year?

Had an MRI on Friday and found out my L2 disc is herniated into my sciatic nerve. My left leg is numb and mostly useless, in addition to the crippling nerve pain I get when I stand. The good news is, I can sit with no pain, which means I can drive with no pain. The summer isn't totally shot, but it still fucking sucks.

The Binder is going to the garage on Friday for spotlight and exhaust. Tentatively.

Old pic because I've been stuck inside for 10 days. Pain meds I got today will help, I hope.

Get well soon my man. At least you can drive

Thanks bro. Amen to that, too. I took the Impala out today to go to the appointment and found the bench seat to be super comfy and had no pain. There will be a lot more cruising in my future I think, gettin pretty sick of the basement.

Interestingly, the seats in my Silverado were uncomfortable as fuck and I'm not going near the thing until I'm better.

That's kind of funny. I don't the bench in my truck is much more comfortable then the leather bucket in my Acura, I just feel like I fit better.

Looks pretty good, straight body. How much rust is there beyond the surface?

Hope you feel better man. I have a fucked back, I'm in terminal pain, so I feel ya.

Been a while fellas. I traded my 4dr Bel Air... I think I got the better deal

Fastback Fury?

Thanks, bro. I've been in Emergency Services for over 10 years and have been exposed to many who suffer pain like this chronically, but going through it myself has given me a whole new respect for them.

Sweet, sweet ride man. There's a car guy local to me that has one, he stopped driving it because "it was too fast". I'm going to try getting it from him eventually.

Just wired in my siren today. Still got to mount the equipment console, but now I have a toy to play with

1964 Myers Manx

I've got a '81 fairmont estate with the 200 and I'm loving it

plan on buying the '83 LTD from FuelInjectionSucks and putting some period correct police gear on it for a lemons theme, should be pretty interesting

ford i6 has a log manifold, the only way youre getting decent power out of it is with a 3x 1bbl

I'd start with exhaust and distributer, DUI sells a good kit

That looks oddly similar to the BF Injection on GTA Vice City, I bet it was based off that.

Have you seen EricTheCarGuy's Fairmont build?

Comfy

So I finished the weatherstripping in my Bronco finally and got all the body seams sealed up.

Has anybody ever laid reproduction carpet in? I'm going to have to do some cutting for the shifter, console, and seats. Any tips?

I like that picture

I did it in my Dart. Take your time. Lay the new carpet out on a warm sunny day so it will go back into it's moulded shape and unwrinkle. Get some chalk to mark where you need to cuut holes for seatbelt mounts, seat mounts, high/low switch, shifter, etc. measure 20 times, cut once. Cut small amounts at a time if you're not sure. Get a hair dryer or (if you're careful) a heat gun to take out any additional wrinkles that may be left from packaging.

It's not a huge deal, but you'll want to do it right because you'll be living with the results.

Pic related, before

After.

I'll also add, the carpet I installed was nowhere near factory quality. It was much thinner and did not come with a layer of sound deadening. You may want to do some extra shopping and spend a little more to get something a little better quality. Don't let price be the deciding factor.

New question from me: Halo headlights for the Impala, yea or nay?

No. They're rice. Unless you have done 18s on it and a drop, I'd avoid it for now.

That's what everyone says, man. They look so damn cool. The new Challenger is what really turned me onto them.

Pic related is a 67, but still cool as fuck. They make a set that look stock until you turn them on, $139 for the whole setup. I'm so tempted.

And one more set on a Chevelle, because the Tramadol finally kicked in and I'm feeling gooooooood.

Eh. Not my bag. I really enjoy the simplicity and looks of a stock sealed beam. Yours are also in a round housing which is nice on its own. How for it if you feel it.

Is it the actual look of the halo, or the hi-tech look of the bulbs, because this is the actual set I'd be buying if I got them. They look stock until you turn them on.

That doesn't look bad tbf. Not a fan as much of them on. Not a bad upgrade if you're going for it though.

Well, the good news is, if I don't like them it's a real easy fix. There are a couple ways to install them, too, with the halos on their own circuit or hooked in with parking lights.

I feel that man. It's a cool restomod feature for sure. What's your plan for the Impala?